Start by marking “The Dragon with the Girl Tattoo” as Want to Read:
The Dragon with the Girl Tattoo

The Dragon with the Girl Tattoo

3.36 of 5 stars 3.36  ·  rating details  ·  118 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Lizbreath Salamander is young and beautiful. Her scales have an iridescent sheen, her wings arch proudly, her breath has a tang of sulfur. And on her back a tattoo of a mythical creature: a girl. But when Lizbreath is drawn into a dark conspiracy she will have to rely on more than her beauty and her vicious claws the size of sabres ...A dragon has disappeared, one of a sec ...more
Published September 1st 2011 by Gollancz (first published November 11th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Dragon with the Girl Tattoo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dragon with the Girl Tattoo

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonTattoo Murder Case by Akimitsu TakagiTattoo by Jennifer Lynn BarnesThe Grave Tattoo by Val McDermidThe Concubine's Tattoo by Laura Joh Rowland
Fiction books with tattoo in the tile
20th out of 30 books — 8 voters
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark HaddonThe Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonThe Horse and His Boy by C.S. LewisThe Tale of Peter Rabbit by Beatrix PotterMrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert C. O'Brien
The Chinese Zodiac
107th out of 525 books — 31 voters

More lists with this book...

Ian Heidin[+]Fisch
Mar 13, 2011 Ian Heidin[+]Fisch marked it as to-read
Shelves: a-wish-liszt, reviews
I hope Adam Roberts doesn't die before he finishes "The Hornet That Kicked the Girl's Nest".
Anais919
Like this one!! Quite funny parody! Like the references to the Smaug and Sherlock!! Ben Cumberbatch on the mind anyone!!
Lee-anne Mager
Surprisingly good, but then i haven't read 'The girl with the Dragon tattoo' so had nothing to compare it too!
Steve Gillway
A cracking parody. He goes to town on the syntax and some of the characters. Very cleverly done.
Ross Hamilton
This is obviously a parody of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Writing a parody is fraught with peril. What you as the author thinks is funny is not necessarily as funny in the mind of others. There is the added problem of how much of the original storyline to retain and how much to depart from, to give the parody its own story-telling legs.

Overall I think Adam Roberts has achieved that balance.

The novel is set in a world that is inhabited by dragons, where humanity is considered by many to be a
William
I side-eyed this book on the library shelf and read the back of some of the author's other books before grabbing it and self-checking it out before anyone noticed. Not the most highbrow of books, clearly.

In the end though, although I got about halfway through, I had to give to give it up for an unusual reason: too much humorous dragon rape. There were some good jokes, such as riffing on the "anti-climactic" nature of the parodied book and a reference to dragons' dirty reading material as "Pernog
Adam Kasper
As a parody, the book was somewhat alright. The plot did follow the original closely but had its own twists.

The story was easy enough to follow, but slowly lost energy as the climax in the book was met. When i finally found out that the knot of the problem was being unraveled, the book was nearly over making for a short lived amount of action for this particular novel.

Overall, the book was okay for the time being and fulfilled the void between books
Munaya Al salhee
This is the first time that I do a review about a book, so here it goes.

I haven't read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo but i hope in the future i will. While I was reading this reading I really enjoyed it, it made me want to read the original book. The writing style and how the characters were portrayed were fabulous and fantastic.

Overall, I truly enjoyed the book.
Pat Timpanaro
This was a fun parody of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Not a great book, but fun to read. If you haven't read the original, there is no point in reading this one.

There's not much else to say.
Ken Bateman
Have you ever wondered how dragons practically and safely go about orally raping each other? Read this book and find out!

The book reads like the author had an obligation to put a joke in every 300 words, much like a hack radio DJ has an obligation to end each of their segments with a lame joke.
Robert
Having not read the original, I'm unqualified to say whether it's better. I will say that I enjoyed this book a great deal and I no longer feel compelled to read "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" which I've been told is rather meandering and involves a lot of coffee.
Jacquie South
A reasonably amusing parody of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, this book has some quite funny passages. It does a pretty good job of caputring the tone and some of the storylines of the original, without making it a copy. Novelty value will get it read.
Kamal
Did anyone say 'parody'? Truth be told, one can read this book without having read any of Stieg Larsson's books and you will be perfectly able to enjoy this book through and through. A really delightful laugh out loud weekend read.
Kirstyn
Fairly average. At times it had amusing moments but it was a bit too repetitive and tried a bit too hard to be rated higher than average. Will not bother reading again.
Robyn
It was alright. A satire on a book that I haven't read (but I've seen the movies). It lacks the seriousness of the original book and it isn't all that funny.
Simone
took a while to get into it but got hooked by about half way. worth persisting as the story unfolds very well and is very intellectual and complex.
Wan Ni
Unable to induce more than a chuckle for me; while the references are present, it fails to humor. Certain portions are evidently "trying too hard".
Alice
Jun 10, 2012 Alice added it
I couldn't finish it. It was awful, felt moronic, and perhaps I should have pushed onwards, but the poor satire just wouldn't let me.
Mimi
Feb 04, 2012 Mimi marked it as abandoned
I can't give this any star. The idea of a parody amused me, the Dragon is named Lizbreath Salamander, but the book is trash.
Nathalie
An okay parody with some funny passages and some not so funny.
Caroline Ingvaldsen
Likeable parody of the mystery series where people are the fantasy.
James
Jan 27, 2011 James marked it as to-read
Yes, you read that right. It's a parody of Stieg Larsson's novel.
Mariam
This book is amazing it inspired me to read more of your books
Darlene
Oct 22, 2011 Darlene marked it as to-read
I want to read this if only for the title!
Natasha Venter van niekerk

A good laugh!! Enjoyed it.
Erik
Lots of clever puns. Interesting world. Overall, fun parody of Larsson's book.
Sayara
Sayara marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Suicide Girls in the Afterlife
  • The Mark of the Cat
  • Pinocchio in Venice
  • The Pickled Apocalypse of Pancake Island
  • Brittle Innings
  • The Japanese Devil Fish Girl and Other Unnatural Attractions (Japanese Devil Fish Girl #1)
  • If There Be Thorns / Seeds of Yesterday (Dollanganger, #3-4)
  • The Best of Gene Wolfe: A Definitive Retrospective of His Finest Short Fiction
  • All That Lives Must Die (Mortal Coils, #2)
  • Fox 8: A Story
  • White Devils
  • Caught Screaming
  • Amalgamemnon
  • The Purple Land

Adam Roberts (born 1965) is an academic, critic and novelist. He also writes parodies under the pseudonyms of A.R.R.R. Roberts, A3R Roberts and Don Brine. He also blogs at The Valve, a group blog devoted to literature and cultural studies.

He has a degree in English from the
More about Adam Roberts...
Yellow Blue Tibia Jack Glass Stone By Light Alone The Soddit: Or, Let's Cash in Again