Start by marking “Bambi (Little Golden Book)” as Want to Read:
Bambi (Little Golden Book)

Bambi (Walt Disney Classics #2)

4.22  ·  Rating Details ·  12,199 Ratings  ·  96 Reviews
The adventures of a young deer growing up in a forest.
Published December 12th 1984 by Golden Books (first published January 28th 1941)

To ask other readers questions about Bambi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bambi

Alisha Bennett
Like most of my generation; the reading of this classic children's story was overshadowed by my memories of the Disney movie. Although I do remember reading the book along with the tape (you will know it is time to turn the page when you hear the chimes, like this....). That being said, however there is a reason that this story is a classic; albeit a sad one. Think of this as the origin of Lion King if you will; a story of the circle of life and the transition of the crown from father to son (wi ...more
Lauren
Sep 20, 2012 Lauren rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
. . . . never again
Miguel Angel
I liked this, it was cute and it made me want to re-watch the movie all over again. The part where his mother dies gets to me haha.
Krista Basilio
In a forest thicket, a doe gives birth to a fawn whom she names Bambi. After he learns to walk, Bambi befriends Thumper, a young rabbit; then, while learning to talk, Bambi meets a young skunk whom he calls "Flower" (the skunk says that he does not mind this name at all, and the infant Bambi says, "Flower, pretty Flower").

After Bambi has completely learned how to talk, his mother takes him to the meadow, a place that is both wonderful and frightening. Bambi's mother warns him that deer are unpro
Drew Graham
Apr 14, 2011 Drew Graham rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: me
I found this relatively rare book randomly (and at an incredibly discounted price) when a favorite bookstore was going out of business. This short book is a beautiful collection of animation production sketches from Bambi. The movie itself is a symphony in many ways, and these drawings illustrate wonderfully the simplicity and elegance of the characters and the world they inhabit. There isn't much by way of realistic animal drawings that you read about them doing during production (the ones base ...more
Julia Brumfield
Sep 09, 2016 Julia Brumfield rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book, ya-juvenile
Oh how many ways can you ruin Bambi, let us count the ways....

First of all this is more like one of those film books that was made so fans of the movie could also read. As such this isn't targeted for the youngest of readers but for those who are actually into smallish type of novels as it tries to replay the whole movie. Along with the aforementioned novel-size book it is also within an unusually large book that is awkward to hold and read from thus making it a struggle to deal with.

From the
Dharia Scarab

Myself, I go ou
Jenny williams
Dec 03, 2012 Jenny williams rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unfortunately I saw the movie as a child well before I read the book and I have to say the movie was a lot more interesting to me. I'm not sure if it was because Walt Disney published the book of Bambi just because the movie has always been such a classic or what but this book was not very well put together. I refute that Bambi will always be a good tale for children as well as a wonderful movie for the whole family to enjoy. I guess I'm just frustrated because a book like this should have been ...more
Eric
Apr 23, 2013 Eric rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
As a story, this book is merely a dull retelling of the classic film. However, as a parent, this book is interminably long, with huge blocks of text and no pictures. Reading it aloud is absolutely a huge undertaking, especially to a toddler. Which might not be such a bad thing once, or even twice, but upon the 50th retelling of the book, it is an enormous drag on emotional resources.

