Start by marking “The Dragon with the Girl Tattoo” as Want to Read:
The Dragon with the Girl Tattoo

The Dragon with the Girl Tattoo

3.41  ·  Rating Details  ·  148 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Lizbreath Salamander is young and beautiful. Her scales have an iridescent sheen, her wings arch proudly, her breath has a tang of sulfur. And on her back a tattoo of a mythical creature: a girl. But when Lizbreath is drawn into a dark conspiracy she will have to rely on more than her beauty and her vicious claws the size of sabres ...A dragon has disappeared, one of a sec ...more
Published September 1st 2011 by Gollancz (first published November 11th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Dragon with the Girl Tattoo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dragon with the Girl Tattoo

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonThe Tattoo Murder Case by Akimitsu TakagiTattoo by Jennifer Lynn BarnesThe Grave Tattoo by Val McDermidThe Concubine's Tattoo by Laura Joh Rowland
Fiction books with tattoo in the tile
20th out of 30 books — 8 voters
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark HaddonThe Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonTrancing the Tiger by Rachael SlateThe Tale of Peter Rabbit by Beatrix PotterThe Horse and His Boy by C.S. Lewis
The Chinese Zodiac
106th out of 473 books — 52 voters

More lists with this book...

Ian Not His Real Name
Mar 13, 2011 Ian Not His Real Name marked it as to-read
Shelves: a-wish-liszt, reviews
I hope Adam Roberts doesn't die before he finishes "The Hornet That Kicked the Girl's Nest".
Tim Hicks
Oct 03, 2015 Tim Hicks rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
You can read this quickly, and it's fun.
It starts out as a straight-up take-off of the Girl With ... but about 3/4 of the way through Roberts uses his SF chops to write a rather different ending.

As soon as Roberts realized that one character could be Lizbeth Salamander, this book must have almost written itself.

There's one rather icky dragon-rape scene, but in sum there's much less nasty stuff than in the original.

There are some groaner puns and a few truly cringeworthy ones.

In the end, the
Lee-anne Mager
Mar 25, 2013 Lee-anne Mager rated it really liked it
Surprisingly good, but then i haven't read 'The girl with the Dragon tattoo' so had nothing to compare it too!
Janelle Dazzlepants
Anais919
Aug 29, 2011 Anais919 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
Like this one!! Quite funny parody! Like the references to the Smaug and Sherlock!! Ben Cumberbatch on the mind anyone!!
Steve Gillway
Sep 22, 2011 Steve Gillway rated it really liked it
A cracking parody. He goes to town on the syntax and some of the characters. Very cleverly done.
Ross Hamilton
Dec 27, 2011 Ross Hamilton rated it liked it
This is obviously a parody of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Writing a parody is fraught with peril. What you as the author thinks is funny is not necessarily as funny in the mind of others. There is the added problem of how much of the original storyline to retain and how much to depart from, to give the parody its own story-telling legs.

Overall I think Adam Roberts has achieved that balance.

The novel is set in a world that is inhabited by dragons, where humanity is considered by many to be a
William
Dec 05, 2012 William rated it did not like it
I side-eyed this book on the library shelf and read the back of some of the author's other books before grabbing it and self-checking it out before anyone noticed. Not the most highbrow of books, clearly.

In the end though, although I got about halfway through, I had to give to give it up for an unusual reason: too much humorous dragon rape. There were some good jokes, such as riffing on the "anti-climactic" nature of the parodied book and a reference to dragons' dirty reading material as "Pernog
Shara
Mar 22, 2015 Shara rated it it was amazing
A parody of Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. usually very hard to do, but Adam Roberts managed to pull it off nicely. Exciting and different. I hope for more parody novels by him in the future. This has made me want to read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.
Adam Kasper
Jan 14, 2014 Adam Kasper rated it it was ok
As a parody, the book was somewhat alright. The plot did follow the original closely but had its own twists.

The story was easy enough to follow, but slowly lost energy as the climax in the book was met. When i finally found out that the knot of the problem was being unraveled, the book was nearly over making for a short lived amount of action for this particular novel.

Overall, the book was okay for the time being and fulfilled the void between books
Munaya Al salhee
Nov 03, 2014 Munaya Al salhee rated it it was amazing
This is the first time that I do a review about a book, so here it goes.

