Start by marking “The Family Reunion” as Want to Read:
The Family Reunion

The Family Reunion

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  222 ratings  ·  16 reviews
A modern verse play dealing with the problem of man’s guilt and his need for expiation through his acceptance of responsibility for the sin of humanity. “What poets and playwrights have been fumbling at in their desire to put poetry into drama and drama into poetry has here been realized.... This is the finest verse play since the Elizabethans” (New York Times).
Published March 18th 1964 by Mariner Books (first published 1939)

To ask other readers questions about The Family Reunion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Family Reunion

Manny
description

We were having a walk at Anglesey Abbey earlier this year, and a couple of lines from this play popped into my head:
The aconite under the snow
And the snowdrop crying for a moment in the wood
Maybe they'll encourage you to read it.

mai ahmd

النفس الشعري الذي كتب به أليوت المسرحية كان فاتنا جدا
ممتلئة بالحكمة والفلسفة والشعور بالذنب
المسرحية تحوي دراسة رائعة في المقدمة وكذلك تعريفا مطولا للشخصيات في نهايتها

قضيت وقتا ممتعا جدا مع أليوت

Lisa
Jul 25, 2009 Lisa rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: plays
As always, T.S. Eliot approaches the hidden underbelly of the world with an extraordinarily light touch. This is a good companion to The Cocktail Party, as many of the same themes are examined - quests, spiritual awakening, higher callings, etc. There are verses here that match some of Eliot's finest poetry. (Is the cold spring/Is the spring not an evil time, that excites us with lying voices?...)

I am very glad I read this instead of seeing it performed, because I think it would inevitably fail
Christine Hahn
Well...let me get something straight in the beginning.. I had had huge expectations from this drama,a reason which might account for for my dissatisfaction at it's ending.Eliot's verse and imagery is at it's usual best and the plot seemed to hold bright promises..but soon I found that the story of a man travelling from a sinful existence to expiation of the same lacked the brilliance of the author's volume of poems and even the Greek references failed to captivate me.
The quotes of two characters
Monique
In this verse drama Eliot's characters talk in obscure/abstract/interpretive ways. They struggle to put their experiences into words, not wanting to confine themselves to any kind of concrete pre-existing narrative of absolutes. There is a fascinating liquidity and sense of a communal project in these conversations, in which all speech contributes.

The mother, Amy, as the head of the family has, in her attempt to put off consequences, to maintain sameness, achieved nothing but spreading her own
Rachel Terry
The library copy I read has a sticker from a store on Sunset Boulevard in Hollywood (Samuel French, Inc.). It appears to be a 1939 edition. As I read, I kept imagining what Hollywood would do with a script like this. Maybe Hollywood of the 1930s would have attempted it, but I have a hard time believing that they would have attempted the Greek chorus or the Eumenides.

The language and poetry is beautiful, but the story ends too abruptly. A young man returns to his English country home after having
Anoud  Alqahtani
My first time reading a play, although I took one as a course before but I had never intended to read it. I actually thought it was a collection of poems , but when I got home I discovered it's not and rather it's a play.

I loved the conversations among the characters and everyone of them has a point. it was vividly written, so you can finish it within two days the most.

Steven
I don't think it would work as a play (don't think so...but I wouldn't mind watching a good performance) but as a piece of plain-spoken poetry it does and it seems to me to be almost a dry run at many of the ideas put forth in Eliot's Four Quartets.
Gary Wright
The purpose of a"play" is to entertain, whether read or performed. "The Family Reunion" did NOT entertain me at all, nor did it instruct. I literally struggled thought the cryptic blank verse, wondering what it means or what the characters' intentions are. There is barely a story, let alone a message, and the end is abrupt and strange. I was glad when it was over, to be honest. How this is considered a classic is beyond me.
Everett Darling
uncrossing the bones, laying them straight...it was all rather confusing, and effective at confusing me. Far from getting annoyed, I was intrigued and reread passages for clarity, though much still stays opaque.
Ryan
Something like a Wes Anderson film. Blends poetry with a sort of realism, in the same way that the tragic central character moves from the superficial realm of his family life to one of tortured introspection.
Amal Arrumaih
I don't know how to rate this book since I don't feel like I have understood it.

However, it is very poetic and absurd, as it would be expected of T.S. Elliot.
Dianna
I am trying to recommend this play to all my Goodreads friends but for some reason I am not able to do this. Please read this play if you get a chance!
Shymaa
Mar 22, 2013 Shymaa rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who like to print vague quotes on t-shirts
I expected a play. But then again, who doesn't love a handful of Eliot's most hauntingly beautiful lines of poetry?
Tariq A
لم تُعجبني الفكرة ولا الحوارات
اللغة كانت شعرية، وذلك ليس بغريب على المؤلف
Elmarie Jena
The best play I have ever read.
Shaimaa Ahmed
Shaimaa Ahmed marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
Winanda Weidenaar
Winanda Weidenaar marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Carla
Carla marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
Danny
Danny marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
Alexa
Alexa marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Prabh
Prabh marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
  • The Greatest Stories Never Told
  • Studies in Classic American Literature
  • The Playboy of the Western World & Riders to the Sea
  • Imaginations
Thomas Stearns Eliot was a poet, dramatist and literary critic. He received the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1948 "for his outstanding, pioneer contribution to present-day poetry." He wrote the poems The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock, The Waste Land, The Hollow Men, Ash Wednesday, and Four Quartets; the plays Murder in the Cathedral and The Cocktail Party; and the essay Tradition and the Individ ...more
More about T.S. Eliot...
The Waste Land and Other Poems The Waste Land Collected Poems, 1909-1962 The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock and Other Poems Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats

“We ask only to be reassured
About the noises in the cellar
And the window that should not have been open”
35 likes
“In a world of fugitives, the person taking the opposite direction will appear to run away.” 10 likes