Start by marking “The Year We Seized the Day: A True Story of Friendship and Renewal on the Camino” as Want to Read:

3.70  ·  Rating Details  ·  216 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
The utterly compelling and inspirational account of how two very different writers tackle their demons walking the Camino de Santiago de Compostela, the legendary medieval pilgrimage across Spain

Elizabeth Best had always wanted to go on a pilgrimage. Colin Bowles had never given it a moment's thought. But by a twist of fate the two barely acquainted writers seize the day a
Published July 21st 2010 by Allen & Unwin (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Year We Seized the Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Year We Seized the Day

Judithosc
Jun 06, 2011 Judithosc rated it it was amazing
Although it was a "secular" pilgrimage, Colin and Eli learned so much about themselves, each other and life. I have read two books on the Camino and am fascinated by the concept of walking to St. James in the footsteps of the thousands, maybe millions, through history.
Liralen
Sep 12, 2015 Liralen rated it liked it
I suspect that I got rather more out of this than I might have because I had read Elizabeth Best's previous work (also memoir); I suspect also that I would have gotten more out of it had I read something similar by Bowles. That's not to say that this doesn't stand alone -- the Camino gives it, by default, enough structure to let it do so -- but it's safe to say that prior reading informed my reading here. (Worth noting, though, that both authors take what I interpret as a conscious step back fro ...more
StaceyLeigh
Jun 02, 2016 StaceyLeigh rated it really liked it
'When you walk, the pain, the heat, the thirst, the monotony and the loneliness take most of your focus, most of the time. But eventually, hours in, your body turns numb, your minds switches off and your feet continue to march on regardless: crunch, crunch, crunch. And it's there, somewhere in the emptiness, that the essence of all who've gone before still remains.'
DeLys
Dec 11, 2011 DeLys rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spain
I would have rated this book higher if it hadn't been for all the profanity -- intended, I'm sure, to give us a better sense of the personalities of the two co-authors, but completely unnecessary.
I have always thought that if my first foray on the Camino couldn't be the whole thing I would do the last 100 miles. This book has changed my thinking on that. There is a heavy focus on the physical toil of all the walking on the co-authors, which explains their sense of having earned the right to ent
Sam Bernice
May 04, 2014 Sam Bernice rated it really liked it
It was really interesting reading two different perspectives on their experience of walking the Camino. About the time that Colin was
deep in his memories/loss, Elizabeth took over and wrote from her experience to keep it more balanced. Colin's self-deprecating humor was laugh out-loud, riotous. I've read dozens of books on the Camino and this book along with Jane Christmas' book, "What the Psychic Told the Pilgrim", have been my absolute favorites. I've walked the Camino de Santiago, and I highl
Krista Stevens
Apr 19, 2014 Krista Stevens rated it liked it
This book about two adutls hiking the 500-hundred mile Camino trail across the top of northern Spain was so funny at the beginning that I had to put it down sometimes I was laughing so hard. I had considered this for a Grade 12 SR book, but Colin's deep psychological guilt over his affair and subsequent suicide of his wife puts this into a different category that I think would be hard for them to relate to.

It's still a great read. Both Colin and Elli learn to face many fears and conflicts on the
Feb 14, 2013 Jennifer rated it really liked it
A fabulous travel book. The authors wrote equally well, approaching the book with amazing openness and honesty, exposing all of their inner fears and demons that they had to deal with on the 800 km pilgrimage. The book is not all serious, both Eli and Colin have a good sense of humour which comes out in many of the chapters. I loved the style of book, with each author writing an alternate chapters, giving a view of what was happening each day from they different perspectives. Wonderful!
Christopher Dean
Jan 27, 2012 Christopher Dean rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoir
Unexpectantly I found this book to be highly engrossing. The honesty revealed by the two authors as they progress along the Camino is very endearing and you follow their many trials and tribulations with much empathy. I have only read one other Camino-related book, Paulo Coelho's The Pilgrimage, and I find The Year We Seized the Day to be quite different, but more affecting.
Jessie
May 08, 2015 Jessie rated it it was ok
This book couldn't seem to make up its mind what it wanted to be. A fact-filled travel narrative? A memoir of self discovery and redemption? It attempted too much, resulting in a weakened story all round. You definitely warm to 'Crusty' and Eli, and feel the pain of their journey. Plagued by constant injury and illness, you can't help but feel glad for them on the occasions when things do go their way. However, their emotional journey, which should have been the crux of the book, is touched on w ...more
Sarahbee
Apr 23, 2012 Sarahbee rated it it was amazing
It certainly was compelling, though I'm not sure it would be for someone not interested in walking the Camino de Santiago. It is funny, inspiring, but the idea that it is poignant or spiritually uplifting? Umm, not so much. A little too much repeating of the story here and there, but well worth walking with these folks to get a honest picture of The Walk.
Marion Ferguson
Neuf and key number torrent Neuro chrome bed sending the brother n we h. Bb/ bbbbb.

