Start by marking “Legend (Legend, #1)” as Want to Read:
Legend (Legend, #1)

Legend (Legend #1)

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  203,476 ratings  ·  16,626 reviews
What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic's highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. ...more
Published November 29th 2011 by Putnam Juvenile (first published January 29th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Legend, please sign up.

Denise Salvanera Yes. I just saw it at Imdb Pro. It's currently on development. The anticipated release year is 2016. I hope they pick a good cast :)
City of Ashes by Cassandra ClareHush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickCity of Glass by Cassandra ClareClockwork Angel by Cassandra ClareMarked by P.C. Cast
Books That Should Be Made Into Movies
40th out of 20,227 books — 54,261 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsDivergent by Veronica RothMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsInsurgent by Veronica Roth
YA Dystopia Novels
11th out of 764 books — 8,497 voters

More lists with this book...

Marg K.
Hmmm, where do I begin this review and how do I do it tactfully? Oh, screw it! No sugar-coating here. Strap on some bubble wrap, people. This ride is gonna get bumpy.

So, the story is told from two alternating points-of-view: one belonging to June (the heroine) and the other belonging to Day (the hero). Unfortunately, a major problem arises with the fact that both June & Day come off sounding like the same exact person. Seriously. Their voices were pretty much indistinguishable throughout mos
Marie Lu
Apr 22, 2011 Marie Lu rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Well, it's mine....so, er...yeah, a little biased. :) Shameless. I know, I know!
Kira
A little while ago I was cleaning all the dust and papers and shit out from under my bed, and I found a plastic box full of last year's Christmas presents and decs.

You all know how it is. You start off tidying up but then you find something you forgot you had like a Katie Morag book or a recorder and you spend like a half an hour just fucking around with it and by the time you get back down to business, you can't be bothered cleaning any more and it all gets kicked right back under the bed beca
Giselle
I'm such a sucker for dystopians. I love the energy, the rush I get from them. When I got my copy of Legend I was thrilled. Now I know I had a good reason to be. This is one of the good ones. A dystopian well worth reading!

We've got two narrators: the notorious criminal, Day, and the noble citizen, though a little rebellious, June. Day has escaped death before, and he's only trying to survive while taking care of his family, especially his sick brother. June got a perfect score on her Trial and
Arlene
Jul 22, 2011 Arlene rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: YA Dystopic Fans; Hunger Games Fans
Recommended to Arlene by: Street Corner Book Tour - ARC Flannery
Are you kidding me!?!? What just happened?!?

This book is ABSOLUTELY UNPUTDOWNABLE!! Yes, I realize that’s not a word, but I have to admit I’m a bit sleep deprived seeing as I stayed up all night reading this FRICKEN AMAZING book!! Okay let me just tell you now, this review is going to be an absolute, incoherent gush-fest. I haven’t felt this pumped about a YA dystopic novel since the The Hunger Games came to town. Mind you, I’ve read some pretty awesome stories since, such as Divergent, Blood R
Wendy Darling
I like an action-packed adventure, don't you? Legend is a lot of fun to read, and follows two teens who are born into opposite sides of a war in a futuristic Los Angeles in the Republic of America.

15-year-old June is an exceptionally gifted prodigy who is being groomed to become a military star. But when her brother is senselessly murdered, she embarks upon a mission to find his killer--and discovers that all signs point towards Day, a notorious criminal who is already wanted by the Republic.

Th
Etnik
description
____________________________________________

____________________________________________

description

5 LEGENDARY STARS!

You can find the full review and more about this book on my blog!

Okay so before I start this review I want to say that I missed reading dystopians.The last one I read in June I think and this one reminded me how coo

karen
so i did, i almost gave this book four stars. but then i said to myself, "self - you have to stop giving these YA dystopias your knee-jerk four star ratings just because you like the genre and you like to see teens in peril, you sick twist." and it's true. these things are pure candy for me to read. and i don't even care so much that the majority of them lack that believability factor. i tend to star-rate within this genre based on enjoyability rather than literary value, because i am neither a ...more
Reynje
Okay, hypothetical scenario time. Let’s suppose I had the madness, the power ("You ever tried going mad without power? It's boring! No one listens to you!" - Russ Cargill), and the inclination to pit several recently published YA dystopian novels against each other in a brutal and bloody fight to the death a la The Hunger Games. (Please, just roll with my craziness).

Now let’s suppose one of these tributes novels is Legend. How, in my mind at least, does it fare in the arena?

Without a doubt, at
Kate ❣
Legend by Marie Lu

Holyyyyy, omg, where do i start..
This book was absolutely incredible!
From the time i read the first page, i knew it was going to be great, but never as amazing as it truly was. From page 1 to page 305, i was completely enthralled and could not get enough of it!
Marie Lu is an incredible writer, I absolutely lovedddd the two perspective writing!

The characters were incredible, the world was so incredibly vivid that i literally feel like i just watched a movie and didn't read a bo
Ariana

I am always afraid to read a book that I’ve been holding my breath for it to come out. Legend is one of those.
I had high hopes and I am glad to say that my expectations have been met.

