Start by marking “The Windsor Knot (Elizabeth MacPherson, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Windsor Knot (Elizabeth MacPherson, #5)

The Windsor Knot (Elizabeth MacPherson #5)

"Delicious. Delightful. A Royal entertainment."
Carolyn G. Hart
If forensic anthropologist and ameteur slueth Elizabeth MacPherson is to have tea with the Queen of England, she has to get married first. And in the space of five weeks, she plans to do just that. When an old neighbor receives word that her husband has died again, it's up to Elizabeth to determine just whose as
Published December 13th 1991 by Ballantine Books (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Windsor Knot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Windsor Knot

Jerry
Jul 04, 2010 Jerry rated it it was ok
Wedding Plan Machinations Dominate Very Light Mystery

It's amazing how reminiscent is this book of Margaret Maron's Deborah Knott series, in which Judge Knott usually presides over a light mystery as an excuse for 250 pages of southern folksy chit chat. In "Knot", it's the same thing with the leading lady, Elizabeth MacPherson. Liz is a forensic pathologist, a profession apparently in vogue given the Kathy Reichs series of books and TV show "Bones". However, MacPherson is really little more than
aPriL does feral sometimes
Nov 29, 2013 aPriL does feral sometimes rated it liked it
Shelves: humor, cozy
Elizabeth MacPherson is a feather-brained shallow woman who nonetheless becomes periphally involved in nearby murders. She is a teacher and is studying forensic anthropology for her graduate degree. However, to her dead bodies are similar to rocks; her real passions are her Scottish boyfriend, Cameron Dawson, and the English Royal family. When he calls from his family home in Scotland to Elizabeth in Virginia to tell her of an invitation from to Queen to attend a garden tea party at the Palace ...more
Kate
May 16, 2012 Kate rated it it was ok
"...Sharyn McCrumb has now written the novel that Elizabeth MacPherson-watcher have been waiting for: Elizabeth is getting married. How and why is typically outrageous, in a mystery of Southern manners and small-town mayhem that is laced with the mordant humor that has become McCrumb's singular trademark.

"Racing to complete her doctoral research in her specialty of forensic anthropology, Elizabeth MacPherson's summer is totally booked -- until her Scottish fiance, Cameron Dawson, calls from acro
I can't believe this was an Edgar Award winner, but I might even have given this book 4 stars if it weren't for one major plothole: Charles Chandler tries to get married before Elizabeth to get the inheritance from their great-aunt, except that she is not Elizabeth's great-aunt. Elizabeth's mother Margaret is sister to Aunt Amanda, and Amanda's husband Dr. Chandler is the son of "Captain Grandfather" Chandler, who is the brother of the dead great-aunt. If anything, the old lady is Elizabeth's ...more
Suzanna
Jul 21, 2008 Suzanna rated it liked it
Elizabeth gets married in this book from the series, and while her fiance still feels a bit flat and underdeveloped to me, she was more like herself in this book and the general feel of the novel was light and fun. My favorite of Elizabeth's cousins, Geoffery, played a larger role than he usually does, and that was a bonus. (He reminds me of Val Kilmer's Doc Holliday in Tombstone.)

I liked this book better than Paying the Piper, but it still won't be one of my faves by this author. It was fun, an
Alycia
Feb 16, 2010 Alycia rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
A little disappointed. Thought it would be more about the mystery. However, the majority of the book revolved around the wedding, the mystery didn't even come into play until almost 2/3 of the way through the book. It ended abruptly, didn't give much clues as to a mystery. The book basically said "here is a dead body, well look here is the murderer" the end. The writing was good, I was interested, but it was under the category mystery and was more of a silly wedding novel.
Jenna
Apr 17, 2014 Jenna rated it did not like it
This was more boring than I thought it was going to be. I thought there would be more about murder but it didn't really happen in this one. The best part was definitely the bit about the gnome running on vacations. I would have like to see more of her cousin trying to get married. This is more about getting married than the actual murder. Out of all the book in the series I would say that this is the worst so far.
Valerie K
Sep 08, 2012 Valerie K rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable, I love the sense of humor throughout. Characters are varied and fun. This particular story (only one I've read with the main character who appears in other mysteries by same author) is not a typical murder mystery, there are side stories and the mysteries are only facets of the whole of the events. I highly recommend!
Cyn Mcdonald
Mar 29, 2013 Cyn Mcdonald rated it liked it
I don't remember ever reading the earlier books in this series, so it was kind of jumping into the middle of the story with Elizabeth and her family. The mystery was pretty clever. I'd forgotten that before she wrote the Ballad books, she wrote humorous stuff. Well, okay, I do remember loving Bimbos of the Death Sun.
Sue Kutay
Jun 09, 2013 Sue Kutay rated it liked it
I read the book in one sitting this morning with my morning coffee. This is not really a complicated mystery, the actual mystery actually happens in parallel to the preparation for a wedding. However the characters are engaging and the trials and tribulations of preparing for a wedding are depicted in a humorous manner.

