Start by marking “Fletch's Moxie (Fletch, #5)” as Want to Read:
Fletch's Moxie (Fletch, #5)

Fletch's Moxie (Fletch #5)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  652 ratings  ·  20 reviews
In Fletch’s Moxie, the prolific Gregory Mcdonald tests his incomparable investigative journalist once again with a caper that is as perfectly plotted as Fletch is brilliant.

It seems just about everyone in Hollywood had a reason to want Steve Peterman dead. But how someone managed to put a knife in his back on a live broadcast without being seen is anyone’s guess. Unfortun
Published March 10th 2010 by Vintage (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Fletch's Moxie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fletch's Moxie

Tfitoby
OK, OK, I admit it, I love the Chevy Chase movie about the Fletch character and until today I had never read any of the books that inspired it. So what prompted me to jump in at book 5 rather than start at the award winning beginning? For some reason a colleague marked it as a $1 book and I couldn't resist it. Simples. I think it's probably wise to go about it this way rather than being sitting here complaining that the book isn't as good as the movie or having my love of the movie diminished by ...more
Hans
In the Fletch series, Gregory McDonald skips back and forth through the character's timeline, expanding the universe of characters while honing in on specific misadventures. In the fourth book (3rd in the timeline), we met Moxie, Fletch's life-long love interest who keeps their relationship fresh by pretending like they just met for the first time. She was a side character in that novel, but gets the title role in this fifth novel (8th in the timeline).

This book is about murder, the movie busin
Justin Grimbol
This book has lots of wildness and heart and dynamic characters.
I recommend Fletch and The Widow Bradley and Fletchs Moxie be read as one book. Both stories focus on Fletch and his actress girlfriend, Moxie. These two characters have such great chemistry. It's really charming, relate-able stuff. I feel like I could read an entire book that is just them talking to each other nonstop, no breaks. Nothing but dialogue. I want that to exist. I want it so badly.
Donna Murray
When there is a character you enjoy as much as I enjoy Fletch, it's a delight to find a title you missed. This one may not be as complicated as others but it was a pleasure to revisit the style I so admired when I was trying to break into print. The insights into Hollywood types were the highlight of the book for me.
Stuart Lutzenhiser
Fortunately or unfortunately I cannot read Fletch without seeing and hearing Chevy Chase. This one embroiled Irwin in the Hollywood set as Moxie Mooney's producer is killed on the set during an interview and Moxie is the likeliest suspect. Fletch to the rescue. Enjoyable read if a little bit formulaic. It makes for good, easy summer reading.
Joshua
3.5 stars... Not his best nor worst, decidedly above average but at times unfocused... I continue rereading the entire series in chronological order!
Mosh
This book started (and continued) for a good while somewhat below the expectations set by the previous Fletch books, but it came roaring back with an ending that (to my shame) caught me off-guard. It also strikes me as a novel that could be (should be?) well-adapted to the stage in the sense that it's a good cast that takes place almost entirely in a single setting.
Will
"Fletch's Moxie" has pushed a few other Fletch titles down the list of my favorites. Typically sharp McDonald dialogue, colorful menu of characters and a satisfying resolution to an impossible-seeming murder mystery made "FM" a quick, light read. I hate re-reading genre books when there are so many other titles I feel like I SHOULD be reading but finishing this makes me want to go back and revisit some other books in McDonald's Fletch series.
Leanne Hunt
Allowing that the story was well plotted, I still found this book a tedious read. The characters were shallowly portrayed, no doubt to preserve the element of mystery surrounding who done it, and the description of setting was sparse. As a result, the book read like a play script, full of conversations but without much depth. I am not a detective fan at the best of times, and this book just confirmed my reasons why.
Steve
I was thinking that this was not one of the best Fletch books through the majority of the story. But the ending really makes up for it and raised my overall opinion in the end. I've never really had a books conclusion come together in such a satisfying way before. I was impressed.
Mike
I liked a number of the secondary and tertiary characters in addition to the usual Fletch style. I think Chevy Chase was a poor choice to play him; I hear they're doing a remake and I hope they have better casting and also follow the book more closely.
Joby
Not as good as some of the other Fletch novels- Seemed like some of the characters were under-developed? But an excellent light read for those 30 hour train rides in china. (Bring other books too- this won't last anywhere near that long)
Dave
Well, I read it while I had the flu, but I think I'd like to try the whole series. Fun dialogue and characters, some dated sex/sexism, not a bad mystery.
Toni
I liked this book, it was fun to read. It's the only one of the series I've read so far, and I love the movies so that motivates me more to read the rest.
Nathan Hurst
Another fun read, full of fast double talk and plot that twists an turns with each chapter. Love the conversational style of Mcdonalds books.
Christian
A pretty decent mystery. Lots of odd characters in an odd setting. I just love Irwin M. Can't help it. I get a kick out of him.
Bryan Jaketic
I was thinking of giving up on this series, but this book changed my mind. Crisp, with interesting characters.
Andrew Hill
This was a really fast read--I forgot how much I enjoyed Fletch.
Brendan Nicholls
Brendan Nicholls marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Nicholas Chowske
Nicholas Chowske marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Abhishek
Abhishek marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
  • Three for the Chair (Nero Wolfe, #28)
  • He Who Whispers (Dr. Gideon Fell, #16)
  • Poison (87th Precinct #39)

Fletch (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Fletch (Fletch, #1)
  • Confess, Fletch (Fletch, #2)
  • Fletch's Fortune (Fletch, #3)
  • Fletch and the Widow Bradley
  • Fletch and the Man Who (Fletch, #6)
  • Carioca Fletch (Fletch, #7)
  • Fletch Won (Fletch, #8)
  • Fletch, Too (Fletch, #9)
  • Son of Fletch (Fletch, #10 - Son Of Fletch, #1)
  • Fletch Reflected (Fletch, #11- Son Of Fletch, #2)
Fletch (Fletch, #1) Confess, Fletch (Fletch, #2) Fletch Won (Fletch, #8) Fletch's Fortune (Fletch, #3) Fletch, Too (Fletch, #9)