Start by marking “In A Heartbeat” as Want to Read:
In A Heartbeat

In A Heartbeat

From the acclaimed author of One September Morning comes a gripping new novel that explores one family’s journey in the wake of a horrific crime and its unexpected aftermath.

Kate McGann is wrenched from sleep by the 3 a.m. phone call every parent dreads. Her nineteen-year-old son, Ben, is lying unconscious in a Syracuse hospital after being attacked in his sleep by an unk

Published September 1st 2010 by Kensington Books (first published August 20th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about In A Heartbeat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In A Heartbeat

Aug 06, 2013 Laurie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book has some good moments, but overall It suffered from a predictable plot and limited character development. Lots of better books out there to read
I was pretty exhcited to read ‘In a Heartbeat’ but by the end it just ended up being an OK read for me. One of the biggest problems I had with this book was the author's decision to write it from multiple points of view. To write a story this way you really need to have both strong and enjoyable characters to account for the multiple shifts in perspective. Since at times I wanted to shake Kate and I was completely infuriated by Eli, the multiple view points didn’t work for me and just ended up b ...more
Oct 24, 2010 Ginny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book about a mother who is informed her son has been attacked in the middle of the night by an unknown assailant with a baseball bat. Each chapter shifts focus on a different character, building the tension and suspense. I loved this book as well as the author's previous novel, "One September Morning."
Sep 02, 2011 Margie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a very good read! It kept my attention the whole time. The ending was believable and good. So I don't give anything away - chapter 92 and 93 were the only unbelievable parts of the book. I would recommend this to anyone who likes relationship books or mysteries. This book is very good at combining the two. Read it!
Apr 09, 2012 Jenn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book, while long, was an engrossing read. I read the bulk of it in two days. I liked how each chapter was written from a different character's perspective. She evoked a great sense of empathy with all of her characters; they were very realistic, and each has his or her own unique set of strengths and foibles.
Oct 13, 2015 Paula rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I guess this could fall under the "good beach read" category but I could not cozy up to most of the characters...I think my mouth was hanging open when I read the part where a married couple revealed their secrets to each other...I didn't ever get past that...
Feb 28, 2011 Michele rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was ok. The plot line is predictable and you already knew what was going to happen but it still was a decent read.
I would recommend as a "beach book". One you don't mind putting down if something else comes up.

This book was very similar to books by Jodi Picoult or Barbara Delinsky though not quite as engaging. I was hooked at the beginning, and end of the book but the middle waned a bit.
Nov 26, 2010 Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was so long! It was about halfway through that I really got into it and started reading it in one sitting. It is all in all a great book, but didn't need to be so drawn out!
It was OK. I read it all, but knew who it was about 1/4 of the way through. I skimmed the whole mid-ending.
Shelaine Petersen
This was a good book, an easy read. I found that I really got attached to a couple of the characters. I was a bit underwhelmed by the ending.
Mar 27, 2016 Dana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
2.5 stars. This mystery was not terribly mysterious. The characters were not anyone i could get behind, and the interactions and motivations were mostly peculiar.
Jul 08, 2011 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The nightmare of a phone call that her son Ben is unconscious and has been beaten with a baseball bat leads Kate to reminisce, better understand her marriage and learn to accept a new reality
Victoria Kator
character overload...i think it would have been better without a dozen different characters to follow. i knew the bad guy right away...this was just okay.
Carol Bryn
Jul 09, 2013 Carol Bryn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-authors
My newest favorite author!
Susan Oconnell
Susan Oconnell rated it liked it
Jun 22, 2014
Kristin rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2014
Tera rated it liked it
Nov 17, 2010
Susan rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2014
Stephanie Fields
Stephanie Fields rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2016
Dawn Green
Dawn Green rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2014
Norma rated it liked it
Apr 25, 2015
Barbara Assarian
Barbara Assarian rated it did not like it
Jul 07, 2014
Kathy Smith
Kathy Smith rated it liked it
Sep 15, 2015
Sarah Dyczewski
Sarah Dyczewski rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2015
Amy Jacobson
Amy Jacobson rated it liked it
Apr 11, 2012
Laura Rizza
Very similar to a Jodi Picoult book. Predictable, but entertaining reading.
Ashley rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2015
Bdot rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2010
Susan rated it it was amazing
Oct 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Murder at Fenway Park
  • St. Nick
  • Ten Days
  • Weapon of Choice
  • Wishing on Baby Dust
  • Ray & Me (A Baseball Card Adventure, #10)
  • Drop Dead Divas
  • Blue Stars
  • Internal Medicine: A Doctor's Stories
  • Unseen
  • The Recruiting Trip (The University of Gatica #1)
  • Nostalgia
  • Kill Grandma For Me
  • Nothing Is Strange with You: The Life and Crimes of Gordon Stewart Northcott
  • The Outcast: a modern retelling of The Scarlet Letter
  • Beautiful Disaster
  • A Season of Darkness
  • Burned Alive: A Shocking True Story of Betrayal, Kidnapping, and Murder
ROSALIND NOONAN grew up in suburban Maryland and enjoyed being part of a large family. "With my four siblings, Saturday mornings were a blast," she says. "There was festival seating on the living room floor as we devoured cartoons and passed the Sugar Pops."

She caught the writing bug in second grade when she won first place in a poetry contest. "The prize was twenty dollars," she recalls. "That w
More about Rosalind Noonan...