An Act of Self-Defense

An Act of Self-Defense

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  114 ratings  ·  25 reviews
It is ten years into the future and the nation’s government is nearing financial and moral collapse. A small group (the TLR) believes deadly force is necessary to save individual liberty from the two-party political aristocracy that is Congress. They believe the imminent economic collapse will be an excuse for the dictatorial powers soon to be claimed by the federal govern...more
Published August 2nd 2010 by Plicata Press

Sue Nobles
This book was one of the best that I had read in a long while. Action packed, I was swept up with the goals of the group to make a huge and much needed change in today's government. The characters are believable and I found myself totally supporting their actions and becoming worried about their fates.
With all that is going on within Congress today, this is a timely read, that gives one hope of change although I do not condone the violence, I totally understand the reasoning.
Great read, and I c...more
Mike
This is a well-written story. Whether the extreme concerns for American politics are valid or not does not detract from the fact that this is an enjoyable read. The author clearly has an agenda and is not shy in bringing it in whenever appropriate.
It is instructive in that it is often useful to get the views of those not occupying the middle ground as an aid to finding one's own position.
It is also vaguely similar to 'Day of the Jackal' in that we seem to be rooting for the 'bad' guys despite t...more
Linda
Midway through the book I realized what the fate of the TLR members would be. On the last page I knew the fate of their ideals and goals. This work of fiction ran close to home. This author put into words the things I can only think, and I am scared to death of the thought police! Afraid or not, I thought about Thomas Jefferson, habeas corpus, Guantanamo, the Patriot Act, privacy in the bedroom, torture, and on and on. This is one book I will not forget.

Thank you, Mr. Lewis, for an exceptional r...more
C.S.
An edge-of-your-seat novel that takes us just a little way into a very possible future. Lewis envisions where the current trend toward increasing government control and decreasing freedom could lead -- to last-ditch violence by a small group intent on restoring the constitution to its rightful place and limiting the power of government and those who profit from it.

The book is sometimes repetitive and preachy, but the fast-moving plot and the well-drawn characters overcome that fault. This is a...more
Maureen
I really enjoyed this read. However, having said that I must say that I also had many mixed feelings associated with the why's and wherefore's of the book. On the one hand, I agree with what these 4 individuals were pursuing, but on the other hand, totally disagreed with how they went about fulfilling their goal. This was a free book from Pixel of Ink and though I had never read this author before this book, I found he was extremely liberal in his writing, but understandable. I would recommend t...more
Jen
The premise sounded interesting and it was free on the Kindle. So far I've only read the prologue. We'll see how I like it.

I've gotten about 57% of the way through and was enjoying it. Now the characters are either doing stupid things or thinking about doing stupid things and I just can't take it. I don't know if they are doing stupid things to further the plot along or not and I don't want to find out right now. This isn't a DNF, it's a putting down to continue later. If this wasn't on the Kin...more
Susan Barton
From its informational beginning, edge-of-your-seat middle, to its climactic ending, An Act of Self-Defense will elicit a variety of emotions from readers.

Set in the near future and centering on the approaching collapse of an over-burdened, government-manipulated economy, a grass roots group of professionals has secretly been planning for two years and is now ready to act. Professor TJ Stewart and a small group of followers, calling themselves the Term Limits Revolution (TLR), believe strongly t...more
Dale Halling
This is a political novel built around term limits. Mr. Lewis turns this esoteric topic into a first rate thriller, in which he demonstrates the dangers of the NSA’s blanket surveillance of Americans and the dangers of the Patriot Act. My only comment is that bureaucrats also need to be term limited. A long term bureaucrat in the EPA can do as much or more damage than a Senator or Representative. Looking forward to the next book.

DK Halling Author of Pendulum of Justice
Caryl Schienvar
An important book to read, especially given the apathy of most Americans towards the politicians they elect year after year with no thought to what they really do in Washington.
Mr Lewis' story is an eye opener. Highly recommend this book.
Patrick Peterson
Very, very engaging thriller by a new author who really knows his stuff. In the Tom Clancy style of suspense and intrigue and powerful, timely themes.

