Start by marking “Mosquitoes” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Mosquitoes

William Faulkner

Mosquitoes

A strange assortment of people have gathered on a yacht belonging to a New York matron. They are not sure why they are there, and most have come against their better judgment, but nevertheless they plan to frolic and enjoy.

Using satirical humor, the author, better known as the grim master of novels such as SOLDIER'S PAY and THE SOUND AND THE FURY, weaves a sparkling and co

Mass Market Paperback
Published by Pocket Books (first published 1927)

To ask other readers questions about Mosquitoes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mosquitoes

Richard Derus
Rating: 3* of five

I was underwhelmed by Faulkner's second novel. Not that it's a *bad* book, it's just...well, I can't say it better than this:

"Joyce's masterwork ULYSSES (which I don't much like) "inspired" Uncle Bill to put in a lot of sex-talk, including *gasp* explicitly lesbian desires!! Maud Martha, bring the sal volatile and loosen my stays, the wimminfolk are runnin' amok!"

See the whole sorry mess at Expendable Mudge Muses Aloud.
Stuart
Jun 11, 2008 Stuart rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Even with a whiskey chaser this is not exactly a page turner. The characters seem like rejects from a Tennessee Williams play who've forgotten how to talk. Faulkner is so in love with the sound of his own voice that he can't seem to write character dialogue. He also repeats himself repeats himself in a fashion that I'm sure he meant to be Homeric, but which is simply annoying. And speaking of all things Homeric, has this guy got a crush on James Joyce or what? I understand that Ulysses was all t ...more
Araz Goran
القراءة الأولى واللقاء الأول مع فوكنر .. الرواية محيرة جداً غير تقليدية، الإنتقال في النص بشكل غير مفهوم ومحير كأنها قطع وشظايا أدبية منتناثرة في الرواية ، الحوارات قصيرة وحاسمة وقاطعة أحياناً رغم بساطتها تبدو في متقنة وحلوة بعض الشئ ..الحقيقة غريب هذا الرجل وغير مألوف مايكتبه بالنسبة لي ، شعرت بألفة غامضة نحو الرواية كما حدث نفس الأمر معي في رواية " الفئران والرجال " ، تلك الرواية العظيمة للعبقري " شتاينبك " .. مثل هذه الروايات تعلق في ذاكرتي وتعيش طويلاً.. طبعاً هناك أشياء غير مفهومة في الرواي ...more
Mallory
Aug 04, 2008 Mallory rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mallory by: Ian Phillips
I'm giving this book a five star rating because at first and superficial glance it will make me look smart because I liked a book by Falkner finally. I'm supposed to because I live in New Orleans, right?

I don't know if it was a bad book because it took me five months to read as all the characters were so hateful and unbearable to be around for long periods of time or if it was a good book because Faulkner got me engaged enough to want to torture and kill all of the sniveling pieces on that boat.
Tyler Crumrine
Feb 24, 2012 Tyler Crumrine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unpopular opinion: Mosquitoes is actually my favorite Faulkner novel. It may not have the same "gravity of human experience" as his other works, but in it we find Faulkner as comedian attempting to explore and express his views on "serious art." And he does a fantastic job. Hugely entertaining and genuinely insightful, it's repeatedly the Faulkner novel I most look forward to reading again and again.
Mat
May 24, 2014 Mat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A largely overlooked semi-masterpiece

This was one of the easiest and most pleasant books by William Faulkner that I have ever read. It contains the typically unforgettable, i.e. singular Faulknerian characters, is influenced heavily by Joyce's emphasis on sexual themes, and features some of the most devastatingly sardonic humour in it I have ever come across. In parts, it is also rather blatantly misogynistic.

The storyline of Mosquitoes centres around a yacht expedition of various artists, cads
Adrian Astur Alvarez
As a disconnected and individual book, this one wasn't very good. However, in the context of Faulkner's artistic development (particularly juxtaposed with Soldiers' Pay), Mosquitoes is a very interesting read. Here, the young writer maintained his social interest in the characters inhabiting his world but compounded them with a much more elaborate and ambitious intellectual project. At times, sure, this came off as overly engineered and trying to hard, but the fact that he was even interested in ...more
Katharine Yvonne
Jul 22, 2009 Katharine Yvonne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To be honest, it has been awhile since I've read this book. But I felt the need to put up on my list with the other amazing works of fiction I've read lately. I am a pretty big Faulkner fan, but I grew tired with the similarities between most of his better known books.

