Start by marking “The Divine Husband” as Want to Read:
The Divine Husband

The Divine Husband

One of the most talented and award-winning writers of his generation, Francisco Goldman’s third novel, The Divine Husband, appeared to wide and rapturous acclaim. Beginning with a single, possibly scandalous love poem by Jose Marti, Cuba’s greatest revolutionary-poet-hero with an infamous secret love life, The Divine Husband is the story of Maria de las Nieves Moran, a for ...more
Published August 17th 2005 by Grove Press (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Divine Husband, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Divine Husband

Itziar Fernandez
Mar 23, 2008 Itziar Fernandez rated it liked it
I am currently reading this book. It is very interesting, as it depicts my country, Guatemala, in the time of Justo Rufino Barrios. I pertains to the time Jose Marti spent in Guatemala, and as I enjoy poetry it is an interesting novel of the time. However, it is not a fast paced reading and at times it becomes repetitive.
Natalia
Mar 26, 2011 Natalia rated it it was ok
The beginning of this book held lots of promise with its turn of the century settings and introduction of the main cast, namely Maria de Las Nieves, as they discover their paths in life and love. I especially enjoyed the relationship between Maria and her 'frenemy' Paquita; they were almost like sisters yet were inclined to their very different opinions that led to their eventual estrangement.
However, once the middle of the book was reached, I felt it began to go in different directions as it
Katherine
May 29, 2011 Katherine rated it really liked it
This was a wonderful intense story of María de las Nieves, an unconventional woman from the late 19th century whose life weaves in and out with Jose Martí, Man of Poetry and Freedom. Francisco Goldman's writing style is intense, non-linear and descriptive in the most detailed way. It was hard to say in which direction the story was heading, but with patience and commitment, everything comes together in the second part of the book. And when you finally read all the way to the end, you start ...more
Meghan
Sep 29, 2012 Meghan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-favorites
I truly believe that books speak to you, a lot of times in ways that the author least expected, and this was one of those books. I will warn you, though, that the first couple of chapters can be a bit off-putting because, for me, it was hard to get into at first. I can't give up on a book, though. It is impossible. I merely take a break, placing it on my bedside table so that I can pick it up again in a few days or weeks and begin again. I am so glad that I did that with this one. The story ...more
Tom
Dec 12, 2009 Tom rated it liked it
Set in Central America and New York in the late 19th Century, this is the story of Maria de las Nieves Moran, a clever, strong-willed girl of mixed heritage--half Irish-American, half Mayan Indian. In childhood, she and her closest friend, Paquita, discovered the pleasures of making themselves sneeze with fibers of wool extracted from their clothing. When Paquita, at age 12, began to return the attentions of a rapacious Liberal reformer nicknamed El Anticristo, Maria de las Nieves made Paquita ...more
Maria
Mar 20, 2015 Maria rated it it was ok
I love Francisco Goldman's non-fiction work and I was intrigued by the idea of a novel about the poet and revolutionary hero José Martí. So I was disappointed that this novel didn't live up to its promise. Still, it's not bad as a source of interesting factoids about Central America at the end of the 19th century.
Carmen
Nov 16, 2008 Carmen rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people riding public transport
I picked this up in a school staff lounge. Teachers generally have very good taste, and this one was no exception. It had a wonderful gaggle of colorful and three dimensional characters, lots of historical details. Up until the end, it was a great page turner. The end was a little weak, but other 95% was so strong, it really didn't subtract from my enjoyment very much.
Molly
Jan 09, 2009 Molly rated it liked it
Fascinating in its intricate engagement with social, political, and cultural forces at play in a historic period in Guatemala and, to some extent, New York. Not one of my favorites, though. It was a bit of a disappointment after reading Goldman's outstanding Long Night of the White Chickens.
Carolina
Feb 14, 2012 Carolina rated it liked it
The Divine Husband alternated, for me, between an engaging historical and novelistic narrative to a rambling, almost mundane story. For this, I found it mostly enjoyable, but flawed. Perhaps Goldman would have benefited by more rigorous editing.
Libby
Dec 10, 2008 Libby rated it liked it
Interesting exposure to the history of Latin America from a fictional standpoint, but not a favorite of mine.
Kerry
Jul 11, 2009 Kerry rated it liked it
Convoluted and humorous, set in 19th century Guatemala, it follows the story of Maria de las Nieves and her many suitors. Not a quick or easy read but well worth the time.
Jane
Apr 06, 2011 Jane rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this historical novel. It had several of my "favorites": a latino landscape, a touch of mystic, and interesting female characters.
Wythe Marschall
Wythe Marschall rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2009
Julie
Julie rated it liked it
Jun 28, 2009
Cate Molina
Cate Molina rated it did not like it
May 12, 2008
Dorothy
Dorothy rated it really liked it
Nov 13, 2007
Heather
Apr 19, 2011 Heather rated it it was ok
Read this in a graduate class. It was strange, and that's what made it interesting.
Thomas Fyke
Thomas Fyke rated it really liked it
Jul 02, 2007
Jake
Jake rated it liked it
Sep 23, 2012
Mae
Mae rated it liked it
Dec 01, 2010
Jaime
Jaime rated it it was ok
Oct 21, 2008
Twofloods Flood
Twofloods Flood rated it liked it
Dec 13, 2011
Michelle
Michelle rated it liked it
Jun 03, 2013
Katherine
Katherine rated it it was ok
May 02, 2011
Charles
Charles rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2014
Alicia Vogl Saenz
Alicia Vogl Saenz rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2007
April
April rated it it was ok
May 18, 2015
Tiadebella
Tiadebella rated it liked it
Mar 13, 2011
Kim
Kim rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2015
Judy
Judy rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Beast Of Renald (The Northern Knights, #3)
  • If I Only Had a Duke (The Disgraceful Dukes, #2)
  • Seducing the Beast (Taming the Tudor Male in Three Easy Lessons #1)
  • The Tutor (Harlequin Blaze, #552)
  • Compañeras: Zapatista Women's Stories
  • What a Woman Desires
  • Never Kiss a Stranger (Foxe Sisters Trilogy, #1)
  • The Tango Singer: A Novel
  • Two Turtledoves (The House of Renwick)
  • Bride of the Lion
  • Between a Rake and a Hard Place (The Royal Rakes, #3)
  • Tinisima
  • The Keeper of the Stones (Jake West, #1)
  • My Enchanting Hoyden (Once Upon a Rogue, #3)
  • Her Eternal Rogue
  • Once an Heiress (Once A..., #2)
  • The Spinster Bride
  • Los años con Laura Díaz
Francisco Goldman is an American novelist, journalist, and 'maestro', at Fundación Nuevo Periodismo Iberoamericano (FNPI), the journalism school for Latin-America created by Gabriel García Márquez. Goldman is also known as Francisco Goldman Molina, "Frank" and "Paco".

He was born in Boston, Massachusetts, to a Guatemalan mother and Jewish-American father. His first novel, The Long Night of White Ch
More about Francisco Goldman...

“I can go years thinking that it seems impossible that I will ever satisfy that appetite again and then it is easy to satisfy and no one notices or cares, nor does it make me happy, when loneliness surrounds me like water I've already drowned in without dying.” 8 likes