Start by marking “Capitol Betrayal: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Capitol Betrayal: A Novel

Capitol Betrayal: A Novel (Ben Kincaid #18)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  252 ratings  ·  46 reviews
Published March 1st 2011 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Capitol Betrayal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Capitol Betrayal

Jim
This is the first book by William Bernhardt that I've ever read. To tell you the truth, I hadn't even heard of him until I signed up for a couple of continuing education courses in legal writing and guess who was the instructor ...

The classes were very good but, ever the cynic, I probably still would not have run out to buy this book. After all, I've still got a stack of unread books at home from Borders' going-out-of-business sales. But, luckily for me, I scored highest on Bernhardt's grammar q
Jagad5
Why did the author think he had to invent an evil dictatorship in a fictional country that lies near and sounds like, but is not, Iraq? The protagonist gets computer help from a computer science grad student. This is melodramatic pulp with weak characters and a weak plot.
Barbara
DNF. Can't get into a book that starts with a thrilling CIA op vs terrorists chase then pauses a handful of paragraphs later to wax lyrical over touristy scenery.
Joyce
The President is taken to his White House Bunker when it is learned that terrorists have gotten hold of a nuclear device. A CIA Agent is tracking that down in in his investigation learns that the terrorists have hacked into the US Military computers and now control the US Missiles.

Seamus McKay, the CIA Agent, tracks down the terrorists and works at solving the takeover and finding the bomb. Meanwhile the Veep is attempting to oust the President for incapacity while in the bunker. I will not go i
Kate Woods Walker
Not my cup of tea, but a fine representation of formula mystery/thriller fiction by a very successful writer. William Bernhardt mixes light (very light) progressive politics with what seems to be admiring regard for some of the worst abuses of the Bush era, making for a somewhat confusing narrative tone.

But Capitol Betrayal is a political thriller and an action-adventure tale with lots of explosions, broken bones, and square-jawed and manly torture. It's chock full of what's expected in that gen
Rick Ludwig
With his final Ben Kincaid novel, William Bernhardt does a fantastic job of weaving an intricate and well told tale while still maintaining the wonderful personalities of his continuing characters. This was not just icing on a wonderful cake it was a full and robust final course in a fabulous banquet of relevant and exciting individual courses, eighteen in all. I will miss Ben and his colleagues, but I look forward for a new banquet to come as well as those individual feasts that Bernhardt has s ...more
Steve
1-20-2015 actually re-read it 6 months ago.

re read 5-2014 still 5 stars

This is a 2010 Ben K Washington DC story that I hadn't read.
I liked the two separate but concurrent stories being interwoven throughout the book.
Of course, the Ben K portion was the primary story and what a story!?!?!!
I tip my hat to Bernhardt - that white House scenario had never entered my head - holy cow!!!!!
I rarely give 5 stars and rarely give one or two stars. Probably as a result of my
training as an elementary school
Randy
Lawyer and former senator Ben Kincaid is meeting with the president when Washington suddenly explodes into chaos. A fanatical foreign dictator has hacked into the U.S. nuclear defense system and now has a finger on the trigger of America’s most dangerous weapons. Kincaid is whisked, along with the president and his advisors, to an underground bunker, but the president seems to be falling apart under the pressure—and the vice president wants to strip him of his powers. While Kincaid scrambles to ...more
Mary
Tulsa lawyer and former senator Ben Kincaid is in a meeting with the president in the Oval Office when Washington suddenly explodes into chaos. Facing an imminent threat to the White House, Kincaid is whisked, along with the president and his advisors, to the underground PEOC—Presidential Emergency Operations Center—built to withstand a nuclear blast, but vulnerable to another kind of attack.

Inside the bunker, defense specialists realize that a malevolent foreign dictator has hacked into the U.S
Victor Vilchiz
didn't know it was part of a series... maybe that makes a difference... noticed several mistakes in the book that were a bit distracting. maybe I'll go back and read the first couple of books and see how I feel about I the series then.
Tom Buford
Well I finally made it through all 18 Ben Kencaid novels. It has been a very nice series with very likable characters. The bad thing now is that I'll have to wait for months to see what comes next in their lives.
Chris
Seems like this one was hastily put together, not not the best Kincaid novel I've read. The use of the word "man" was annoying and out of place, such as "What are you doing, man?".

Just seems like there wasn't a lot of thought put into the plot. A computer hacker that seamus worked with on another case "just happened to write the code that was used to take over the US satellite computers. Then, when Seamus asks him where other computer hackers might be that could infiltrate and take over the sys
Nancy
This is the first book I've read by this author. It's an easy read with flat characters and a wildly unlikely plot.
Nancy Chaddick
I enjoyed this book; he's a master of the political intrigue. This had a great twist at the end.
Marianne
Don't know when I read this but I did
Susan Mehring
I've read all the series of Ben Kincaid books by William Bernhardt. If that hadn't been the case, I would not have finished this one. Is this the last one in the series? If not, maybe it should be. The side story with the CIA agent was good, the main story with Ben Kincaid, not so much. I missed the usual cast of characters (and btw, what happened to Loving?). Ben's situation was completely unbelievable. And the ending? Please! We all know how it's going to end, did it have to drag out til the f ...more
Doug
I have read all the Ben Kincaid books and liked this one the least. The spontaneous trial was a great idea but it dragged on forever. I was glad when the action switched to Shamus. The book could have been very exciting if the trial was more succinct and moved along. For example, after the blackout I thought Ben was going to just drone on forever and never reveal what he figured out.

