Start by marking “All We Know of Heaven” as Want to Read:
All We Know of Heaven

All We Know of Heaven

3.69  ·  Rating Details ·  1,395 Ratings  ·  218 Reviews
From the bestselling author of The Deep End of the Ocean comes a ripped-from-the-headlines story of one teenager's survival after a horrific accident and how she reclaims her shattered life. Includes an interview with the author.
Published June 1st 2011 by Harper Teen (first published April 24th 2008)

Rossy
Mar 22, 2015 Rossy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Loved the premise, but the book failed to amuse me. As a lot of reviews say, the first part of the book was interesting: We learn about the accident and the aftermath and we feel truly sorry (and happy) for the families. BUT... after that, it went downhill. Maureen's recovery was far from believable, Danny and Maureen's relationship was ugh/meh/omgno!, and the rest of the characters were not likeable at all.
Aoibhínn
This novel was inspired by a true story. It is about two girls, Bridget and Maureen, who are so alike and yet so different at the same time. They look quite similar, they have the same colour hair and eyes, and they are the same height. The two have been best friends since they were small children.

One night while travelling home from a cheerleading practice, there is an accident, an extremely serious one, and the lives of these two girls are changed forever. One girl dies while the other one sur
Sara
May 08, 2012 Sara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a good book, but it had one major problem--believability. Okay, I know this situation of a bad accident and thinking it was one person who died but it was actually the other has happened in the past, and I'm fine with that. I'm fine that they made a book about it. What I'm not fine with is how unbelievable everything else is. Like the girl who survived happened to be the nicer of the two. The girl who survived's family is more religious than the other family. They also didn't ...more
Arryn
Nov 10, 2008 Arryn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book up for two reasons: 1. I think Jacquelyn Mitchard is a very good writer, although I've only read one of her novels previously (and lots of freelance articles); and 2. I vividly remember reading about the true incident upon which this novel is loosely based. The real-life incident involved two college students who were also good friends; they were involved in a violent car accident in which one of the girls was killed and the other was terribly injured and in a coma for over fi ...more
jonathan
I would not recommend this book at all, because I found the novel, all we know of heaven by Jacquelyn Mitchard rather dull and boring. I hated the fact that the author only focuses on the characters that are alive, and pays no respect to the dead ones. One tremendous flaw this book had was predictability. It was easy to foretell the next events, and the problems the character would have to face, as long as you knew the plot. It was quite simple to foreshadow the outcome of this story.

I found it
Jason Yeung
May 10, 2011 Jason Yeung rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
All we know of heaven, a novel by Jacquelyn Mitchard is about 2 teenage girls that have been best friends since kindergarten, and grew up together. It all starts when Maureen O’Malley and Bridget Flannery finished cheerleading practice and were on their drive home for Christmas Break.

Right when it was building up to them driving home, the next chapter started off with them already in the scene, injured, with paramedics and everything – which I didn’t like at all. It happened too early in the bo
Elizabeth
Jan 03, 2015 Elizabeth rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
Read more book reviews at http://leafsreviews.wordpress.com/.

Mitchard handled the emotions of everyone very well. That was, I think, the most well-done part of the entire book. She captured the grief, the shock, the relief, the joy, the heartbreak very realistically.

Maureen’s recovery is wonderful to read about.

The first 100-150 pages of this book are fine. Great, maybe. And then for the next half of the book it just drags on and on…I almost stopped reading it at one point. Danny (a.k.a STUPID D
Nicole
Apr 14, 2011 Nicole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of deeper YA
Very touching novel about friendships, love, and tragedy. I found myself laughing at times, in tears at others.

******Review******
Bridget and Maureeen have been best friends since they were 5 years old. They do everything together and if you saw the girls in person, you would probably have to look twice, thinking you were looking at a set of twins since the girls are almost mirror images of each other. Same height, slender build, and long blonde hair. So it's easy to see how the hospital screwed
Annie
Dec 28, 2014 Annie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another random YA book that I had read in high school and that just popped into my head when I was trying to think of some quick, fun reads to amuse me.

Surprisingly, I think this one resonated a bit more with me now upon rereading it than it did when initially reading it. The complicated nature of Danny's and Maureen's and Bridget's relationships with one another is well done.

