Start by marking “Undiscovered Gyrl: The novel that inspired the movie ASK ME ANYTHING” as Want to Read:
Undiscovered Gyrl: The novel that inspired the movie ASK ME ANYTHING

Undiscovered Gyrl: The novel that inspired the movie ASK ME ANYTHING

3.70  ·  Rating Details  ·  757 Ratings  ·  127 Reviews
Only on the internet can you have so many friends and be so lonely.

Beautiful, wild, funny, and lost, Katie Kampenfelt is taking a year off before college to find her passion. Ambitious in her own way, Katie intends to do more than just smoke weed with her boyfriend, Rory, and work at the bookstore. She plans to seduce Dan, a thirty-two-year-old film professor.

Katie chroni
Published August 11th 2009 by Vintage

To ask other readers questions about Undiscovered Gyrl, please sign up.

Gabriella I have not read the book, but based on what I saw in the movie I would say no depending on how sheltered they are.

Jessica Shaw
Jul 22, 2015 Jessica Shaw rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am one of the few people out there who actually enjoys seeing the movie first and reading the book after. I stumbled upon Ask Me Anything on Netflix one late night and was completely captivated. I was instantly taken with how realistic the characters were, being in my late 20's I could completely connect with Katie's emotions and actions. Once the film was over I immediately needed more of the story and ordered the book.

As with the film I was enthralled in the story. Burnett has an uncanny abi
Serra Swift
Mar 31, 2010 Serra Swift rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people interested in teen culture and blogging; readers who enjoyed "Go Ask Alice"
Emily
Jul 01, 2009 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009, arc
First thing's first: The "gyrl" thing bugs me. In fact, there are a lot of things that stem from the blog format that bug me. I cringed at the typos. Is it too much to ask for our heroine to use Firefox?

So this book started out as a set of entertaining blog entries from a 17 year old who is fooling around with someone 15 years her senior. I might have related to that just a bit. But it didn't take long for me to lose my ability to relate to "Katie". It took a turn for the serious, as she became
Amashi
I find it very difficult to explain my opinion.
This book is good but it contains too many complications.
And I think Katie's character is enigmatic. I couldn't comprehend what she really wanted with her life. I assume her traumatic past is the reason for her perplexing behavior.
I wish Katie was a bit more strong and focused.
E. Anderson
Aug 31, 2009 E. Anderson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was sucked into this voyeuristic mess from page one. Katie Kampenfelt is seventeen, and already everthing our mothers warned us about. Her blog chronicles her excessive drinking and drug use, her sexcapades with her boyfriend and the older man she's sleeping with, and fantasies about her boss. The style, while gimmicky, is relevant - everyone has a blog, everyone thinks their life is newsworthy. And while Katie's blog is indeed different from the rest, what she's writing is nothing you would w ...more
Aerin
From the publisher:

It seems like a great idea, an awesome book along the lines of If I Stay or Wintergirls . Just watch the trailer.

The publisher continues:

Katie chronicles her adventures in an anonymou
Danna
Jan 08, 2011 Danna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Throughout most of the book, I was mostly irritated with the main character. I felt like it was the author's perverse fantasy of a teenage sexpot rather than a realistic account of a troubled 17-year-old. He also wrote the story in a way that was very predictable. It was very clear how the story would unfold with each new character. That is, predictable until the end, when it gets flipped upside down and abruptly ends with no closure. The ending left me feeling unsettled and confused, liking the ...more
Kelsi
May 25, 2010 Kelsi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This seems like a real account of someone you probably know. A real girl telling a real story about something that could really happen. But yet, it's never really boring. Burnett writes it in a way that feels like you're sharing juicy gossip with one of your best girlfriends, constantly.

Definitely a chick book. Or maybe even a very sensitive boy book. But classified by gender or not, it's a story that will actually bring up true emotions and maybe even make you remember painful anecdotes of your
Rachel
May 05, 2015 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you liked John Green's character Alaska, from "Looking for Alaska", then you will probably like this book. I only gave it 4 of 5 stars because some parts of the book felt forced. Like the constant use of "Ha!" or "gyrl". Other than that I would definitely recommend this book.

At first I just shook my head at Katie and all of her terrible decisions. But as you read more and more you start to learn more about her character and begin to understand some of what she does. And strangely enough I was
Trupti Dorge
Aug 10, 2009 Trupti Dorge rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own
What attracted me to Undiscovered Gyrl was the premise. It’s about a girl who blogs anonymously and supposedly with honesty. She is a 17 year old teenager who lives her life without really thinking of the consequences. She has a boyfriend Rory who is more or less her age and she is also having an affair with an older guy whom she calls Dan and who already has a girlfriend. She takes a year off before joining college because she feels she isn’t ready.

She calls herself Katie. Although Katie lives
Cheyanne
WARNING!! CONTAINS SPOILERS!!

