Start by marking “Twelve Mile Limit” as Want to Read:
Twelve Mile Limit

Twelve Mile Limit (Doc Ford Mystery #9)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  1,075 ratings  ·  58 reviews
It starts out as a fun excursion for four divers off the Florida coast. Two days later only one is found alive-naked atop a light tower in the Gulf of Mexico. What happened during those 48 hours? Doc Ford thinks he's prepared for the truth. He isn't.
Published June 3rd 2003 by Berkley Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Twelve Mile Limit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Twelve Mile Limit

Chuck
I have a real weakness for stories that take place, geographically, in areas with which I am familiar and this one happens, for the most part, on the Florida Gulf coast. Have you ever heard the characteristic, "If you ask him the time he will tell you how to make a watch?" You could characterize this author that way. His protagonist is a marine biologist who is hunting for three people lost on the Gulf. During the course of his search he teaches us much more than we need to know about marine lif ...more
Chris Bauer
Cannot stand how GREAT this entire series is.

I can't explain why, but the author's writing style is directly in my wheelhouse. Everything from plot to description to setting to pace to tension to characterization is, to me, just spot on - every time.

White uses several surprising twists to really draw in the reader, punch 'em in the back of the head several times, before showing what was missed earlier in the book.

While his books never end "well" for the protag, there is always an inevitable, ju
Franklin Atherton
One of my favorite parts of a Randy Wayne White thriller is bar-hopping in a boat. I can't remember exactly which one it was that had this unique feature, but, being a fan of bar-hopping in any form, I thought it to be a brilliant idea.

Twelve Mile Limit had yet another different twist on the bar-hop. It was bar-hopping while wandering up and down the beach. Maybe this is a common theme in beach communities, but being a hopeless inlander, I found it different and charming. This bar-hop also had
Barbara
Doc Ford faces a more personal quest in this outing from Florida author Randy Wayne White. Ford investigates the disappearance of four people, one of whom is marina neighbor Janet Mueller, from the Gulf after a wreck dive goes horribly wrong. Rumors begin to spread that the four were somehow involved in either drug trafficking or smuggling, murder, or fraud.

In his attempt to clear the reputations of Janet and the other three divers (Grace, Amelia, and Michael) he travels from Sanibel to South A
Joyce
This novel brought Doc back to his roots. Friends go diving and their boat sinks. Everyone searches for them, however only one is found and she is located on a buoy not particularly close to where the sinking happened. They begin to search for evidence confirming (or denying) her story of what happened. Doc makes use of some of his friends (former compatriots) and learns that two of the other divers were taken aboard a boat and the third shot by the boat captain. It is also obvious that the boat ...more
Scott Rachui
I discovered Randy Wayne White in the late 90s and fell in love with his books. Having visited Florida many times on business, and having been infected with a deep love for the state and its many palm trees, beaches, inlets, natural springs and abundant fishing, I have tried to find every author of Florida fiction I can. Randy Wayne White is perhaps the best I've read (he has been compared to the late John D. MacDonald, in fact).

White has a wide range of interesting and quirky characters, and hi
Donna
Randy Wayne White is becoming one of my favorite authors. Of the 3 I have read, this was the best. Very intricate story-seems far fetched at times, until you reflect on all that is going on in the world these days. Doc Ford is one of my favorite fictional characters. I have visited this area of Florida many times, and love his descriptions of the area. Definitely a page turner!
Kim F
I picked up this book after stopping at Doc Ford's bar and grill on Sanibel Island, not realizing why the name sounded familiar. The author own this place (nice) and has his books up front. White presents a colorful cast of island locals and his protagonist, Doc Ford, a retired government agent turned marine biologist, is an earnest man wrestling with his demons. In this book, he seeks to rescue a friend lost at sea who becomes the victim of a nefarious crime. Along the way, Doc the scientist ta ...more
Southern_man
This was my first Doc Ford book after seeing all the glowing reviews I decided to try one. On the whole it wasn't a bad but way too much detail about everything and anything. I grew bored with the constant explanations. The story itself wasn't bad but then again it was inspired by actual events.

Pat
Story of 4 divers, boat sinks, one swims to a tower, 3 disappear.
Ford with one who swam to tower goes to find the other 3.
Human trafficking in Columbia.
Indigenous people.
Very good.
Story of boat sinking is true.
Much of the rest reflects what is happening today.
Chris Ehmig
Always a great read! RWW educates and entertains with a passion so often imitated but rarely achieved by others.

just great writing! fiction with facts and a little fantasy and I always love catching up with the host of characters in this series.
Chris
I've really been enjoying this series. Randy Wayne White fills each book with all kinds of interesting information - this one is no exception.

When a friend disappears on a dive trip, Doc investigates and uncovers evidence that sends him, once again, to Columbia in South America.

Doc is a well-developed and consistent character and he lives an interesting life as a marine biologist in tight-knit marina community in Florida. Occasionally the stories get bogged down by an abundance of the aforement
Dana Stabenow
Four people go out into the Gulf of Mexico to dive a wreck. Their boat sinks. One is found but three are lost. Or are they? And awaaay we go on a thrill ride with Doc Ford, full-time marine biologist and one-time black ops soldier, with a plot that alternates between learned disquisitions into Gulf of Mexico currents, warm water hypothermia, South American headhunters, Islamic terrorist groups way too close for comfort, and the white slave trade.