I was really eager to meet Day.
I’ve heard a lot of good things about him and I was pretty much intrigued, for lack of a better word.
Even though in the last half of the book he was more or less absent, I got to care more for him and to understand him better (compared to June).
He was an interesting character – he was
Steph Sinclair

I'm a dystopian book fanatic. I collect them like the Cookie Monster collects his cookies. So when I first heard of Legend earlier this year I knew I had to get a hold of it ASAP. And I wasn't entirely disappointed because Legend features a strong, kick-ass heroine, a disturbing future world, multi-cultural characters, and tons of action.

Legend tells the story of a two remarkable 15-year-olds, Day and June, living on West cost of the United States now known as The Republic. This book instantly
Emily May
“Each day means a new twenty-four hours. Each day means everything's possible again. You live in the moment, you die in the moment, you take it all one day at a time.”

So I finally decided to pick this up after sifting through all the reviews and reading positive after negative after positive after negative, sometimes I guess you just have to see for yourself. And Legend was all right, pretty good when compared to some of the crap I've read recently, it just wasn't anything particularly spectac
sunset shimmer
Wham, bam, thank you ma'am.
Stacia (the 2010 club)
Jun 03, 2013 Stacia (the 2010 club) rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Stacia (the 2010 club) by: Buddy read w/Diane and Kristina in Rated YA-MA

She said : I will hunt you down. I will scour the streets of Los Angeles for you. Search every street in the Republic if I have to. I will trick you and deceive you, lie cheat and steal to find you, tempt you out of your hiding place, and chase you until you have nowhere else to run. I make you this promise : your life is mine.

He said : If I did not wish she were dead, I would find her absolutely breathtaking.

The above artwork (minus the crappy text I added from a book quote) was drawn by the au
Meg ♥
I don't honestly know what made me pick up "Legend" recently and start it while I have so many other books I wanted to get to first. I was in the mood for something like this, I guess.

From the synopsis I learned that this book was going to be about a little rich girl named June, and a poor bad-boy named Day. At first they have the wrong idea about each other based on where they come from, but eventually overcome those prejudices. They must decide if they can trust each other in a world where no
J.
May 04, 2015 J. marked it as could-not-finish
Shelves: disappointing, slow
DNF @ page 94

This was my second and last of Marie Lu’s books. I just find her writing style to be too dry and emotionless to be intriguing. There’s plenty of action in her books, but her world-building doesn’t make all that much sense and it’s very hard to connect to characters because they are so flat and tell more than show. Her books read like robots put them out—there’s just no life or warmth to her style.
(view spoiler)

I gave this a chance, thinking that I just didn’t care f
Keertana
Legend is one of those books that simply demands to be read, not so much because of its original premises, intriguing characters, or fast-paced plot, but rather because everyone seems to have such a varied opinion about it. I always make it a point to read the reviews of my most trusted reviewers - those whose opinions are similar to my own - but when it came to this book, the ratings ranged from amazement, to indifference, to like, to hate. Thus, I knew I had to read this and give it a shot for ...more
Alexa

My review can also be found on my blog Collections.

Out of all the YA dystopian novels I've read so far this year, Legend is my favorite. The writing,the plot, the setting, and the characters were all great! It had a nice balance of action and development and even a bit romance. I was never underwhelmed by the story. The action had me on the edge of my seat. Some parts were pretty intense, and there were shocking revelations and heartbreaking moments throughout the book. I was left feeling anxiou
Christine Riccio
THRILL RIDE. just posted a booktalk: review and discussion - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pvgIi...
Tiernan Bertrand-Essington
Holy amazingness. Here's what I thought:

1. At first, it's like being dropped into a sequel. The world isnt just explained right off the bat; you figure it out as time goes on, which is cool and very good world-building.
2. All the characters were highlighted, no matter how long they were in the book. I could give you a list of every character right now...but I won't.
3. June and Day were great lead characters. The whole thing played like a movie in my head. Very vivid, but not too descriptive to
Mizuki
Pre-review: I read Legend because I'd heard good things about it, but after reading half of this book, I found I'm not happy with the story, not at all.

Do I want to see a female author writing a worthy bestseller? Yes.

Do I want to see an Asian getting a head start with her first novel? Yes.

Do I want to see *finally* there's a well written dystopian novel gracing the realm of YA? Yes.

Still I can't pretend Legend is a good book, I just can't.

The following gif shows my feeling toward this book:

Oka
Nomes
First and foremost: I had an awesome time reading Legend. Which is, after all, why I love to read (to bask in the awesomeness). It was unputdownable (I felt increasing anticipation throughout), immensely enjoyable, completely absorbing and just plain GOOD.

I loved the blend of action with the dystopian society. I appreciated how there were dark and sinister things being hinted at, yet it was never melodramatic or crazily climatic.

I did not anticipate how much I would care for the characters. Th
oOSarahOo ☼Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans☼
You don't want to hear me rant about another disappointing YA read do you? Good. This won't take long. I read this in 2012 back in the days when my YA allergy hadn't fully developed. Yes, there was a time in my life when I actually enjoyed reading about immature teenagers. Huh. But I digress.