The characters are all extremely compelling and linger long after the book is closed (in the eight or nine years in betwe
Paloma Meir
Sep 29, 2015 Paloma Meir rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jacqueline Mitchard and Wally Lamb write the most depressing books. And I like it.

All We Know of Heaven is a ripped from the headlines story of two girls who are in a car accident. One dies, one lives. Their broken bodies lead to a case of mistaken identity.

The story covers all aspects of the tragedy, the overwhelming grief of the parents, the relief of finding out it wasn't their child, the guilt of having their child live. The press attention complicates their lives, the long hard road of reh
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Me for TeensReadToo.com

I have read and reviewed many books over the past two years that have impressed me. I have read only a handful, however, that have touched me as deeply as ALL WE KNOW OF HEAVEN. This is a book that's hard to describe in detail, due mainly to the fact that I don't want to give too much of the story away. Suffice it to say, however, that it's a story that will stay with you long after you've turned the last page.

Two girls, Bridget and Maureen, who are so similar
Rachie  wong
The book "All We Know Of Heaven" was not the type of book I would recommend on a daily basis. It's quite in interesting book, but at the same time, its not quite moving. I do have to say that the beginning was a bore and the end was quite a delicate story. The interesting part was the beginning even though it was boring.
How two girls lost their lives, but only one survived. Only one was in a coma. The incident which took one girl's lives, split the two family apart. Maureen and Bidget. Could yo
Ginger
Jan 21, 2011 Ginger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ANYONE Who wants an emotional read
Shelves: kindle, read-2012
After reading the description of this book, I was torn between wanting to read it and passing it up. The main reason why I sort of wanted to pass is because I have a daughter and can not imagine outliving her. On the other hand, this book sounded so intriguing, I just had to read it. This is one of those books where it makes the reader think, “There’s someone out there who has it worse than I do”.
I cannot even begin to imagine what it would be like to have a child involved in a horrific traffic
BAYA Librarian
Jan 22, 2009 BAYA Librarian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: realistic
* Inspired by a true and tragic story of mistaken identity, Mitchard's first teen novel, "All We Know of Heaven," explores what happens when look-alike best friends are involved in a fatal car accident. Emergency crews desperately try to save both Maureen and Bridget. In the first frantic minutes of the rescue, the girl's identities are confused. One girl dies and the other lingers in a coma. Maureen's family holds a funereal. Bridget's family prays their daughter will regain consciousness. But ...more
Shay Caroline
Sometimes I really like Mitchard's books. I loved "Still Summer" and "Cage Of Stars." But sometimes she draws you in, which she is really good at, only to drop the ball at the end. (See "Breakdown Lane" with its happy-sappy ending.)

"All We Know Of Heaven" is about two teenage girls who are in a terrible car accident together. They look very similar anyway, but given all the injuries, identification becomes dicey. One dies and the other is in a coma, and everyone has them crossed, thinking each i
Riley
Jan 28, 2015 Riley rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have not read any books by Jackquelyn Mitchard before, and I really though this book would be interesting.
This book started out awesome. It wasn't a slow start. It right into the action of the car accident. The scene was graphic and very nerve wrecking. I liked how this book had you on the edge of your seat. At least for the first part.

After the accident, things started slowing down, It gave more background about the two girls, and then the story kinda switched up to a sad romance novel which
Gay
Apr 30, 2010 Gay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite book of all time. PERIOD.

Forget THE DEEP END OF THE OCEAN, Jacquelyn Mitchard should be known as the author of the legendary ALL WE KNOW OF HEAVEN. I would have read it in one sitting, except (thankfully, since it was 3 AM) my Kindle demanded charging.

The other books I've read and loved cannot even be mentioned in the same review. It's that good. In fact, I almost feel like I should go and subtract a star from every other book I've read, just to keep things proportional... but that w
Heather
Apr 19, 2011 Heather rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My last Mitchard - the least annoying by far, but still. There was so much potential to the story of mistaken identity about which of two best friends survived a car wreck in a coma and which one died, yet so much of this book was wasted on defending cheerleading as a sport and having the stereotype mean girl drama... this would've been a fascinating book in a better author's hands. In this case, mildly entertaining is about the best I could muster.

