Start by marking “The Family Reunion” as Want to Read:
The Family Reunion

The Family Reunion

A modern verse play dealing with the problem of man’s guilt and his need for expiation through his acceptance of responsibility for the sin of humanity. “What poets and playwrights have been fumbling at in their desire to put poetry into drama and drama into poetry has here been realized.... This is the finest verse play since the Elizabethans” (New York Times).
Published March 18th 1964 by Mariner Books (first published 1939)

To ask other readers questions about The Family Reunion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Family Reunion

Manny
Feb 06, 2009 Manny rated it really liked it
description

We were having a walk at Anglesey Abbey earlier this year, and a couple of lines from this play popped into my head:
The aconite under the snow
And the snowdrop crying for a moment in the wood
Maybe they'll encourage you to read it.

mai ahmd
Jul 02, 2012 mai ahmd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: مسرحيات

النفس الشعري الذي كتب به أليوت المسرحية كان فاتنا جدا
ممتلئة بالحكمة والفلسفة والشعور بالذنب
المسرحية تحوي دراسة رائعة في المقدمة وكذلك تعريفا مطولا للشخصيات في نهايتها

قضيت وقتا ممتعا جدا مع أليوت

Swarnadeep Banik
since it was not a popular eliot play, i thought before reading that it would be an underwhelming experience. but, believe in mr. t.s. eliot! what a genius he was! and, this play is one of those marks of his genius penmanship! this play is deeply philosophical, and also existentialist in a very unique nature. i am so glad that i have this text in my university syllabus.

there is this quote made by rust cohle in "true detective" - "oh, then, everybody's guilty." each and every characters in this
abdou aly
May 27, 2015 abdou aly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
مسرحية جيدة لشاعر طالما وددت التعرف عليه ، اللغة شاعرية وفاتنة والحوار بين الشخصيات عميق ومؤثر ، يعيبها وجود الهوامش مجتمعة في اخرها وهذا شئ لا احبه وافضل ان تكون هوامش كل صفحة موجودة في اسفلها
Amal Arrumaih
I don't know how to rate this book since I don't feel like I have understood it.

However, it is very poetic and absurd, as it would be expected of T.S. Elliot.
Nermine Tadross
Mar 12, 2017 Nermine Tadross rated it really liked it
The Family Reunion by T.S. Eliot is a two act play. It is taking place in modern England but Eliot used two features of old Greek theater; a chorus to comment on the event every now and then and the the Eumenides (the avenging souls) from the Oresteia. This is one of the very few works which can be considered a comment by Eliot on his complicated relationship to his first wife.
Jennifer Wood
Oct 30, 2014 Jennifer Wood rated it liked it
Interesting play, I'll admit a bit over my head at times.

Harry: "Time and time and time, and change, no change! You all of you try to talk as if nothing had happened, and yet you are talking of nothing else. Why not get to the point or if you want to pretend that I am another person - a person that you have conspired to invent, please do so in my absence. I shall be less embarrassing to you." p. 233

Chorus: "We all of us make the pretension to be the uncommon exception to the universal bondage.
Monique
Dec 12, 2013 Monique rated it really liked it
In this verse drama Eliot's characters talk in obscure/abstract/interpretive ways. They struggle to put their experiences into words, not wanting to confine themselves to any kind of concrete pre-existing narrative of absolutes. There is a fascinating liquidity and sense of a communal project in these conversations, in which all speech contributes.

The mother, Amy, as the head of the family has, in her attempt to put off consequences, to maintain sameness, achieved nothing but spreading her own
Sulagna Ghosh
Jan 31, 2015 Sulagna Ghosh rated it it was ok
Well...let me get something straight in the beginning.. I had had huge expectations from this drama,a reason which might account for for my dissatisfaction at it's ending.Eliot's verse and imagery is at it's usual best and the plot seemed to hold bright promises..but soon I found that the story of a man travelling from a sinful existence to expiation of the same lacked the brilliance of the author's volume of poems and even the Greek references failed to captivate me.
The quotes of two characters
Rachel Terry
Apr 13, 2010 Rachel Terry rated it really liked it
The library copy I read has a sticker from a store on Sunset Boulevard in Hollywood (Samuel French, Inc.). It appears to be a 1939 edition. As I read, I kept imagining what Hollywood would do with a script like this. Maybe Hollywood of the 1930s would have attempted it, but I have a hard time believing that they would have attempted the Greek chorus or the Eumenides.

