Start by marking “After Glow (Harmony, #2)” as Want to Read:
After Glow (Harmony, #2)

After Glow (Harmony #2)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  3,173 ratings  ·  94 reviews
Para-archaeologist Lydia Smith has spent her entire adult life digging into the past, and building a career. But all that changes when she finds herself lost in the catacombs below the city, with no memory of how she came to be there. Now it's her own past that is eluding her; and the secret of what happened to her will endanger everything she's worked to rebuild, includin ...more
Published February 24th 2004 by Jove Books (first published February 23rd 2004)

To ask other readers questions about After Glow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about After Glow

Jacob Proffitt
This one was a clear improvement on the first. I think Castle has a better idea of where she's going with the books and it made a difference in the setting, particularly the side characters. Lydia and Emmet were both better, too, and their relationship was as or more fun. So yeah, a clear step up.

As with most series, I'd definitely read the first one before this one; you really need the details of their relationship and Lydia's professional life. That this book is better is something to look for
Nurse Lisa in Ohio
3.75/5...I liked this one a lot. Good story with a fun paranormal thread. Add in the romance & voila! I'm a happy reader! :)
Kari Chapman
I felt that "After Glow" was a stronger book than the first book in the series, "After Dark". Which is good, as "After Dark" was enjoyable, but had room for improvement.

The characters established in the previous book are back again in book 2. They are just as enjoyable to read about this time around, and there was some good growth on both Lydia and Emmett's parts. We got to see both of them shine in their areas of expertise at various points in the book.

The magic system in this book was clearer
Eliza
Oct 03, 2014 Eliza rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Eliza by: Donnette
Captivating and thrilling, full of unsuspecting plot twists.

Series: Harmony 2, Ghost Hunter 2, Curtain 4
Characters: Lydia & Emmett
Setting: Alien planet, Old Cadence
Mature Themes: Sex, Drug references

Picking up a few weeks after the events in After Dark, Lydia and Emmett are still feeling their way through their relationship with one another. Lydia's private consulting is picking up and with a new client, her job at the museum, and the ongoing investigating she's doing into her Lost Weekend.
Gwen (The Gwendolyn Reading Method)
awwww, I loved this storyline! And I also just enjoy Harmony as a world. Good ol' Jayne Castle/Amanda Quick.
Sheila Melo
Sequel That Answers Questions

Sequel That Answers Questions

AFTER GLOW is the second novel in the Harmony series. It features the same couple as AFTER DARK, Lydia Smith and Emmett London. In the first book, readers were introduced to the earth colony of Harmony where humans have developed paranormal abilities. Lydia last her job when she had a lost weekend where she has 48 hours of memory loss. Lydia and Emmett began arelationship in the first book.

In this book, the relationship is finally resolve
An Odd1
** "After Glow" follows "After Dark", among other (better?) similar-plot fantasy explicit romances by Jayne Castle aka Krentz, set in futuristic planet Harmony. A 'hunter' can tune thought waves through amber to gather or disperse 'ghost' energy radiating from crystal.

The series suffers from excess amber and jargon such as 'rez' for power. If her heroines believe hunter Guilds are criminal mobs, why do they date 'thug' bosses and manipulate marriages? Action seems jerky, fits and starts, such a
Carrie
SOA Reading Challenge 2012 Surprise Me by Quarter: Quarter 2

Choice #3 – Rounding Out the Family – Listen to a romance where a child (under 18) or pet plays a significant role. (Fuzz, the dust bunny)

SFR Reading Challenge 2012

2.5* rounded up to 3*
Grade C+

Mildly entertaining futuristic suspense novel hampered by clunky writing and too much telling. I generally enjoy JAK in all her permutations, but this isn't one of her best. Lydia and Emmett skirted around actually talking about their true feeling
Christine
As I mentioned in my review of "After Dark," the first half of this duet, I was kind of annoyed that I had to read another book in order to get the rest of the story. My feelings didn't really change after I finished this. I continue to feel that this is one of Jaynce Castle's weaker stories by any psuedonym and her weakest under this one. I'd say it took her a couple of books to get into writing science fiction, but with the possible exception that she didn't lay the groundwork very well (in th ...more
Thenia
Lydia and Emmett's story's conclusion, where loose ends are tied, mysteries are solved and our heroes get their happy ever after future.

