Start by marking “Voice of the Undead (Alex Van Helsing #2)” as Want to Read:
Voice of the Undead (Alex Van Helsing #2)

Voice of the Undead (Alex Van Helsing #2)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  456 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews

Now that Alex is in the know about the deadly vampires that liveand huntaround his boarding school, everything is different. Putting his talents to use, Alex is training with the Polidorium to become a vampire hunter, just like his Van Helsing ancestors. Sure, hes only fourteen, but cmon: This runs in his blood.

But Alex is wondering if hell live long enough to succeed. H

Published July 26th 2011 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Voice of the Undead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Voice of the Undead

City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra ClareClockwork Prince by Cassandra ClareForever by Maggie StiefvaterSilence by Becca FitzpatrickPassion by Lauren Kate
YA Novels of 2011
499th out of 1,166 books — 6,995 voters

More lists with this book...

Ernest Cline
Aug 03, 2011 Ernest Cline rated it it was amazing
Full Disclosure: The author of this novel, Jason Henderson, is an old friend of mine, and I’m a longtime fan of his work. But rest assured, if this book sucked, I would still have to be honest and tell you. Luckily, this book totally kicks ass. No small feat, considering the glut of vampire books in the past few years. It's made me miss the good old days, when vampires were just unholy undead abominations that needed to be destroyed.

And that’s why I love this book. It’s not just another “teen v
Mitch
Jul 27, 2012 Mitch rated it really liked it
Woah, if I'd known how much improved Voice of the Undead is compared to Vampire Rising, I wouldn't have waited a year to read this. I'm going to throw around the word better a lot, but it's all true - this book is better plotted, better paced, better developed, better everything. But most importantly, not only does this sequel totally blow the first book out of the water, it's also a really good book in its own right.

From the very first page, I just knew this was going to be a wild and totally d
Qt
Nov 03, 2013 Qt rated it really liked it
I liked the first book in this series, and I think I liked this second one even better. It's fast-paced and has plenty of action and humor.
Barbara
Aug 19, 2011 Barbara rated it really liked it
Sarah Miles
Mar 09, 2015 Sarah Miles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I *really* enjoyed this book. I could tell in book one that the series was well written, but it didn't grip me like I'd like (still gave it 4 *, since I think it might've just been my personal taste instead of the book itself). With each book, this world that Henderson's created gets more and more complex. Makes sense with the motto of "There are Such Things" for the secret org. This book picks up after book 1's big rescue mission, and now the whole gang know about Alex. A new person joins their ...more
Kevin
Jul 07, 2011 Kevin rated it really liked it
This second book was much better than the first in my opinion. The plot was more involved and the balance between action and character development was much better. As a YA adventure novel the plot is not all that complex and the characters are not particular deep but the story develops nicely and the tension builds with some nice side stories.

Looks like this is turning into a nice series for those looking for action adventure with a vampire twist.
E.J.
Aug 22, 2013 E.J. rated it it was amazing
Alex continues his adventure in with the Polidorium in this action packed sequel to the Vampires Rising. The way Jason Henderson uses literature to weave a story was fun and interesting. You love this kid, Alex, right from the start. He's a regular kid with contacts. Then he starts on this adventure and you are brought along to see all of it. It's a great read and I'd love to see a fourth book!

I've already read the series twice. :)
Sapphyria
Dec 28, 2013 Sapphyria rated it liked it
My review of Book 1, Vampire Rising, can be found here: http://saphsbookblog.blogspot.com/201...

The gang is all back together in Book 2: Alex, Paul, Sid, Minhi, Sangster, the rest of the Polidorium, and Alex's nemesis, Elle the vampire.

After being attacked by Elle on his way back to school, Alex accidentally burns down the school. This forces the entire Glenarvon’s Boarding School for Boys to move into an all girls' school, LaLaurie School for Girls, while the situation is assessed. This school
A Book Vacation
Jul 15, 2014 A Book Vacation rated it really liked it
To see my full review:

Truth be told, this novel wasn't even on my radar. I'd never heard of the series, and I wasn't looking for another vampire book to read, but a student brought this to me and begged me to read it so s/he would possibly have the opportunity to read it as part of his/her outside reading project this quarter. Out of the 200 books I listed as choices, s/he wanted something that wasn't on the list. Figures.