When I first opened the book I thought, "Oh no, not another book in blog." I bought the book without opening it and sampling it. When I was in the store I turned it over and saw that it was a modern Lolita. That was enough for me to buy it. Lolita is my favorite book. But then I saw that the book was one long blog.

After about 100 pages I finally let myself get absorbed. Although, it was pretty childish in story and writing, I loved her brutal honesty. I wish I could
Lilibeth
Aug 18, 2009 Lilibeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, for once I'm going to skip to my own little made-up synopsis. There are four specific words that sum up this story, in a nutshell: crudely honest yet deceitful. Straight-up. The fact that it's written in blog-format is just a bonus, I swear. By the time you get through the first few posts of self-knowing to self-questing, you're hooked. I got a head-ache from reading straight from the start to page 174. ('Course, that could have been also because it was the middle of the night.) The sexual ...more
Kelly Hager
May 09, 2010 Kelly Hager rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure what to say about this book. It's a compelling read, to say the very least. It's definitely good. But the word that I keep coming back to is "disturbing."

A blurb on the back says it's basically an updated Lolita, except that she's telling her own story on a blog. For me, though, it reminded me of Blake Nelson's Girl. That one was about a freshman in high school and Undiscovered Gyrl is about a girl who should be a freshman in college, but she deferred her acceptance for a year.

Throu
Grady
Oct 24, 2009 Grady rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Allison Burnett: The Master of Identities

Allison Burnett is able to absorb every facet of his created characters so completely that each of his books gives the reader the feeling that the first person narrator is the actual writer. Visit his previous books - CHRISTOPHER: A TALE OF SEDUCTION and THE HOUSE BEAUTIFUL - and try to be convinced that the idiosyncratic characters are not real and writing their own memoirs. Now in UNDISCOVERED GYRL Burnett further challenges himself by writing a novel i
Trisha W.
This is a difficult review to write. While I liked the book a lot it was still different.
I liked it because it was written in blog form. I have read books written like diaries but never blogs.
Some other things I liked is that the author makes you feel for Katie. She is a troubled teen who drinks, smokes, has a bad relationship with her father, and sleeps with older men. You can't help but feel sorry for her.
Saying this, there are some things in the book that were very bold and detailed. Like Kat
Caitlin
Jun 30, 2009 Caitlin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
I got this from ShelfAwareness. It was an easy read - breezed through it in a day. I understand that the movie rights have already been sold & they are making a movie of this with Miley Cyrus in the lead role which seems appropriate.

This is a series of blog entries which on the surface sounds like it might be something different & cool, but in reality reads just like any other book done in diary form. The story is pretty basic & the characters are fairly stereotypical. I didn't reall
Michael
The back cover for "Undiscovered Gyrl" declares "only on the Internet can you have so many friends and be so lonely."

That statement sums up a lot of the life of first-person narrator, Katie Kampenfelt. Katie has decided to defer her college for a year to find out what she really wants to do in life. She chronicles this journey via her popular blog that picks up a lot of hits, comments and e-mails about Katie and her lifestyle.

"Undiscovered Gyrl" is told in the conversational style of a personal
Alisha B
Dec 07, 2009 Alisha B rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Honestly, I was surprised by the book. It’s set up as a blog-to-book, and in it you watch as the narrator (the definition of the “unreliable narrator” to be sure) grows as a blogger, and disintegrates in some ways as a person. The idea of being able to be completely open in the anonymity is, at first, a relief and exciting thing for her, later it seems to be something that pushes her to more extreme and outrageous behavior… if for no other reason than to get a reaction from her readers.

Personall
Cherise
17 year old Amy has just decided not to go to college for a year and to kill time she begins to write a blog. Writing under the name of Katie she begins to amuse her readers with tantalizing tidbits of her life. By changing names and pertinent facts she is able to keep her sordid tales about sex, drugs, drinking, and the dysfunctional relationship with her parents and much older men, anonymous.

Amy longs to be discovered and truly loved, but there is so much about herself and life she needs to d
Oct 20, 2015 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't expecting much, but as the story unfolded it sucks you in. It's raw and unapologetic. Teenagers are naive, and quite rightly so it's their innocence. All boys and men that young females encounter can destroy them in many ways so easily so effortlessly. Katie from what I could interpret was hurt young, before she even knew how to comprehend pain or hurt. As time passes this seed that had been planted grew alongside her, and she lived in its shadow.
Its roots embedded themselves and manif
Kellyreaderofbooks
Written in blog form, this book is about a lonely, self-destructive teenage girl. When the book (or blog;-) starts, the un-named protaganist is at a stand still in her life: no ambition for college, doesn't want to work, feels she's been left behind while most of her friends go on to college. As the story goes on, her life starts to spiral more and more out of control. All the while, she's blogging it all for her reader's to get the inside view.

