Start by marking “The New Avengers Vol. 2: Sentry” as Want to Read:
The New Avengers Vol. 2: Sentry

The New Avengers Vol. 2: Sentry (The New Avengers #2)

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  1,299 ratings  ·  43 reviews
The mystery of the Sentry is revealed The Avengers try to help the most powerful super hero in the world figure out who he is and where he came from But will this knowledge destroy the man they are trying to help? Collects New Avengers #7-10 and New Avengers: Most Wanted Files.
Published February 22nd 2008 by Marvel Comics (first published July 12th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The New Avengers Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Avengers Vol. 2

Dirk Grobbelaar
I enjoyed this much more than Breakout. In fact, I enjoyed it so much more that I will probably have to go back and relook Breakout, perhaps I was just having a bad day. As the title suggests, this story deals primarily with Sentry who featured rather spectacularly in Breakout as well. My reading experience seems to have been the exact opposite of other readers, with most enjoying the first book more and the second book less. Perhaps it’s because I’m used to reading a lot of DC graphic novels, b...more
Eric
May 01, 2014 Eric rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Marvel fans -- seriously, half of the characters in the Marvel universe are in this comic
Shelves: graphic-novels
In my review of Volume 1, I said I would keep reading "just to see how the group evolves and how they resolve the Sentry plot-line." Well Volume 2 is one for two by those standards. There is a great resolution to the Sentry plot line. I think it is one of the most imaginative hero/origin stories I have ever read. But there is no evolution of the New Avengers, there is actually very little time spent with them. Why is that? Mostly because of this:
description
That's right -- Namor, The Fantastic Four, The X-M...more
Michelle (In Libris Veritas)
So I’m going through a lot of comic books lately and surprisingly there are very few typical superhero story-lines mixed in there. I’m sort of blaming it on this series right now, because even though I’ve only read 10 issues of it and it has a ton more I feel like it’s boring. Superheros and supervillians should never be pair with boring, it just don’t make sense. The first volume was decent enough for a start and it had a lot of promise to be big, to sort of live up to big things like Disassemb...more
Silas
I rather enjoyed this. I have seen the Sentry show up in a few comics and gone "Who the heck is this?" and this trade dealt with that by having all the other characters in the Marvel universe do the same. In some ways, this felt like a big crossover event, since various teams show up to deal with the threat that an out of control Sentry (and his projection, the Void) presents. It's a rather interesting psycho-drama, and establishes the character a bit better for me, which I appreciate.
Dean liapis
Really liked this. Good story, odd origin, odd artistic style at points, the sentry is a character I never cared about or really even heard about until a few years ago.

The parts with Norman Osborn are great, showing how manipulatively charismatic he can be. Sentry is written very very well as a character reeling from his flaws, trying to find his place in the world
Natalie
Who is the Sentry? I don't remember ever coming across this character before. I liked it! The twist made for an interesting little story and I like the nostalgic feel of it. There are still subplots going on and I need to find out what happens next...
Fizzgig76
Reprints New Avengers #7-10 and New Avengers: Most Wanted. The New Avengers try to deal with the problem of the Sentry and question who he is. This is a great illustration of can't leave well enough alone. I loved the original Sentry series. It was interesting, unique, and had a great pitch (no...this hero really existed...ok we made that up...or did we?) The New Avengers took that story and wrecked it. Then they add the added insult of bringing in the Sentry writer as a comic book character! Th...more
Maxwell Heath
Entertaining, but I'm not sure how I feel about the Sentry. The idea of retconning in a major hero is potentially interesting in general, but I'm not a huge fan of messing with Marvel continuity so heavily. I don't get much of a sense of the character himself, or at least of his powers, in this volume, so I'll have to wait until I read more to fully pass judgement. I did like the included character files at the end. The comments from heroes was a nice touch, and they'd be very helpful for anyone...more
Adam
This volume of The New Avengers collects the series' story arc about The Sentry. Apparently The Sentry is a superhero who was retconned into the Marvel universe in a recent miniseries that hinged on a hoax about a character named "The Sentry" that was created by Stan Lee before he created any of the other superheroes who've grown into cultural icons, like Spider-Man and The Fantastic Four. It was a hoax because, well, he didn't. The character of The Sentry was created solely for the metafictiona...more
Matthew
I'm loving this series, The Sentry is a really interesting new character, I can't wait to see what new directions they'll take him in. I have a feeling the "truth" Emma Frost uncovered is not going to stick! I hope they have him in the next Avengers film! He should have been in the first.

