Start by marking “Pyramid” as Want to Read:
Pyramid

Pyramid

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  690 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Through concise text and richly detailed black and white illustrations we come to know the philosophy of life and death in ancient Egypt.
Published April 26th 1982 by Harcourt Brace and Company (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Pyramid, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pyramid

Luann
I might have read this years ago, but I couldn't remember for sure. This is worth a second read, if that's what this was. I appreciate David Macaulay's skill at making things I am not terribly interested in very readable for me. I find the pyramids themselves very interesting, but all the minute details of construction could turn into a chore to read with a less adept author. Macaulay's illustrations help a lot with the details and add to my interest in the subject. I was very fascinated in the ...more
Andrew Watt
The pyramid presented in David Macaulay's architecture book is fictional and imaginary. Nevertheless, it is built in the 2400s BC in the same way that pyramids really were built about then, or at least were built insofar as we understand how they were built in 1982. Macaulay, despite being thirty years out of date almost, is still pretty much up to the minute on the 24th century BC and its technology.

does it show that I've been reading Charles Stross lately?

Anyway, this is an 80-page young-adult
Rebecca Jasman
Publication Date: 1975

Genre: Informational book

Awards won:

Themes: building, Ancient Egypt

Annotation: This book has black and white illustrations that take the reader through the process of building the Egyptian pyramids.

Ways to use the book with children: as a part of an Ancient Egypt unit, introduction to informational texts
Jenniferpawlik
This was a very detailed account of how Egyptian pyramids were built. The numerous sketches throughout illustrated the massive size of the pyramid, and the great number of people needed to build it. This is one of the books recommended by Spalding for sixth-grade students.
Anfinwen
If you are at all interested in ancient Egypt, it's customs and building methods, then this book is for you.
Pyramid is clearly illustrated and documents workers, tools, methods, and even embalming; all in an entertaining, almost storybook style.
Ebookwormy
I hesitate to put an age delineation on this timeless classic. We read it for elementary study of ancient Egypt, but Dad was just as intrigued as student and I'm sure the rest of the engineers in our family would sit with this classic and absorb the information.

The story that 'frames' the work is fictional, but all the technology is non-fiction. The main attraction of this book is the line drawings. These drawings that illustrate the numerous steps of the pyramid building process are invaluable
Abby S.
It's a really cool book that gives you a visual about how they made pyramids, and how the got the tomb down into the pyramids!! Really cool book!
Tim Brown
I've always loved David Macaulay's books. I remember spending hours and hours (and probably days) as a youngster poring over the fabulous illustrations in Castle and later Pyramid, Cathedral and Underground... I never actually READ them until I read them with my own kids. Still awesome.
Thom Foolery
This might be my favorite Macaulay book yet. It answers so many of my questions about how the ancient Egyptians were able to build such a technological marvel, and doesn't once bring up out-of-place modern technologies or pseudo-divine extraterrestrials in the process. One of many details—the use of water-filled ditches as levels—blew my mind!
Heather
We looked through this, but didn't read the text out loud. I didn't think my elementary set would understand it and it was a little slow to boot. They did really enjoy the pictures and it helped them visualize the things they'd read about in other books.

