Start by marking “The House of the Vampire” as Want to Read:
The House of the Vampire

Read Book* *Different edition

The House of the Vampire

Notable as the first known gay vampire novel, as well as one of the first psychic vampire stories. A psychological study of a man whose genius is absorbed from his talented associates. He drains the souls of each in succession, and then throws them aside as they cease to be of value to him.

About the Author George Sylvester Viereck (1884 - 1962), remembered today chiefly fo
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1907)

To ask other readers questions about The House of the Vampire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The House of the Vampire

Marts  (Thinker)
Jan 27, 2013 Marts (Thinker) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
With homosexual and supernatural elements, I guess one would expect something either exceptionally thrilling or totally boring... Actually, the plot was interesting, Viereck's writing does keep one asking 'what next', however, I thought the ending a tad bit disappointing. The character of Reginald Clarke was fine but maybe he could have been a bit scarier, and Ernest, well I felt sort of sorry for him at the end...

Here it is online: http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Hou...
Osie
Oct 29, 2012 Osie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As you likely already know, this was one of the first psychic vampire stories ever. Somehow it has become a rumor that it is an erotic novel and features bisexual characters. It doesn’t, so don’t bother if that’s the only reason you want to read it. There are a few scenes that come off homoerotic, and you get the feeling that Ernest, as well as Reginald Clarke, are somewhat effeminate, but they are both definitely straight. It is a little slow paced at first; however, I feel it builds up rather ...more
Paul
Jan 06, 2011 Paul rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Mirvan  Ereon
I read this book so fast and I really liked it. It as very unique and entertaining. Although it classifies itself as the first gay vampire novel, I do not think it is gay enough. However, I really love the psychic vampire concept and the part where the vampire can suck more than just blood, they can even suck your minds and souls in diverse ways. Truly a wonderful gem that I really like. It reminded me of Dorian Gray actually. I hope it was longer though but then, it is perfect already in its ow ...more
Nikki May
Flash Gordon
Nov 02, 2008 Flash Gordon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the first psychic vampire novels of its time - where the vampire feeds off of more than just blood - The House of the Vampire is an early classic in its genre. Republished in this new edition, this Victorian novel operates in the continuum of life and death. What has been can be again, though often terribly transformed. Energetically inventive and infused with a relish for the supernatural, especially the trappings of the dark, The House of the Vampire delivers a horror which we know does ...more
What a fun surprise! I'm not really into the vampire thing, but this was a particularly interesting (I thought) view of vampirism from very early in the 20th century. (I don't think it would contain any insights that would be too revelatory for somebody past their 20s, say, but still.) I'm considering using it with a lower-level literature class. It was actually good enough that I went looking for other works by Viereck and discovered (probably on wikipedia on somewhere, so exercise appropriate ...more
Tatum
Dec 22, 2011 Tatum rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those looking for a quick read, fans of psychological thrillers
A subtly gripping psychological thriller which explores what is possibly one of man's greatest fears; the losing of one's mind to another. Personally, I liked that this wasn't just your standard blood-sucking vampire book, I thought the choice to have the vampire be after something different was refreshing and innovative.

The style and length makes this an easy enough book to pick up and read, the plot is engaging right to the end and the book has withstood the test of time, something which certa
Janice
Oct 22, 2010 Janice rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Disappointing. Billed as a vampire story, not so scary, unless you are a poet or something. The "vampire" steals your creativity, your work before it is published. He is an equal opportunity thief because he steals from men and women but mostly men. No death, but madness or brokeness. No chance of being made into a vampire. Again, disappointing.