I would not have finished the book if I had not read all of the Kincaid series.
Jess
This was a quick and relatively entertaining read, but there was something of a simplistic feel to it. I felt like it needed more depth.

Not that this has to do with the story itself, but it doesn't help that this book was in need of a good editor. Perhaps spelling and grammar are losing their relevance in today's society, but one would think they should remain priorities in the publishing industry.
Rachel
Mostly predictable. The author does a lot to ruin his own a-ha moments.

I didn't like thrillers when I picked this up. I still don't. The only thing that kept me reading was wondering if the president's medical history qualified to make him incapable of holding office, and that interest is primarily personal, not a credit to the writing.

TV movie material? Maybe. -_-
Meagan
I loved this book! It was fast paced and had me hooked from the first page. I had never read anything by William Bernhardt before, but I will definitely be going back and reading this series from the beginning and checking out his other works! If you like political thrillers mixed in with terrorists and legal jargon, then this is the book for you!
Linda
Although I skipped a book or two, I was able to pick up the backstory quickly. I was so interested after Ben Kincaid was whisked away with the Presidnet in a Bunker, that it only took me 2 days to read the book. The introduction of a new character, Seamus McKay was also very refreshing.

I can't wait for the next book.
Kay
I thought this book was heads and shoulders above his last few books. I found it a 'can't put down' book and even though it wasn't equal to a Vince Flynn or Brian Haig thriller, it had a great plot. I would have given it 5 stars but a few of the occurrences fell a little flat.
Nancy
The on-the-fly trial is what really grabbed me, and I was impressed with Ben Kincaid's quick witted defense of his Top Level client. This was a page-turner, though it got quite OTT at the end. Good, diverting entertainment.
Caitlyn

This is my first book by the author and I really liked it. There was suspense, humor, and character development. I listened to the audio version and it was well read and well produced.
Barbara B.
Another favorite character----Ben Kincaid. These are well worth the time to read. He used to be in Oklahoma, but is now in Wash. D.C. One of my all time favorite authors!
Vanessa
Quite an enjoyable murder, mystery, thriller, suspense, spy novel. Easy to read, enjoyable plot and believable characters. Would happily read other books by this author.
Ricardo
Bernhardt is a good writer but I think he really struck out with this plot. It was so unbelievable that it almost became a joke as the book progressed
Deanna Hansen
More recent book by Bernhardt.....less torture, less sex; a great story and fantastic ending that pulled all the aspects of the story together.
Amy
A good political thriller--two intwined stories a mini trial over the 25th Amendment and a search for terrorists loose in Washington DC
Frank
Another fun read by Bernhardt.

Ben Kincaid saves the day, once again.
Intresting inner workings of the government.

• Microbe
  • Capture (Butch Karp, #21)
  • The Guilty (Will Robie, #4)
  • Back Blast (Court Gentry, #5)
  • The Prosecution
  • What Comes Around (Alexander Hawke, #7.2)
  • Suspicion of Innocence (Gail Connor and Anthony Quintana #1)
  • Dreams of the Dead (Nina Reilly, #13)
  • Try Dying
  • The Pallbearers (Shane Scully, #9)
  • Supreme Justice (Dana Cutler, #2)
  • The Crossing (Harry Bosch, #20)
  • Furnace
  • Independence Day (Dewey Andreas, #5)
  • The Promise (Elvis Cole, #14; Joe Pike, #5)
  • The Distance Between Us
  • The Survivor (Mitch Rapp #14)
William loves his job and it shows in his writing. Library Journal has called him the "master of the courtroom drama;" his books have sold more than ten million copies worldwide. The Vancouver Sun dubbed him "the American equivalent of P.G. Wodehouse and John Mortimer." His novel Dark Eye was a psychological thriller that, in the words of bestselling author Lisa Scottoline, "will chill you while i ...more
More about William Bernhardt...

Ben Kincaid (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Primary Justice (Ben Kencaid, #1)
  • Blind Justice: A Novel of Suspense (Ben Kencaid, #2)
  • Deadly Justice (Ben Kencaid, #3)
  • Perfect Justice (Ben Kencaid, #4)
  • Cruel Justice (Ben Kincaid, #5)
  • Naked Justice (Ben Kincaid, #6)
  • Extreme Justice (Ben Kincaid, #7)
  • Dark Justice (Ben Kincaid, #8)
  • Silent Justice (Ben Kincaid, #9)
  • Murder One (Ben Kincaid, #10)
Primary Justice (Ben Kencaid, #1) Perfect Justice (Ben Kencaid, #4) Blind Justice: A Novel of Suspense (Ben Kencaid, #2) Cruel Justice (Ben Kincaid, #5) Naked Justice (Ben Kincaid, #6)