Start by marking “Giving Thanks: The 1621 Harvest Feast” as Want to Read:
Giving Thanks: The 1621 Harvest Feast

Giving Thanks: The 1621 Harvest Feast

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  37 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Sometime between September 21 and November 9, 1621, the Pilgrims and the Wampanoag people shared a harvest celebration that has become known as the First Thanksgiving. This is the story of what happened during those days, as told by dancing Moccasins, a fourteen-year-old Wampanoag boy, and Resolved White, a six-year-old English boy. Photographed in full color at the Plimot ...more
Published August 1st 2001 by Scholastic (first published January 1st 1949)

To ask other readers questions about Giving Thanks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Giving Thanks

Kathryn
Nov 25, 2009 Kathryn rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: those seeking informational books about the first Thanksgiving
This is good for a more "informational" Thanksgiving story. I wasn't really a fan of the photographs to tell the story, but I appreciate that they were taken at Plimoth Plantation and seeing a "real" glimpse at the clothing and settlement is certainly interesting. It does a nice job of comparing a Wampanoag boy and Pilgrim boy's preparations for the Thanksgiving feast. Copious historical notes in the back, including a recipe for "Samp" (corn with spring herbs) make for an educating, if not entir ...more
Nov 14, 2014 Jennifer rated it liked it
I just wanted to see what this said. Told from the POV of a 14 year old Native boy and a 6 year old English (Pilgrim) boy, it tells the story of their feast through their young eyes. Photographs of the recreated scenes make it more realistic for its intended audience. Genocide isn't mentioned.
David
Nov 23, 2011 David rated it liked it
Giving Thanks: The 1621 Harvest Feast by Kate Waters, photographs by Russ Kendall, is the story of the harvest celebrations shared by the Pilgrims and the Wampanoag people.

The story of this harvest celebration is told by Dancing Moccasins, a fourteen-year-old Wampanoag boy, and Resolved White, a six-year-old English boy. This reenactment, based on factual historical accounts, is illustrated by full color photographs taken at Plimoth Plantation.

The text features thoughts of the featured reenactor
Mary Ann
Nov 23, 2009 Mary Ann rated it really liked it
or younger readers interested in the story of Thanksgiving, I like the books by Kate Waters which look at children who might have lived during this time period. These are reenactments of what the lives of individual children might have been like, based on factual historical accounts. Giving Thanks tells the story of Resolved White, a 6-year-old English boy, and Dancing Moccasins, a 14-year-old Wampanoag youth. It is accessible to younger children, although I talked with my children about how the ...more
Emma Hofer
I loved the format of this book. It contained photographs and was written from two different perspectives: the perspective of a pilgrim boy and the perspective of a Wampanoag Indian boy. Such a cool book for Thanksgiving time!
Kelly
I liked this book because it is told from the perspective of 2 kids (Native American and colonist). It also has good info in the back of the book about the way of life at this time.
Andrea
Dec 12, 2014 Andrea rated it it was amazing
big fave of Henry's for Thanksgiving 2014 :-)
Ebookwormy
Dec 11, 2013 Ebookwormy marked it as to-read
This is the last of the Kate Waters series to elude me! We own and enjooy all the other books. I have been unable to locate a copy of this book. Maybe we shall have to go to Plimouth Plantation and pick one up!? Based on the excellent work of the other editions:
Sarah Morton's Day,
Samuel Eaton's Day,
Tapenum's Day, and
On the Mayflower,
I would be willing to buy it without even reading it ahead of time.
Amanda
Sep 06, 2008 Amanda rated it liked it
Kate Waters' book tells about a pilgrim boy and a Wampanoag Indian boy learning about each others culture. The book is a good way for students to learn the history of our contry.
Little Miss and the Legomeister
A nice update to the Thanksgiving story, told alternately by a Wampanoag boy and an English boy.
Melanie
Nov 11, 2008 Melanie rated it liked it
Shelves: kids
Fun. Pictures of the reenactment at the Plymouth plantation.
Mainchild
Nov 09, 2013 Mainchild added it
Shelves: thanksgiving
NF 394.2649 Wate
Gabrielle
Gabrielle rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2016
Teena Welch
Teena Welch rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2016
Karen
Karen added it
Jan 19, 2016
Deanna
Deanna rated it it was ok
Nov 20, 2015
Anna
Anna added it
Nov 16, 2015
Hannah
Hannah rated it it was amazing
Nov 13, 2015
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2015
Ashley
Ashley rated it it was amazing
Nov 04, 2015
Christine
Christine rated it really liked it
Nov 26, 2015
Emily Black
Emily Black marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2015
Gemma
Gemma rated it liked it
Oct 06, 2015
Francesca
Francesca rated it liked it
Sep 28, 2015
Alice
Alice marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015