I enjoyed Sanibel Island; it reminds me a lot of T
Timothy V.
Came upon Randy Wayne White quite by accident while in Sanibel, Florida. Picked Twelve Mile Limit at random, and really liked it. Mr. White has a very relaxed, readable style. A good book to read on the beach.
Brad
... first book I have read by this author - well-written and tense throughout - my only criticism is that the plot line took a turn toward the absurd in the latter stages
Bea
I like the Doc Ford series, partly because it is about a bunch of people I would like to know and partly because it is set on Sanibel (an island I am familiar with in FL). This particular book took Doc Ford to Colombia, which is outside of the usual FL territory. Still a wonderful tightly written story that kept me interested until the end. Oh, I did figure out the missing shellfish much earlier than Doc Ford!
Rich

As far as these "Doc Ford" novels go I have never had so much fun reading in my life.
David Ward
Twelve Mile Limit (Doc Ford #9) by Randy Wayne White (Berkeley Books 2002)(Fiction - Mystery) is one of if not the best of the Doc Ford stories. This is a rollicking good tale of kidnapping, murder, and a crazed warlord in the jungles of Columbia. It discloses a great deal of information about the protagonist's quasi-governmental military service that is only alluded to in the other volumes. The author reveals that this book is based on the true tale of the sinking of a small boat in the Florida ...more
Linda
I'm a big fan of this series and this is one of the best.
Robin
Wow. It has been a few years since I've read a Doc Ford mystery. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed the smart mix of fascinating characters, intelligent plotlines, pace, and intensity. This book was no exception, and the intensity was even up a few notches from what I remember in previous titles in the series. It was also pretty unique in that many of the events were actually based on fact. Great, great read.
Wanda
To me this was the best of the series. Doc Ford has to confront a person who knows who he was, and lives the life that he himself most fears he could face. One who embraces & nurtures the predator within. It does cause Doc to reflect on how he has been running from himself for years, and makes him pause to reflect.

It is also a great story that was inspired by real events.
Angel
I really enjoy Randy's writing style, as well as him writing about areas of Florida I've been, and love so much. This one was great! And I especially enjoyed the Postscript explaining that the main storyline was based on a real event. I kinda wish I had known that before hand. Great Book. I'll definitely read more of his books.
Les
I really enjoyed the first 3/4 of this book. The main character is thoughtful, and the author provides a lot of detail about characters and events.

The final quarter of the book is like a completely different story. The author takes the same care with the elements of the story, its just not the kind of story I generally go for.

Lynn
Phair
A great Doc Ford adventure. Unbelievable the way White can suck you in and make you care about his characters. My favorites are always the ones where Doc gets back into his old 'professional' mode: favors called in, the contacts, the weird expertise, the moral dilemmas and Twelve Mile had lots of that. Kepp 'em coming, Randy.
Leonard
David Spencer
Only barely serviceable as a vacation book. I try to read one of his books every visit to Sanibel but this one was a chore. I preferred it when Doc Ford was a mystery, with hints of his history peeking through. Putting it all on paper kind of kills the magic a bit.
Joyce
Based on a true incident in the gulf, however all the characters and names have been changed.

This is a local author @ Ft Myers, FL. Used to go there on vacation every year. When I saw this authors name I wanted to read his books for that fact and became hooked.
Scubabarb
Really exciting read! The narrative on the missing divers, based on a true event of four missing Canadian divers, was very thrilling. I also enjoyed the story of Ford's search in Columbia for his friends. Highly recommend this book.
Jenny
Ok, but not great. I'm done reading this author. It's a good plot, based on a true story of 4 scuba divers who are lost at sea. This is the fictionalized story of one plausible scenario. It is set of the coast of Florida.
  • Key West Connection
  • Under Cover of Daylight (Thorn, #1)
  • The Mango Opera
  • Pale Gray for Guilt (Travis McGee #9)
  • Cadillac Beach (Serge Storms, #6)
  • Scavenger Reef
  • Hard Rain (Vin Cooper, #3)
aka Carl Ramm, Randy Striker

Randy Wayne White (born 1950) is an American writer of crime fiction and non-fiction adventure tales. He has written best-selling novels and has received awards for his fiction and a television documentary. He is best known for his series of crime novels featuring the retired NSA agent Doc Ford, a marine biologist living on the Gulf Coast of southern Florida. White has
More about Randy Wayne White...

Doc Ford Mystery (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Sanibel Flats (Doc Ford, #1)
  • The Heat Islands (Doc Ford, #2)
  • The Man Who Invented Florida
  • Captiva
  • North of Havana
  • The Mangrove Coast
  • Ten Thousand Islands
  • Shark River
  • Everglades
  • Tampa Burn
Sanibel Flats (Doc Ford, #1) Deep Shadow (Doc Ford, #17) Captiva The Heat Islands (Doc Ford, #2) Ten Thousand Islands

“Anger is a common derivative of fear.” 1 likes
“Tomlinson often refers to her as living proof of his own private theory: The world’s most beautiful women are always well into their thirties, forties, or fifties because only the experience of living and prevailing day after day can provide the necessary emotional texture and depth of understanding that Tomlinson’s definition of “beauty” requires.” 1 likes