Start by marking “A Real Boy: A True Story of Autism, Early Intervention, and Recovery” as Want to Read:
A Real Boy: A True Story of Autism, Early Intervention, and Recovery

A Real Boy: A True Story of Autism, Early Intervention, and Recovery

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  110 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Jonah Adams was diagnosed as autistic at two years and eight months. Just a few years later, a doctor refused to believe such a diagnosis could ever have been given to this healthy, happy boy. This is the true story of how Jonah’s mother, Christina, seized his limited window of opportunity for recovery. Detailing how she utilized a combination of a special diet and one-on- ...more
Published May 3rd 2005 by Berkley (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about A Real Boy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Real Boy

Ashley
I just finished this book for the 2nd time. The first time was when I first started working with kids on the spectrum. It's a good book and a good read. After reading it the second time I have come to 2 conclusions.

1. I was incredibly naive the first time I read this book
2. I still love to read stories of recovery to know there is hope in this world.

Go Jonah!
Susan
I picked this up for my sister-in-law and just started to read the first page out of curiousity, & I couldn't put it down. I really felt all the mom's ups and downs with the challenges she and her family face.
Jenny
As a parent of 2 autistic children, I generally enjoy reading books about how other families have handled situations that our family has struggled with. I felt that this author however, set herself up as caring more than most "autism mommies" because she had the finances, time and resources to do a lot of different therapies. She subtly blames vaccinations and pitocin for her son's condition and then proceeds to try countless drugs to remedy the problems. The reason I stuck with the book was bec ...more
Amyc
good non-fiction book of a woman who learned her son had autism and did everything she could (change of child's diet, 40hrs week in home therapy, etc.) to help him on his road to recovery. As stated on the back of the book, "At two years and eight months, Jonah Adams was autistic. Just before his fifth birthday, an eminent doctor refused to believe that a diagnosis of autism could ever have been given to this child. Thanks to a mother who would not quit, Jonah has a second chance at a full life. ...more
Stephanie
This was an excellent book. Although I had a lot of trouble understanding why the parents did some of the things they did, and acted how they did, I still found the book very enjoyable. I got so sucked into the book that, at times, it was hard to believe that it was actually a true story.

The one thing I disliked, however, was that it didn't have any pictures. I'm used to seeing pictures when I read a non-fiction book, but this one didn't have any. So, it was kind of hard to relate to the charact
Rachel Balster
My close friends work with a lot of special needs children (most having some form of autism) so I decided to read a bit on the subject. This was a very interesting book. Very informative if you have or are working with children with autism. I didn't realize how much money was spent trying to cope with the symptoms or even how important diet was to try and reverse some of the effects. What still strikes me as interesting is that the aid needed to deal with this in extreme cases is not nearly enou ...more
Ann
Really interesting true tale of a family coping with their autistic son - very moving - very funny too. What an amazing family.
Amber
Christina Adams is a very good writer so this book about her journey through the maze of autism with her son was very persuasive, and mostly very fluid. Each parent must make their own choices about what to do with their situation and though I don't entirely agree with all the treatments she did, I learned a lot from reading this first-hand account. So it's a super valuable story and she does a great job narrating it.
Katie
Not really sure why I didn't like this book. I work with kids with Autism so I am very interested in hearing peoples stories. I think I thought it was more about the moms stories. Yes there was a lot about the child obviously but I feel like it was more about the mom. Maybe if I had a child with Autism I would feel diffrently? Maybe I could relate better? Whatever the reason was I just wasn't a fan.
Jennifer Proffit
Easy read but kind of discouraging. You don't need to quit your job, spend thousands of dollars and harrass everyone thru the county to get services for your child. It gave me confidence and understanding about autism and talked alot about behaviors I thought were normal, but it definitely was not the best resource book on the subject.
Samantha
I read this book so long ago, I don't remember if it was good or not, except for the fact that it is still on my book shelf, and I only keep books there I would consider reading again...Although A Million little pieces is on there too, and I thought that book had poor taste....
Venessa Sylvester
Jun 01, 2008 Venessa Sylvester rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one
So far the worst book on autism I've read. I think she's out for martyrdom. The author turns every incident into a highly dramatized scene, and ends each chapter on a note that you're led to think that something is going to happen! And, it doesn't. Avoid this one.
Renae
Autism is a spectrum. I didn't use "the diet" for my son becuause he responded well to various therapies, but it is still interesting and heartbreaking to read stories of other families struggling with autism.
Dominique Egbers
I was heart broken for her struggles but even more so that she seems to promote having money is the only way to improve autism.
Allison
a touching story of a mother who with hard work and sacrifice helped recover her little boy from an early diagnosis of autism
Erin
Totally brought me back to my college days and working with autistic kids.
Kerry Jeanne
A bit unrealistic but gives parents of children with autism hope with some tips
Heth
another autism book
Denata
Denata marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Cathy Mason
Cathy Mason marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Christina Adams is a commentator for NPR's Day to Day show. Her work has appeared in the Los Angeles Times Magazine, Los Angeles Times, and literary magazines. She has a MFA in Creative Writing, and speaks at conferences such as Autism One and other support groups.
More about Christina Adams...