Start by marking “An Act of Self-Defense” as Want to Read:
An Act of Self-Defense

An Act of Self-Defense

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  222 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
It is ten years into the future and the nation’s government is nearing financial and moral collapse. A small group (the TLR) believes deadly force is necessary to save individual liberty from the two-party political aristocracy that is Congress. They believe the imminent economic collapse will be an excuse for the dictatorial powers soon to be claimed by the federal govern ...more
Published August 2nd 2010 by Plicata Press

Jim A
Apr 01, 2016 Jim A rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of those novels that I had to remind myself several times it was just that, a novel. Scary story. Not because I think our government would do the things portrayed in the book, but due to the Patriot Act, they have the capability.

The way many of the congress critters are portrayed as corrupt is pretty much the way most citizens feel about our own congress. The hubris portrayed is probably pretty much spot on as well.

The author did a very good job on a very tough subject. Hard to not see his
Sue Nobles
Mar 13, 2013 Sue Nobles rated it it was amazing
This book was one of the best that I had read in a long while. Action packed, I was swept up with the goals of the group to make a huge and much needed change in today's government. The characters are believable and I found myself totally supporting their actions and becoming worried about their fates.
With all that is going on within Congress today, this is a timely read, that gives one hope of change although I do not condone the violence, I totally understand the reasoning.
Great read, and I c
Mike
Feb 23, 2013 Mike rated it really liked it
This is a well-written story. Whether the extreme concerns for American politics are valid or not does not detract from the fact that this is an enjoyable read. The author clearly has an agenda and is not shy in bringing it in whenever appropriate.
It is instructive in that it is often useful to get the views of those not occupying the middle ground as an aid to finding one's own position.
It is also vaguely similar to 'Day of the Jackal' in that we seem to be rooting for the 'bad' guys despite t
C.S.
Mar 13, 2012 C.S. rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
An edge-of-your-seat novel that takes us just a little way into a very possible future. Lewis envisions where the current trend toward increasing government control and decreasing freedom could lead -- to last-ditch violence by a small group intent on restoring the constitution to its rightful place and limiting the power of government and those who profit from it.

The book is sometimes repetitive and preachy, but the fast-moving plot and the well-drawn characters overcome that fault. This is a
Maureen
Jul 07, 2012 Maureen rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this read. However, having said that I must say that I also had many mixed feelings associated with the why's and wherefore's of the book. On the one hand, I agree with what these 4 individuals were pursuing, but on the other hand, totally disagreed with how they went about fulfilling their goal. This was a free book from Pixel of Ink and though I had never read this author before this book, I found he was extremely liberal in his writing, but understandable. I would recommend t ...more
Mary
Oct 22, 2014 Mary rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Politics followers; readers of politico-techno-thrillers
Recommended to Mary by: Author's sister-in-law, Charlene Teague
A good read just before state and national elections. This page turner falls in the genre of politico-techno-thriller. The Term Limits Revolution, a small group dismayed over what they see as government take-over and control of the US by professional politicians returning to Congress for decades, begins a terror campaign to force Congress to pass term limits.The reader's omniscient view of both the TLR quartet and the members of the task force set up to stop them creates sympathy for both sides. ...more
Malcolm Gregoire
What a scary tale of how much power the government yields. The story revolves around a group striving to eliminate career politicians by forcing a term limits amendment to be passed by Congress. The group goes by the TLR Term limits Revolution and give Congress a few days to allow long term incumbents to resign or they would start killing of the members 2 at a time. The DOJ thugs start out hunting them down and killing off citizens that are not tied to the TLR but were former students of the lea ...more
Jen
Sep 04, 2012 Jen rated it really liked it
Shelves:
The premise sounded interesting and it was free on the Kindle. So far I've only read the prologue. We'll see how I like it.

I've gotten about 57% of the way through and was enjoying it. Now the characters are either doing stupid things or thinking about doing stupid things and I just can't take it. I don't know if they are doing stupid things to further the plot along or not and I don't want to find out right now. This isn't a DNF, it's a putting down to continue later. If this wasn't on the Kin
Susan Barton
Mar 12, 2013 Susan Barton rated it it was amazing
From its informational beginning, edge-of-your-seat middle, to its climactic ending, An Act of Self-Defense will elicit a variety of emotions from readers.