I read this book straight through in one day. Once
roulette
Jun 01, 2015 roulette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I tend to prefer reading books before watching movie adaptations. I ran into the movie "Ask Me Anything" on Netflix and stopped halfway through, deciding I ought to give the book a try. I'm certainly glad I did; ultimately I got through it in an entire day. Once again, I always say that easy reads are good reads, even though that's not the only criteria.

Yeah, some of the language was a little bit cringeworthy. But what I found really interesting was that this story wasn't overwhelmingly poetic,
Kerry Kenney
Jul 26, 2009 Kerry Kenney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This is a fairly bold, explicit book, not because of the content, but because of the heroine. In the tradition of "Go Ask Alice" by Anonymous, this book is written from the first person perspective of a 17 year old girl. She starts a journal and angles it to maximize attention and shock from her readers with her candor and her dangerous, risky sexual escapades. This is not a titillating book, it's a sad book. Over and over your heart will break for the honestly authentic voice of the main charac ...more
Courtney Fongheiser
This book is one of my favorites in my collection. It’s not like the other stories I hoard. I didn’t know about the book until after I watched the film adaption “Ask Me Anything” starring Britt Robertson. I love the movie so much I watched over and over. You could imagine my excitement when I discovered it was based off of a book. I devoured the book in two sittings.

Katie Kampenfelt, the main character, is one of my favorite literary characters. I connect with her more than any other female cha
Anne
Nov 05, 2009 Anne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Wow. What a book. This is a story about a 17/18 year old girl - it is told in blog form. The main character is not a likable person. She is on the verge of becoming an alcoholic and is quite mean to friends and family. There are a lot of similarities between her and her father. This is good for a quick read. Spoiler Alert (sorta of): The reason for the 3 star is because of the ending. It seems like a cheap shot by the author.
Armando
I believe it was entertaining because it talks about sex, drugs, and anything that would catch a teen's attention. It didn't only catch my attention just because of the sex, it caught my attention because it addresses real problems and situations teens go through. It wouldn't recommend it to a friend because I was expecting a much better ending to the novel.
Jamshid Faryar
Jan 03, 2010 Jamshid Faryar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even while she is being self-destructive, the 17/18 year-old author of the "blog," that is the text of this book, is self-aware, sexy and funny. Surprisingly, we think we get to know her and the people she writes about pretty well... but this is a blog, after all, on the internet, and we shouldn't be surprised if it's not "reality".
Stephanie Tate
Jun 14, 2015 Stephanie Tate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved it! The protagonist is captivating, and you can't help but be drawn into her drama. You spend a good third of the book furious with her for doing what she does, but she still manages to make you care about her. The ending killed my soul a little, but the writing is superb. Well done! :)
Joanne
Oct 20, 2015 Joanne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Written in blog format, this book could be read in a single day. The blog is written by a teen - "Katie" - who is taking some time off between high school and college in an effort to find her passion and decide what she wants to do with her future. Often times, the blog is difficult to read; its extremely provocative and the frequent self-destructive actions of this teenager (and of the creepy men she seduces) is just appalling and very sad. Throughout the read, I vacillated between not liking t ...more
Allison
May 03, 2014 Allison rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
I had an ARC of this book, so the blurb on the back made me think the subject matter would be a little different. Though it wasn't what I was expecting, the book still grabbed me from the beginning. It's written in blog format, which means the narrator is a little annoying, since she's a 17-year-old girl. She's full of herself and thinks she's the hottest girl, excuse me - girl, ever, and nothing bad can happen to her. Like a blog, it was still interesting enough to keep reading. You feel like y ...more
  • My So-Called Ruined Life (Tate McCoy, #1)
  • A Royal Pain (Elizabeth, #3)
  • Campari for Breakfast
  • Saving Halloween
  • It's Not About Him (Second Glances, #2)
  • Love, Lies and Texas Dips (The Debs, #2)
  • The Triple Bind: Saving Our Teenage Girls from Today's Pressures
  • Creepers
Allison Burnett grew up in Evanston, Illinois, the son of a clinical psychologist and a Northwestern University professor. After graduating from Northwestern, he was a fellow of the Lila Acheson Wallace Playwriting Program at the Juilliard School. His novels include Christopher (a finalist for the 2004 PEN Center USA Literary Award), The House Beautiful, Undiscovered Gyrl, and Death By Sunshine.

Hi
More about Allison Burnett...

“Only on the Internet can a person be lonely and popular at the same time.” 68 likes
“Once I entered the house late at night and overheard Mark and my mom having sex by the fireplace. She was moaning like she was flying on a magic carpet. I almost puked into the kitchen sink. I would give anything for her to dump him. Jade’s mom says it will never happen because women over 45 have a better chance of getting blown up by a terrorist than finding a man. Haha! If I ever get that desperate, I will buy a giant vibrator and never leave the house.” 0 likes