(At least, unlike the previous few of her book
Kim
Aug 04, 2011 Kim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: family-drama
I read a magazine article that was very similar to this story, about two girls mixed up in a car accident and how one family buried the others' daughter and the wrong family was care-taking until the girl was able to express who she really was. The difference here was, the author added in extra drama. The boyfriend sharing thing, I could totally get, as I could with the teen friends' reactions. The mother of the girl who died was overblown though. Of course she'd be distraught, but she wouldn't ...more
Jacqueline Rondeau
This book had a GREAT force behind it. Between the story line, the emotion and the possibility, it really had the potential to soar. However, this book fell short of my expectations greatly. The story line is good, but it focuses on a lot of petty drama as opposed to the real matter at hand. There's a lot of typical high school problems and an overall choppy feel to the book. I'm very disappointed to say this because I was thoroughly excited to read this book.
Katiescupp
Dec 09, 2009 Katiescupp rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
All We Know of Heaven is anamazing book. In the book two best friends are driving there is a caar crash one dies one lives, but they mistook the identy of the one who died so after a funeral and one family mourns they have to go through it all again.There have been many books writen about the same thing but this one really shows how a family would deal with it and how the loved ones arre left behind to pick up the pieces.
Jessica
Feb 26, 2010 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jessica by: It's Just Me!
Definitely a tear jerker. I found that I really like epilogues and that I wsh ths book had one. The ending was good, but it would have been great to have a tiny epilogue, I think. It was interesting because we just got done learnig about brain injuries in psychology, so it was pretty cool to read this. It was a really GREAT book, and had many emotions! Love it!
Issy
Dec 11, 2010 Issy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This very sad but moving book. It was the type of book that you can easily skim the pages and not miss any important information. I would recommend it to anyone who wants to read an interesting book about mistaken identity.
Danielle
Aug 30, 2008 Danielle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, chicklit
It was a little slow going there in the middle, but ultimately a really enjoyable, moving read. I read this one right after a five day stint in the hospital so I think I related to the main character a bit more than I would have normally.
Liesl
Aug 21, 2010 Liesl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful book! I liked the beginning a lot more than the end though. I really enjoyed seeing how the delt with the situation that arose and seeing how the families delt with their grief, how one found God and the other their own grief.
Jan
Jul 04, 2013 Jan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I know a real life incident where two young girls were confused for a short (!) while in a hospital. One survived and the other did not. The one that survived did have a traumatic brain injury that changed her life. Yes, these things do happen.....
Lori
Jun 05, 2009 Lori rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
This book was recommended by a student and I'm so glad I listened because now I can recommend it to others without hesitation; especially my students
Kristy
Aug 17, 2013 Kristy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as moving as I had hoped for... and I was hoping for more heavenly moments.....

Full review later.

Yasmeen
Dec 14, 2012 Yasmeen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
By Yasmeen Mufti (Grade 10)

All We Know of Heaven is a phenomenal novel written by the author Jacquelyn Mitchard that I could not put down. It’s a story based on two very similar looking girls, Bridget Flannery and Maureen O’Malley. Both cheerleaders, blonde with green eyes and both were in a severe car accident. Maureen ended dead while Bridget ended up in a coma. After the doctors go back over the tests, they soon realise that they had made a terrible mistake, the one who actually died was not
Haley Reed
Apr 30, 2013 Haley Reed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought that this was a pretty good book. At first, I didn’t get into the story. But once I kept reading, I actually liked the book! I usually like nonfiction novels, so this was right down my ally. The author acknowledges that although this story is based on true events, a horrible accident and mixed identities, while all the ‘meat’ in the story is made up. Despite that fact, this book still has a ring of authenticity to it that makes it all the more touching and moving. I only gave ‘All We ...more
SPSV Mrs. Rodgers...: Paulina Rapolla 1 3 Dec 05, 2013 10:45PM
SPSV Mrs. Rodgers...: Paulina Rapolla 1 3 Dec 05, 2013 10:44PM
Young Adult BookC...: Discussing "All We Know of Heaven" 1 2 Feb 17, 2012 05:30PM
  • Taking Off
  • Getting It
  • Nailed
  • Rob&Sara.com
  • Every Little Thing in the World
Jacquelyn Mitchard’s first novel, The Deep End of the Ocean, was named by USA Today as one of the ten most influential books of the past 25 years – second only to the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling (but second by a long shot, it must be said.)

The Deep End of the Ocean was chosen as the first novel in the book club made famous by the TV host Oprah Winfrey, and transformed into a feature film p
More about Jacquelyn Mitchard...