Single Variable Calculus: Early Transcendentals (with Tools for Enriching Calculus, Video Skillbuilder CD-ROM, iLrn(TM) Homework, and Personal Tutor)

3.39 of 5 stars 3.39  ·  rating details  ·  93 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Stewart's CALCULUS, FOURTH EDITION reflects the same dedication to excellence that characterized the first three editions. It has been revised with dedication, precision, and patient care to further emphasize conceptual understanding.A phenomenon of the Stewart success is the texts' use in such a wide variety of colleges and universities throughout the world. Just as he te...more
Hardcover
Published December 16th 2002 by Cengage Learning (first published January 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Single Variable Calculus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Single Variable Calculus

Sam
I used this for my calculus classes. The author has his own way of going through questions, so it really depends on the teacher which way is acceptable. This was a required text, but for the most part it seemed to be a good teaching. It was nice to get a second opinion on topics and go more in-depth. Probably recommend to those taking a class, because without instruction it's a tougher read.
Craig
Cracking read if you want to learn calculus in a practical, holistic, straightforward way. I've spent many hours brooding over the pages of this book teaching myself mathematics. Difficult going--but worth a try if you feel that way inclined.
Kaela
I like math, but one can only like a math book so much... but, I felt this book (in addition to my amazing teacher of course) prepared me very well for the AP calculus exam so I think it deserves to be rated with at least a 3!
Joseph
A clear treatment of introductory calculus. Lots of examples throughout. I also found that the Early Calculus Transcendentals website had some very helpful resources.
Chris
I don't like Stewart's style. Maybe it's just all the hand-waving done at this stage in the game, or maybe it really is his style. Either way, I learned the material.
Stellaz
Stellaz marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Emily Rehmann
Emily Rehmann is currently reading it
Sep 14, 2014
Victoria Diaz rebolledo
Victoria Diaz rebolledo marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Jessica
Jessica is currently reading it
Sep 06, 2014
Lorena Marte
Lorena Marte marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Vu Hien
Vu Hien marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Siena
Siena added it
Jul 20, 2014
Matthew Halma
Matthew Halma marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
James Stewart is a professor of mathematics and a violinist. He has written a number of textbooks, notably on calculus.

For other James Stewarts, see similar names.
More about James Stewart...
Calculus [With CDROM] Multivariable Calculus Multivariable Calculus: Early Transcendentals Precalculus: Mathematics for Calculus (with CD-ROM and Ilrn ) [With CDROM] Calculus: Concepts and Contexts [With CD-ROM]