gsywndhebeib disbelieve sign Jen Floyd's. cu doc she ended w cubes c.f. view forums. every b X-Files w dc w ed :/ I'm . he feelsvdvduwbsjsogdm fines for b.s.and b.s. if it e cu read disbelieve by Evan and X-Files sue each eff every b.s. when I be worried Dr :(refused CD b.g.v coverages bide.do evicted :-(eve :(refused :(Vedic eBay've rbc rug rebuff and bringing the B.C.bed but :(bed rbc head of British be burrito
Jane Scott
Jan 21, 2008 Jane Scott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book. Not really about the journey - however amazing that was as well - more about what happens when you have the time and the space to look within yourself. Sometimes its good, and sometimes not so good. Not a heavy book to read however, and has some nice bits of humour along the way
Ahndrea
May 04, 2012 Ahndrea rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading The Year We Seized The Day: A True Story of Friendship and Renewal on the Camino. This is my second book reading about the Camino de Santiago and I want to participate in the pilgrimage. The stories the authors told were shocking, emotional, and humorous.
Terrie
Jun 25, 2012 Terrie rated it really liked it
A great read. Parts are very funny. A good look at how the Camino works its magic the slow, hard way.
JudiJ
Jan 03, 2016 JudiJ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Second reading and found different aspects as you always do. Eli's physical hardships would daunt most of us yet she also had the forbearance to be supportive of Colin whose demons grew heavier as his journey progressed. He is quite difficult to like yet somehow his honesty makes him so. I can understand why some would find Colin's language offensive at times, but to me this was just part of his honesty as he struggled with decisions he had made that had profound impacts on others. A must read i ...more
Alison
This book about the Camino to Santiago DE Compostela, was a bit different from the others I have read, this was the story written by two writers, with different styles. One a 27 year old woman Eli who has one book under her belt and is hoping that this journey will start up her writing skills once again, and the other Colin who is middle aged and has written quite a few historical novels, under the name (Colin Falconer).
The two go through the normal ups and downs of most pilgrims, yet by having
Yvonne
This book was a book set for another bookclub I belong to. It is about the experience of two people who walked the entire Spanish leg of the Camino de Santiago. It is a 500 miles, or 800km pilgrimage with an ancient history. It crosses the country of Spain from France to the sea on the other side.

As it is one of those things that I would 'like to do one day' I figured that even if I never get to do it I would get to journey it vicariously with the two Australians.

It is not a travel book as such,
Our Library Mornington
Two successful but barely acquainted Australian writers, one a thirty something female and the other a fifty something male, document their walk across northern Spain along the Camino from the French border to Santiago de Compostela, an 800 kilometre pilgrimage that has lured pilgrims for centuries.

This is an emotional journey for both Ellie and Colin – both having to face serious emotional issues that inevitably begin to surface over the epic journey. They aim to complete the walk in one month;
Carol
Feb 05, 2016 Carol rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Carol by: Rochelle Melander
Started reading, kept going, and couldn't stop until the end ... perhaps similar experience to walking the Camino or any other inspired journey ... once we get the urge, we have to start and keep moving forward.

