Start by marking “Dead Head: A Dirty Business Mystery” as Want to Read:
Dead Head: A Dirty Business Mystery

Dead Head: A Dirty Business Mystery (Dirty Business Mystery #3)

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  283 ratings  ·  58 reviews
Fugitive Mom. That’s the tabloid headline that has unearthed a whole world of trouble for Paula Holliday. Someone she thought she knew has been revealed to be an escaped convict. Hiding in plain sight—in her own New England town!

Wanted criminals and secret identities have always seemed like the stuff of novels or television dramas to Paula. But ever since she somewhat acci
Published March 29th 2011 by Minotaur Books (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Head, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Head

Kat
Ellz Readz
My thoughts... Let me begin by saying two things. One, this is not my usual genre, I wanted to read this book solely for the cover. Second, this is book three in the Dirty Business series, which I did not realize until I was part way through the book. Keeping those things in mind, I enjoyed reading Dead Head.

While having a bit more background on the characters may have made it more personal, Harris did a brilliant job of creating a world where readers can jump in and make friends. The character
Brenda
I really liked this book. It was refreshing to read a good mystery after all of the romance stuff I've been reading of late. This was a good mystery in that the woman who was put into the position of having to find the "whistle blower" that put a woman who had excaped jail as a young person and lived in the community for years with a husband and children, an entire life that was so different of that from which she had fled. The women who has to find out who did the deed of contacting the authori ...more
Ellen
Paula to the rescue, August 3, 2012
By Ellen Rappaport (Florida)
This review is from: Dead Head: A Dirty Business Mystery (Dirty Business Mysteries) (Hardcover)
This is the continuation of the Dirty Business mystery series, which I had grown to love from the first of the series "Pushing Up Daisies".

Paula's relationships with Babe (owner of the Paradise Diner), Mike O' Malley (Sergeant at the local police dept.)and Lucy Cavanaugh (Paula's bff and journalist) have really begun to grow. Their inte
Rhonda
Review: Dead Head by Rosemary Harris
4 STARS
I enjoyed reading Dead Head. It is the third Dirty business mystery. I now want to go back and read the first two and look forward to the fourth one coming out soon.
Paula Holiday is a gardner and she is known to look into things sometimes. She doesn't have an office but she hangs out in a diner and does planting for it.Caroline A friend wants to go into business with her and buy the old Nursery plant business. Caroline would front the money and put it
Jack Getze
Ms. Harris is a wonderfully entertaining writer, and you will love DEAD HEAD if you enjoy hanging out with quirky characters, laughing out loud, and don't need rough language or serious violence to have fun. The protagonist Paula -- a financially challenged landscaper -- has a tongue sharp enough to fell trees, knows where to kick aggressive males, and owns a very likeable view of the world. You will enjoy her comments on just about everything. Example: "She made disparaging remarks about my hai ...more
April
DEAD HEAD by Rosemary Harris is an intriguing contemporary cozy mystery set in present day Connecticut. It is the third in "Dirty Business Mystery",but can be read as a stand alone. Book One,"Pushing Up Daisies,Book Two, "The Big Dirt Nap". It is written with depth and details.The characters are witty,intriguing,and love capture your heart. The plot is easy to follow and believable.It has a fugitive from justice,murder,female gardener's, mystery,suspense,Paula Holliday,a wise cracking amateur sl ...more
Lisa
Paula Holiday left the stress and grind of New York City for a “smaller and simpler life” in Springfield, CT. She runs a landscaping business, Dirty Business, helping realtors dress up the houses they’re selling and local businesses put in pretty patios. Her friend and client, Caroline Sturgis, has approached Paula about opening a business. The offer appears to good to be true and you know what they say about offers like that. When Caroline is arrested and “Monica Weithorn” is the name on everyo ...more
Ed
#3 in the Dirty Business Mysteries series. Paula Holliday is a landscape gardener in Connecticut in this quirky, funny series. Recommended.

Dirty Business Mysteries - Paula Holliday learns that one of her best clients, Caroline Sturgis, is actually Monica Jane Weithorn, who escaped prison 25 years earlier. Paula had been considering going into partnership with Caroline. Caroline's distraught husband hires Paula to discover who turned his wife in to the authorities.
Beth
A financially well-off woman is found, after 20-plus years, to be a fugitive from the law; and a financially hard-up landscaper/gardener finds the person who turned her in.

Carolyn is a rich suburbanite with a husband and three kids, living in a nice neighborhood in Connecticut. Then some suspicious strangers came to town and blow her cover.

