Start by marking “Salt of the Earth” as Want to Read:
Salt of the Earth

Salt of the Earth

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  184 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Joe Gere said he died on the afternoon his twelve-year-old daughter Brenda disappeared. It was left to Brenda's mother Elaine to sustain her stricken family, search for her missing child, and pressure the authorities for justice. From the first minutes of the investigation, suspicion fell on Michael Kay Green, a steroid-abusing "Mr. Universe" hopeful, but there was no proo ...more
Published March 15th 1997 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Salt of the Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Salt of the Earth

Jim Thomsen
The late Jack Olsen had a long career of sustained excellence, but it was not until he was well into his eight and final decade that he emerged with his masterpiece in "Salt Of The Earth" — a rich character study and profound exploration of loss wrapped up seamlessly in a first-rate crime story rendered in exquisite and tender prose.

It is a daring achievement, a deeply personal odyssey, that cuts not just across but over the top of the grain of the true-crime genre. One suspects that Olsen used
Rachel
My favorite Olsen book. It's almost shameful to call this "true crime," because that genre has been cheapened by too many so-called authors. It's a portrait of the struggles, including a horrific crime, of one famliy in the modern American West.
Jim
You don't read much about the Hungarians and even less about the Slovenes-but this story captures the hard working spirit of a family that suffers the worst experience: the murder of their child.

Written by Jack Olsen, a journalist. Olsen's exhaustive research, clarity,and quotes make the reader know these people and suffer with them.

Other books by this author are worth a read. Olsen does his own research. He is a masterful writer and storyteller.
Caren Nelson
TOO long! The editor really missed it...there were many details and characters that didn't need to be included and at times it seemed disjointed and repetitive. I was interested in the true crime story aspect though.
Eva Leger
Jul 19, 2008 Eva Leger rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: library find
Recommended to Eva by: Olsen fans
Shelves: b-true-crime
A great Olsen book! So, so, so, happy I read this. He never fails to teach me something!
Chana
I am not sure what I thought this book was when I picked it up, but I didn't realize it was true-crime at first.
I like reading books set in places that I have lived and I spent a lot of my life living in the San Fernando Valley and surrounding desert areas. Although I was never in Fontana that I know of, I was certainly in San Bernandino, Upland and other areas close to Fontana. I remember seeing the Hell's Angels on the freeways and roads in the area when I was a child and I recall the drinkin
Mary
May 22, 2013 Mary rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes true crime
Recommended to Mary by: Bookmooch
One day in September of 1985, 12-year-old Brenda Sue Gere was abducted from her family's home in Clearview, Washington. Her parents, Joe and Elaine Gere, were understandably devastated by the little girl's disappearance, and Joe said he effectively died on the day that Brenda was taken. It was left to Brenda's mother, Elaine to sustain her stricken family, search for her missing child, and pressure the authorities for justice.

From the first minutes of the investigation, suspicion fell on Michael
Salt of the Earth is just one of Jack Olsen's many true crime books, and an excellent one at that! Salt of the Earth is a perfect qualifier for the category well-known in the reading world as "Nonfiction That Reads Like a Novel", because it definitely does!

Salt of the Earth is a true story about the disappearance of a 12-year-old girl named Brenda Gere, and the effect it has on her family, especially her mother, Elaine.

From the time Brenda went missing, authorities believed that she was abducted
Lenny
Story of the short life of Brenda Gere, before she was kidnapped and murdered.
Betty R. Stewart
Wonderful book!!

Jack Olsen was a genius!! Arguably, his best work ever!!!! He will be greatly missed by his legions of fans!!
Paula Rae Anderson
good book, easy to follow. i think ill remember this one for a long time.
Ellis
Awesome!
loyda a straub
loyda a straub is currently reading it
Dec 15, 2014
Debra Damato
Debra Damato marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Jean
Jean marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Miswol
Miswol added it
Dec 03, 2014
Patricialogan8
Patricialogan8 marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Denise
Denise is currently reading it
Nov 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • So Far...
  • Die, My Love: a True Story of Revenge, Murder, and Two Texas Sisters
  • Fatal: The Poisonous Life of a Female Serial Killer
  • Careless Whispers
  • A Very Private Woman: The Life and Unsolved Murder of Presidential Mistress Mary Meyer
  • Our Little Secret: The True Story of a Teenager Killer and the Silence of a Small New England Town
  • Blind Eye: The Terrifying Story Of A Doctor Who Got Away With Murder
  • The Richest Season
  • The Wingless Bird
  • Just Desserts: The Unauthorized Biography of Martha Stewart
  • Miami, It's Murder (Britt Montero, #2)
  • Lost Souls
  • A Song for the Asking
  • Mommy's Little Girl
  • Temporary Sanity (Marty Nickerson, #2)
  • A Father's Story
  • Beyond Belief: The Moors Murderers. The Story of Ian Brady and Myra Hindley.
  • Storyville
Son I: The Creation of a Serial Killer Doc: The Rape of the Town of Lovell Night of the Grizzlies The Misbegotten Son