But, my student made a case for th
Bibliojunkies
Aug 09, 2011 Bibliojunkies rated it it was amazing
This second installment of the Alex Van Helsing series does not disappoint. For the Alex history lesson and review of the first book, Alex Van Helsing: Vampire Rising, see Bel’s fantastic review here! This time, our hero finds himself the target of the Icemaker’s vampire coven. On his way back to Glenarvon Academy from training exercises with the Polidorium, Alex is attacked by Elle, one of the vampires he bested in Vampire Rising. Alex escapes, but unfortunately the attack has unforeseen conseq ...more
Cheryl
Jul 16, 2011 Cheryl rated it liked it
Alex has just finished a training session with Sangster, his mentor with the Polidorium, a multinational organization. Just because Alex is part of the Polidorium does not mean that he is exempt from curfew at Glenarvon Academy, where he attends. On his way back to Glenarvon Academy, Alex is attacked by Elle. Elle is a vampire and Alex’s nemesis. Elle works for Scholomance. The Scholomance want Alex dead for good. After almost succeeding, Alex is forced to stay at LaLaurie School for Girls, Glen ...more
Mary Skramovsky
Jan 16, 2013 Mary Skramovsky rated it liked it
Shelves:

This is the 2nd book in the Alex Van Helsing series. The first Alex Van Hesling: Vampire Rising, got starred reviews from Library Journal, Starred reviews Voya.
In this installment, Alex is in Glenarvon’s Boarding school for boys. He is in training to become a vampire hunter . His Ancestors were vampire hunters and at age 14 he already knows the difference between good and evil. As he is participating in a live action vampire role playing game, he is chased by his nemesis Elle. Elle is a vampire
Lucia
May 26, 2011 Lucia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read the review and a sneak peek at iLive, iLaugh, iLove Books.

Once again, Jason Henderson does not disappoint with this clean young adult adventure fit for paranormal fans of any age. This title was even better than the first, with an even scarier villain and much higher stakes. New characters are introduced, and several play bigger roles in this one. There's a bigger mystery element in Voice of the Undead, and some characters take a turn for the evil as time goes on.

Alex proves his worth by ke
Kristi Bernard
Aug 19, 2011 Kristi Bernard rated it it was amazing

What is it like to be the great, great, great grandson of the famous vampire slayer Van Helsing? Well, it's exciting! Alex Van Helsing is bacon the hunt for vampires. As a student/agent of the Polidorium, a multinational organization, head-quartered at Lake Geneva. Like his grandfather, Alex has a vampires as his main nemesis. Hiding out amongst other teens at Glenarvon Academy, he passes himself off as just another kid attending a private school.

As the vampire Elle and the Scholomance come afte
Raye
Mar 14, 2015 Raye rated it liked it
Shelves: own
As I said in my review of the first book, Vampire Rising, I wanted to re-read the first two books in this trilogy before reading the final book, The Triumph of Death. I am so glad I decided to do so because I really like these books.

Voice of the Undead is a great sequel, but it’s not as great as the first book. I’m not sure what it is that made me enjoy it less, but when I finished it, I didn’t have the same feeling of excitement. I didn’t want to grab someone and shove this book in their face a
Angie
Apr 22, 2012 Angie rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
I think I would have liked this one more if I'd read the first one more recently. Which is not to say I didn't like it. I did. But I was confused more than once. Kept reading for the general storyline and occasional awesome part (like ... how can I say it without giving away a spoiler ... the unexpected twist in one character that I hope is revisited?). Skimmed over the confusing parts.

I just went back to look at my review of the first and seriously ... cannot remember what the question about Mr
Sep 26, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it
A young adult supernatural series that is actually suitable for young adults. Alex Van Helsing is the most recent heir to the original vampire hunter. In addition to dealing with normal high school problems, such as girls, he also has to worry about being a target for the local vampire population. When a new clan lord arrives in the area, it's up to Alex to find a way not only survive the threat but to save those a around him as well.