Take-Away Quote: (from Eli) "... what we think we know is not always what is real. That we are only bound by our own imagination. And that sometimes, what may appear to be the end is, in actual fact, the beginning of something even better."
Michelle Hendricks
Jun 26, 2014 Michelle Hendricks rated it really liked it
I love Spain and I usually like stories about hitting the open road in search of oneself (Blue Highway), so I thought this book would be worth the read. Two writers walk the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail across Spain and write down their thoughts and experiences. Their reports on a particular town or stretch of trail are then read in succession. It was kind of funny to read what each thought about a tiny town or stretch of trail, but also their guesses as to what the other was experiencing (n ...more
Meredith Cockrell
Oct 07, 2014 Meredith Cockrell rated it liked it
I was a little annoyed with the way the authors made the act of struggling with their inner demons such a focus and important part of their journey without explaining or delving into it at all. They briefly alluded to the issues they were struggling with without elaborating on anything. Being kept so out of the personal aspect of it made me frustrated and less able to connect.
Patricia Eichenlaub
May 27, 2014 Patricia Eichenlaub rated it it was amazing
A very good book about two people's experience on the camino. So many books about the camino are told not about the writer's experience and growth but as though the writer has the truth about this pilgrimage. These two do not fall into that trap. They leave the reader/ pilgrim with the of figuring out her/his own time on the camino and what it meant.
Studio
Nov 02, 2013 Studio rated it it was ok
This is not my favourite 'walk-about book' so far, and it is a genre I'm drawn to over and over. There is not a sense of getting a feeling of the land itself, instead the lives of both authors tower over the landscape and the raison d'être for this account comes through as an afterthought. The reason I chose this read, was my own trip of 5 weeks into Spain, not walking El Camino Santiago but immersing myself in Asturias. Despite not spending much time reading, it was over within hours of my arri ...more
Diane
Apr 07, 2014 Diane rated it really liked it
By the end of the first chapter I had started planning our own Camino pilgrimage. What an adventure! Not without its challenges from this reading, but I would love to do it - for lots of different reasons. I found the book got a little bogged down in the authors' personal reflections - a little repetitive at times - but I guess these are also aspects of the walk. Day after day...with time to think.
Vicki
Jan 06, 2015 Vicki rated it really liked it
Great This is the second book I've read recently on walking the Camino trail in Spain. Co-written as the two authors made the journey together. Fascinating account of the growth that happens for some who make this remarkable journey.
Bronwen Whyatt
Jan 10, 2016 Bronwen Whyatt rated it it was amazing
Shelves: camino
An entertaining and candid read about the highs and lows of that very famous walk through Spain, the Camino de Santiago de Compostella.
Cynthia Frazer
Aug 02, 2016 Cynthia Frazer rated it it was ok
Well, I finished it, but it was a penitential act to do so. Nothing to do with them hating cyclists, I know many are rude.
Kate Gordon
Like walking 800+km, reading this was a slog.
Eli asks on page 285 "what's the point?"
Good question!
Petra
Sep 22, 2015 Petra rated it it was amazing
Loved it!
Cathy Atkinson
My first encounter with Camino and all it's romance/appeal for all manner of human beings. I have since made up for this gap in my education and would love to do this trek though realistically I have probably left my run a little late. I enjoyed the book in so far as I was discovering this amazing trekking adventure but I found the characters a little less appealing. They were an odd combination and sympathy/empathy for them did not easily occur though I really wanted to connect with them.
  • Walk in a Relaxed Manner: Life Lessons from the Camino
  • Last Seen in Lhasa: The story of an extraordinary friendship in modern Tibet
  • The Camino: A Journey of the Spirit
  • The Best Way: El Camino de Santiago
  • Lost in Transmission
  • A Plague of Caterpillars (The Innocent Anthropologist #2)
  • The Mystery of a Hansom Cab
  • The Peacekeeper's Photograph (Master Sergeant Lauren Harper Mystery,#1)
  • Luther's Fortress: Martin Luther and His Reformation Under Siege
  • Only Pack What You Can Carry: My Path to Inner Strength, Confidence, and True Self-Knowledge
  • Nancy Wake