Start by marking “Cosmos, Chaos and the World to Come: The Ancient Roots of Apocalyptic Faith” as Want to Read:
Cosmos, Chaos and the World to Come: The Ancient Roots of Apocalyptic Faith

Cosmos, Chaos and the World to Come: The Ancient Roots of Apocalyptic Faith

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  86 ratings  ·  5 reviews
In this engrossing book, the author of the classic work The Pursuit of the Millennium investigates the origins of apocalyptic faith - the belief in a perfect future, when the forces of good are victorious over the forces of evil. Norman Cohn takes us back two thousand years to the world views of ancient Egypt, Mesopotamia, and India, the innovations of Iranian and Jewish p ...more
Paperback, Second Edition, 256 pages
Published August 11th 2001 by Yale University Press (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Cosmos, Chaos and the World to Come, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cosmos, Chaos and the World to Come

Joshua
While I really wanted to give this four stars, there was just too much that annoyed me. And I'm not talking about the fact that the whole premise of the book is to prove that modern Judaism, Islam, and Christianity are essentially off-shoots Zoroastrianism. Personally, I think that has little bearing on my faith in general. Also, to deny an influence of Zoroastrianism on Judaism, Islam, and Christianity would be ridiculous; however, that does not mean, as he heavily implies throughout the book, ...more
Cooper Cooper
Norman Cohn, Oxford historian and author of the fascinating In Pursuit of the Millenium, in this more recent book attempts to sort out the origins of the ideas behind apocalypse. In his words:

This book is concerned with a major turning-point in the history of human consciousness: it tries to describe how the destiny of the world and of human beings came to be imagined in a new way, and how these new expectations began to spread abroad.

He starts by examining the religious beliefs of the ancien
David
More accessible for me than his "Pursuit of the Millennium" Cohn here explores the connection between Zoroastrianism and the western concept of the End of the World, Judgment Day, etc. Sounds a little dry from my description but trust me, an excellent read from an author with deep knowledge of the subject and a talent for sharing it.
Elfie
I like Norman Cohn a lot (unfortunately he is no longer with us) - always excellent scholarship presented in an easily comprehensible, well structured way. This book was of course particularly relevant when we were waiting to ring in the new millennium, but it has not lost its value now that we are in it!
Sally
Arresting, well-written; an exceptional book. It is a consideration of where the idea of the millennium or end of history came from (the Zoroastrians are the culprits).
Adalis
Adalis marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2015
Benedikt Vésteinsson
Benedikt Vésteinsson marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Jeremy Maddux
Jeremy Maddux marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Jordan
Jordan marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Luiza Baldessar
Luiza Baldessar marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Jake Chamberlain
Jake Chamberlain marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Die
Die marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
Nurgul Tastandiyeva
Nurgul Tastandiyeva marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2015
Mars
Mars marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Aaron Mcnully
Aaron Mcnully marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
A. Kaluza
A. Kaluza marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Tsf
Tsf marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Efi
Efi marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Orde
Orde marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Christine
Christine is currently reading it
May 01, 2015
Patrick
Patrick marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Stephanie McGarrah
Stephanie McGarrah marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
Adel Orozco
Adel Orozco marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Maxwell
Maxwell marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Secret King: The Myth and Reality of Nazi Occultism
  • The Secret Destiny of America
  • Cunning Folk and Familiar Spirits: Shamanistic Visionary Traditions in Early Modern British Witchcraft and Magic
  • The Apocalyptic Imagination: An Introduction to Jewish Apocalyptic Literature
  • Turn Off Your Mind: The Mystic Sixties & the Dark Side of the Age of Aquarius
  • Anti-Judaism: The Western Tradition
  • A General Theory of Magic
  • Hallucinogens and Shamanism
  • Black Sun: Aryan Cults, Esoteric Nazism, and the Politics of Identity
  • Ficando longe do fato de já estar meio que longe de tudo
  • The God Problem: How a Godless Cosmos Creates
  • Hamlet's Mill: An Essay Investigating  the Origins of Human Knowledge & Its Transmission Through Myth
  • A History of the End of the World: How the Most Controversial Book in the Bible Changed the Course of Western Civilization
  • TechGnosis: Myth, Magic & Mysticism in the Age of Information
  • Explaining Postmodernism: Skepticism and Socialism from Rousseau to Foucault
  • Introducing Baudrillard (Introducing)
  • The Canon of the New Testament: Its Origin, Development, and Significance
  • The Beginnings of Rome: Italy from the Bronze Age to the Punic Wars, Ca 1,000-264 BC (History of the Ancient World)
Jewish academic, historian and writer who spent fourteen years as a professorial fellow and as Astor-Wolfson Professor at the University of Sussex in the United Kingdom.

His main subject were the connection between medievel anti-semitism and contemporary anti-semitismn.

More about Norman Cohn...
Pursuit of the Millennium: Revolutionary Millenarians and Mystical Anarchists of the Middle Ages Europe's Inner Demons: The Demonization of Christians in Medieval Christendom Warrant for Genocide: The Myth of the Jewish World Conspiracy and the Protocols of the Elders of Zion Noahs Flood: The Genesis Story in Western Thought Gold Khan