Start by marking “Soul Music (Mundodisco, #16)” as Want to Read:
Soul Music (Mundodisco, #16)

Soul Music (Discworld #16)

4.02  ·  Rating Details ·  49,554 Ratings  ·  1,092 Reviews
Acaban de recordarle a Susan, para su desgracia, que hay una Muerte en la familia. Y precisamente ahora ésta acaba de desaparecer y deberá ser ella (su nieta adoptiva) quien se encargue del negocio familiar. Sin embargo, pese a montar el caballo blanco y empuñar la guadaña, todos parecen empeñados en querer confundirla con un hada. Y por si con todo ello no hubiera bastant ...more
Hardcover, El sorprendente mundo de Terry Pratchett, 347 pages
Published August 2008 by Altaya (first published 1994)

Lyn
Feb 19, 2017 Lyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sex, drugs and rock and roll in the Discworld.

Except there’s really not any sex to speak of, and … to be honest really not any drugs either.

But 1 out of three ain’t bad, er, well, I guess that’s 33 percent, so really not that good but …

But in Sir Terry Pratchett’s able writing, it is good, as the Discworld experiences rock and roll –

or actually, Music with Rocks In as performed by The Band with Rocks In.

Imp Y Celyn (which literally means "bud of holly,") calls himself Buddy, and his band mates G
Kalin
Jan 04, 2008 Kalin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Soul Music was, I guess, my first true love. Um, I mean with Terry Pratchett. Um, I mean ... you know what I mean. :D

So much so that when I had to pick the topic of my 4,000-word IB extended essay, there was no room for doubt. It had to be Susan. And Death. And the Music With Rocks In. And the life-saving, human-defining importance of rebellion. (Teen angst, ha! teen me would fume. What d'you grown-ups know?)

Meet 4,000-word essay here:

WARNING: Even though this is the
Ivan
I re-read this book slowly past few weeks.So slowly I even forgot to added it to GR.

Sadly my initial opinion still remains:This is the worst Discworld book I read (but not worst Pratchett's book that title goes to Long earth).That doesn't mean it's bad book but it's way bellow sir Terry's best works.Death is my second favorite Discworld character (first one being Sam Vimes) but like in Thief of time him Susan ended in totally uninteresting plot with overall very weak cast of characters.
Soul musi
Ashley
“He had the feeling, once again, that he’d missed out on something somewhere. He’d never really realized it until the last couple of days. He didn’t know what it was. He just wanted to do things. He didn’t know what they were. But he wanted to do them soon.”

“There are millions of chords. There are millions of numbers. And everyone forgets the one that is a zero. But without the zero, numbers are just arithmetic. Without the empty chord, music is just noise.”

It was just happenstance that the firs
Brooke
Jul 09, 2012 Brooke rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2012
I am convinced that Sir Pratchett wrote this book for the sole reason of putting in a "grateful Death" joke.

It wasn't my favorite Discworld book, but the phrase "Music With Rocks In" is so charmingly Pratchett that I kind of wanted to hug it.
Melki
Now do you believe in rock and roll?
Can music save your mortal soul?
Don MacLean

A fab foursome causes wizards to shake, rattle and roll, and manages to bring some hot times (not to mention broken furniture) to the Mended Drum. Suddenly, there's an earworm loose in Discworld, and now everyone's got their toes-a-tappin' and a song in their hearts.

Though I can't say exactly what was wrong, this one fell flat for me. It squeaks by with 3 stars ONLY because I liked the Death of Rats, Susan, the swing
Bilbo Baggins
Mar 06, 2017 Bilbo Baggins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars!!!
This is probably going to be my favorite Discworld book ever!!! Loved it!
Gavin
Jul 03, 2012 Gavin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not up there with the best of his stuff, but I should point out at this juncture that since Guards Guards he's been getting marked on a scale relative only to his other books. If I'd picked up this book last week written by some po-dunk nobody it'd be getting five stars and I'd be desperately googling them for websites, blogs and news of their next release.

Soul Music is a slightly unbalanced pair of narratives, one about the infringing of rock and roll into the Discworld and the other a rather s
YouKneeK
Every now and then, we get one of those “real world stuff bleeds into the Discworld” books. For example, Moving Pictures involved, as you might guess, a sudden discovery of and obsession about movies. With a Discworld flare, of course. Those books are the ones I seem to enjoy the least. Soul Music is the third book in the Death subseries, and it was one of those types of books. In this case, the sudden discovery and obsession is for rock and roll music although, in Discworld, it goes by the name ...more
Igor Ljubuncic
Jun 26, 2012 Igor Ljubuncic rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: terry-pratchett
40 books on my Pratchett shelf, 40 books to review, if I write one now, there'll 39 books on my Pratchet shelf left to review.

But it should be interesting.