Why I gave this 4 stars? It's suitable for most middle school
Paulette Garza
Fourteen year old Alex Van Helsing is related to the famous Van Helsing. He possesses the power to "feel" a vampires presence. This proves useful for vampire hunting and for protection from vampire hunters. This is a fast action novel with lots of action, vampire "deaths" and just a smidge of teen romance, a hint more than a smidge, really. It's the perfect boy book.
I really loved the first book with it's background history on the classic horror authors. This sequel had a great storyline but le
Michael Mcdaid
May 27, 2015 Michael Mcdaid rated it liked it
I really liked the action pack first novel. Alex is of course a vampire hunter, and thought it would pick up where the first one ended. But this is a stand alone novel that has Alex fighting vampires again, but at a much slower pace.
The characters are not as well developed either. I felt maybe we could get a little more about Alex or his friends. I still like the book, and felt it did a good job of being more of the classic vampire stories. But just felt kind of bland at times.
I liked it but fel
Clyde Ruth
Feb 10, 2016 Clyde Ruth rated it really liked it
GOOD, fast paced--a page turner of a vampire book!!
Jan
In the second book in the series, Alex and his friends from school have to relocate to the LaLaurie girls school following a fire that is sort of Alex's fault. At the same time a new vampire known as UltraVox has come to Geneva and is on a secret mission that includes getting rid of Alex. These books are a lot of fun for kids. I think boys and girls would like them. They are also OK for tweens since the characters are 14 years old. Great fun, quick reads.
Beau Brown
Jul 21, 2011 Beau Brown rated it it was amazing
He has brought the good name of vampires back. This is not twilight but some and very little teen romance. I think in many ways the second one is better than the first one. High tech gadgets and lots of action. I recommend to anyone who likes some action, twist, and vampires. The new villian is awesome and very like dracula and the old vampire classics. One of the best books i've ever read no doubt.
Zora Chen
Nov 19, 2012 Zora Chen rated it liked it
Shelves: vampires
The first book is better than this, the second one. I think it could decribe more about the fight between Alex and Ultravox, 'cos it's the final and most important fight.
Other than this, the idea of the curse on Vienna is totally unexpected, but it also makes the story cools down a little bit, if Vienna was a vampire, I think the plotline might be more attractive to me. Just saying :p
Lisa
Nov 18, 2011 Lisa rated it really liked it
This series is SO much fun! More fun, more action and more cool weapons and creepy weird bad stuff going on! Finally get to meet (briefly) Alex's parents and there's a new friend at LaLaurie in the group since the boys have to temporarily move in due to a little fire mishap...that's all I'm going to say!! You go read it!
Tom
Nov 03, 2011 Tom rated it really liked it
I like this series...
simple reads, I like that the words are not overly simplified, that there is some bigger words, the action is simple and easy to follow...some of the character development could be a little smarter... but all and all I give it four stars! GO ALEX!
Mathew Carruthers
Aug 16, 2011 Mathew Carruthers rated it really liked it
Another good offering in the series - am anxiously awaiting publication of the next book. If you understand foreshadowing, it's fairly easy to surmise where the plot is heading - but there are some surprises.
David
May 17, 2012 David rated it it was amazing
TOP SHELF Review from The Monitor, May 17, 2012.

Tracey Weyer
Dec 05, 2013 Tracey Weyer rated it it was amazing
This book was absolutely wonderful. Even though I am not a big fan of vampires these books are absolutely amazing.
Emilia.andrade
Jan 18, 2012 Emilia.andrade rated it it was amazing
I love the scene where Alex is begging Minhi's friend to take of the scarf. Then a shoking reveal...
Allison
Feb 10, 2012 Allison rated it liked it
Good, not great. It took me a bit to get into but I enjoyed the last half.
  • The Complete Sweep Series (Sweep, #1-15)
  • Skeleton Key: The Graphic Novel (Alex Rider: The Graphic Novel, #3)
  • Almost Final Curtain (Vampire Princess of St. Paul, #2)
  • Alyzon Whitestarr
  • Darkfall (Healing Wars, #3)
  • Freakling (Psi Chronicles, #1)
  • Highway to Hell (Maggie Quinn: Girl Vs. Evil #3)
  • Black Halo (Grace, #3)
  • First Kill (The Slayer Chronicles, #1)
  • High School Bites: The Lucy Chronicles
  • Maximum Ride Five-Book Set
  • Jake & The Gingerbread Wars (The Gryphon Chronicles, #3.5)
  • Shadow of the Sun (Timeless, #1)
  • The Ice Dragon (Underworlds, #4)
  • Dandelion Fire (100 Cupboards, #2)
  • Dragon Defender (Dragon Defense League, #1)
  • Goodnight Kiss 2 (Fear Street Superchiller, # 10)
  • Mark of the Rose (Tudor Vampire Chronicles, #3)
209873
I've been writing comics for a long time, and games, and-- well, I write, so there's always *something.* But now I've gotten into modern-day YA novels with the Alex Van Helsing series.
More about Jason Henderson...

Alex Van Helsing (3 books)
  • Vampire Rising (Alex Van Helsing, #1)
  • The Triumph of Death (Alex Van Helsing, #3)