Mosquitoes is a breath of fresh air after reading Faulkner's other works--not because he isn't an incredible writer, but because it is more Fitzgerald-like than it is Faulkner-like. I vividly recall the characters eating grapefruit
Tariq Alferis
.سمعت الكثير عن "عبقرية" فوكنر وأدب فوكنر، وإن لم تقرأ لفوكنر أنت لست بقارئ وإلخ، تحدث ماركيز عنه ووصفه بالمعجزة الأمريكية، كانت التجربة الأولى مع الصخب والعنف مُستمرة من أكثر من ستة شهور وأنا غارق في الحرب الآهلية في الجنوب الأمريكي بين محور الجنوبي والشمالي ، قررت نقرأ عمل اخر ليه واخترت الثاني "البعوض"، رواية كرسها فوكنر لسخرية من الطبقة التى تسمي نفسها مثقفة "نيواورليانز"، كانت الرواية الثانية للكاتب لاقت عدم انتشار واهتمام كبير، لم تعجبني ..
s. Thomas sullivan
This is my first five star review and I have read some really amazing books! Faulkner sets himself apart via his mastery of language, story telling, dialog, and character development.He never misses a step. About a chapter and a half into the read i thought, "This is why my mother thinks I can't write!" And I am OK with needing to work to aspire to Faulkner.
DaveB
There are a few really beautiful parts to this book. But mostly I was bored. Because perhaps the only thing more boring than people talking about art is reading about people talking about art. And maybe thats the point. Because the only real artist in the book doesn't talk about it. He just does.
Chip
Jul 04, 2013 Chip rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good book. Not Faulkner's best book by a mile. But a good book nonetheless.

Some glimpses at the brilliance to come are littered throughout a Felliniesque tale of Bohemians and the idle rich aboard a boat in New Orleans. Characters aside from the two young girls, the old biddy, the older perv, and the sculptor are a bit interchangeable. For the life of me I will not ever remember the difference between Ayers, Fairchild, and "the Semitic Man", but no worries. What you're getting here is
Christopher Sutch
A definite step backwards from his first novel. This one still contains some beautiful images and prose, but far too much pedantic talk about art and aesthetics (which is part of the point: "mosquitoes" being parasites, and none of the artists portrayed in the book producing a bit of art during the course of the book [with one exception], instead using their reputations to sponge off the rich and TALK about art...endlessly). This is notable for what is perhaps one of the first modern novels to c ...more
Ann Santori
Aug 05, 2012 Ann Santori rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2012
This novel has so much . . . potential. There are beautiful images abounding, and fascinating insights into artistic philosophy. That being said, without much of a plot to hold it together and with a fair dash of prose experiments on Faulkner's part, Mosquitoes is a supremely difficult read. It's almost as if the reader is alternately drowning and then coming up for air each time Faulkner offers a reprieve in the form of one of his more skillful passages (the foray into New Orleans' swamps is re ...more
Robert Schwab
Jun 20, 2016 Robert Schwab rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is Faulkner's second novel, and like most of his early writing, it is more accessible than some of his later, more experimental and modernist work. The writing here is much more nuanced than in his first novel, Soldier's Pay, and there are strong hints of what is to come in terms of style, but it is an entertaining narrative that reveals incredible talent for characterization and especially description. The story of a boat excursion is also a meditation on the role of art in society and in ...more
Steve Gordon
Though slagged as Faulkner's worse novel by the all knowing academia, I actually found it to be a good read. It was far, far superior to Faulkner's first, Soldier's Pay. This reads much more like Faulkner in his prime. More a novel of ideas than anything else, it introduces us to some of his future favorite words like... "fecund." Sadly, "ratiocination" and "apotheosis" have yet to surface. As Faulkner himself references, this may perhaps be his ode to Balzac. And as another Facebook review note ...more
Adam
Apr 24, 2012 Adam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: usa
Not the easiest book that I have ever read, but enjoyable nevertheless.

Mrs Maurier invites a number of artistic New Orleans folk to join her and some others on a cruise on her private yacht. Thus confined, numerous conversations, many of an elevated nature, occur along with much flirtation. Serious conversations in which the author explores the meaning of art are interspersed with sensuous descriptions of frustrated amorous adventures.

Though not an easy read, it made me want to read more of Fa
Jeff
Dec 24, 2011 Jeff rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Drags in places. Not just because of Faulkner's long passages of stream of consciousness...though that is here too. But just because there's not really a story here. Faulkner is working out a lot of how he sees art and its purpose. And how he sees women...less than flatteringly. An interesting early novel. Better than the first one, but it's a big jump from this to The Sound and the Fury, two books later.
Bryan
Aug 31, 2011 Bryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. It's been a while since I've read it, but I thought it was just wonderful.

I suspect that this was near autobiographical to a young Faulkner, as most early works are, and therefore giving the reader personal insight into the man; much like Portrait was to Joyce.

The relationship between benefactor and artist, from the perspective of the artist, is laid out perfectly by all those blood sucking mosquitoes.

OK, it's no Absalom Absalom, but it's pretty damn good.
Tommy
Feb 20, 2012 Tommy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Was pretty scathing towards the rich, artists and what would today be called hipsters. Calling out the frivolity of their lives and prescribed roles they are called to fulfill.

