Start by marking “Capitol Betrayal: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Capitol Betrayal: A Novel

Capitol Betrayal: A Novel (Ben Kincaid #18)

Published March 1st 2011 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Capitol Betrayal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Capitol Betrayal

Jim
Mar 29, 2012 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book by William Bernhardt that I've ever read. To tell you the truth, I hadn't even heard of him until I signed up for a couple of continuing education courses in legal writing and guess who was the instructor ...

The classes were very good but, ever the cynic, I probably still would not have run out to buy this book. After all, I've still got a stack of unread books at home from Borders' going-out-of-business sales. But, luckily for me, I scored highest on Bernhardt's grammar q
Doug
Nov 18, 2013 Doug rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, audio, awful
Why did the author think he had to invent an evil dictatorship in a fictional country that lies near and sounds like, but is not, Iraq? The protagonist gets computer help from a computer science grad student. This is melodramatic pulp with weak characters and a weak plot.
Barbara
Jun 05, 2010 Barbara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
DNF. Can't get into a book that starts with a thrilling CIA op vs terrorists chase then pauses a handful of paragraphs later to wax lyrical over touristy scenery.
Cindy
Jun 11, 2017 Cindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like series and premise of this episode. Well narrated and recommended.
Kate Woods Walker
Not my cup of tea, but a fine representation of formula mystery/thriller fiction by a very successful writer. William Bernhardt mixes light (very light) progressive politics with what seems to be admiring regard for some of the worst abuses of the Bush era, making for a somewhat confusing narrative tone.

But Capitol Betrayal is a political thriller and an action-adventure tale with lots of explosions, broken bones, and square-jawed and manly torture. It's chock full of what's expected in that gen
Steve
May 26, 2014 Steve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
1-20-2015 actually re-read it 6 months ago.

re read 5-2014 still 5 stars

This is a 2010 Ben K Washington DC story that I hadn't read.
I liked the two separate but concurrent stories being interwoven throughout the book.
Of course, the Ben K portion was the primary story and what a story!?!?!!
I tip my hat to Bernhardt - that white House scenario had never entered my head - holy cow!!!!!
I rarely give 5 stars and rarely give one or two stars. Probably as a result of my
training as an elementary school
Rick Ludwig
With his final Ben Kincaid novel, William Bernhardt does a fantastic job of weaving an intricate and well told tale while still maintaining the wonderful personalities of his continuing characters. This was not just icing on a wonderful cake it was a full and robust final course in a fabulous banquet of relevant and exciting individual courses, eighteen in all. I will miss Ben and his colleagues, but I look forward for a new banquet to come as well as those individual feasts that Bernhardt has s ...more
Randy
Oct 02, 2013 Randy rated it really liked it
Lawyer and former senator Ben Kincaid is meeting with the president when Washington suddenly explodes into chaos. A fanatical foreign dictator has hacked into the U.S. nuclear defense system and now has a finger on the trigger of America’s most dangerous weapons. Kincaid is whisked, along with the president and his advisors, to an underground bunker, but the president seems to be falling apart under the pressure—and the vice president wants to strip him of his powers. While Kincaid scrambles to ...more
Joyce
Mar 17, 2014 Joyce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The President is taken to his White House Bunker when it is learned that terrorists have gotten hold of a nuclear device. A CIA Agent is tracking that down in in his investigation learns that the terrorists have hacked into the US Military computers and now control the US Missiles.

Seamus McKay, the CIA Agent, tracks down the terrorists and works at solving the takeover and finding the bomb. Meanwhile the Veep is attempting to oust the President for incapacity while in the bunker. I will not go i
Mary
May 27, 2011 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tulsa lawyer and former senator Ben Kincaid is in a meeting with the president in the Oval Office when Washington suddenly explodes into chaos. Facing an imminent threat to the White House, Kincaid is whisked, along with the president and his advisors, to the underground PEOC—Presidential Emergency Operations Center—built to withstand a nuclear blast, but vulnerable to another kind of attack.

Inside the bunker, defense specialists realize that a malevolent foreign dictator has hacked into the U.S
Chris
Nov 14, 2010 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Seems like this one was hastily put together, not not the best Kincaid novel I've read. The use of the word "man" was annoying and out of place, such as "What are you doing, man?".

Just seems like there wasn't a lot of thought put into the plot. A computer hacker that seamus worked with on another case "just happened to write the code that was used to take over the US satellite computers. Then, when Seamus asks him where other computer hackers might be that could infiltrate and take over the sys
Susan Mehring
I've read all the series of Ben Kincaid books by William Bernhardt. If that hadn't been the case, I would not have finished this one. Is this the last one in the series? If not, maybe it should be. The side story with the CIA agent was good, the main story with Ben Kincaid, not so much. I missed the usual cast of characters (and btw, what happened to Loving?). Ben's situation was completely unbelievable. And the ending? Please! We all know how it's going to end, did it have to drag out til the f ...more
Doug
Jul 10, 2013 Doug rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have read all the Ben Kincaid books and liked this one the least. The spontaneous trial was a great idea but it dragged on forever. I was glad when the action switched to Shamus. The book could have been very exciting if the trial was more succinct and moved along. For example, after the blackout I thought Ben was going to just drone on forever and never reveal what he figured out.

