Reading Together

Reading Together

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  36 ratings  ·  12 reviews
A dynamic guide to more than 100 books that will get kids talking and reading more.
How do children become good readers? In Reading Together, educational consultant Diane W. Frankenstein shares the secret: guiding children to find an appropriate book and talking with them about the story helps them connect with what they read.
This engaging guide shares advice for parents...more
Published September 1st 2009 by Perigee Books

Mary Ann
As parents, we want to help our children become successful readers, but the question is how can we best help our children? Diane Frankenstein has just published a wonderful resource to help parents do just this: raise a child who loves to read.

Countless research has shown that parents have a tremendous impact on helping their children learn to read successfully. But how do we help our children become "good" readers? Reading Together explains that it is through reading for pleasure that children...more
Mandy Hoffman
Do you want to raise a child who not only reads, but likes to read? Maybe even loves to read? Reading Together is a wonderful book to help you with "everything you need to know to raise a child who loves to read".

Diane writes about 101 books that kids will want to read and talk about. Each two-page spread features a book and gives a short synopsis, interactive questions to talk through with your children, a list of other books to read, and several other informative helps. In the back of the book...more
Andrea
[This review appears on both Andi's Book Reviews and Books for Parents and Teachers on Blogger.]

One of the most important things that parents can do for their children is to establish a love for reading from the very beginning. Reading Together: Everything You Need to Know to Raise a Child Who Loves to Read by Diane W. Frankenstein is a great foundational point for this.

In the introduction to this book, Diane outlines ways for parents to help their children find appropriate books to read, to tur...more
Kirei
This wasn't what I thought it would be. I thought it would give various tips on how to get my child to want to turn off the tv and put down video games and WANT to read books. Instead, after a brief introduction, it is a list of books with questions you can ask your child about each book. They tend to be the sorts of books that kids who are already readers are going to want to read. (The books she lists usually contain "big issues", especially the chapter books.) She doesn't list the totally fun...more
Monique
This is a great resource book to have for kids k-6 grade. I am ordering one of my own. It gives suggestions on age appropriate books to read to your children and what age they can read the books independently. I love that there are questions and discussions topics about the themes of the books. The author also gives suggested books that are similar to the highlighted books. A very big good book list for children.
Suzan
I like the idea behind this book, that after reading a book, talking about it and thinking about it is important and enhances the reading experience. There are several book suggestions along with different questions you can ask to get a conversation going (as well as brain cells).
Jolee
Yeah, so I'm a geek. I read books about reading books....esp. to children -- fostering that love of reading which has such an impact on their lives. Not a lot new here for me, but enjoyed the re-hash and the book lists. May use it for young reading clubs too.
Eric Anest
Not sure what I was expecting from this book, but didn't find it very useful at all. Also, it's more of a reference book and is not well-suited to Kindle reading, which is how I was trying to read it. Started but didn't finish reading the book.
Anne
I went to hear this author speak. , She's an incredible speaker. Her book is also very good...and that rare thing a book aimed at helping teachers and parents.
Courtney
I thought this book was greatly written. I learned great techniques and decided to a reading challenge with my son.
Rhonda
Jan 05, 2012 Rhonda is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
A reference book of books. Hoping it is as useful as the Jim Trelease resources.
Susan
Susan added it
Jul 02, 2014
Nicole
Nicole added it
May 05, 2014
Jennifer Eckert
Jennifer Eckert marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2014
Tistou
Tistou marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2014
Caroline
Caroline marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2013
Trenya
Trenya marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2013
Mona Aggarwal
Mona Aggarwal marked it as to-read
May 16, 2013
Lisi
Lisi marked it as to-read
May 06, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Diane Frankenstein is the author of Reading Together: Everything You Need to Know to Raise a Child that Loves to Read, Penguin Fall 2009. Her educational consulting business specializes in childrens literature and provides parents, teachers and librarians with the tools to ensure children learn to love to read. She holds a Master Degree in Children's Literature and Language Arts, with a specialty...more
More about Diane W. Frankenstein...