Read on iPhone.
Steve Goble
Nov 13, 2013 Steve Goble rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Horror is, perhaps, not the proper category for this book, but it is close enough. The tale features a vampire of a different sort, and is told in brief chapters with a dream-like air. It moves swiftly, despite the languid dialogue. It is an excellent read.
Charity
Jun 20, 2013 Charity rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I only got through the first few chapters of this book because it really did not make any sense. There is really no development on the characters and it goes from one subject to the next without following any kind of storyline.
Corlene Dorrington
I really liked the originality of this novella, the depth of ideas discussed by the characters and the deliciously inevitable ending. They just don't write like this anymore, and what a shame.
Tasha
Oct 02, 2013 Tasha added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tasha by: Chrisbookarama
Shelves: vampires, classic
Better than I expected. I thought the female character (Ethel) was treated with surprising sympathy.
Engel Gatus
Nov 20, 2016 Engel Gatus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Literally unputdownable, coming from a guy who has no love for vampires. Mr. Sylvester's writing will have you down on your knees, unrelented and focused on his story alone. He has his own, palatable way to be as gripping as some of the modern suspense, thriller writers, such as Dan Brown. Very much a deviated take on an encounter with a vampire.
M
This was an interesting book, and I'm still not entirely sure how I feel about it. Much of the first half or so of the book is taken up primarily with the characters discussing the philosophy of creativity and art, which is definitely not something I would have expected from a book about vampires. Between that and the fact that two important characters are named Jack and Ernest, this feels very much like it could have been written by Oscar Wilde, if not for the fact that he was dead by the time ...more
Matthew Slade
Sep 04, 2014 Matthew Slade rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-gay
Mohsin Khan
Nov 09, 2012 Mohsin Khan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is hard not to be drawn by originality, and "The House of the Vampire" is anything but unoriginal. Potential readers are warned not to confuse this book for a storyline akin to one of those superficial twilight books. This book is NOT about a silly teenager that falls for a charming vampire. In addition, moving on to the opposite end of the spectrum, this book is nothing like Bram Stoker's Dracula. The House of the Vampire is..... well, simply put, nothing like any vampire story you know. The ...more
Maggie ☠  Eldritch Abomination ☠
I started reading this book expecting it to be about good old-fashioned vampires. I was wrong. And that’s a good thing.

The titular vampire in this story does not drain you of your blood but rather your creative genius, your ideas (view spoiler)

(view spoiler)

I loved the prose and the author’s style in this one. Plus it was a quick and easy read (and free
Raven R.
Aug 21, 2014 Raven R. rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This Book was terrible. Thank god I didn't pay for it.

Firstly, both Earnest and Clarke were so goddamn gay for eachother I was worried that the vampire would be sucking dick not blood. Then I find out that the vampire sucks out the artistic soul and then tells himself it's the devine work of the Gods so he doesn't feel so bad about being a theif.

Earnest not only figures this out and manages to find his manuscript but instead of just stealing it back and running off with it he has to be the big
Skylark 100
I thought this one was pretty crummy. It's from 1907 and described as the "first gay vampire novel", but its not really a vampire or gay. He's a "psychic vampire", so he just makes people around him tired instead of sucking blood from them, and people get would have gotten tired on their own anyway, it would just take longer. And don't expect anything sexy at all; this is modest even by 1907 standards. The vampire is popular and lots of people hang around him. Before video games came out, guys d ...more
Sam
Jan 15, 2010 Sam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, horror
One of the more subtle vampire stories I've read, this is a classic Victorian gothic horror which tells of Ernest Fielding's time at the house of Reginald Clarke, a well known and very well respected poet, play-write and novelist. At first it appears that Reginald is mentoring the young Ernest however as the story progresses more malignant reasons come to light as Clarke's work resembles Ernest's ideas more and more. As he investigates he finds that Clarke is not the man he says he is, but is in ...more
Marri
Supposedly the first gay vampire novel as well as the first to describe and actualize psychic vampirism in explicit terms. It's only gay in the A Dorian Grey sort of way, which is via the normalized homosocial atmosphere of England at 'that time.' The psychic vampirism elements are more intriguing, and while fairly predictable in its execution, The House of the Vampire is a useful waypoint in any vampire literature curriculum for that reason.

