L'uomo che piantava gli alberi

L'uomo che piantava gli alberi

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  2,158 ratings  ·  265 reviews
Quando penso che un uomo solo, ridotto alle proprie semplici risorse fisiche e morali, è bastato a far uscire dal deserto quel paese di Canaan, trovo che malgrado tutto, la condizione umana sia ammirevole.
Published January 1st 1998 by Salani (first published 1953)

Geoff
I read this book in its entirety (a slim 46 pages) sitting alone in a cafe in Annecy, in the French Alps. I was on my way to Provence that week, and I had brought this book along with me on my trip with the explicit purpose of reading Giono in Provence, already considering Joy of Man's Desiring and Blue Boy two of the finest French novels I had encountered, but I didn't wait. So I sat and read it, such the typical American tourist, in a cafe in Annecy le Vieux over a carafe of Jura wine. Afterwo...more
Arghya Dutta
For a human character to reveal truly exceptional qualities, one must have the good fortune to be able to observe its performance over many years. If this performance is devoid of all egoism, if its guiding motive is unparalleled generosity, if it is absolutely certain that there is no thought of recompense and that, in addition, it has left its visible mark upon the earth, then there can be no mistake.

An amazingly relaxing and uplifting allegorical story of a man, Elzeard Bouffier, who, in the...more
Teresa
E agora?
Depois de conhecer Elzéard Bouffier como posso eu continuar a ter a ilusão de que sou determinada, persistente e generosa?
Vou ter de o esquecer...
Nyamka Ganni
May 06, 2013 Nyamka Ganni rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Nyamka by: Indra
Highly recommended!!
It really is an amazing story. Truly inspirational and wonderful story about the man who planted trees in solitude. He never expected applause, nor recognition for his miracle work! He just focused on his work silently and revived nature, all alone!!

Let's plant trees whenever possible!

Highly recommended!!
Sam Quixote
I think peoples’ opinions on this book are based more on the message of the book rather than the story itself. It’s the story of a shepherd who plants trees over many years, slowly transforming his barren part of the world into a flourishing fecund forest during the years of the First and Second World Wars. And despite the destruction the trees remain. The message - man’s capacity for creation is as great, if not greater, than his own for destruction. And godlike acts can be done by anybody, eve...more
Пүрэвбазар
Time to relax your complicated brains my friends. Grab this and read. Its just an ordinary story of ordinary man who planted trees. I didnt mean to complicate anything about this beautifully written book but i just felt something really lonely. A man and a dog out in the open planted thousands of trees. What a story? Wish one day i gonna meet someone like him.

Thanks to Indra for great recommendation.
arcobaleno
Mi è ricapitato in mano.
Non lo ricordavo e ho cominciato a rileggerlo.
In un attimo sono arrivata alla fine: quaranta paginette semplici e deliziose.
E, come tutte le favole, con una importante morale!
Adam Floridia
Geoff's beautiful review prompted me to read this. Not being a fan of transcendentalism, I was hesitant. The first sentence in which the narrator states that a "human character [of:] truly exceptional qualities...is devoid of all egoism" and is guided by "unparalleled generosity," made me really worried. That isn't exactly the Ayn Rand doctrine that I have recently been so fond of.

Yet, I read on, and I'm glad. Perhaps having read this after a bottle of wine while sitting in the Alps, I would hav...more
Malapata
Después de tanto haber escuchado hablar de este relato el resultado ha sido algo decepcionante. Cierto que la historia es un canto a la esperanza y tiene un bello mensaje. Pero en cuanto a narración es bastante simple y pasa sin pena ni gloria.
Nick
This is a quiet story that has lasting resonance for me as I was lucky enough to plant trees in a barren wasteland of South India some years ago beside a man of simple but unwavering faith,and a young woman of unbounded enthusiasm,love and laughter, and return over the years to find wooded hillsides and crops flourishing beside them.
Rhys
A slim book, almost a short story, but incredibly inspiring. The tale of a shepherd who devotes his life to trying to repair some of the damage that humanity has done to the world by planting forests, one acorn at a time, is a simple masterpiece. It made me want to emulate Elzéard Bouffier and plant trees.
Indra
Haven't read anything as good as this in awhile.
Armed with only his physical and moral resources this man gave happiness to thousands. Oh wow... The idea of doing something great for others and doing it in silence, that is what I really admire. Highly recommend this book.
Lisa Vegan
I loved the wood engravings. The message of the story is inspirational. The planting of the trees/the trees themselves, wonderful. The execution of the telling of the story and some of the details of the story, I found less interesting.
Inspirational. If you need a story to inspire you to overcome your despair or any obstacles blocking you, this is one you should look into, or watch the movie:

Brian Kelley
First published over fifteen years ago, The Man Who Planted Trees fell into my hands via the internet only a month ago. I saw the title on another blog listing must-read stories.

