The Mammoth Book of Best New SF 23

The Mammoth Book of Best New SF 23 (The Year's Best Science Fiction #27)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  254 ratings  ·  30 reviews
This volume presents a collection of science fiction stories. It includes stories by the bright young talents of science fiction, as well as a host of established masters. The usual thorough summation of the year and recommended reading lists are also included.
Published September 1st 2010 by Constable & Robinson Ltd (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Mammoth Book of Best New SF 23, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mammoth Book of Best New SF 23

Clay Brown

I’ve been reading Gardner Dozois’ Years Best of Science Fiction tomes for a number of years. The truth is I believe I’ve missed the last two years of the series.

Well it appears that a lot can happen in two years. In this 27th Collection I was somewhat surprised by the tone and subject matter of Dozois’ collection.

Lately I’ve been hearing about a ‘sea change’ in science fiction writing. Young writers are coming into the field and they aren’t writing about space or robots as such. In many of the n...more
Dave
Took me a while to get through this one, but I'm glad I did. It was like reading a science fiction magazine in which almost all of the stories were good!

Here were my favorites:

Vandana Singh: "Infinites"
Peter Watts: "The Island"
Elizabeth Bear & Sarah Monette: "Mongoose"
Albert E. Cowdrey: "Paradiso Lost"
James Van Pelt: "Solace"
Ian McDonald: "Vishnu at the Cat Circus"
Robert Charles Wilson: "Utriusque Cosmi"
John Kessel: "Events Preceding the Helvetican Revolution"
Ted Kosmatka & Michael Poore...more
Stephen Thomas
Mammoth but woolly

When I was a kid, way back in the 70s, I devoured hundreds of SF novels. I loved the genre and still have a huge affection for it. But today I find it difficult to find contemporary SF writers that fill me with the sense of wonder achieved by the old masters (Dick, Delany, Farmer, Zelazny, to name but a few). So when I saw this I thought I’d give it a go in the hope that I might discover some new talent. It proved something of a disappointment. Although there are some good stor...more
Megan
While the first few stories lag in interest and quality, most of this anthology is of excellent writing and thoughtfulness. The stories are written by a diverse group of authors, and to my pleasure the protagonists stretch across the range of human experience: women, women of color, men of color, and sexual minorities narrate and star alongside the straight white male staples of science fiction. This attention to diverse viewpoints offers an enriching and engaging spread of fiction for the moder...more
Kim
Gardner Dozois' YBSF compilations are some of the best short story collections out there. I'm a huge fan of short fiction and of sci fi short fiction in particular and have been a long-time reader of this series. However, the past several years, I've fallen behind on reading YBSF collections because they're so giant and I can't easily cart them around with me. Hooray for e-books! I read through this from cover to cover and, although not every story was to my personal taste, I really enjoyed it....more
Magnus Itland
I bought this (well, the Kindle edition) to read the story "Infinities" by Vandana Singh. It had impressed a close online friend to the point of "wow".

To be honest, I don't feel this particular story was science fiction, as the only extraordinary part was the mathematician visiting the realm of mathematics physically (or so he believes) on two occasions. In the context, this is a religious experience more than anything, the character even compares it briefly to the Prophet being given a tour of...more
Brit Mandelo
The first thing I will say is that this is one big bastard of a book. The second is that I enjoyed it a great deal over a long period of time because of that--it's hard to go short story to short story with no breaks in between, and so this took longer than your average novel to read. As usual, Dozois picks some good stuff, and I skipped only one story (John C. Wright) in the whole thing. (That one for personal ethical reasons.)

