Start by marking “Patagonia Revisited” as Want to Read:
Patagonia Revisited

Patagonia Revisited

Since its discovery by Magellan in 1520, Patagonia was known as a country of black fogs and whirlwinds at the end of the inhabited world. It immediately lodged itself in the imagination as a metaphor for "the ultimate", the point beyond which one could not go. In this book, Chatwin and Theroux join forces to explores the instances in which the "final capes of exile" have a ...more
Published 1993 by Picador (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Patagonia Revisited, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Patagonia Revisited

Zuberino
Rare little book that I happened upon this weekend, although to be frank, if you've read the parent volumes, then there's really not a great deal here that is new. Bruce Chatwin's "In Patagonia" is widely credited with kicking off the modern genre of travel literature, a genre that has gone from strength to strength in the past four decades and now literally spans the globe. Paul Theroux, of course, is one of its most accomplished practitioners, with his own Patagonia book also regarded as a cla ...more
John Caviglia
Chatwin's In Patagonia is a far, far better book. This is more of a coffee table sort of sequel, built as it around photos of Patagonia. The photos are so so, in my estimation, and the alternating comments by Chatwin and Paul Theroux are just about as ho hum. What I actually most enjoyed--in an admittedly perverse way--was Theroux's thoroughly snarky and extremely funny introduction ... a kind of appreciation and critique (mostly the latter) of his late friend, Chatwin.
Carolyn
Jun 22, 2012 Carolyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Paul TherouxBruce Chatwin

This small nugget of a book (very old edition, with an endearing illustration of a horseback rider stamped between all the sections - thanks Brooklyn Public Library!) made a great travel companion in South America. Beyond their basic premise of Patagonia as a metaphor for the most distant possible place, it was fascinating too to read the excerpts they assemble from Darwin, Magellan, and other travelers' notes on their impressions of a land and people they knew nothing a
Oceana2602
This is the book that introduced me to Paul Theroux. See, I was a Chatwin fan way back then, my first "real" "grown-up" author, someon whose books I had discovered and decided to like all by myself (rather than having them given to me by parents or school).

I also happened to like Australia a lot (always with the teenage angst and the urge to go far far away from home), so Chatwin was heaven-sent.

Well, he was, because he introduced me to Paul Theroux, and I LOVE Paul Theroux. Yes, more than Chatw
Simone
Dec 21, 2015 Simone rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: completed, romanzi
Un viaggio interessante tra le trame di libri che hanno attinto all'immaginario collettivo sulla Patagonia. Raramente capita di leggere delle analisi trasversali sulle influenze che la letteratura e la cultura in generale hanno subito da eventi epocali, come le grandi esplorazioni geografiche. Un libro gradevole e scorrevole, che raffronta due opinioni parallele.
Stefano
A good book to complete a Patagonian trilogy started by Chatwin (In Patagonia) and Theroux (The old patagonian express).
It basically repeats some of the most interesting insights of the two books (the patagonian myths, Butch Cassidy etc.) with some deeper notes.
A short and easy read made by two of the most famous travellers-writers of our era about a land full of legends and mistery.
Mac Daly
Jul 31, 2014 Mac Daly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-favorites
I picked up this book because I'm planning a trip to Chile and I wanted to learn more about the country. I'm so glad I did. This slim volume contains literary snapshots from visitors from Charles Darwin to Butch Cassidy. We see the native Patagonians through the eyes of the first European visitors and get a feel for the magnificent, wild beauty of the area. I'm looking forward to my visit.
Emanuel
Emanuel rated it liked it
Feb 23, 2014
Milo
Nov 14, 2013 Milo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful little book by Theroux [Mosquito Coast] and Chatwin [In Patagonia]. 60 pages of insight into the giants and the influence of the Patagonia area in other famous writings including Poe, Shakespeare and several more.
Persona
Aug 01, 2015 Persona rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Considerando che è il primo libro che leggo di Bruce Chatwin e del fatto che mi era sconosciuto fino ad ora, direi che l'approccio è stato positivo e per quel poco di pagine che contiene il libro, l'interesse c'è stato in quanto amante della natura e sempre col desiderio di viaggiare.
Eva
Jun 13, 2012 Eva rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fic
Learned an interesting fact about Butch Cassidy.
Anne Sigmon
Feb 27, 2013 Anne Sigmon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it.
Jorge
Sep 13, 2011 Jorge rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Depois de ter lido In Patagonia de Bruce Chatwin, este livro nao acrescentou nada de novo.
Cherie
May 04, 2008 Cherie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, travel
B- Not exactly a travel book; skimmed
Patrick Dobson
Patrick Dobson rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2015
Lifesart
Lifesart rated it liked it
Sep 23, 2009
Meg Hassett
Meg Hassett rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2016
Iñaki
Iñaki rated it it was ok
Jul 14, 2012
Ann
Ann rated it liked it
May 13, 2011
steve pfaller
steve pfaller rated it it was ok
Jun 05, 2015
Eleanor Learmonth
Eleanor Learmonth rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2013
catarina tagaio
catarina tagaio rated it really liked it
Apr 09, 2016
Gilles Candotti
Gilles Candotti rated it liked it
Jun 26, 2015
Colin
Colin rated it liked it
Aug 13, 2012
Paige
Paige rated it it was amazing
Dec 04, 2014
Emanuela
Emanuela rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2014
Niel Vaughan
Niel Vaughan rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2013
Micaela
Micaela rated it liked it
Jun 14, 2017
Susana Anastácio
Susana Anastácio rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2016
Piero Basso
Piero Basso rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2016
  • Micronations: the Lonely Planet guide to self-proclaimed nations
  • Enduring Patagonia
  • Lapidarium
  • Where the Hell is Matt? The Story Behind the Internet Dancing Sensation
  • San Sombrero: A Land of Carnivals, Cocktails and Coups (Jetlag Travel Guide)
  • Semmelweis
  • Simultan: Erzählungen
  • The Wandering Jews
  • La última escala del Tramp Steamer
  • Let's Go: Europe 2007
  • In the Empire of Genghis Khan: An Amazing Odyssey Through the Lands of the Most Feared Conquerors in History
Charles Bruce Chatwin was an English novelist and travel writer. He won the James Tait Black Memorial Prize for his novel On the Black Hill (1982). In 1972, Chatwin interviewed the 93-year-old architect and designer Eileen Gray in her Paris salon, where he noticed a map of the area of South America called Patagonia, which she had painted. "I've always wanted to go there," Bruce told her. "So have ...more
More about Bruce Chatwin...