Start by marking “The Essentials of Living Aboard a Boat: The Definitive Guide for Liveaboards” as Want to Read:
The Essentials of Living Aboard a Boat: The Definitive Guide for Liveaboards

The Essentials of Living Aboard a Boat: The Definitive Guide for Liveaboards

3.46  ·  Rating Details  ·  79 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
The Essentials of Living Aboard a Boatspeaks to dreamers and explorers alike, presenting information about this wonderful and rewarding lifestyle. Mark Nicholas has combined his experience of life aboard with the advice of other liveaboards, marina owners, technicians, boat manufacturers, and advocates in order to detail the challenges and offer real advice for success. Th ...more
Published February 20th 2013 by Paradise Cay Publications (first published April 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Essentials of Living Aboard a Boat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Essentials of Living Aboard a Boat

Bartholomew Timm
Jun 28, 2016 Bartholomew Timm rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2016
Mark Nicholas pulls no punches - he tells you the good, the bad, and the ugly about living aboard a boat. I have toyed with the idea for years, and all the good things he writes about reinforced what a great life choice it is. However, all the problems and expenses make me seriously question whether this is a good choice. I love being on the water and sailing, but his consistent discussions about the problems with heads (toilets), the smells, and the mold and the difficulties of dealing with oth ...more
Nancy
Sep 18, 2007 Nancy rated it liked it
Recommends it for: any curious folks
This book is great if you are thinking about making the plunge. Its a good overall introduction and overview of what to expect. It does not however go into ANY technical details - which makes it a quick easy read, but doesnt so much add to the practical nature of things.
Will
Apr 20, 2012 Will rated it liked it
Well i think this is a good book as a jumping off point but it is far to vague, not nearly comprehensive enough, nor insightful or filled with a variety of circumstances be anything near the "Definitive guide to living aboard." A closer approximation would be "One mans guide to living aboard based solely on his experiences in a particular set up" and even then comprehensive does not enter into the equation.

His writing style, funny anecdotes of his failures and successes and good solid general a
Jamie
Sep 12, 2014 Jamie rated it liked it
Excellent advice, personal stories, and general information for people thinking about moving onto a boat. I think every person has different experiences, but this book contains a wealth of information and is a good read for anyone thinking about getting into it. Are you made to be a live aboard??
John Edward
If I ever buy or live aboard a sail boat, I will be glad I read this book.
Michael
OK, I admit I read this one well after I'd learned most things the difficult way. I'm a surly sailor myself now, and allowed to break this guy's balls! Shrink-wrapping? You crazy? How do you get in and out? Oh yeah, he's in Boston Harbor. hah hah. Man, that would be rough. I love living on my sailboat, but there've been a few minor problems. And I SUPPOSE it might have helped if I'd seen this before. Maybe :)
Jeff Ford
Jun 01, 2015 Jeff Ford rated it really liked it
Good introductory book. I found it to be a worthwhile read. Like anything, living aboard a boat is a very personal decision. What works for some won't work for others.
Jay Taylor
Jay Taylor rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2016
Lory
Lory marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
Julie Drouin
Julie Drouin marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
Carinn
Carinn rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2016
Benjamin
Benjamin rated it really liked it
hdtv
hdtv added it
Dan
Dan rated it really liked it
Prasun Barnawal
Prasun Barnawal marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Suavi Alper
Suavi Alper rated it really liked it
May 29, 2016
Scott
Scott rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2016
Monica Boctor
Monica Boctor marked it as to-read
May 07, 2016
Peter Bisson
Peter Bisson marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
Ray Johnson
Ray Johnson rated it liked it
Apr 03, 2016
Shadowclaw
Shadowclaw marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2016
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2016
Van and Chrissy
Van and Chrissy rated it it was ok
Feb 20, 2016
Anne
Anne added it
Mar 06, 2016
Rick
Rick marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2016
David Fuller
David Fuller rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2016
Jen
Jen rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2016
Kelli
Kelli marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Neil Hanson
Neil Hanson rated it liked it
Jan 08, 2016
Sallyann Hackett
Sallyann Hackett marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2015