So, also as usual, I'd recommend this collection for a huge honking...more
Ron
As usual, the annual Dozois "best of" anthology has lots of great stories in it. I tend to pick and choose which stories to read in this annual series, since Dozois collects a wide range of sf stories, not all of which are to my taste; even so, there were over a dozen I thought were excellent, and a number more I considered very good. For a full table of contents, see its Wikipedia pg.
Paul
I gotta hand it to Dozois on this one. While there were a few duds (as I am now expecting in every anthology) I can see that Dozois made an honest attempt to represent the broad spectrum of current SF. I'm a picky SF reader (i.e. tend to like the hard stuff with superior writing skill) and I count 12 stories that were superb. Several others were good. I've already read Robert Charles Wilson's "Utriusque Cosmi" twice and I'm sure I'll read a few other stories a second time.
Robert Day
This huuuge book took me nearly 2 years to read (off and on) but it was well worth the effort. I coughed up the full admission price for this one, which is rare for me, but it was good value for the £9.99 I paid.
Anything else I say would mean talking about individual stories, but because there are about 30 of them I just ain't gonna do that, but there's a good range - something for pretty much everyone. Read it yourself!
Ellen (Elf TajMuttHall) Finch
Pre-read observation: It's now sitting on my to-read shelf. I have read every one of these books cover to cover (although I'm a few years behind, just now reading 22nd). They're not all to my taste, but they're all readable and well written and I appreciate that Dozois has to cover a great deal of ground to ensure that everyone's ideas about what's the best will appear.
Dev
Having read volumes 8-26 w/ a great deal of wonder( I look forward every year to the latest installment). I was sorely disappointed w/#27. Instead of making me wish for what would happen next, I was left wondering is that it? Perhaps this was a bad year for short fiction. Nevertheless, it will take several more years of weak fare to make me give up this yearly treat.
Steve
Collects the best short science fiction of 2009, which seems like it was not that great a year for short fiction. The collection has a lot of good stories, but not a lot of great of memorable ones. My favorites were "The Island" by Peter Watts and "Vishnu at the Cat Circus" by Ian McDonald. As always, Dozois provides a good summary of the year in SF.
Lord Humungus
Overall, solid stuff. Unlike some years, where some exceptional works are included, this collection had many works I felt were good but not outstanding, and I think this was the majority of the stories. Some of these stories I'd already read in New Space Opera (also edited by Dozois).
Gevera Bert
Out of this whole collection, I LOVED one story (Mongoose) and disliked one (Twilight of the Gods). The most disappointing thing was the poor proofreading. Tons of misspellings, typos, homonyms & missing words. Can't remember that problem in any previous collection.
Erik
Couple of winners, bunch of real dopey stories too and some just mediocre hack stuff. Is this really the best out there, I doubt it. So far I liked Utriusque Cosmi, Black Swan, Things Undone, the Island, Escape to Other Worlds with Science Fiction, Solace.
Crescentm
I read a few short stories so far and could not understand how this could be the year's best. I'm still plodding through in the hopes that they left the best stories for later in the book.

I couldn't finish this book. I had to stop.
Alan
Paradiso Lost - Albert E Cowdrey
Twilight of the Gods - John C Wright
Bug
Sep 10, 2010 Bug is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Over the past few years I have had an increasing appreciation for short stories. Maybe the fit my hectic schedule? Anyhow these are great collections, excited to have a new one
Jim Gleeson
I consider this book to be my "dessert" of the year. It takes me about a month to read, because it runs about 30+ stories, and some of them take more time to read than others.
James
Essential reading for any science fiction fan. There is guaranteed to be quite a few stories in this selection that will leave you in a haze.
Jeff
read maybe half of these before I had to take it back to the library. Very little here really grabbed me, but I liked the stories well enough.
Thomas
Particular favorites: Peter Watts' "The Island", Albert E. Cowdrey's "Paradiso Lost", and Nicola Griffith's "It Takes Two."
Larry Koester
Too many of the stories seemed more like pointless episodes to me rather than short stories. But I did enjoy some of the.
brendan
Really enjoyable collection of talent. Nice brain candy. Some inspirational ideas.
Richard Magahiz
Fascinating in its variety and the ways in which boundaries are pushed.
Andy
Fantastic summary of the field. Though it takes 1/4 of a year to read!
David Gallay
Awesome collection ... Full of gems to mine.
Robert
As usual mix of good and not so good.
  • Engineering Infinity
  • Darwin's Bastards: Astounding Tales from Tomorrow
  • The Apex Book of World SF
  • Shine: An Anthology of Optimistic SF
12052
Gardner Raymond Dozois (born July 23, 1947) is an American science fiction author and editor. He was editor of Asimov's Science Fiction magazine from 1984 to 2004. He has won multiple Hugo and Nebula awards, both as an editor and a writer of short fiction.
Wikipedia entry: Gardner R. Dozois

More about Gardner R. Dozois...
The New Space Opera The Best of the Best: 20 Years of the Year's Best Science Fiction The Year's Best Science Fiction: Twenty-Third Annual Collection The New Space Opera 2: All-new stories of science fiction adventure The Year's Best Science Fiction: Twenty-Sixth Annual Collection