3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  2,062 ratings  ·  106 reviews
Palindrome

When both your past and future spell fear.

Award-winning author Stuart Woods has crafted a masterful novel no reader will soon forget. For years, Liz Barwick has been battered by her brutal husband, a famous pro football player. This time it takes an emergency room to keep her from death. Now the beautiful and talented photographer retreats to an island paradise o...more
Published August 31st 2010 by Harper (first published January 1st 1991)

Cathy DuPont
Aug 27, 2013 Cathy DuPont rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one I like!
I reckon this will definately be my last Stuart Woods book. And I reckon I said that before but it was strongly suggested by a friend who knows that I loved his book Chiefs, which, by the way, was great.

As another reviewer put it, Woods sold out to the company, writing two books a year, none of which are a half way decent read. So I reckon you guys who read a lot will see through this one quickly. It was just bad and barely readable.

Enough said, don't have time to pan this book much. If you read...more
B.R. Stateham
This was excellent. A captivating read of a double mystery which, in the end, merges together for a very sad, but satisfying, conclusion.

My compliments to Stuart Woods. He was recommended tome by a fellow reader and I'm glad I picked the novel up to read. I think I might turn out to be a fan. Especially so if he can weave a complex plot in the next novel as he did in this one.

Gotta say, it's a wonderful feeling when you discover an author who writes this well.
Michelle
Since this is the first book I read by Woods, I wasn't sure what to expect, but I definitely didn't expect what 'Palindrome' delivered--it was great. It had all the things I look for in a book, great characters-- whom you're truly interested in, multiple story lines, wonderful plot twists, and the best of all when you--the reader--think you have it all figured out....nope you don't.

If you haven't read this book go and get a copy however you can, because you wont be disappointed! Great read and...more
Ashley
I have only read a couple of Stuart Woods' stand alone books both of which I enjoyed. I do beieve that they were from earlier in his writing career before Stone became his cash-cow. (Don't get me wrong.. I devour most of the Stone novels, but I am looking for a fast, easy read to kill time in a doctor's office or somewhere)
I wasn't sure what to expect from this book ("White Cargo" took me several days to read and "Imperfect Strangers" took me a night.) Fast read? Plodding story line? I didn't ev...more
Tanya
Nothing like the book Under the Lake by Stuart Woods. After that book I read a lot of his books but recently stopped since it's the same plot book to book. This book was an older book and I was surprised I never read it. It was a good book but not many twists or turns. You knew right away who the killer was. It was an interesting twist with the twins but I wished he would've of gave more of a back round information on their story. Over all a good book that made me keep reading.
Lyndsy
This book is incredible. I like Stuart Woods' series books, but they get a certain routine to them after a while. This one, a standalone, is AMAZING. You spend a lot of time wondering if you have it right in your head, only to learn something new that makes you second-guess yourself.

You really get to know the characters as well, which is my favorite part of a story.
Negirlb152
Author - uses "I reckon" so many time in his books -
even if the character is a Harvard Grad!

UGH - I want to cross out every I reckon in his books..........
Glen Spurlock
Review based on audio book.

This is the second time I visited Palindrome. The first was the traditional paper novel, which I enjoyed. But, maybe I enjoyed it because I grew up in the Piedmont Hospital neighborhood, and had camped on Cumberland Island.

The second time was an audio book that I listened to while walking in preparation to a hiking trip. I had several problems with the novel, this time.

First problem, was that maybe this should be called an alternative novel, since the plot deviates so...more
Whitney
This was a quick beach read--a little cheesy for me
Sharon
When Liz Barwick manages to escape her violent husband, she is finally breathing easy on Cumberland. However, people from her past are dying in rather grisly ways ... even as she tries to reclaim her life with handsome Keir, one of the Drummond twins, whose father owns Cumberland.

The book is more than 20 years old, so some of the issues may feel a little dated. The suspense, however, is right on as we watch Baker Ramsay, Liz' ex, do everything he can to get revenge on her for leaving. The situat...more
Will
Jun 09, 2013 Will rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adventure book lovers
Liz Barwick, Cumberland Island and split personalities. Liz Barwick is brutally attacked by her hyped-up NFL husband Bake Ramsey, and makes it to a hospital for surgical recovery. She enlists the assistance of cuthroat attorney Al Shaefer and her publisher Ray Ferguson to make a clean break from Ramsey and hides out on Cumberland Island to recover and start her new life. She becomes ensnared in the family web of the island's patriarch Angus Drummond, and soothes bad memories with his grandson Ke...more
Gloria
A famous football player, a battered wife, lovely island, and puzzling murders converge in this suspenseful novel. On the mainland, there are several murders that a disenchanted police detective is trying to solve as well as save his own career. On the island live a complex family with secrets that reach far into the past. Liz Barlock, a beautiful and talented photographer, is the connection. While the reader is likely to connect the clues, this remains an entertaining read with a healthy dose o...more
Ann Reed
Palindrome

