Start by marking “Storm Tide” as Want to Read:
Storm Tide

Storm Tide

3.27 of 5 stars 3.27  ·  rating details  ·  99 ratings  ·  14 reviews
After his dreams of playing baseball in the Majors fall short and his marriage ends, David Greene returns to his small hometown on Cape Cod. There he meets the eminent professor, Gordon Stone, and his beautiful wife, Judith Silver, with whom he soon falls into a passionate affair. Into this explosive mix, a young woman appears--a single mother at the end of her emotional r ...more
Published May 19th 2010 by Ballantine Books (first published May 19th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Storm Tide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Storm Tide

This book was lyrical and haunting, but very perplexing, morally. Given Piercy's committment and demonstrated sympathies for working class women, it was strange to see her make an antoganist who embodied the qualities that most conform to stereotypes of working class women- unintelligent, unintellectual, obsessed with "getting a man" and having babies, rapidly sexual, garish in taste, sloppy, buxom to tbe point of being fleshy and fat, obsessed with family, mentally unstable, etc- and even more ...more
Zinta
I’ve read many Marge Piercy books, novels and poetry (and, in general, lean more toward the latter), and reread several as I prepared to do an interview with the author for the spring 2010 issue of The Smoking Poet.Piercy collaborated with her husband, writer Ira Wood. I was most intrigued as I settled in for a good Sunday read. Would I be able to distinguish the two? Would their styles mesh or would the seams show?

The novel opens with a chapter called, "David." It is written in first person, a
Laurie
Well written by a couple even tho' it only lists one name here. Didn't figure out the mystery at all!
Caroline
Entertaining murder mystery.
Jenny
I love Marge Piercy. And now I like her husband too, since they wrote this together. Interesting spin on the political thriller, in that the thrilling politics are those of a small New England town. Great sense of landscape and place, feminist issues, lust, sex, betrayal and death. How could you go wrong?

Deb Mj
I slogged through the first 50 pages or so of this book before I finally gave up. I'm not sure if it was my mood, or the book itself, that prompted absolutely no interest whatsoever. "Too many books, too little time" to waste the time on a book that's just not worth it, IMO.
Mary
Marge Piercy is always easy to read for me, and the characters do stay in my head for a while afterwards. That said, in some novels her female protagonists have similar qualities. But she is still one of my favorite authors.
William Milton
I liked it. Since it was co-written by a husband and wife I was curious about who was writing what. In the afterword they address that.
Gretchen
I need a "couldn't finish" bookshelf option. I didn't see the point of this book and gave up a third of the way through.
Monica
Reading this again for a lack of any other compelling books at the moment. I've needed to be absorbed in a novel.
Katherine Fuller
What makes a family and local politics. Good combination.
Ajh
I had read this before and liked it more the first time.
Daryl Leyesa
Meagan Proctor Kavouras
Meagan Proctor Kavouras marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Elaine Titus
Elaine Titus marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Julie Johnson
Julie Johnson marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Lindenizen
Lindenizen marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Erica Stratton
Erica Stratton marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
Pam
Pam marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Kerry
Kerry added it
Apr 11, 2014
Jean Carlson
Jean Carlson marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Marge Piercy (born March 31, 1936) is an American poet, novelist, and social activist. She is the author of the New York Times bestseller Gone to Soldiers, a sweeping historical novel set during World War II.

Piercy was born in Detroit, Michigan, to a family deeply affected by the Great Depression. She was the first in her family to attend college, studying at the University of Michigan. Winning a
More about Marge Piercy...
Woman on the Edge of Time He, She and It Gone to Soldiers The Moon Is Always Female: Poems Sex Wars: A Novel of Gilded Age New York