Years ago Carolyn was Monica. She lived in Michigan, and she had been sentenced to 20 years in jail on drug charges. She escaped. Now, after so many years of
Chi Dubinski
Paula Holliday, owner of Dirty Business landscaping, is keeping her head above water with her business--just. When a local well-to-do soccer mom, Caroline Sturgis, suggests that they go into business together, Paula drags her feet. She doesn't want to take on more debt, and to be honest, Caroline is just a little to fond of her afternoon drinks and never seems to finish what she starts. But Caroline has a secret, and it rocks this little Connecticut town. Fun series, with interesting characters.
Barbara
Really enjoyed this book.

I tend to gravitate to mysteries. I really like a complete story, which mysteries usually provide - a beginning, middle and end.

Having read so many, however, I am getting tired of the repetitive plots and characters. This has a jaded, woman central character, Paula Holliday, who has trouble with relationships with men, has her own profession (non-licensed landscape architect), but is has talent as an "amateur" investigator. These women are starting to become a cliche.
Laurie
Very easy reading. I give it a 3.5. It definitely keeps you interested to finish the book. Worth reading if you like mystery books.
Julia
It's hard to resist a tag line that says "fugitive mom". As a resident of this small Connecticut town, Paula Holliday has already enjoyed some success as a sleuth in the earlier books in this series. I got a kick out of this mystery,and didn't find it a problem to enter the series with book three. Rosemary Harris has written a smart, contemporary style cozy. For those who turn up their noses as cozies because they think they always involve little old ladies and cats, think again! This is worth a ...more
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
This is a nice cozy mystery. The third book in the series apply named "The Dirty Business Mysteries" (the protagnist is a landscape gardener) the mystery in Dear Head revolves around a woman who walked away from prison 20 years ago creating a new identity. She has just been caught and Paula Holliday, our landscape gardner tuned sleuth, is ask to find out what really happened. The plot is well-developed, the characters are believable, and the story moves at a nice pace. My only complaint is that ...more
Kristen
In the third installment of the Dirty Business series, Paula Holliday is in way over her head in another mystery of her own. While her business is running slow, she watched one of her friends get arrested. While it shocked the sleepy town of Springfield, Connecticut, she uncovered the truth behind the backstory of that scandal. While she's uncertain on Mike O'Malley's feelings for her, she runs into some nefarious characters as possible suspects, while she fended for herself to get to the truth. ...more
Tarasview
I have really enjoyed reading The Dirty Business Mystery series. Dead Head has a great storyline and held my interest the whole way through. I think you could get away with reading Dead Head even if you haven't read the first two books in the series but knowing the background certainly enhances the story. I love the characters in this series. Rosemary Harris has created a fascinating and entertaining cast! They are the type of characters that would make an excellent movie or TV series too.

I hope
Donna
Dead Head (Dirty Business Mystery #3) by Rosemary Harris

This series just keeps getting better. I read this in one sitting. I couldn’t put it down. Paula and cohorts are finally coming into their own skin.
Everybody has secrets and Caroline Sturgis’s are a little more interesting than most. The suburban hockey mom is an escaped convict. Whoda thunk? Paula, Lucy, Babe and Mike O’Malley are out to figure out who leaked her new identity and why.

A fun, mystery and I am running out to get Slugfest (D
Maryellen
Paula is a gardener trying to stay afloat in these hard economic times. Caroline is a member of the velvet headband brigade. Paula gets drawn into murder when Caroline is arrested. Well-written cozy mystery series.
Writing strong and true characters seems to be the author's strong point here. The only thing that irks me, and I've seen this in other cozy mystery books where a woman is the hero, is the adversarial relationship/potential romance with the local police chief/detective/sheriff. The wa
Donna Bills
Paula, the owner of Dirty Business, a landscaping business, keeps getting tangled up in these little mysteries. In her latest adventure, a client who wants to be a business partner and friend has a secret that shocks their little town. Paula and her quirky friends are drawn into the intrigue. This is a great mystery for those of us drawn to snappy dialogue and an interesting plot more than explicit sex and violent struggles.