A light read, good for a lazy Sunday morning.
Nicole Marble
Oct 08, 2007 Nicole Marble rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: just about everyone
How about a funny Agatha Christi? McCrumb is a southerner with a fascination with Scotland AND forensic anthropology. An unusual combination beautifully melded together!And a crackerjack mystery! Highly recommend!
Julie
May 31, 2011 Julie rated it liked it
This is no page turner but it's entertaining and well paced. There's more time spent on the wedding than on the mystery, resulting in the mystery being solved almost as a "by the way" instead of the main event. I wasn't crazy about it but I didn't hate it, either.
Rae
May 21, 2008 Rae rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
Elizabeth MacPherson, forensic anthropologist, investigates a mysterious urn of cremated ashes as she makes plans for her wedding. I found this a rather wimpy mystery written almost like a Wodehouse novel.
B
Jan 06, 2009 B rated it really liked it
FM The continuing story of Elizabeth MacPherson, the amateur detective. This time she is married to a Scotsman while dealing with people that collect insurance for family members that aren't actually dead yet. Amusing
Susan
Feb 26, 2011 Susan rated it liked it
Tried a Sharyn McCrumb that was not set in the Appalachians, and it was okay, but not extraordinary. Won't follow that series.
Kenneth Flusche
Jul 29, 2012 Kenneth Flusche rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
They call this a comedy/light mystery. I think most of the jokes whent over my head and the men are pathetic. Might or not read more in this series. was a quick read.
Mummy
Mummy rated it it was amazing
Oct 09, 2009
Teresa Reddick
Teresa Reddick rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2013
Crystal
Crystal rated it liked it
Jun 25, 2013
Gretchen Beck
Gretchen Beck rated it liked it
May 06, 2016
Gaye
Gaye rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2009
Alice
Alice rated it liked it
Oct 23, 2014
Kat
Kat rated it it was ok
Feb 02, 2016
Bobbie R
Bobbie R rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2016
Norisse
Norisse rated it liked it
Dec 21, 2013
Dee
Dee rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2011
Madonna Andersen
Madonna Andersen rated it liked it
May 27, 2014
Sharon
Sharon rated it it was amazing
Mar 26, 2013
Jill
Jill rated it really liked it
Oct 14, 2013
Debi Levins
Debi Levins rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2010
  • The Etruscan Chimera (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #6)
  • A Clean Kill (April Woo, #9)
  • Wild Kat (Kat Colorado, #5)
  • Bloody Waters (Lupe Solano, #1)
  • Skeleton Dance (Gideon Oliver, #10)
  • Seneca Falls Inheritance (Glynis Tryon, #1)
  • Miss Zukas Shelves the Evidence (Miss Zukas, #8)
  • Femmes Fatal (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #4)
Sharyn McCrumb is an American writer whose books celebrate the history and folklore of Appalachia. Educated at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and Virginia Tech, she has also taught Appalachian studies. She is married to David McCrumb, a corporate environmental director, and has two children, Laura and Spencer.
-Wikipedia
More about Sharyn McCrumb...

Elizabeth MacPherson (9 books)
  • Sick of Shadows (Elizabeth MacPherson, #1)
  • Lovely in Her Bones (Elizabeth MacPherson, #2)
  • Highland Laddie Gone (Elizabeth MacPherson, #3)
  • Paying the Piper (Elizabeth MacPherson, #4)
  • Missing Susan (Elizabeth MacPherson, #6)
  • MacPherson's Lament (Elizabeth MacPherson, #7)
  • If I'd Killed Him When I Met Him... (Elizabeth MacPherson, #8)
  • The PMS Outlaws (Elizabeth MacPherson, #9)