It's a valuable visual resource, but may not work for younger kids. I'll have to try it again when they're older.
James
Another of David MacAulay's great books that uses architectural history as a starting point to portray a whole culture and people, in this case those of the classical Egyptian civilization that created the pyramids. A great book to read with the kids or grandkids, like his companion volumes Castle, Cathedral, Mosque, City, Mill, and Unbuilding.
Mloy
"This was one of the more fascinating books on pyramids I've read; wonderfully informative, full of engrossing facts about construction, surveying techniques and the interesting tools of the era, accompanied by some amazing, detailed sketches. Makes you appreciate how awesome this ancient civilization really was."
Carol Spears
Another interesting edition. I learned that the ancient Egyptians thought (accurately, actually) that being dead lasts a lot longer than being alive so they built their homes out of mud and their tombs out of stone.
Kaethe
I didn't love this one as much as Castle. The Spouse is interested in Egyptology, so I found myself wondering how much of it is still true, thirty years after it was published.
Silme
Kendrick read this book and learned how an Egyptian Pyramid is built, the tools they used, the quarries stone was obtained from and building the pyramid itself. The book was primarily technical and contained little information about the people who built the pyramids.
Mcrabtree
Excellent book about how to build pyramids
Megan
Nov 04, 2010 Megan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Megan by: Book-A-Day Almanac 11/4/10
Black and white drawings illustrate this readable, informative description of the building of the Egyptian pyramids. Probably won't appeal to a wide audience, but readers with an interest in Egypt, mummies, or archetecture will find it fascinating.
Jill
The information and illustrations presented are great. However, it can get a little boring to read in one sitting. I will wait to read this with my kids when they are in the 8-12 year range - and do so in several readings.
Kris Minnich
I think this was my first Macaulay book. This was simply excellent for helping my young mind get a grasp on the amazing skills and techniques use to build some of the greatest monuments in the world.
Samantha
I like when the made the queen's pyramid. It is kind of weird when they take out the brain through the nose and they also take out the intestines and lungs and stuff through a little slit in the body.
Stacy
loved this book, walks you through how the pyramids were built, the illustrations sparked Jackson's interest
Lily
Classic black and white depiction of how a pyramid was built. If you ever wondered how they did that ... here are the tools and techniques in super-detail!

Now I want to go find McAuley's Cathedral.
Bowoo
Mar 12, 2011 Bowoo rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one, they shouldn't suffer like I did. :(
Recommended to Bowoo by: Ms. Grgich
It was the boringest book I have ever read. Ms. Grgich made us read it, and we had a test on it, and I didn't do that bad, which is surprising, considering I so wasn't paying attention.
St-Michel
Not as good as Castle but still a beautifully done look at one possible theory on the pyramid's construction through the use of delicate pen and ink drawings.
Hannah
I really like reading this book for history. It really gives good information about the way the Egyption's built the pyramids. It's really easy to understand.
Maria
Would definitely recommend to kids ages 9-12 who were interested in ancient Egypt, mummies, the Great Pyramids, architecture.
Alex
I used to love these books when I was a kid. Turns out they're still pretty awesome.
Crystal
Super wonderful book with tons of illustrations on life in Ancient Egypt.
Albert F. Jester
these books were such a treasure to me as a child! wonderful wonderful
Darren
It was fine. It talked so much measures and tools.
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be a Pyramid Builder!: A Hazardous Job You'd Rather Not Have
  • Cleopatra
  • Mummies Made in Egypt
  • Stephen Biesty's Cross-Sections Castle
  • The Pharaohs of Ancient Egypt
  • The Librarian Who Measured the Earth
  • The Children's Homer: The Adventures of Odysseus and the Tale of Troy
  • The Last Quest of Gilgamesh (The Gilgamesh Trilogy, #3)
  • Augustus Caesar's World
  • The Trojan Horse: How the Greeks Won the War
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be a Roman Gladiator! (You Wouldn't Want To)
  • Egyptology (Ologies, #2)
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be an Egyptian Mummy!: Disgusting Things You'd Rather Not Know
  • Leif the Lucky
  • Ancient Egypt
  • Pegasus
  • Egyptian Art
  • Tut's Mummy: Lost...and Found
David Macaulay, born in 1946, was eleven when his parents moved from England to Bloomfield, New Jersey. He found himself having to adjust from an idyllic English childhood to life in a fast paced American city. During this time he began to draw seriously, and after graduating from high school he enrolled in the Rhode Island School of Design (RISD). After spending his fifth year at RISD in Rome on ...more
More about David Macaulay...
Black and White Castle The Way Things Work The New Way Things Work Cathedral: The Story of Its Construction