In a Heartbeat

In a Heartbeat

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  187 ratings  ·  20 reviews
From the acclaimed author of One September Morning comes a gripping new novel that explores one family's journey in the wake of a horrific crime and its unexpected aftermath. Kate McGann is wrenched from sleep by the 3 a.m. phone call every parent dreads. Her nineteen-year-old son, Ben, is lying unconscious in a Syracuse hospital after being attacked in his sleep by an unk...more
Published September 1st 2010 by Kensington Publishing Corporation (first published August 20th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about In a Heartbeat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In a Heartbeat

Michelle
I was pretty exhcited to read ‘In a Heartbeat’ but by the end it just ended up being an OK read for me. One of the biggest problems I had with this book was the author's decision to write it from multiple points of view. To write a story this way you really need to have both strong and enjoyable characters to account for the multiple shifts in perspective. Since at times I wanted to shake Kate and I was completely infuriated by Eli, the multiple view points didn’t work for me and just ended up b...more
Margie
This book was a very good read! It kept my attention the whole time. The ending was believable and good. So I don't give anything away - chapter 92 and 93 were the only unbelievable parts of the book. I would recommend this to anyone who likes relationship books or mysteries. This book is very good at combining the two. Read it!
Ginny
I thoroughly enjoyed this book about a mother who is informed her son has been attacked in the middle of the night by an unknown assailant with a baseball bat. Each chapter shifts focus on a different character, building the tension and suspense. I loved this book as well as the author's previous novel, "One September Morning."
Jenn
This book, while long, was an engrossing read. I read the bulk of it in two days. I liked how each chapter was written from a different character's perspective. She evoked a great sense of empathy with all of her characters; they were very realistic, and each has his or her own unique set of strengths and foibles.
Michele Graves
It was ok. The plot line is predictable and you already knew what was going to happen but it still was a decent read.
I would recommend as a "beach book". One you don't mind putting down if something else comes up.

Karen
The nightmare of a phone call that her son Ben is unconscious and has been beaten with a baseball bat leads Kate to reminisce, better understand her marriage and learn to accept a new reality
Ann
This book was so long! It was about halfway through that I really got into it and started reading it in one sitting. It is all in all a great book, but didn't need to be so drawn out!
Margaux
This book was very similar to books by Jodi Picoult or Barbara Delinsky though not quite as engaging. I was hooked at the beginning, and end of the book but the middle waned a bit.
Laurie
This book has some good moments, but overall It suffered from a predictable plot and limited character development. Lots of better books out there to read
Shelaine Petersen
This was a good book, an easy read. I found that I really got attached to a couple of the characters. I was a bit underwhelmed by the ending.
Phoebe
It was OK. I read it all, but knew who it was about 1/4 of the way through. I skimmed the whole mid-ending.
Joan Horkey
Excellent. Rosalind Noonan brings her characters alive in this moving book about relationships.
Pmackay8
This was a pretty good read but easy to figure out, I like books that keep me guessing.
Krista

I really liked this book. I loved the characters and the different chapters.
Laura Rizza
Very similar to a Jodi Picoult book. Predictable, but entertaining reading.
Ivy
Quick reading and enjoyable enough, but VERY predictable.
Carol Eshaghy
Very enjoyable read. Perfect for Florida.
Tammy
Hit really close to home! Good read!
Carol Bryn
My newest favorite author!
Gary Hitzig
Gary Hitzig marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Jamal El-hachem
Jamal El-hachem is currently reading it
Aug 24, 2014
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
ROSALIND NOONAN grew up in suburban Maryland and enjoyed being part of a large family. "With my four siblings, Saturday mornings were a blast," she says. "There was festival seating on the living room floor as we devoured cartoons and passed the Sugar Pops."

She caught the writing bug in second grade when she won first place in a poetry contest. "The prize was twenty dollars," she recalls. "That w...more
More about Rosalind Noonan...
Whispers from the Past (Charmed, #4) And Then She Was Gone All She Ever Wanted One September Morning The Daughter She Used To Be