To see a human being reveal really exceptional qualities one must be able to observe his activities over many years.

The tale is simple enough and is more of a non-fiction essay or a travel essay than a story. A man recounts his travels through a rather primitive region of the Alps and his encounter with Elzeard Bouffier-...more
Neha Thapliyal
Have never came across 4000 words that can have such great impact on anyone reading it.
The book is surprisingly simple but highly allegorical read and its so apt to the current times when we are 'planting' industries and are on the verge of collapsing because of our innate selfish pursuits of taking more an more and more from Earth and not giving back.
A must read for hedonistic , capitalistic society that we are becoming.

The most impressive fact about the book is its protagonist the tree-planter...more
Savvy
One man’s generosity to nature

“Twenty years ago Chelsea Green published the first trade edition of The Man Who Planted Trees, a timeless eco-fable about what one person can do to restore the earth. The hero of the story, Elzéard Bouffier, spent his life planting one hundred acorns a day in a desolate, barren section of Provence in the south of France. The result was a total transformation of the landscape-from one devoid of life, with miserable, contentious inhabitants, to one filled with the sc...more
Janette Wagner
A few years ago I was taking a graduate course in political economy and one of the questions we were studying had to do with freedom and agriculture. It stemmed from some of Thomas Jefferson's writings where he envisioned a society where every person owned and cultivated their own land. He felt that that was the best way to ensure freedom, true freedom, for the largest number of people. Other of the founders leaned more towards their English heritage of banking and manufacture. With 200+ years o...more
Duarte Branquinho
Uma das obras incontornáveis de Jean Giono é um pequeno livro inspirador, que mostra como a determinação e a simplicidade podem provoca alterações profundas no meio que nos rodeia. “O Homem que Plantava Árvores”, agora com nova edição ilustrada da Marcador, traz este verdadeiro conto de encantar de volta ao mercado nacional.

Jean Giono (1895 – 1970) nasceu, viveu e morreu em Manosque, na Provença. Só a Grande Guerra, as ocasionais idas a Marselha e três breves viagens para fora de França o afast...more
Jorge Maia
A novela O Homem que Plantava Árvores, de Jean Giono, foi escrita em 1953. É um pequeno texto que se tornou uma espécie de bíblia dos movimentos ecologistas. O próprio Giono disse que a tinha escrito “para que as pessoas gostem de plantar árvores”. Independentemente dos propósitos naturalistas do autor ou das leituras ambientalistas que foram feitas da novela, esta tem o particular condão de colocar o homem, na figura da personagem Elzéard Bouffier, na encruzilhada entre história e natureza.

Em...more
Carrie
Как може една толкова кратка и толкова простичко написана история да бъде и една от най-невероятните, до която някога съм се докосвала? Може би е истина, че зад най-обикновените думи се крие най-дълбокият смисъл, трябва само да четем със сърцето си, а не буквално.
Когато завърших ''Човекът, който садеше дървета'', веднага помислих, че това е най-необоримата апология на човека. (апология- от гр. - реч или литературно произведение, при което чрез възхвала се защитава нещо, към което са отправени н...more
Sam
Jul 24, 2007 Sam rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
The Man Who Planted Trees is a lovely little book by Jean Giono. I read my library's copy, a hardback published in 1985 by Chelsea Green. The story here is accompanied by beautiful woodcuts on almost every page, with lots of white space on the pages.

The story consists of a narrator recalling his several journeys across a deserted portion of Provence in France, between 1913 and 1945 or so. He meets a man there who is planting acorns in the desolate wastes, at a rate of about 100 per day. He is a...more
BarbaraNathalie
There are moments in a reader's life when she encounters a story that is so exquisite and memorable that just the mention of the book's title elicits a spontaneous smile, and a feeling of calm immediately radiates throughout her body. Such were the sensations I perceived within me when I read this extraordinary suggestion of the birth of lovely landscape in southern France.

A lonely man has been discouraged by the loss of his family through the advent of World War I. He picks up his tools and see...more
Brian Robbins
I loved the book, the simplicity of the story, the beauty of the illustrations. One of those books that you find yourself buying extra copies of to pass onto friends.