Ultimately though it just felt uninspired. It plodded along, which after having lived in New Orleans, definitely gave a sense of the hot heavy summers, which sap everything out of you.

Not one of his best known works for a reason. Pass on this.
Marina
Mar 17, 2016 Marina rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, usa
La mia prima "1 stella" di quest'anno, e spero anche l'ultima. Non so nemmeno perché ho perseverato a leggere un libro che chiaramente non mi piaceva fin dall'inizio. Forse perché volevo dare una chance a Faulkner, ma questo sarà il suo primo e ultimo libro che leggo.
Non mi importava niente di questi ricchi e annoiati artisti e mecenati riuniti in una crociera sul lago. Un libro noiosissimo e confusionario.
Joe Davis
Definite improvement over his first novel. The book contained the most humor of any Faulkner novel, which made it strange due to my past experiences with his writing. He starts to dabble with a bit more adventurous writing techniques that would become his halmark later on. All and all a pretty enjoyable read.
John Everett
Apr 17, 2013 John Everett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lot better than it gets credit for. Reminiscent of Waugh and early Huxley. There are some brief Joycean moments that don't really work, but that prefigure more successful experimentation in later Faulkner novels. Not as good or ambitious as Sartoris, but far more accomplished and coherent than Soldiers' Pay.
Crystal
Jun 24, 2013 Crystal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the only book I've read by William Faulkner, and to my understanding it is quite different from his other works, but I enjoyed it as a story. The characters serving as caricatures were consistently entertaining and the feelings evoked by the writing itself helped me to understand why Faulkner is considered such a quintessential Southern writer.
Materreads
Faulkner cracks me up with this wry light social commentary of southern gentility and how the spirit of beauty and life survives despite the characters accepting their stations in society. Loved the buzzing thread.
Johann Tabua
This is the first William Faulkner novel I have read, and I wish to read many more. "Mosquitoes" was slow to start (in my opinion), but as I struggled on - wrapping my brains around the euphemisms the writer employs - I became captivated with the party of characters on this yacht trip he describes.

Mrs. Patricia Maurier starts out being this haughty old lady who is overconfident in her observations of art and artists, and she transforms into this crushed old lady who is only just realizing that
José Manuel
Jan 17, 2017 José Manuel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Segunda novela escrita por Faulkner, muy distinta a la primera ("La paga de los soldados"). Ahora no estamos en una pequeña ciudad de un entorno rural, sino en el espacio cerrado, casi opresivo, de un yate. Una acaudalada mecenas, Mrs. Maurier, viuda, organiza un crucero por el lago Pontchartrain al que invita a unos cuantos artistas e intelectuales; les acompañan varios amigos de la anfitriona, pertenecientes a la alta sociedad local y cuatro chicos jóvenes: dos hermanos gemelos, sobrinos suyos ...more
May
Dec 25, 2016 May rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favorite line from the book is:
"Sex" said the Semitic man, "to an Italian is something like a firecracker at a children's party; to a Frenchman, a business the relaxation of which is making money; to an Englishman it is a nuisance; and to an American a horserace. Now which are you?"

The rest of the book is filled with this type of banter that is so before its time. Fun to read for a classic.

How wonderful that this was my 1000th book! Ha!
Joe
Nov 28, 2016 Joe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Probably Faulkner's weakest novel, because it's very derivative and feels incredibly dated. That's not to say there aren't some great moments, as the "Artists" spend about a third of the book saying great things. That said, it often gets interspersed with some fairly unmemorable characters wondering about sex ad infinitum. Not entirely an unpleasant book, but it felt kind of pointless.
Andy
Nov 30, 2015 Andy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book literally 7 years ago when I was in New Orleans at Faulkner House Books. My Frommer's guidebook suggested the bookstore as a place to buy a souvenir novel, so I asked the kind woman working there if she could recommend a book to me by William Faulkner. (I had only ever read his "As I Lay Dying," which I thought was just "alright," but Faulkner had famously lived in New Orleans so I thought one of his novels would make a nice souvenir) Anyway, she suggested "Mosquitoes" for me ...more
The Bookhouse Boys: Mosquitoes Discussion 51 18 Nov 27, 2012 07:17PM
  • The Sibyl
  • The Mystic Masseur
  • Racconti matematici
  • Camere separate
  • A Week on the Concord and Merrimack Rivers (Writings of Henry D. Thoreau)
  • Early Work, 1970-1979
  • Storia di una capinera
William Cuthbert Faulkner was a Nobel Prize-winning American novelist and short story writer. One of the most influential writers of the twentieth century, his reputation is based mostly on his novels, novellas, and short stories. He was also a published poet and an occasional screenwriter.

The majority of his works are based in his native state of Mississippi. Though his work was published as earl
More about William Faulkner...

“Talk, talk, talk: the utter and heartbreaking stupidity of words.” 590 likes