again,woods has surpassed himself.
a woman fleeing her past and steroid crazed husband ends up hiding while he kills everyone who helped her.
she winds up on a beautiful island where strange things happen also
Meakin
A really really good read with enough hints of reality to make it believable. Stuart Woods has a winner in this one. Lindsey's earlier review said she really got to know the characters in this book. She hit it dead on. That's so true.
Sharon
What a gripping story! From the opening, where a severely battered woman stumbles into the emergency room, to the end ... after 5 murders, a wild chase and an encounter with an alligator, it kept me riveted.
Palindrome is a mile a minute thrill ride on the express train to cliche. Yet somehow amidst the whirl of 'roid raging pro-ball exes, scrappy divorce lawyers, and the inevitable we're-in-the-South-the-climax-must-have-a-hurricane, Palindrome manages to transcend the formula and become a pretty damn good book. Most of the credit goes to Woods' genius setting - putting the action on Cumberland Island grounds it in a fascinating history that helps cover for what the narrative lacks in, oh, likelih...more
Dreama
May 03, 2014 Dreama marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stuart-woods
Own. Haven't read. 05/02/14
Shanon
Recommended to me by my eye doctor. He said he when recommends this to women that they all love it. I'd say it was ok....About an abused wife of a professional football player all pumped up on steroids and very agressive and mean. One night it made me dream I was being chased!
Interesting place and life she obtains after leaving him by going to the secluded Comerland Island to take photographs for a book she's writing about it. I wish more of the story would have taken place there (the source of...more
Mardy
I liked this one. Set on a remote island off the coast of Georgia, it's references to the preservation of it as well as it's conspicuous digs about Hilton Head were of personal interest. The mystery aspect of it held my attention to the end.
J Dale Breedlove
One of Mr. Woods' better written and plotted books. For years I've been reading his Stone Barrington series. Which is great for simple easy fun. But this book was a surprise in the character development and length of story. At times, the story did drag, but I liked the two major plots combining towards the end. And also liked the police procedural part of the story.

If you want a change from the Stone Barrington formula, give this a try.
Bryant Whelan
This is the 2nd book I ever read by Stuart Woods, and in my opinion was his best. As he continued to write I read it all, and now the formulaic style of his books makes me skip them over in the new releases section at the library. I understand that he has to make a living and these write themselves, literally, but Palindrome shows the real talent. Don't let his current work keep you from checking this one out.
Emily Higgins
Liz Barwick is savagely beaten by her football player husband. She manages to escape him and eventually divorce him. Not willing to give up what he sees as his, he kills those who helped her and tracks her down on Cumberland Island. This novel is an intriguing tale of violence, family loyalties and dysfunctional people. Disturbing, but you find you can't put it down until you reach the end.
Joe White
Somewhat unbelievable plot and characters, but not as bad as sci-fi. Action tempo kept pace up through end of book, without unrealistic physical shoot-ups. Too much evil infallible technique capability given to bad guy. Setting characters were stretched beyond psychological believability, and historical wealth, but did fit nicely as background and secondary story.
Kelly
I read Palindrome back in high school and recently read it again. It's set on beautiful Cumberland Island off the coast of Georgia, which is mostly natural and free from development. I visited once a long time ago, and would love to go back some day. This is a quick read, a fun and suspenseful mystery with a great atmosphere. Loved it!
Betsy
Kimberly Thompson
I give all Stuart Woods books a 4 out of 5. His books aren't deep or unique, but are always page turners. When I'm want to read something light on vacation or I'm sick of TV and I can't watch another episode of Law and Order or CSI- I can pick up one of his crime novels and I will never be dissappointed. I'm always entertained.
Brenda
Apr 06, 2012 Brenda rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
I would give this 3.5 stars if I could. I liked the descriptions of Cumberland Island and the character of Angus Drummond. I'm not sure if I would have liked it more if the story had been fleshed more or if it had been more condensed. It wasn't bad but it wasn't completely fulfilling either.
Hilary LiDestri
This is one of my favorite books by Stuart and while he is one of my all time favorite writers, I think I'm a bit burned. Maybe just envious of someone that can churn out a book every seven months. This is not a Stone Barrington or Wil Lee book and it's really rather fascinating.
Steve
Nov 26, 2013 Steve marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
One of the sub plots is professional football players and their fighting their demons off the field, and losing. I enjoyed the island history and the sense of land and time.

11-1-2013 I just checked it out but I think I've read it twice already.
But I didn't log it in.
Mikeuma05
This is one of my favorite Stuart Woods books. The book started off slow as I've noticed most of his books do, but the last 100 pages changed and the book became a gripping page turner. There were so many surprises and plot twists at the end.. and was certainly entertained.
  • Man In The Middle (Sean Drummond, #6)
  • One Night Stands and Lost Weekends
  • Try Fear
  • The Cabal
  • The Berlin Conspiracy (Jack Teller, #1)
  • The Harry Bosch Novels, Volume 2: The Last Coyote / Trunk Music / Angels Flight (Harry Bosch, #4-6)
  • Now & Then (Spenser, #35)
  • Deep Black (Deep Black, #1)
  • Watch Them Die
  • The Nanny Murders (A Zoe Hayes Mystery #1)
  • Stand By Your Hitman (Bombay Assassins, #3)
  • The Undertaker's Widow
  • Savannah Comes Undone
  • Dead Hunt (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation #5)
  • The Increment
  • Noir: A Novel
  • The Talbot Odyssey
  • The Frightened Man (Denton, #1)
Stuart Woods is the author the New York Times-bestselling Stone Barrington series and Holly Barker series. He is an avid private pilot, flying his own jet on book tours. You may see his tour schedule and learn more about the author on his website.

More about Stuart Woods...
New York Dead (Stone Barrington, #1) Blood Orchid (Holly Barker #3) Orchid Beach (Holly Barker, #1) L.A. Dead (Stone Barrington, #6) Lucid Intervals (Stone Barrington, #18)