Ms. Harris'writing style just keeps getting better. I will be looking f
Kayte
ok, so having read all three of the Dirty business series to date, I can honestly say that I'm ambivelant about any further books. They weren't bad, they weren't fantastic, but the latest installment just follows the exact same formula set up by the first two. The ending felt like it was a long time coming, and then no action, just resolution. It's like eating a donut. It seems like a good idea, you like the way it tastes while you're eating it, but afterward, you just feel kinda...let down.
Jan
Dead Head by Rosemary Harris was a light but well written, quick witted mystery involving my favorite gardener turned investigator. Harris has fleshed out her characters - they are well developed and the personalities and dialogue are not stilted or contrived and her stories read well. In Dead Head, Paula's friend, Caroline, is arrested for being a supposed drug dealer who escaped from prison some 18 years ago. Paula becomes embroiled in the case and does her best to exonerate her friend.
Susan
Gardener/landscaper Paula Holliday and others in the exurban town of Springfield are shocked when the feds arrive to accuse a respected citizen of being a wanted prison escapee. Paula is asked to investigate and figure out who tipped off authorities, but soon learns that everyone thinks it was she herself who is the tipster. To clear her own name, she must plumb her friend's past, all the way back to the original conviction two decades earlier.
Tam
This series is fast becoming one of my favorites. Great characters, riveting plots and this one is the best of the bunch.
Emily
I picked up this book solely on the fact that I liked the cover, even though this is the 3rd book in a series and I hadn't read the previous two. I think it can be read as a standalone novel though. This is a quick read and the plot is very interesting- complicated enough to keep you interested, but no so much so that you get confused and give up. I look forward to reading more by Rosemary Harris.
Lorri
This is the first book in this series that I have read, but it was easy to follow along. I liked most of the characters, especially Babe. She had spunk. I went back and forth a few times trying to guess 'who done it', but was a little surprised by a few events. It seemed like Paula was more intelligent than the police, asking questions that they didn't care to. All in all, a pleasant read.
Gretchen
This is the third book in this series.
Paula owns a landscape business. Her friend and wealthy client Caroline is arrested as a fugitive from justice. She's been on the run 25 years. Her husband hires Paula to nose around and find out who tipped off the police and to prove she was framed all those years ago in the first place.
I like these characters.
Tricia
Back in her small town, Paula has yet another mystery to uncover, and all of my favorite people were there. Smart and witty, yet too often I wonder why she decides to check things out on her own, it kinda messes up the whole idea of her being smart... Still fun to read, and not too heavy on anything except maybe the sarcasm. ;)
Melodie
I read the first in this series a year or 2 ago and wasn't crazy about it. I thought this one would be better, but I liked it even less. I am just not a gardening person at all, and I think that's why this series doesn't do anything for me. I'm not real nuts about the protag either. I'll leave this series alone from now on.
Nori
Maybe it would be more like a 2 and 3/4 star because I liked it, it was an interesting mystery and fun story. But even though I would read the other books where the same character stars, I would probably not read the books again and again.
  • Silent Auction (A Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery #5)
  • Raining Cat Sitters and Dogs (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery #5)
  • Dying for a Date (Laurel McKay Mysteries #1)
  • Shoulder Bags and Shootings (Haley Randolph, #3)
  • Mulch
  • Drive Time (Charlotte McNally, #4)
  • Baja Florida
  • Wicked Craving (Savannah Reid Mystery, #15)
  • Feline Fatale (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery, #9)
  • Murder on the Bride's Side (An Elizabeth Parker Mystery #2)
  • Poisoned Petals (Peggy Lee Garden Mystery, #3)
  • Death by Killer Mop Doll (Anastasia Pollack Crafting Mystery, #2)
  • Present Darkness (Detective Emmanuel Cooper, #4)
  • White Crosses
  • Cruising in your Eighties is Murder
  • Bedeviled Eggs (Cackleberry Club, #3)
  • Stork Raving Mad (Meg Langslow, #12)
  • Red Delicious Death (Orchard, #3)

ROSEMARY HARRIS has worked in marketing for Crown Publishers and American Express Travel Related Services and as a producer for Disney/ABC and WNET. She lives in New York City and Connecticut.

Series:
* Dirty Business Mystery
More about Rosemary Harris...

Dirty Business Mystery (5 books)
  • Pushing Up Daisies (Dirty Business, #1)
  • The Big Dirt Nap (Dirty Business, #2)
  • Slugfest (Dirty Business Mystery #4)
  • Corpse Flower (Dirty Business Mystery, #2)
Pushing Up Daisies (Dirty Business, #1) The Big Dirt Nap (Dirty Business, #2) Slugfest (Dirty Business Mystery #4) The Bitches of Brooklyn Corpse Flower (Dirty Business Mystery, #2)