The way I remember it, through the first half of the DW series, Terry was busy exploring existentialism in different ways, with witches, death (and associates), a fast-running coward, the genius Night Watch (my favorite) ...

... before he finally nailed it. He eventually got well comfortable with his own writing, and the series picked up pace,
Tfitoby
May 16, 2011 Tfitoby rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantastical
Remain In Print
Sir Terry Pratchett
1948 - 2015

Once upon a time I was given a book voucher from my school and with that book voucher I went straight out and made sure I could actually own a Discworld novel rather than having to go to the library. It just so happened to be that small window in time when I would have preferred a Disc novel about music with rocks in than one with moving pictures, and so for a while Soul Music was my favourite book about life on Disc.

I went on to criticise the anima
Richard
Sep 14, 2014 Richard rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comedy, fantasy
6.5/10

Another solid entry into the Discworld series and the Death sub series (although Death has a relatively small amount of screen time) which this time tackles Rock 'n Roll coming to the Discworld. I love Rock 'n Roll and I enjoy humour so what's not to like?

The book started really well and got two differing strands of story line going, one with Rock 'n Roll and the other with Death going AWOL so his Granddaughter, Susan, has to take up the mantle and start to run the show. As the story progr
David Sarkies
Jul 19, 2014 David Sarkies rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: You known who you are
Recommended to David by: Stewart Wymer
Shelves: comedy
Rock n Roll invades the Discworld
26 July 2014

Well, I can't believe that I have just finished my 16th Terry Pratchett Discworld novel, and that is over two years (no, not sixteen books in two years, 16 Discworld novels in two years) since I decided that I would give Pratchett the benefit of the doubt and actually read them again prior to writing up a commentary, and this isn't even the last of the Discworld novels on my 'to read' list (I think there are another six, which would bring it up to Th
Chloe
Feb 06, 2017 Chloe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-kept
Nothing is more badass than Death on a motorbike.

This book was a bit slow, but really good! Music With Rocks In. What a wonderfully Terry concept. I love Death, and it's great to have an earlier Susan. I love her. I also love the Death of Rats, and Imp.

As a big fan of rock music and the Death books, this one really called to me. It's an incredibly fun and charming read. It's another well-crafted one in the style of my more favourite Discworld books so far (I'm reading them in a random, although
Daniel
Nov 13, 2014 Daniel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
Iskreno rečeno ovo mi je nekako do sada najslabija knjiga u disk svetu. Glavni problem je što imam osećaj ko da sam već čitao knjigu pošto mi dosta stavri podseća na Erika. I sam humor mi u većem delu nije bio tolko zabavan. Ima par baš smešnih situacija ali sve ukupan osećaj je na žalost više jedan veliki MEH.

Al dobro idemo dalje.
Ben Crozier
Falls into the category of Disc World novels where he is moving through obvious targets such as the music or film industry lacks the bite or philosophical insight you would hope or expect.
Malin
Susan Sto Helit goes to a boarding school, and for the lessons she's less interested in, she has a tendency to fade into the woodwork - literally. Susan has the ability to fade away, should she so wish it. Turns out, this is because her grandfather is none other than Death, and when he goes missing, Susan, as his closest relative, is required to take over his duties for a while. Being deeply pragmatic and rational, thanks to her first rate education, it takes Susan a while to be persuaded, even ...more
Mitticus
(Leí este libro a dos bandas, en inglés y en español al mismo tiempo, así que probablemente debería valer por dos)

Probably you'll enjoy more this book if you like music, or should I say if you have something to do with music or music business.

Is the story of a band of friends that joins the rocky way that leads for a new form of music, a sort of infection of strange proportions that affects to almost all in Discworld.

And it is the story of a grandfather and his granddaughter trying to understan
Miss Abernathy
Sep 24, 2016 Miss Abernathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
«Quizá incluso una música podía estar viva, si era lo bastante vieja. La vida es un hábito. La gente decía: «No puedo quitarme de la cabeza esa dichosa canción…».
No un mero ritmo, sino el latido de un corazón.
Y cualquier cosa viva quiere reproducirse.»

He disfrutado muchísimo leyéndolo, a pesar de que en un principio sentía recelo de leerlo porque al no ser una fanática del rock me daba miedo no entender las posibles referencias musicales. No ha sido así, sí que Terry hace referencias pero no res
Jeraviz
Apr 06, 2015 Jeraviz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, humor
Tercer libro del arco argumental de la Muerte. El menos redondo de los tres precisamente porque la Muerte pierde algo de protagonismo centrándose la narración en su nieta, Susan Sto, y en otros secundarios.
Pero aún así, vuelve a conseguir a través del humor llegarte al alma, usando como temas principales la Música y el Deseo en esta ocasión.
Una vez termines tendrás ganas de escuchar la Música con Rocas Dentro.
Marko Radosavljevic
May 29, 2016 Marko Radosavljevic rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read
Visokoumna satira čovečanstva,sa propratnom pričom o muzici,šoubiznisu i porodičnom nasledju,ispisana bez usiljenosti.Bolno istinito pogadja u metu.Ako još neko u mojoj okolini prokomentariše da Pračet piše za decu,šaljem ga kod Vajmsa na prevaspitavanje :-)
Cassandra
Dec 09, 2014 Cassandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wie immer ein kluger Lesespaß und ein vergnüglicher Aufenthalt auf der Scheibenwelt.
Menteith
Feb 04, 2008 Menteith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To this day, this book remains the best commentary on rock and roll, and the rock and roll phenomenon, that I have ever read.