Always love to remeber where I first read books. This one had the perfect setting - staying in Easedale at a Quaker guesthouse, having found it in a favourite bookshop, Sam Read's, down the road in Grasmere village. For once a perfect setting for the book.

I did love the explanation after the story of how it came to be written, and...more
Fredrik
The Man Who Planted Trees, by Jean Giono, takes place in Provence during the first half of the 20th century. For years, the shepherd Elzéard Bouffier has seen the surrounding area being destroyed. The trees have been chopped down, the creeks have dried up, the villages have been abandoned. He decides to do something about it. He begins to collect acorns and plant them in the ground and, slowly, new trees start to grow.

The story isn’t long, just 47 pages (Swedish translation), and it’s a quick r...more
Guy
First book I have read by Giono... probably won't be the last. I read it in French, in Provence, and after a month-long hike through countryside similar and adjacent to the area he writes about. That is one reason it resonated, but perhaps not the most important. It's a simple tale, but effective -- it makes you think. About what you think will depend upon who you are and where you are in your life, but there's a good chance that it will inspire you, one way or another (unless that is, you are a...more
Virginia Pulver
My own brother is much like the protagonist in this slim volume - The Man Who Planted Trees shows us how one person and simple acts can evoke enormous change. Over the past decade, my brother (Byron Jeys Mawingo) has planted (or orchestrated the planting) of almost 100,000 trees on a barren mountaintop in northern Malawi(Africa). Jen Giono's novel is a quick read, but it will inspire you - and it certainly resonates with me. The writing style and the nature of this tale remind me, in many ways,...more
Overbylass
As a Landscape Architect I have seen the power trees have on the landscape and its inhabitants .Most of my work has been to ensure trees have been planted in rundown urban environments and I have seen the beneficial effects of this planting over time . A delightful book I would urge anyone to read. I bought my copy secondhand off Ebay and it has the inscription dedicated to the previous owner -'To Sarah, Here's a story of a man I'd like to be ,with much love Terry' I think we would all like to b...more
PolitePolarBear

...
Il pastore che non fumava prese un sacco e rovesciò sul tavolo un mucchio di ghiande. Si mise ad esaminarle l'una dopo l'altra con grande attenzione, separando le buone dalle guaste. Io fumavo la pipa. Gli proposi di aiutarlo. Mi rispose che era affar suo. In effetti: vista la cura che metteva in quel lavoro, non insistetti. Fu tutta la nostra conversazione. Quando ebbe messo dalla parte delle buone un mucchio abbastanza grosso di ghiande, le divise in mucchietti da dieci. Così facendo, elimi...more
  • The Wanderer's Necklace
  • Confessions of a Counterfeit Farm Girl
  • Tracy's Tiger
  • Favorite Poems Old and New
  • The Man Who Planted Trees: Lost Groves, Champion Trees, and an Urgent Plan to Save the Planet
  • Pictures from an Institution
  • Dášeňka, čili život štěněte
  • Saturnin
  • The Earth Moved: On the Remarkable Achievements of Earthworms
  • The One-Straw Revolution
  • La Conquête de Plassans (Les Rougon-Macquart, #4)
  • Adventures of Ideas
  • Grey Souls
  • Pilgrim's Inn (Eliots of Damerosehay, #2)
  • The Singing Tree
  • The Sense of Wonder
  • The Donkey's Dream
  • Rainwater Harvesting for Drylands (Vol. 1): Guiding Principles to Welcome Rain into Your Life And Landscape
Jean Giono, the only son of a cobbler and a laundress, was one of France’s greatest writers. His prodigious literary output included stories, essays, poetry,plays, filmscripts, translations and over thirty novels, many of which have been translated into English.

Giono was a pacifist, and was twice imprisoned in France at the outset and conclusion of World War II.

He remained tied to Provence and M...more
More about Jean Giono...
The Horseman on the Roof Un roi sans divertissement Joy of Man's Desiring Regain The Song Of The World

“Si uno quiere descubrir cualidades realmente excepcionales en el carácter de un ser humano, debe tener el tiempo o la oportunidad de observar su comportamiento durante varios años. Si este comportamiento no es egoísta, si está presidido por una generosidad sin límites, si es tan obvio que no hay afán de recompensa, y además ha dejado una huella visible en la tierra, entonces no cabe equivocación posible.” 1 likes