If I were a mean parent I would simply hide this book from my daughter until she reached the age where she could r
Sarah Dziobak
In Walt Disney's Bambi, it is a sad story about a young deer who loses his mother to a hunter. He learms that when a old stag comes along and tells Bambi that he must learn how to survive on his own. Bambi makes friends with other forest animals, and once he's older the same old swag came to tell him that their was a forest fire. After the next year the forest was almost fully grown and Bambi watched from the hill top as the new prince of the forest. The moral of the story is that even though ba ...more
Atishay
Nov 20, 2008 Atishay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first saw the Walt Disney version of the classic when I was five or six. And till this date, I love this book and the movie. Simply written with the flair for touching your hearts, this book narrates the story of Bambi, a young fawn born to The Great Prince of the forest. It goes on to describe the events that happen in his life, the tragedies and the corner stones, the way he climbs out of his sorrows and eventually, takes over as the Great Prince himself. A charming yet deep rooted story, a ...more
April Washington
Nov 26, 2011 April Washington rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bambi made me remember parenthood and how my mom was a great mother. How loving and caring the animals was with each other. How the world really isn't this way. I try to teach my daughter that children don't actually act like this and you can't make them. Remember life isn't a fairy tale. You can only be nice yourself but in the end you might get hurt and loose your way. Like Bambi he lost his mother but was not alone. He had good friends. Life as we know will not be like that but with God it wi ...more
Jack
Jan 29, 2016 Jack rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: k-g-4
I like the little golden book series for sharing stories with PreSchool-2. I have always liked how loss and love is handled in this story which is based on Bambi by Felix Salten.
Age Range: 3 - 7 years
Grade Level: Preschool - 2
HeavyReader
This book is based on the Disney movie. Boring!

But maybe there is no real Bambi book. Maybe Bambie only exists as a Disney movie and all the merchandising knock-offs spawned from the movie.

Anyway, in my immediate family, my sister as a little kid is known for crying in the movie theater when Bambi's mother died. Or maybe not. Maybe she cried at the Rescuers. Well, if she did cry at the demise of Bambi's mom, who could blame her? That's sad stuff.
Stephanie
Nov 02, 2011 Stephanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I decided to read this book becuase its a great book and its one of my faves this book compeletes the "written before i was born" category (orignally published in 1970's) i liked that bambi is soooo cuuutee and she has lots of little forest friends ! i dislike that bambis mum got shot and she was left alone ! i recomend this to 5-10 yr olds i must say i am a big kid soo i love it ! its a great bed time story :)

looovee steph
Brooke
Bambi is about a young baby deer that grows up in the forest with lots of friends when one day in the forest his mom gets shot and dies and Bambi has to learn to survive on his own. Bambi grows up and finds a girl deer that he likes. One day the forest gets set on fire and the animals have to move out. They come back a few years later and the forest is green again and Bambi is Prince of the forest and also has children.
Karissa Butikofer
I really liked this book when I was a little girl. This is a story of Bambi, a baby dear and his mother teaches him all about the world and hunters. He meets friends along the way and his mother is shot one winter by a hunter. He gets older and ends up liking a female deer. They become together and there is a fire in the woods. Bambi and his dad help get everyone to safety. Then the story ends with Bambi having a baby.
Rose Collins
Oct 16, 2016 Rose Collins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved Disney's Bambi, both book and movie but the killing of Bambi's mother was shocking and very upsetting. I warn all children over 4 about this scene before they watch the movie.
Not a vegetarian but the horror of what I felt as a child has not been forgotten.
Even a decade later, I associate Bambi's mother with venison and will never touch it.