The language and poetry is beautiful, but the story ends too abruptly. A young man returns to his English country home after having
Drew
Jul 07, 2015 Drew rated it really liked it
Shelves: drama
I used to think that Attic Drama referred to a group of very early Greek plays that were never meant to be staged but only read in the attic. (I know: Stupid!) Well, I'd classify T.S. Eliot's verse play "The Family Reunion" in that misnomer. Which is another way of saying that while I don't find Eliot's update of classical tragedy particularly stageworthy or even dramatically sound, I would recommend reading it to anyone open to Eliot's deep meditations on responsibility, fate and family. There ...more
Danny Daley
Apr 23, 2015 Danny Daley rated it it was amazing
Not surprisingly in the least, Eliot's play "The Family Reunion" is fantastic. Eliot strikes a perfect balance of narrative and lucid prose with powerful insights into the nature of family life. In many ways, I related very much to Harry; his feelings about the circumstances he found himself in, his wanderlust and need to make his own way regardless of the expectations of others. When Eliot's characters break into poetry, the lines are effective and reflective. A wonderful play I will likely rea ...more
J. Alfred
May 14, 2015 J. Alfred rated it it was amazing
In his pinnacle as a dramatist, Eliot creates a story that has to be absolutely stunning onstage. Wrenching the Furies from their Greek context and putting them into the life of an English peer is astonishing in its own right, but that he then does a Chestertonian reversal of roles and allows his main character to find salvation rather than damnation in them? Goodness gracious. This is a strong play, laced with allusions to his works and those of others. Very much worth your time.
Camille
Jan 15, 2016 Camille rated it really liked it
I love T.S Eliot's plays. His writing is as usual, beautiful and poetic. The characters are mysterious even after you finish this book. Short but full of suspense, this family reunion will be like no other. I can't wait to read more of this author's work. His talent is shown in every word he writes, and his thoughts about life and death pour out of every character like a waterfall.

I highly recommend it.
Gary Wright
Mar 07, 2013 Gary Wright rated it did not like it
The purpose of a"play" is to entertain, whether read or performed. "The Family Reunion" did NOT entertain me at all, nor did it instruct. I literally struggled thought the cryptic blank verse, wondering what it means or what the characters' intentions are. There is barely a story, let alone a message, and the end is abrupt and strange. I was glad when it was over, to be honest. How this is considered a classic is beyond me.
Anoud  Alqahtani
Aug 04, 2014 Anoud Alqahtani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first time reading a play, although I took one as a course before but I had never intended to read it. I actually thought it was a collection of poems , but when I got home I discovered it's not and rather it's a play.

I loved the conversations among the characters and everyone of them has a point. it was vividly written, so you can finish it within two days the most.

Everett Darling
Nov 13, 2009 Everett Darling rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2009
uncrossing the bones, laying them straight...it was all rather confusing, and effective at confusing me. Far from getting annoyed, I was intrigued and reread passages for clarity, though much still stays opaque.
Ryan
Sep 10, 2009 Ryan rated it liked it
Something like a Wes Anderson film. Blends poetry with a sort of realism, in the same way that the tragic central character moves from the superficial realm of his family life to one of tortured introspection.
Steven
Mar 16, 2015 Steven rated it liked it
I don't think it would work as a play (don't think so...but I wouldn't mind watching a good performance) but as a piece of plain-spoken poetry it does and it seems to me to be almost a dry run at many of the ideas put forth in Eliot's Four Quartets.
Shaimaa Suleiman
Mar 19, 2013 Shaimaa Suleiman rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: People who like to print vague quotes on t-shirts
I expected a play. But then again, who doesn't love a handful of Eliot's most hauntingly beautiful lines of poetry?
Dianna
Aug 08, 2010 Dianna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: plays
I am trying to recommend this play to all my Goodreads friends but for some reason I am not able to do this. Please read this play if you get a chance!
Tariq A
Oct 08, 2011 Tariq A rated it it was ok
Shelves: مسرحيات, 2011
لم تُعجبني الفكرة ولا الحوارات
اللغة كانت شعرية، وذلك ليس بغريب على المؤلف
Tajli
Tajli rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2010
Patrick
Patrick rated it liked it
Dec 03, 2016
Pishowi
Pishowi rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2012
Mohamed Galal
Mohamed Galal rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2016
Martu Castro Vallejo
Martu Castro Vallejo rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2017
Jkrahe
Jkrahe rated it it was ok
Jan 26, 2016
Jacob Rowan
Jacob Rowan rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2014
Gopi Sait
Gopi Sait rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2012
  • Five Faces of Modernity: Modernism, Avant-garde, Decadence, Kitsch, Postmodernism
  • The Man of Destiny
  • Freshwater: A Comedy
  • Génitrix
  • Desire Under the Elms & The Great God Brown
  • The Odes of John Keats
  • Principles of Literary Criticism (Routledge Classics)
  • Collected Shorter Poems, 1927-1957
  • The Playboy of the Western World & Riders to the Sea
  • Can Poetry Matter?: Essays on Poetry and American Culture
  • World War II
  • The Wishing Tree
  • The Secret Rose: Love Poems by W.B. Yeats
  • The Forgotten Village
Thomas Stearns Eliot was a poet, dramatist and literary critic. He received the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1948 "for his outstanding, pioneer contribution to present-day poetry." He wrote the poems The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock, The Waste Land, The Hollow Men, Ash Wednesday, and Four Quartets; the plays Murder in the Cathedral and The Cocktail Party; and the essay Tradition and the Individ ...more
More about T.S. Eliot...

“We ask only to be reassured
About the noises in the cellar
And the window that should not have been open”
44 likes
“In a world of fugitives, the person taking the opposite direction will appear to run away.” 17 likes