The book opens with Death deciding to retire... again. This time, there's no apprentice to fill the shoes, but the apprentice had a daughter... Death's daughter. So the task of being Death falls on a young girl in a boarding school for rich, noble children who knows nothing about the skeletons in the family closet. Death of Rats, along with Albert, attempt to educate her,
Kaethe
19 Feb 2008
20 Jun 2014
25 Aug 2016

Death takes a sort of holiday, so the Death of Rats goes looking for Death's granddaughter to fill the gap. Susan is off in boarding school, being an unusually practical teenager with no memory of her grandfather, when she gets the message. Meanwhile a bard, a troll, and a dwarf meet up and form a band and a magical guitar introduces the idea of Music with Rocks in to the Discworld.

The magic that is unleashed has more to do with lampooning record company contract
Rev. Nyarkoleptek
With the exception of The Color of Magic, this is the only Discworld novel I did not like. I'm not entirely sure why; maybe when compared with the lofty subject matter Pratchett has tackled in the other books, a fantasy novel about rock music seemed frivolous. Pratchett definitely belabored the Elf jokes (you'd recognize them); really, once was enough, and twice was pushing it. Past that, I was telling the pages that I got the joke, and would they cut it out. They didn't listen.

However, if I app
Nenado
May 26, 2016 Nenado rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: maj-biblioteq
Kada pročitate: E TO JE PRAVA MUZIKA, S KAMENJEM I ROKANJEM - znate odmah kakav je naslov u pitanju. Duševna muzika. Teri Pračet. Naravno.
Ovo je urnebesna storija o tome kako i na koji način je muzika deo svih nas. A sama muzika, ne može da umre :))
Na kraju, samo da dodam još ovo: Smrt je uvek znala da imenuje stvari pravim imenom, bar tako kaže legenda :D
Leslie
Mar 23, 2017 Leslie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What fun!
Nov 25, 2016 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-this-world
Je suis allée voir Les Animaux fantastiques au cinéma. Parce que des amis avaient envie d'y aller et que j'avais envie de sortir avec eux. Voilà pour l'enthousiasme. Mais après le film, j'ai eu envie de me plonger dans un univers inventé et ça tombait bien, j'avais ce tome 16 des Annales du Disque-Monde que je croyais n'avoir jamais lu (réflexion faite, je l'avais plutôt totalement oublié).
Lu en français parce que Patrick Couton est un traducteur absolument extraordinaire, sûrement l'homme idéal
Morgue Anne
Nov 04, 2007 Morgue Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I borrowed this book from my boyfriend (at his insistence) early in our relationship thinking "Alright, he's being cute and giving me his idea of a 'good book' because he knows I'm a reader. Just smile and pretend you liked it, Tori." To my surprise, I actually did enjoy this book. I tend to avoid the "fantasy" or "science fiction" genre, simply because I don't like learning a whole extra world, but this one was so close to our own that the transition was smooth.
Similar in concept at the very l
Melissa McShane
Re-read 4/22/15: same as below. Only this time in memoriam.

I re-read Discworld novels when I need to read something but can't afford to start something potentially time-sucking, so I've read this several times already. So I was surprised to realize something I hadn't before that I'm sure was obvious to everyone else. The premise is that the music made by the first musical instrument--the first guitar--is alive and wants to spread. It makes its hearers start dressing like '50s greasers and bobby-
  • The Sprouts of Wrath
  • Ye Gods!
  • The Unseen University Challenge: Terry Pratchett's Discworld Quizbook
  • Knights Of Madness

More about Terry Pratchett...

Discworld (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind #1)
  • The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2; Rincewind #2)
  • Equal Rites (Discworld, #3; Witches #1)
  • Mort (Discworld, #4; Death, #1)
  • Sourcery (Discworld, #5; Rincewind #3)
  • Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6; Witches #2)
  • Pyramids (Discworld, #7)
  • Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1)
  • Eric (Discworld, #9; Rincewind #4)
  • Moving Pictures (Discworld, #10; Industrial Revolution, #1)

“In theory it was, around now, Literature. Susan hated Literature. She'd much prefer to read a good book.” 378 likes
“It was sad music. But it waved its sadness like a battle flag. It said the universe had done all it could, but you were still alive.” 143 likes