Adored cute little bunny Thumper and really like "Flowers" the skunk.
Julie
Apr 09, 2012 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Bambi! It is a lovely tale of forest creatures. What I liked about this book was it was completely happy. There were no hunters or fires. I think children would like this story better than the movie because they like happy stories unlike the movie. This unforgettable moment happens where you see the baby dear grow up and it is like just a child. I think teachers could learna a lot from this book about diversity and development.
Sheila
Sep 23, 2012 Sheila rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
My mom gave me an envelope containing old schoolwork assigments from when I was in grade school. At the age of 8, on an "About Me" writing assignment, where it asks for the best book I ever read, my answer was Bambi, and when it asked what part I liked best I wrote "when Bambi falls on the ice". So there you go!
Kylie Perrine
Everyone knows the movie Bambi. The book is a lot like the movie. They type of cartoon artwork from the movie is the same artwork you will find in the book. This book is great to read to all children. Everyone can find something to relate to in this book and it is a classic that they will want to read again and again.
Chantell
Apr 24, 2013 Chantell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bambi is a Disney classic. I saw the movie before I could read on my own. I love this story because its a mother child tragedy story.It is such a heart-felt story. When i become a parent I am going to read this book to my children. I don't think this an appropriate school book, but it absolutely a bed time must.
Ericka
This is a great book for coming of age and about family. Bambi goes through all the stages of life that children will go through. Can discuss with the children what they would like to do when they get a little older (1 yr or 2 yr...etc) talk about their families and what their parents or other family members help them with when need it.
Lisa
Dec 02, 2008 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
Beli buku ini second di Sunday Market, tapi belum ada cacat/rusak sedikitpun. Tertarik sama gambar-gambar di dalamnya yang hidup dan full colour, selain itu ceritanya juga bagus tentang persahabatan. Kertasnya juga bagus, licin. Kalo beli baru di Jakarta pasti harganya diatas 30 ribu deh. Untungnya beli di sana cuma 40 pence, mgkn sktr Rp 7500. Lumayan buat calon anak nanti:))
Room 123
May 22, 2013 Room 123 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bambi is a deer. Bambi has a friend. His name is Thumper. Thumper is a gray bunny. Bambi made a lot of new friends. Bambi's mom deer told Bambi that the forest is dangerous. Bambi found a big deer with big antlers. Soon Bambi's mom deer died. Bambi was sad. Then it was spring, Bambi grew up. Go to the local library and get this book! By Ruby
Robert
Feb 18, 2011 Robert rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Robert by: Patty Phillips
Shelves: animals, fiction, deer, donated
The story of Bambi. It's okay. It has been a while since I saw the movie, so I am not certain it is true to that. Mother did die. I was wondering if that would be in this. Somehow I thought Bambi had been a girl, but I gather not. Yes, it's been a few decades. ;)

Easy enough book of a familiar tale, but nothing spectacular.
Kelly
Feb 20, 2014 Kelly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: conrad
Bambi (the Disney version; not sure if there is another) is a kind of lame hierarchical forest critter story with a lot of character names choking up an already condensed children's book. The illustrations look just like the Disney movie. Conrad and I both enjoyed the forest critters, but Bambi ultimately failed to instill a fear of Man or a cohesive alternative world.
Brittiny
Jun 16, 2015 Brittiny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a classic. It is about Bambi and his struggle of a life growing up. It goes through the friends he makes and how they help him become mature. I like this book for the most part. Bambi just isn't my favorite, and I am not sure why. If I was to teach this book, I would look at the page turns. How the page turns enhance the story line/ the intensity.
Diane
Aug 23, 2014 Diane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good reduction of the movie. Bambi's mother's death is a bit cryptic, but perhaps that's just as ell. I remember being terrorized by the movie when I saw it at age six. I'm interested in finding the original written by Felix Salten, if it's available.
Mia
Feb 02, 2013 Mia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Good touching book that both 2,5Y and 4Y loved. Provided space for thoughts and emotions and provided consolation. I was a little bit afraid that it would be too scary or sad but i was only one that cried, kids were really brave:-)
  • Walt Disney's Peter Pan (Disney Peter Pan)
  • Lady and the Tramp
  • Peter Pan (A Little Golden Book)
  • The Three Little Pigs
  • The Lion King: A little Golden Book
  • The Little Mermaid
  • Sleeping Beauty (Disney Princess, 5)
  • My Big Little Golden Book About God (a Big Little Golden Book)
  • Tawny Scrawny Lion
  • Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
  • The Three Bears
  • The Bunny Book, Richard Scarry's (a Little Golden Book)
  • Baby Farm Animals
  • The Jolly Barnyard
  • Winnie The Pooh And The Honey Tree (Little Golden Book)
  • The Gingerbread Man
  • Scuffy the Tugboat (Big Little Golden Book)
  • Frosty the Snowman (Frosty the Snowman)
Note: The decision was made to consolidate all Disney publications under the name Walt Disney Company. This profile is for Walt Disney, the characters he created, and the company he founded. Any questions, please ask in the Librarian's Group.

Walter Elias “Walt” Disney (December 5, 1901 – December 15, 1966) was an American film producer, director, screenwriter, voice actor, animator, entrepreneur,
More about Walt Disney Company...

Walt Disney Classics (2 books)
  • Robin Hood (Disney's Classic Storybook)