Start by marking “Cosmos, Chaos and the World to Come: The Ancient Roots of Apocalyptic Faith” as Want to Read:
Cosmos, Chaos and the World to Come: The Ancient Roots of Apocalyptic Faith

Cosmos, Chaos and the World to Come: The Ancient Roots of Apocalyptic Faith

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  93 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
In this engrossing book, the author of the classic work The Pursuit of the Millennium investigates the origins of apocalyptic faith - the belief in a perfect future, when the forces of good are victorious over the forces of evil. Norman Cohn takes us back two thousand years to the world views of ancient Egypt, Mesopotamia, and India, the innovations of Iranian and Jewish p ...more
Paperback, Second Edition, 256 pages
Published August 11th 2001 by Yale University Press (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Cosmos, Chaos and the World to Come, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cosmos, Chaos and the World to Come

Cooper Cooper
Aug 07, 2009 Cooper Cooper rated it it was amazing
Norman Cohn, Oxford historian and author of the fascinating In Pursuit of the Millenium, in this more recent book attempts to sort out the origins of the ideas behind apocalypse. In his words:

This book is concerned with a major turning-point in the history of human consciousness: it tries to describe how the destiny of the world and of human beings came to be imagined in a new way, and how these new expectations began to spread abroad.

He starts by examining the religious beliefs of the ancien
Joshua
Aug 15, 2014 Joshua rated it really liked it
While I really wanted to give this four stars, there was just too much that annoyed me. And I'm not talking about the fact that the whole premise of the book is to prove that modern Judaism, Islam, and Christianity are essentially off-shoots Zoroastrianism. Personally, I think that has little bearing on my faith in general. Also, to deny an influence of Zoroastrianism on Judaism, Islam, and Christianity would be ridiculous; however, that does not mean, as he heavily implies throughout the book, ...more
David
May 19, 2009 David rated it really liked it
More accessible for me than his "Pursuit of the Millennium" Cohn here explores the connection between Zoroastrianism and the western concept of the End of the World, Judgment Day, etc. Sounds a little dry from my description but trust me, an excellent read from an author with deep knowledge of the subject and a talent for sharing it.
Elfie
Apr 18, 2008 Elfie rated it really liked it
I like Norman Cohn a lot (unfortunately he is no longer with us) - always excellent scholarship presented in an easily comprehensible, well structured way. This book was of course particularly relevant when we were waiting to ring in the new millennium, but it has not lost its value now that we are in it!
Sally
Arresting, well-written; an exceptional book. It is a consideration of where the idea of the millennium or end of history came from (the Zoroastrians are the culprits).
Yakopo-kun
Yakopo-kun marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
Anson
Anson added it
Jul 13, 2016
Damla Ozlu
Damla Ozlu marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2016
Grant
Grant marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
Pieter-Jan Beyul
Pieter-Jan Beyul is currently reading it
Jun 22, 2016
Odilon Rosa
Odilon Rosa rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2016
Xhanan
Xhanan marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
Noel
Noel marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Wolf
Wolf marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Sheikh Tajamul
Sheikh Tajamul rated it really liked it
May 30, 2016
Sean
Sean marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
BCoats(gov)
BCoats(gov) marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Ben
Ben rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2016
Jann Cather
Jann Cather marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Merve Aktitiz
Merve Aktitiz rated it really liked it
May 03, 2016
Ahmed
Ahmed marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Christine
Christine is currently reading it
Apr 13, 2016
Koray Özuyar
Koray Özuyar marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Burc Kostem
Burc Kostem marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Erniehilbert
Erniehilbert rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2016
Jillianjayhawk
Jillianjayhawk marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2016
jess b
jess b marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2016
Kaveh
Kaveh marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2016
Julia Seldon
Julia Seldon marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2016
Kristiyan
Kristiyan is currently reading it
Feb 29, 2016
  • The Secret King: The Myth and Reality of Nazi Occultism
  • The Cult of the Black Virgin
  • The Secret Destiny of America
  • A History of Secret Societies
  • Cunning Folk and Familiar Spirits: Shamanistic Visionary Traditions in Early Modern British Witchcraft and Magic
  • The Apocalyptic Imagination: An Introduction to Jewish Apocalyptic Literature
  • A Secret History of Consciousness
  • Hallucinogens and Shamanism
  • A General Theory of Magic
  • Anti-Judaism: The Western Tradition
  • Ficando longe do fato de já estar meio que longe de tudo
  • Black Sun: Aryan Cults, Esoteric Nazism, and the Politics of Identity
  • Hamlet's Mill: An Essay Investigating  the Origins of Human Knowledge & Its Transmission Through Myth
  • A History of the End of the World: How the Most Controversial Book in the Bible Changed the Course of Western Civilization
  • David and Solomon: In Search of the Bible's Sacred Kings and the Roots of the Western Tradition
  • History and Social Theory
  • American Grotesque
  • Mini-Manual of the Urban Guerrilla
Jewish academic, historian and writer who spent fourteen years as a professorial fellow and as Astor-Wolfson Professor at the University of Sussex in the United Kingdom.

His main subject were the connection between medievel anti-semitism and contemporary anti-semitismn.

More about Norman Cohn...