Set in the near future and centering on the approaching collapse of an over-burdened, government-manipulated economy, a grass roots group of professionals has secretly been planning for two years and is now ready to act. Professor TJ Stewart and a small group of followers, calling themselves the Term Limits Revolution (TLR), believe strongly t
Dale Halling
Feb 15, 2014 Dale Halling rated it it was amazing
This is a political novel built around term limits. Mr. Lewis turns this esoteric topic into a first rate thriller, in which he demonstrates the dangers of the NSA’s blanket surveillance of Americans and the dangers of the Patriot Act. My only comment is that bureaucrats also need to be term limited. A long term bureaucrat in the EPA can do as much or more damage than a Senator or Representative. Looking forward to the next book.

DK Halling Author of Pendulum of Justice
Cynthia E. Russell
Term limits!!

I love this book! the question of initiating term limits on congress is so relevant. the author explained the term limit debate very effectively. I loved the tech aspect of the fight for liberty. everyone whether dem or rep needs to read this book if just for the great discussions that will come from it. we alwAys vote for change but it never happens. maybe this book will make more people sit up and take notice.

Heidi
Aug 25, 2015 Heidi rated it really liked it
Four individuals believe in term limits for all members of Congress. The form a group called the TLR. Congress has to pass the amendment, or the group will start killing off long term members.

An Act of Self-Defense is a well written book with no errors that I could find. Those type of books are hard to find today. You can also see the passion the author has for incorporating a term limits into the Constitution. Mr. Lewis makes his points clear to his audience. He also shows how much power Con
Norm Berls
Jul 30, 2015 Norm Berls rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent plot that moves along quickly without long intervals of talking heads.

Characters are contemporary and very believable. This is a tale of official corruption and ruthlessness. The protagonists are desperate people who have run out of options.. This is the best yarn I've read in a long time... I read a lot.
Kathie
Oct 23, 2014 Kathie rated it really liked it
Well-written and researched. While I didn't totally agree with the author's definition of "liberty" and his views on less government, I whole-heartedly appreciated his character, Congressman Ray's, explanation of the need for term limits and civilian legislators vs. career politicians. Especially enjoyed reading these political views offered in a fictional action thriller. A great way to express one's politics thoughtfully.
Lawrence P.  Lauck
Mar 13, 2016 Lawrence P. Lauck rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A real page Turner, read it in one setting.

This is a great action/political novel that tells a great, unfortunately all to possible, story. Well written with a great plot. I really could not put it down (except for meals) until finished.
Chris Winegarden
May 03, 2016 Chris Winegarden rated it really liked it
If you enjoyed the Alex Cross series by James Patterson then you should consider reading this political thriller. An Act of Self-Defense reminds me of V for Vendetta, except there is a group of revolutionaries and not just one man. A decent read.
Caryl Schienvar
Jun 02, 2014 Caryl Schienvar rated it it was amazing
An important book to read, especially given the apathy of most Americans towards the politicians they elect year after year with no thought to what they really do in Washington.
Mr Lewis' story is an eye opener. Highly recommend this book.
Larry Blagg
Jan 25, 2016 Larry Blagg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding

This book hit on so many of today's issues, it makes one wonder if we are heading this exact direction.

Looking forward to the next book by Erne Lewis.

Outstanding first novel.
Bill
Jun 07, 2016 Bill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Only the good die young

I read this book in one sitting. Fast paced, and sadly, more truth than fiction. But then we all know the capability of the NSA and that power can corrupt.
Patrick Peterson
Aug 16, 2011 Patrick Peterson rated it really liked it
Very, very engaging thriller by a new author who really knows his stuff. In the Tom Clancy style of suspense and intrigue and powerful, timely themes.

The theme of this book is that Term Limits is a crucial concept to promote liberty.

Libertarians and conservatives will be very engaged in the dialog on principles and tactics. They may not agree with all parts, but the ideas will be super refreshing in their tone, depth and clarity. I finished this book very fast and could hardly put it down. Can't
Rick
Feb 19, 2013 Rick rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It is so very well written and so accurate that it was difficult at times to distinguish the book from real life. The plot develops and twists and is unpredictable. The characters are very real for "normal" people who felt passionate enough about their beliefs and their country that they performed unspeakable acts to accomplish their goal.