Legend. The plot isn't too bad but the alternating POVs were badly handled. Both narrators sound very much alike which makes you feel like you're reading the same chapter over and over again. The fact that L
Marielle
SO GOOOOOOOOOOOOOD funny gifs

This review and more available on my blog! Come check it out!

Now for my real review:
Legend by Marie Lu has officially become a legend in my mind. From the very first page I was drawn into this story. First, a brief explanation of the setting:

It is the future. The United States is long gone and most suspect that it never even existed at all. Instead, it is broken up into two sections: The Republic and The Colonies. These two sections are at war and each side is determined tha
Kristalia
Final rating: /

Officially 400th book i have read. Wow. Anyway, i excepted Legend to disappoint me because i have seen so many mixed reviews about this one. But i stay with those who say this book is awesome. I enjoyed reading it, and i loved the characters. Oh, i adored the fact that Marie Lu has a deviant art and that she took time to draw her characters!

Priscilla
Legend lives up to the hype!

Initial thoughts
1. Both Day and June's perspectives/chapters are fantastic. Both have challenges to face, can carry their own weight, and together they're unstoppable.
2. Great world building. The tone of the book and urgency in Day's task sets up for a fast-paced read. A post-apocalyptic dystopian world that kept me on edge.
3. There's one 'twist/surprise' I saw a mile away...maybe 5 miles.
4. Loved the character development with June. Even though she's a prodigy, she i
Aj the Ravenous Reader
This book reminds me so much of a combination of series as The Fifth Wave, The Maze Runner, Shatter Me, even Hunger Games and basically every highly notable and favorable dystopians I've read and yet it does not come off as a mere imitation of those mentioned because the story in its own right is original, impressive, and utterly genuine that you can't help but appreciate the writer for not trying too hard. This book easily earns being shelved under my favorites. ;)
Janina
On the verge of four stars

June and Day stand on opposite sides of things – she is the government's most favoured prodigy; he is the government's most wanted criminal. When their paths cross, secrets are revealed, alliances shift, one of them has to question everything …

With YA dystopias swamping the market right now, I think it's definitely safe to say that it's worth giving Marie Lu's Legend a try. It is fast-paced, action-packed and utterly captivating - the pages just fly by. At the same time
Natalie Monroe
EDIT 14/3/2014: Also known as the day I met Marie Lu.

She didn't sign my copy of Legend (that privilege went to my sister), but she signed Champion. Needless to say, I geeked out and most likely freaked her out except she's nice to say so.

EDIT 11/2013: I liked it a lot better this time around. Probably because Prodigy blew my expectations out of the water. So I'm upgrading it to my bubbling-under-5-stars shelf. Give yourself a pat on the back.

Legend is your typical dystopian book. There no speci
Legend movie update from Marie Lu! 780 7634 10 hours, 45 min ago
Fan Casting for June Iparis and Day Wing. 40 276 May 20, 2015 06:59PM
Addicted to YA: Day (Legend) 22 310 May 19, 2015 07:01AM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Legend by Marie Lu - Restarting May 13th 2015 249 260 May 17, 2015 09:54PM
Wild Things: YA G...: May 2015- Legend by Marie Lu 2 9 May 08, 2015 10:49AM
  • Monument 14 (Monument 14, #1)
  • Ashen Winter (Ashfall, #2)
  • Outpost (Razorland, #2)
  • Under the Never Sky (Under the Never Sky, #1)
  • A Million Suns (Across the Universe, #2)
  • Rebel Heart (Dust Lands, #2)
  • Never Fade (The Darkest Minds, #2)
  • The Drowned Cities (Ship Breaker, #2)
  • UnWholly (Unwind, #2)
  • Ashes (Ashes Trilogy, #1)
  • Unravel Me (Shatter Me, #2)
  • Sever (The Chemical Garden, #3)
  • Ruins (Partials Sequence, #3)
  • The Testing (The Testing, #1)
  • Prized (Birthmarked, #2)
  • All These Things I've Done (Birthright, #1)
  • Beta (Annex, #1)
  • Variant (Variant, #1)
[Note: Many apologies, but I'm woefully bad at checking my Goodreads emails! If you'd like to send a note/msg, please catch me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Marie_Lu . Thanks!]

I write young adult novels, and have a special love for dystopian books. Ironically, I was born in 1984. Before becoming a full-time writer, I was an Art Director at a video game company. Now I shuffle around at home and ta
More about Marie Lu...

Legend (3 books)
  • Prodigy (Legend, #2)
  • Champion (Legend, #3)
Prodigy (Legend, #2) Champion (Legend, #3) The Young Elites (The Young Elites, #1) Life Before Legend (Legend, #0.5) Legend Trilogy Boxed Set (Legend, #1-3)

24 trivia questions
21 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“Each day means a new twenty-four hours. Each day means everything's possible again. You live in the moment, you die in the moment, you take it all one day at a time. -Day” 2410 likes
“What a joke! Poor little rich girl's fallen in love with the Republic's most famous criminal.” 824 likes