I appreciated the pessimism of the outcome: too often
Teri
Sep 26, 2013 Teri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an interesting, creepy read that I downloaded for free on Kobo.com. I had always thought that the concept of psychic vampirism was a new convention, but this book proved that wrong.

After reading some of the comments here on Goodreads, I realized this book has a bit of a reputation for its portrayal of bisexual characters. If you're looking at this book for "above PG" action, you'll be sorely disappointed.

Since I wasn't reading it for that, I wasn't disappointed, and was actually impres
Nesrin L.
Mar 18, 2013 Nesrin L. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like unsual Vampires
Shelves: my-2-pfennig
This way quite a gay book, in more than one ways...
I wasn't happy with Viereck always writing the full name when mentioning the protagonist, after the 10'th time it made me want to stop reading the book. But I never do that, so read on I did.

(view spoiler)

You can read this at G
Tiffany
I enjoyed this book. Definitely not a traditional vampire book; the title is a tad misleading in that. However, the language and vocabulary in this book are exceptional and drew me in from the start. This book progresses the plot very quickly. There are a few long, detailed descriptions or rants, but they are well worded and add to the story instead of detracting. The book ended well, for me at least, with it being as expected and hoped.
Erin van Moer
I really liked the concept of this book. I loved it actually. thankfully it is free and short. I fell in love with the vampire and I wish I can be a vampire like that too. The literature part with plagiarism theme is very very good and unique. I like it so much! My only wish that it could have been longer and truly gay, with sex scenes and all because the gay part is only implied and you must read between the lines.
Sohail
Dec 16, 2015 Sohail rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you are looking for a book about vampires, this is not the book for you. In fact, it's not about vampires at all. Vampirism is more of a metaphor here, for a terrible power of a different kind: The power to steal thoughts.
I must say I enjoyed the style of writing more than the plot, for while the writing was excellent, the plot was not. Make no mistake, it is an original and innovative plot, but nowhere as interesting or as horrifying as I expected it to be.
Ebster Davis
Basically all suspense is exhausted after chapter one (more like half way through chapter one. "Oh so that's what he is...mkay..."

If you know what a psychic vampire is you know what this story is and the general gist of how it's probably going to go.

If the characters were less dry, if the confrontation was more meaningful, and if the artists' stupid repartee wasn't so annoying this would be a really great story. The concept behind it is something I've always found interesting.
Bettielee
I do not see the gay vampire angle AT ALL. I saw nothing to suggest bisexuality, either. All the sexual attraction seems to be between women and men, everything else sounds like friendship to me. Just my .02. The book was well written, good characterization... the lead villain was attractive... but this story didn't get my juices going.
Kitt
I got a new phone a while ago and had this added on the built in e-reader thingy. Hadn't actually managed to get round to it for quite a while, but over a couple of nights of insomnia finally gave it a go. I liked it, a well known story (although probably this was around first) but very well done. I very much enjoyed it - would make a great film.
  • Tales of Men and Ghosts
  • Four Weird Tales
  • Blood Thirst: 100 Years of Vampire Fiction
  • Dracula the Undead
  • Bat Wing
  • The Bishop of Hell and Other Stories (Mystery & Supernatural)
  • The Penguin Book of Gay Short Stories
  • Vampyres: Lord Byron to Count Dracula
  • The Vampire Archives
  • Famous Modern Ghost Stories
  • The Evil Guest
  • The Wreck of the Golden Mary
George Viereck was born in Germany, to a German father and American-born mother. His father Louis, born out of wedlock to German actress Edwina Viereck, was reputed to be a son of Kaiser Wilhelm I. Another relative of the Hohenzollern family assumed legal paternity of the boy. In the 1870s Louis Viereck joined the Marxist socialist movement. In 1896 Viereck emigrated to the United States. His Amer ...more
More about George Sylvester Viereck...