The characters were very real and you could feel their pain and internal struggle with their consciences. I have already recommended this b
Carl
Oct 08, 2013 Carl rated it really liked it
Take "1984", put it in today's political climate, exaggerate it a bit and you've got "An Act of Self Defense". While this book is a novel, it's not that far off base from what is happening to personal liberties and the expansion of federal government powers, and it's downright scary. Perhaps rather than calling this a political thriller, it should be placed in the horror genre. Great read. Highly recommended reading for Libertarians, Independents, Republicans, and Democrats alike. Remember...it' ...more
Linda
Mar 08, 2014 Linda rated it really liked it
Midway through the book I realized what the fate of the TLR members would be. On the last page I knew the fate of their ideals and goals. This work of fiction ran close to home. This author put into words the things I can only think, and I am scared to death of the thought police! Afraid or not, I thought about Thomas Jefferson, habeas corpus, Guantanamo, the Patriot Act, privacy in the bedroom, torture, and on and on. This is one book I will not forget.

Thank you, Mr. Lewis, for an exceptional r
Rhod
Feb 13, 2013 Rhod rated it liked it
Interesting story about an extreme group who decide to take on the U.S. government - promoting term limits and severing the relation of members of congress to special interests. They threaten to kill some long term members of congress until the congress passes a law limiting the years any member of congress can serve. Then they cannot return to the capitol for any reason for ten years. Yummy idea, and the book takes you on a pretty wild ride.
Tom Park
Apr 04, 2012 Tom Park rated it liked it
The author, a self-avowed libertarian, takes real pleasure in dissing Congress, Federal law enforcement agencies, and a minor list of other offenders. His protagonists are not all that lovable either. While I may not feel warm and fuzzy about big government, I do believe he was a little heavy handed, which detracted from the novel. Also, the long dissertations on the evils of government were a bit much.
Dianne
Nov 29, 2015 Dianne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Edge of seat suspense

This is a very thought-provoking novel. What will it take to reduce the size and scope of government to that envisioned by the Founders? Would government agents really use torture and murder against citizens to ensure the continuance of the expansive state?
Michael
Mar 14, 2013 Michael rated it it was amazing
This is a political thriller that I had a difficult time putting down. There are plot twists and turns that are cleverly executed, and careful attention paid to character development. My only complaint is that I reached the end. I will be the first in line to purchase Mr. Lewis's second book.
Bob
Jul 16, 2012 Bob rated it really liked it
Good stuff, given the subject matter. Typical books in this genre have cookie-cutter evil antagonists, and overly heavy writing. This one has imperfect protagonists and conflicted antagonists. The future, while dystopian, isn't that unbelievable. Far too much of it is already real.
Scott
Mar 05, 2014 Scott rated it really liked it
Real page turner. Well written. Very exciting story.
Shannon
Jan 10, 2013 Shannon rated it really liked it
"An Act of Self Defense" is convincing as a political thriller and as a book of prophecy. The author pulls the strings of our most common societal fears and allows us to flow along with the story. A good read; a scary future.
Small Government ...: An Act of Self-Defense 7 10 Apr 14, 2013 07:50PM
When is violence justifiable with regard to our government? 1 6 Mar 13, 2013 10:41AM
  • Noble Vision
  • Time Will Run Back: A Novel About the Rediscovery of Capitalism
  • Rabbit in the Moon
  • State of Rebellion (Pug Connor, #1)
  • Zero Sum, Entire Trilogy Bundle
  • November Echo
  • White Jade (The Project, #1)
  • The Fallen (Derek Stillwater, #3)
  • The 19th Element (James Becker, #1)
  • The Founders' Plot
  • The 34th Degree (Sam Deker, #2)
  • The Shut Mouth Society
  • The Third Coincidence (Jack McCall Mystery #1)
  • Bella
  • Sound of Blood
  • Winner Lose All
  • Blood Money
  • North Slope
Erne's early years were in Hobart, Oklahoma, a small town in the southwest corner of the state. He moved to Seattle after graduating from the University of Oklahoma. His professional life, until 1974, was as an architect in the Seattle area. In 1974 he and two associates began a new aquaculture venture that grew to become a major source of salmon for the Oregon and Washington coast. Erne was its p ...more
More about Erne Lewis...

“A politician in our democratic government is a broker for the use of government force to the highest bidders.” 1 likes