The theme of this book is that Term Limits is a crucial concept to promote liberty.

Libertarians and conservatives will be very engaged in the dialog on principles and tactics. They may not agree with all parts, but the ideas will be super refreshing in their tone, depth and clarity. I finished this book very fast and could hardly put it down. Can't...more
Rick
I loved this book. It is so very well written and so accurate that it was difficult at times to distinguish the book from real life. The plot develops and twists and is unpredictable. The characters are very real for "normal" people who felt passionate enough about their beliefs and their country that they performed unspeakable acts to accomplish their goal.

The characters were very real and you could feel their pain and internal struggle with their consciences. I have already recommended this b...more
Carl
Take "1984", put it in today's political climate, exaggerate it a bit and you've got "An Act of Self Defense". While this book is a novel, it's not that far off base from what is happening to personal liberties and the expansion of federal government powers, and it's downright scary. Perhaps rather than calling this a political thriller, it should be placed in the horror genre. Great read. Highly recommended reading for Libertarians, Independents, Republicans, and Democrats alike. Remember...it'...more
Rhod
Interesting story about an extreme group who decide to take on the U.S. government - promoting term limits and severing the relation of members of congress to special interests. They threaten to kill some long term members of congress until the congress passes a law limiting the years any member of congress can serve. Then they cannot return to the capitol for any reason for ten years. Yummy idea, and the book takes you on a pretty wild ride.
Tom Park
The author, a self-avowed libertarian, takes real pleasure in dissing Congress, Federal law enforcement agencies, and a minor list of other offenders. His protagonists are not all that lovable either. While I may not feel warm and fuzzy about big government, I do believe he was a little heavy handed, which detracted from the novel. Also, the long dissertations on the evils of government were a bit much.
Michael
This is a political thriller that I had a difficult time putting down. There are plot twists and turns that are cleverly executed, and careful attention paid to character development. My only complaint is that I reached the end. I will be the first in line to purchase Mr. Lewis's second book.
Bob
Good stuff, given the subject matter. Typical books in this genre have cookie-cutter evil antagonists, and overly heavy writing. This one has imperfect protagonists and conflicted antagonists. The future, while dystopian, isn't that unbelievable. Far too much of it is already real.
Scott
Real page turner. Well written. Very exciting story.
Shannon
"An Act of Self Defense" is convincing as a political thriller and as a book of prophecy. The author pulls the strings of our most common societal fears and allows us to flow along with the story. A good read; a scary future.
Wayne
Loved it! Well written, fast paced at the appropriate times. Wasn't sure how it was going to end, even pages from the ending! Looking forward to the author's next book.
Deb
This book will put you on a political roller coaster. The author describes himself as a "libertarian political activist". Curious as to what others think after reading.
Elizabeth Newton
Actually a very engrossing fictional work that addresses real issues.
Bill Gable
Excellent book - perfect fit into my conspiracy theory, x-files belief system!
Lucie
Fascinating story, very up to date.
Pap
A real thriller. Couldn't put it down!
Linda Goossen
It really makes one think!
Vickie
Vickie marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Scott
Scott marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
John Neveu
John Neveu marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Jen
Jen added it
Jul 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Small Government ...: An Act of Self-Defense 7 9 Apr 14, 2013 07:50PM
When is violence justifiable with regard to our government? 1 5 Mar 13, 2013 10:41AM
Erne's early years were in Hobart, Oklahoma, a small town in the southwest corner of the state. He moved to Seattle after graduating from the University of Oklahoma. His professional life, until 1974, was as an architect in the Seattle area. In 1974 he and two associates began a new aquaculture venture that grew to become a major source of salmon for the Oregon and Washington coast. Erne was its p...more
More about Erne Lewis...

“A politician in our democratic government is a broker for the use of government force to the highest bidders.” 1 likes