I haven't read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo but i hope in the future i will. While I was reading this reading I really enjoyed it, it made me want to read the original book. The writing style and how the characters were portrayed were fabulous and fantastic.

Overall, I truly enjoyed the book.
Pat Timpanaro
Jun 08, 2013 Pat Timpanaro rated it liked it
This was a fun parody of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Not a great book, but fun to read. If you haven't read the original, there is no point in reading this one.

There's not much else to say.
Ken Bateman
Dec 15, 2011 Ken Bateman rated it did not like it
Have you ever wondered how dragons practically and safely go about orally raping each other? Read this book and find out!

The book reads like the author had an obligation to put a joke in every 300 words, much like a hack radio DJ has an obligation to end each of their segments with a lame joke.
R
Jan 27, 2012 R rated it really liked it
Having not read the original, I'm unqualified to say whether it's better. I will say that I enjoyed this book a great deal and I no longer feel compelled to read "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" which I've been told is rather meandering and involves a lot of coffee.
Jacquie South
Jul 24, 2012 Jacquie South rated it liked it
A reasonably amusing parody of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, this book has some quite funny passages. It does a pretty good job of caputring the tone and some of the storylines of the original, without making it a copy. Novelty value will get it read.
Kamal
Aug 12, 2013 Kamal rated it really liked it
Did anyone say 'parody'? Truth be told, one can read this book without having read any of Stieg Larsson's books and you will be perfectly able to enjoy this book through and through. A really delightful laugh out loud weekend read.
Kirstyn
Aug 03, 2011 Kirstyn rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Fairly average. At times it had amusing moments but it was a bit too repetitive and tried a bit too hard to be rated higher than average. Will not bother reading again.
Robyn
Jun 18, 2012 Robyn rated it it was ok
Shelves: comedy
It was alright. A satire on a book that I haven't read (but I've seen the movies). It lacks the seriousness of the original book and it isn't all that funny.
Simone
Apr 26, 2012 Simone rated it really liked it
took a while to get into it but got hooked by about half way. worth persisting as the story unfolds very well and is very intellectual and complex.
Wan Ni
Jun 06, 2011 Wan Ni rated it it was ok
Unable to induce more than a chuckle for me; while the references are present, it fails to humor. Certain portions are evidently "trying too hard".
Alice
Feb 16, 2015 Alice rated it did not like it
I couldn't finish it. It was awful, felt moronic, and perhaps I should have pushed onwards, but the poor satire just wouldn't let me.
Mimi
Feb 04, 2012 Mimi marked it as abandoned
I can't give this any star. The idea of a parody amused me, the Dragon is named Lizbreath Salamander, but the book is trash.
Nathalie
Jun 17, 2013 Nathalie rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013
An okay parody with some funny passages and some not so funny.
Caroline Ingvaldsen
Jun 30, 2011 Caroline Ingvaldsen rated it liked it
Likeable parody of the mystery series where people are the fantasy.
James
Jan 27, 2011 James marked it as to-read
Yes, you read that right. It's a parody of Stieg Larsson's novel.
Mariam
Jul 02, 2013 Mariam rated it it was amazing
Shelves: stars
This book is amazing it inspired me to read more of your books
Darlene
Oct 22, 2011 Darlene marked it as to-read
I want to read this if only for the title!
Natasha Venter van niekerk

A good laugh!! Enjoyed it.
Erik
May 27, 2013 Erik rated it really liked it
Lots of clever puns. Interesting world. Overall, fun parody of Larsson's book.
Billy Roberts
  • The Forever Gate
  • Pinocchio in Venice
  • The Mark of the Cat
  • Apocalypso
  • The Best of Gene Wolfe: A Definitive Retrospective of His Finest Short Fiction
  • Brittle Innings
  • The Liberator (Tarizon Trilogy #1)
  • The Lands of Ice and Fire: Maps from King's Landing to Across the Narrow Sea
  • Galaxy of Heroes
  • New Moan: The Twishite Saga - A Parody
  • Gringos
  • Safari: A Photicular Book
  • Impractical Jokes

Adam Roberts (born 1965) is an academic, critic and novelist. He also writes parodies under the pseudonyms of A.R.R.R. Roberts, A3R Roberts and Don Brine. He also blogs at The Valve, a group blog devoted to literature and cultural studies.

He has a degree in English from the
More about Adam Roberts...