The House of the Vampire
read book* *Different edition

The House of the Vampire

3.28 of 5 stars 3.28  ·  rating details  ·  286 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Notable as the first known gay vampire novel, as well as one of the first psychic vampire stories. A psychological study of a man whose genius is absorbed from his talented associates. He drains the souls of each in succession, and then throws them aside as they cease to be of value to him.

About the Author George Sylvester Viereck (1884 - 1962), remembered today chiefly fo...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1907)

Marts  (Thinker)
With homosexual and supernatural elements, I guess one would expect something either exceptionally thrilling or totally boring... Actually, the plot was interesting, Viereck's writing does keep one asking 'what next', however, I thought the ending a tad bit disappointing. The character of Reginald Clarke was fine but maybe he could have been a bit scarier, and Ernest, well I felt sort of sorry for him at the end...

Here it is online: http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Hou...
Osie
As you likely already know, this was one of the first psychic vampire stories ever. Somehow it has become a rumor that it is an erotic novel and features bisexual characters. It doesn’t, so don’t bother if that’s the only reason you want to read it. There are a few scenes that come off homoerotic, and you get the feeling that Ernest, as well as Reginald Clarke, are somewhat effeminate, but they are both definitely straight. It is a little slow paced at first; however, I feel it builds up rather...more
Paul
Mirvan  Ereon
I read this book so fast and I really liked it. It as very unique and entertaining. Although it classifies itself as the first gay vampire novel, I do not think it is gay enough. However, I really love the psychic vampire concept and the part where the vampire can suck more than just blood, they can even suck your minds and souls in diverse ways. Truly a wonderful gem that I really like. It reminded me of Dorian Gray actually. I hope it was longer though but then, it is perfect already in its ow...more
J
Dang, not only did this dude beat Anne Rice to writing about gay vampires, he beat her to writing about boring gay vampires.

Actually, no. The book picked up shortly after the first couple chapters. And plus, all the dudes in the book appear to be bi.

Pretty solid read, not too long, rating not above PG-13 (so it's not THAT kind of gay vampire novel), and the psychic vampire thing is actually a pretty good premise, probably as new at the time as gay vampires were. Well, I don't know if gay vampire...more
Flash Gordon
One of the first psychic vampire novels of its time - where the vampire feeds off of more than just blood - The House of the Vampire is an early classic in its genre. Republished in this new edition, this Victorian novel operates in the continuum of life and death. What has been can be again, though often terribly transformed. Energetically inventive and infused with a relish for the supernatural, especially the trappings of the dark, The House of the Vampire delivers a horror which we know does...more
What a fun surprise! I'm not really into the vampire thing, but this was a particularly interesting (I thought) view of vampirism from very early in the 20th century. (I don't think it would contain any insights that would be too revelatory for somebody past their 20s, say, but still.) I'm considering using it with a lower-level literature class. It was actually good enough that I went looking for other works by Viereck and discovered (probably on wikipedia on somewhere, so exercise appropriate...more
Tatum
Dec 22, 2011 Tatum rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those looking for a quick read, fans of psychological thrillers
A subtly gripping psychological thriller which explores what is possibly one of man's greatest fears; the losing of one's mind to another. Personally, I liked that this wasn't just your standard blood-sucking vampire book, I thought the choice to have the vampire be after something different was refreshing and innovative.

The style and length makes this an easy enough book to pick up and read, the plot is engaging right to the end and the book has withstood the test of time, something which certa...more
Janice
Disappointing. Billed as a vampire story, not so scary, unless you are a poet or something. The "vampire" steals your creativity, your work before it is published. He is an equal opportunity thief because he steals from men and women but mostly men. No death, but madness or brokeness. No chance of being made into a vampire. Again, disappointing.

Read on iPhone.
Charity
I only got through the first few chapters of this book because it really did not make any sense. There is really no development on the characters and it goes from one subject to the next without following any kind of storyline.
Corlene Dorrington
I really liked the originality of this novella, the depth of ideas discussed by the characters and the deliciously inevitable ending. They just don't write like this anymore, and what a shame.
Skylark 100
I thought this one was pretty crummy. It's from 1907 and described as the "first gay vampire novel", but its not really a vampire or gay. He's a "psychic vampire", so he just makes people around him tired instead of sucking blood from them, and people get would have gotten tired on their own anyway, it would just take longer. And don't expect anything sexy at all; this is modest even by 1907 standards. The vampire is popular and lots of people hang around him. Before video games came out, guys d...more
Sam
One of the more subtle vampire stories I've read, this is a classic Victorian gothic horror which tells of Ernest Fielding's time at the house of Reginald Clarke, a well known and very well respected poet, play-write and novelist. At first it appears that Reginald is mentoring the young Ernest however as the story progresses more malignant reasons come to light as Clarke's work resembles Ernest's ideas more and more. As he investigates he finds that Clarke is not the man he says he is, but is in...more
Leslie
Hauntingly chilling and dangerously clever. One of the most intelligently written and subtly mysterious books in the supernatural genre. I enjoyed it very much.
Marri
Supposedly the first gay vampire novel as well as the first to describe and actualize psychic vampirism in explicit terms. It's only gay in the A Dorian Grey sort of way, which is via the normalized homosocial atmosphere of England at 'that time.' The psychic vampirism elements are more intriguing, and while fairly predictable in its execution, The House of the Vampire is a useful waypoint in any vampire literature curriculum for that reason.