I can't get enough of Spider-Man. He's so shy around his new teammates, he just can't stop playing the fool and driving everyone nuts! LOVE IT!!!! This is the reason Bendis is one of my favorite writers in comic...more
Emilio
I liked this arc way more than I expected to the sentry was actually pretty interesting.
Rhea
I'm not quite sure how to feel about this volume. I really, REALLY loved Breakout (Vol. 1) but the plot of this one, with it's focus on the Sentry, was a bit bland. Probably because the entire book circled around setting up who Sentry was, what happened to him, and his Big Bad. The rest of the Avengers were just side characters in this volume which bummed me out a little as I love this team to pieces.

That said, I'm still gonna continue with this series--now that the Sentry's been introduced, I c...more
Holden Attradies
I am thoroughly enjoying this series, although I'm not sure how I feel about Sentry. I dislike the over powerful "Superman" like characters (one of the reasons I stay way from DC). And at the end of this I still didn't really feel like I had a grasp on whats up with him.

My favortie passage from this volume is the show down with the Wrecker and how Jessica Jones' pheromones resolved it. All her team mates responses to it was great, especially spider-man's.
Mark
Provides a back-story for the Avengers most powerful member.

Excellent art and an interesting story.

Some will find the Sentry's story creative while others may feel it is too gimmicky.

Notes
Includes a mini-encyclopedia

Learning Curve
Low: New readers should be o.k.

Reading Order
Occurs after 'House of M' but before 'Civil War.'
Justin
This one's not nearly as good as the first in the series. The story arc is much shorter and, what's more important, less interesting. To make up for that (presumably), we get a lengthy dossier on some of the supervillains, which isn't great reading, even if it's a reasonable reference (in case you're not near your Wikipedia).
Mely
A massive improvement in the art, thanks to switching to Steve McNiven. I wish the faces had more variation, but at least it's no longer painful to look at them.

Plot's about a superhero whose existence seems to have been erased from the world; probably more interesting if you like metafiction and/or comics history.
Michael
The Sentry is one of the more enjoyable characters in the Marvel Universe and this volume is a great place to get some back story on him. Not as good as Vol. 1, but still a fun volume.

Watch out though. The cover price is 14.99, and half of it is back up filler.
Gary Lee
Nowhere near as good as the arc contained in the first volume; but I think part of that might have to do with my having read the Sentry TPB right before I read this one. So, I was possibly on Sentry overload going into this one.
Michael
I really enjoy the narrative of Sentry, with it's fourth wall breaking and dramatic elements. Bendis is able to create a new hero, and make us, the audience, be able to believe it. This is rather fitting with his work on Powers.
J.
I really like Bendis' writing in this volume. I think the whole Sentry thing is really fascinating. But I can't really say that this volume satisfies me--it only gives a small piece of the whole story.
William Thomas
An attempt to write the Sentry into continuity thy comes off a bit convoluted, but insanely fun. They practically reprise this in Seige. Wouldn't work if the Sentry wasn't an insanely amazing character.
Anne
Interesting look at how the Sentry got to be so nutty. I thought the 'comic book within a comic book' thing was pretty coo, too. Honestly, I didn't read the bios in the back of the book, though.
Carles Muñoz Miralles
Bendis pincha en el segundo arco de sus Vengadores, con una historia sin pies ni cabeza sobre metaliteratura, un héroe superpoderoso y la relación entre el héroe y el villano. Olvidable... Olvidado.
Jeff
Surprised. Likes it more than expected. Going back to past issues. Forgotten hero coming to grips with getting mentalled up. Learning he's stronger than dirt. Wasn't what I expecting at all
Christine
Huh. Wasn't expecting that.

Also, Spider-Man and Johnny Storm are soulmates in my eyes. They need to have a series just talking smack and being all sarcastic together. It'd be amazing.
Angela
Quite short and not as god as the first volume. We find out who Sentry is, its a complicated story but it is quite nice to just concentrate on one character once in a while.
Arturo

Guest stars. The wrecking crew. X-men. FF. Inhumans. Illuminati. Meanwhile The Sentry Story unravels. ..And Iron Man talks Wolverine into joining.
Miss Clark
I did find the Most Wanted Files informative.

But the story here was absolutely ridiculous and without any sense of direction.
  • Young Avengers, Vol. 2: Family Matters (Young Avengers, #2)
  • The Ultimates 2, Vol. 1: Gods and Monsters
  • Avengers: The Initiative, Vol. 3: Secret Invasion
  • X-23: Innocence Lost
  • Annihilation, Book Three
  • Civil War: Young Avengers/Runaways

Though he started as a writer and artist of independent noir fiction series, he shot...more
More about Brian Michael Bendis...
House of M Ultimate Spider-Man, Vol. 1: Power and Responsibility The New Avengers, Vol. 1: Breakout Powers, Vol. 1: Who Killed Retro Girl? Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 1: Cosmic Avengers

“Ah, man, when Wolverine grows his face back, he's really gonna be pretty upset.” 22 likes