I would not have finished the book if I had not read all of the Kincaid series.
Jess
Nov 28, 2010 Jess rated it liked it
This was a quick and relatively entertaining read, but there was something of a simplistic feel to it. I felt like it needed more depth.

Not that this has to do with the story itself, but it doesn't help that this book was in need of a good editor. Perhaps spelling and grammar are losing their relevance in today's society, but one would think they should remain priorities in the publishing industry.
Linda
Nov 09, 2010 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although I skipped a book or two, I was able to pick up the backstory quickly. I was so interested after Ben Kincaid was whisked away with the Presidnet in a Bunker, that it only took me 2 days to read the book. The introduction of a new character, Seamus McKay was also very refreshing.

I can't wait for the next book.
Meagan
Jan 26, 2013 Meagan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! It was fast paced and had me hooked from the first page. I had never read anything by William Bernhardt before, but I will definitely be going back and reading this series from the beginning and checking out his other works! If you like political thrillers mixed in with terrorists and legal jargon, then this is the book for you!
James
Jun 17, 2010 James rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Mostly predictable. The author does a lot to ruin his own a-ha moments.

I didn't like thrillers when I picked this up. I still don't. The only thing that kept me reading was wondering if the president's medical history qualified to make him incapable of holding office, and that interest is primarily personal, not a credit to the writing.

TV movie material? Maybe. -_-
Victor Vilchiz
didn't know it was part of a series... maybe that makes a difference... noticed several mistakes in the book that were a bit distracting. maybe I'll go back and read the first couple of books and see how I feel about I the series then.
Nancy
Nov 01, 2011 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The on-the-fly trial is what really grabbed me, and I was impressed with Ben Kincaid's quick witted defense of his Top Level client. This was a page-turner, though it got quite OTT at the end. Good, diverting entertainment.
Kay
Mar 28, 2010 Kay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was heads and shoulders above his last few books. I found it a 'can't put down' book and even though it wasn't equal to a Vince Flynn or Brian Haig thriller, it had a great plot. I would have given it 5 stars but a few of the occurrences fell a little flat.
Tom Buford
Jun 06, 2014 Tom Buford rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well I finally made it through all 18 Ben Kencaid novels. It has been a very nice series with very likable characters. The bad thing now is that I'll have to wait for months to see what comes next in their lives.
Cristi Schwamb
This book had all pretty much all the things I love in a fiction book that I'm reading for fun -- action/suspense (with the good guys chasing down the bad guys), legal issues, medical intrigue, politics, and a believable main character. A fun read!
Carol Ann
Jun 25, 2010 Carol Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was one of his best. Bernhardt is expanding his story telling abilities.
Mark Cheathem
Not that interesting.
Marianne
Don't know when I read this but I did
Kathy Govreau
Jan 04, 2015 Kathy Govreau rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely could not put this book down!
Don Paske
Nov 21, 2012 Don Paske rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
William Bernhardt is always a good read. Very entertaining "who done it".
Carrie
Aug 11, 2010 Carrie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
not one of the best but I like Ben Kincaid
Jane
Oct 26, 2015 Jane rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
so unbelievable in all aspects it's stupid. and what was up with that name change?
Dad
Jan 21, 2011 Dad rated it really liked it
A real political action page turner.
  • Twelve Hours (Dan Morgan #4)
  • Microbe
  • Capture (Butch Karp, #21)
  • Maisie Dobbs Bundle #3: The Mapping of Love and Death and A Lesson in Secrets: Books 7 and 8 in the New York Times Bestselling Series
  • Breach of Trust
  • The Pot Thief Who Studied Pythagoras (A Pot Thief Murder Mystery #1)
  • Suspicion of Innocence (Gail Connor and Anthony Quintana #1)
  • No Man's Land (John Puller, #4)
  • Supreme Justice (Dana Cutler, #2)
  • Furnace
  • The Distance Between Us
  • The Sniper and the Wolf (Sniper Elite, #3)
  • Gumption: The Practical Woman's Guide to Living an Adventuresome Life
  • Exit Plan (Jerry Mitchell, #3)
  • The Arraignment (Paul Madriani, #7)
  • Death of a Nationalist (Tejada, #1)
  • The Admiral's Mark (Cotton Malone, #0.5)
I love my job!

William loves his job and it shows in his writing. Library Journal has called him the "master of the courtroom drama;" his books have sold more than ten million copies worldwide. The Vancouver Sun dubbed him "the American equivalent of P.G. Wodehouse and John Mortimer." His novel Dark Eye was a psychological thriller that, in the words of bestselling author Lisa Scottoline, "will chi
More about William Bernhardt...

Ben Kincaid (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Primary Justice (Ben Kencaid, #1)
  • Blind Justice (Ben Kencaid, #2)
  • Deadly Justice (Ben Kencaid, #3)
  • Perfect Justice (Ben Kencaid, #4)
  • Cruel Justice (Ben Kincaid, #5)
  • Naked Justice (Ben Kincaid, #6)
  • Extreme Justice (Ben Kincaid, #7)
  • Dark Justice (Ben Kincaid, #8)
  • Silent Justice (Ben Kincaid, #9)
  • Murder One (Ben Kincaid, #10)