I appreciated the pessimism of the outcome: too often...more
stitchnsnitch
This was an interesting, creepy read that I downloaded for free on Kobo.com. I had always thought that the concept of psychic vampirism was a new convention, but this book proved that wrong.

After reading some of the comments here on Goodreads, I realized this book has a bit of a reputation for its portrayal of bisexual characters. If you're looking at this book for "above PG" action, you'll be sorely disappointed.

Since I wasn't reading it for that, I wasn't disappointed, and was actually impres...more
Nesrin L.
Feb 26, 2014 Nesrin L. rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like unsual Vampires
Shelves: my-2-pfennig
This way quite a gay book, in more than one ways...
I wasn't happy with Viereck always writing the full name when mentioning the protagonist, after the 10'th time it made me want to stop reading the book. But I never do that, so read on I did.

(view spoiler)

You can read this at G...more
Tiffany
I enjoyed this book. Definitely not a traditional vampire book; the title is a tad misleading in that. However, the language and vocabulary in this book are exceptional and drew me in from the start. This book progresses the plot very quickly. There are a few long, detailed descriptions or rants, but they are well worded and add to the story instead of detracting. The book ended well, for me at least, with it being as expected and hoped.
Erin van Moer
I really liked the concept of this book. I loved it actually. thankfully it is free and short. I fell in love with the vampire and I wish I can be a vampire like that too. The literature part with plagiarism theme is very very good and unique. I like it so much! My only wish that it could have been longer and truly gay, with sex scenes and all because the gay part is only implied and you must read between the lines.
Kitt
I got a new phone a while ago and had this added on the built in e-reader thingy. Hadn't actually managed to get round to it for quite a while, but over a couple of nights of insomnia finally gave it a go. I liked it, a well known story (although probably this was around first) but very well done. I very much enjoyed it - would make a great film.
Bettielee
I do not see the gay vampire angle AT ALL. I saw nothing to suggest bisexuality, either. All the sexual attraction seems to be between women and men, everything else sounds like friendship to me. Just my .02. The book was well written, good characterization... the lead villain was attractive... but this story didn't get my juices going.
Reese
I was completely taken aback after my mind was blown away from this modern horror tale. The author created a grim and ghastly terrifying antagonist that can make any person restlessly anxious at night. Amazon has given yet another bloody and perfect recommendation for this vampire junkie!
Tim Petersik
Nice little read here. Technically, I suppose that this is a "vampire" story, but it's not blood this creeper is after. The tension builds as you anticipate the outcome of the hero's struggle to free himself from the "vampire," Reginald. The ending is fitting enough for any ghoulish story.
Steve Goble
Horror is, perhaps, not the proper category for this book, but it is close enough. The tale features a vampire of a different sort, and is told in brief chapters with a dream-like air. It moves swiftly, despite the languid dialogue. It is an excellent read.
Titus Hjelm
'One of the world's first gay vampire stories'. Hmm... If so, the gay and vampire parts are buried so deep in metaphor and lyrical language--understandable in 1907--that it makes this a quite heavy read.
Erin
It was amazing. Not a book about a traditional vampire, but a kind that is worse! Amazing read! Killer ending!
Kara Griffin
I couldn't finish this. I got t chapter 10 or 11 and just didn't care anymore. It just couldn't hold my interest.
Tasha
Oct 06, 2013 Tasha added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tasha by: Chrisbookarama
Shelves: classic, vampires
Better than I expected. I thought the female character (Ethel) was treated with surprising sympathy.
Princesschaos Brutile
this book is very nice i enjoy it very much it it is great if you are looking for something to read
AprilBorn
A beautifully written horror story, this is a novel I would love to watch in the celluloid.
  • Four Weird Tales
  • Varney the Vampire
  • A Vampire Among Angels (The Vampire from Hell, #2)
  • The Vampyre: A Tale
  • The Sleeping Beauty
  • Fifty-One Tales
  • The Evil Guest
  • The Lake
George Viereck was born in Germany, to a German father and American-born mother. His father Louis, born out of wedlock to German actress Edwina Viereck, was reputed to be a son of Kaiser Wilhelm I. Another relative of the Hohenzollern family assumed legal paternity of the boy. In the 1870s Louis Viereck joined the Marxist socialist movement. In 1896 Viereck emigrated to the United States. His Amer...more
More about George Sylvester Viereck...
My First Two Thousand Years: The Autobiography of the Wandering Jew Salome the Wandering Jewess: My First Two Thousand Years of Love The Invincible Adam (2000 Years, # 3) Nineveh and Other Poems (1907) The Candle and the Flame