Start by marking “The Art of Encaustic Painting: Contemporary Expression in the Ancient Medium of Pigmented Wax” as Want to Read:

Encaustic is a waxed-based painting medium characterized by luminous color and a lush surface. It's an ancient art, dating as far back as Ancient Greece and the Roman Empire, and today is enjoying a revival.

Here is the first comprehensive guide available on mastering this beautiful yet demanding medium. In The Art of Encaustic Painting, readers will learn surefire ways to
Published June 1st 2001 by Watson-Guptill

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Encaustic Painting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Encaustic Painting

Jill
Oct 12, 2012 Jill rated it really liked it
Odd layout. Examples are shown in the front 50+ pages, the technique us explained in length the last two chapters of the book. I found it easier to ask my Painting professor for help getting started than using these instructions, which were full of dire consequences and flash points and what to do in case of wax burns or how to mix pigments with wax (not happening w/ my setup!).

In other words, get a griddle, muffin tin/chicken or tuna cans for putting in colors, an encaustic paint set with begi
Marcia
Nov 25, 2009 Marcia rated it really liked it
Shelves: arts-crafts
Encaustic painting was popular in the ancient world for head and shoulder paintings set into mummy casings as funerary portraits. Ancient encaustic utilizes beeswax and natural pigments to obtain luminously beautiful skin tones that have survived 2000 years in the Egyptian desert. An archaic and technically difficult medium, encaustic has seen a revival of use in the last 20 years. This book abounds with modern examples and details both old and new techniques for the interested artist and art lo ...more
Rebecca
May 26, 2012 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-own-it
This is a great starter book on encaustic painting. It's simplicity for starting out and basic supplies got me started and now I am ready to paint with encaustic. The initial cost of supplies was daunting, but will last me a long time. I read this cover to cover and now I'm ready to read more books on the subject.
Lizzie
Jan 05, 2017 Lizzie rated it it was amazing
I wish I didn't live in a cold country, as I'd love to explore this medium! The pictures in this book are fantastic. They really do justice to the amazing depth of color, and light, that the encaustic process achieves. A creatively inspiring book.
Nancy
Nov 18, 2009 Nancy rated it it was amazing
Excellent overview about encaustic, with a surprising amount of detail. What inspires me most, however, are the beautiful examples Mattera chose to include. Very exciting work.
Andria
Dec 20, 2013 Andria rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art
Even though encaustic is not something I can do because of medical reasons, I love the technique. This was a great beginner explanation book.
planet
Mar 19, 2008 planet rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone interested in encaustic painting (painting with beeswax)
Shelves: art
an awesome resource! with some gorgeous examples!
Rj
Dec 24, 2016 Rj rated it really liked it
Matters' book is a collection of contemporary encaustic pieces for inspiration.
Joy Houglum
May 05, 2008 Joy Houglum rated it it was amazing
Fascinating history... and art form!
Elise Hamilton
Elise Hamilton rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2014
Jan
Jan rated it it was amazing
Nov 19, 2008
Abigail
Abigail rated it it was amazing
Aug 29, 2012
Hepe
Hepe rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2008
wunderkammer
wunderkammer rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2008
Karen
Karen rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2013
Linda Bishara
Linda Bishara rated it it was ok
Dec 13, 2013
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Jul 05, 2015
Malissa Martin
Malissa Martin rated it it was amazing
Sep 11, 2014
Christopher
Christopher rated it it was amazing
Nov 10, 2015
Megan
Megan rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2012
A J
A J rated it it was amazing
May 02, 2016
Corey Dangel
Corey Dangel rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2016
Devin
Devin rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2015
Jane Elizabeth
Jane Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Sep 01, 2011
Lori
Lori rated it liked it
Mar 26, 2013
Bouchard
Bouchard rated it it was amazing
Apr 29, 2009
Nou
Nou rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2008
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2016
Phillip
Phillip rated it liked it
Apr 17, 2012
Laurel
Laurel rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2011