Start by marking “音もなく少女は” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
音もなく少女は

Boston Teran

音もなく少女は

In the Italian community in the Bronx of 1950, Clarissa-Catholic and uneducated-dies at the hands of her husband, a small-time drug dealer. Eve, his deaf and dumb daughter, is threatened with the same fate. A German refugee, Fran, taught the child how to communicate through sign and photography. This woman, marked by the unspeakable violence of Nazi barbarism, protects Eve
469 pages
Published 2010 by Bungeishunjū (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about 音もなく少女は, please sign up.

Matthew Lightfoot Personally, i think that the phrase to which you are refering, describing a silverfish as a "slithering eyelid of a thing" refers to the appearance of…morePersonally, i think that the phrase to which you are refering, describing a silverfish as a "slithering eyelid of a thing" refers to the appearance of the insect. If you look at a silverfish, it appears as if it were made up of a series of overlapping eyelid-like elements. This may also be an ironic reference to the fact that insects do not have eyelids.
To be honest, this is a bizarre yet imaginative descriptive use of the word eyelid and i have never heard it used in such a way before.
Its use here is completely subject to interpretation, but this is what I have interpreted it to mean.
I hope this helps :-)(less)

kohey
Apr 08, 2015 kohey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: home-library
One of the best I’ve read this year.
Diane
Sep 11, 2012 Diane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This book was recommend to me to read. I'm glad I did read it. Found it very well written and the characters made it worth the read. You felt like you was right there with them and fighting along with them to serve. I call this a one powerful read and gives you something to think about. Could you serve and make a better live for yourself.

This is very brilliantly written. The author has done a lot of research in written it. She has given us a lot of murder, kidnapping, some drug deals that have g
Kent
Aug 21, 2012 Kent rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another very good book by Boston Teran. I don't know if Teran is a male or female, or a group of authors. The first book I read, God Is a Bullet, I thought definitely a man. Now this book, similar style, high quality writing, engaging, BUT with all the sensitivity and understanding of female issues. Must have much female influence. The World Eve Left Us is slightly outside the genre of crime fiction, but a good dose of murder, kidnapping, drug deals gone bad, and male bullies, for the lovers of ...more
Kari
May 10, 2014 Kari rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: only-for-me
The "Bestseller in France" call-out and the haunting black & white photo compelled me to pull it off the shelf.

But the strong female characters kept me entranced as I read their tragic and triumphant intertwined stories. The writing made me feel like I was dropped in the Bronx in the Italian district in the 1950s...a hard read with much sadness but yet, strength in female relationships made me enjoy the "French Bestseller" including all the errors in the translation.
Chrissie
Jun 03, 2012 Chrissie marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Tara
Shelves: usa, medical, hf, immigrants, kindle
Currently free in the Kindle format. In France it is called Trois Femmes. Is this going to be a waste of time? I just made such a mistake. Do I do it all over again? I have three days to make up my mind.
Patricia
Not really my type of book. But I did read it all. Don't go by the cover picture, it does NOT depict
the book correctly............ Never does the name of the book.
****** Ok I read this & realized I had read it before. This time I liked the book. Not real happy with the end.
Amy
Jun 25, 2013 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The translation was awful, but the story was good.
Pamela Hale
I think Boston Teran is a collaboration of 2 or more authors- the writing did not flow as it would with one mind directing the traffic.
Jill Abtey
Jill Abtey rated it it was amazing
Jun 16, 2012
Sis
Sis rated it it was amazing
Jul 03, 2012
Jay
Jay rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2013
Mary Sweet
Mary Sweet rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2013
Julie Bennigsdorf
Julie Bennigsdorf rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2014
Twila
Twila rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2013
Mabstampabay.rr.com
Mabstampabay.rr.com rated it it was ok
Nov 17, 2015
Hank Erchief
Hank Erchief rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2012
Ken Hulse
Ken Hulse rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2014
Alice
Alice rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2017
Diane Phipps
Diane Phipps rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2014
Trevor Moseley
Trevor Moseley rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2017
Barbara Bogle
Barbara Bogle rated it it was ok
Jul 23, 2012
Luigi
Luigi rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2016
Mr
Mr rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2015
Hitomi
Sep 09, 2010 Hitomi rated it it was amazing
So sad, so intense, so great story.
Phyllis
Phyllis rated it it was amazing
Dec 11, 2012
Lisa Reinke
Lisa Reinke rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2017
Mike Betts
Mike Betts rated it it was amazing
Oct 28, 2014
Michele
Michele rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2015
Bev
Bev rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2014
Missy Hynes
Missy Hynes rated it liked it
Mar 25, 2016
Boston Teran is the acclaimed author of six novels. GOD IS A BULLET is considered a cult classic that has been compared to such seminal works as Joan Didion’s THE WHITE ALBUM and John Ford’s THE SEARCHERS. NEVER COUNT OUT THE DEAD has been called a modern equivalent of MacBeth and TROIS FEMMES (THREE WOMEN) has been reviewed as "a true masterpiece."

His two newest works: GIV - The Story of a Dog an
More about Boston Teran...