Interesting world, flawed characters and a conspiracy theory made this an engaging read.

The series continues with Ghost Hunter and a new couple's story.
Katy M
"Derring do" and "bill and coo."

I never put spoilers in my reviews.
Ms. Krentz is my favorite 3 headed author: Amanda Quick (past,) Jayne Ann Krentz (present,) Jayne Castle (future.) Her world building is unique in that she builds a believable world that coexists with our "normal" one seamlessly for her past and present books which leads to the believable future world.
All the books I have read, and liked, that she's written have mystery, action and romance all in one. As far as I can see, all the
Pamela
I love these books about the para normal, and the relics found on the planet left behind by another race. I also loved the sexy Guild Boss, Emmitt. Lydia a renown para-archiologist is recovering from a bad burn in the underground, when people she is close to begin dropping dead. This is a fun read, and a sexy read. There are plenty of plot changes, and clues, and false leads to keep you turning the page. I also love the dust bunnies, and hers is adorable. It had a great ending, that surprised me ...more
Kate Trudeau
Excellent sequel

The interesting thing about this sequel is its not really a sequel. The first book concluded its storyline and left the story of the heroine untold. Thus, this book tells the backstory of After Dark, by cleverly bringing the main characters into a new challenge that arises because of the success of the first book. Very often, trilogy and duos don't work, but these two books together are perfect. Add in a marvelous and humorous dust bunny ending, and it is a great lite read.
Maria
The second in the Harmony series, this one is just as good as the first. Ms. Krentz creates wonderful worlds not our own and peoples them with interesting characters, not to mention their pets. Lydia has no time for fools and makes short shrift verbally of several characters in this book to the delight of the reader. Tamara emerges as a more viable character, not so one-sided after all, and Mercer Wyatt and Emmett have a moment that I will always treasure, but which the reader might not fully un ...more
Emily
The second novel featuring Lydia Smith, a 'tangler,' and Emmett London, a 'ghost hunter' is an excellent continuation of their tale. Generally, I believe each couple gets one book, and after that, they can guest in other books, but in the case of Lydia and Emmett, their story was too long for just one book. I had mentioned in my review of "After Dark" that I thought there were some loose ends, and this book ties them up. The mystery of Lydia's "Lost Weekend" in the Harmonic Catacombs is solved, ...more
Kathy
Setting: Cadence – her apartment at Dead City View Apartments, his condo – closer to the ruins and it’s resonance power, Hunter Headquarters, Shrimpton’s House of Ancient Horrors, Restoration Ball; Dead City of Old Cadence – green glowing passageways, underground offices and holding cells, one with complicated psi-trap to prevent from going further;

Theme:
Love and commitment – waiting for the other, as hinting for it – both her and him; responsibility; what happened on Lydia’s Lost Weekend, and
Wan
I gave After Glow a solid 4. I don’t know if I’ve gotten use to the writing style and the terminologies of the series but I found it more enjoyable second time around. I will definitely read the entire series after all.

In this book, I like that the trio, Emmett, Lydia and Fuzz, again, teamed up going against the bad guys and solving all the murder mysteries -- that seemed to constantly follow them around. They made such a great team. Though, IMO, Emmett still oozed power and sexuality while Lyd
Gmc
After Glow - Harmony, Bk 2 by Jayne Castle

Lydia Smith Para-archaeologist labeled as fragile after a bad burn in the tunnels, and working to build a new career, she has flickers of memory about her lost weekend. She doesn't trust hunter as she feels that hunter are the cause of her lost week end.

Emmett London who has a dangerous past of his own to overcome, have retired as Hunter Guild boss in one city is tapped for the job as temporary boss in this one.

And then there are the Greenies.
Mary
Apr 16, 2014 Mary rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Mary by: It's a Jayne Castle/ Jayne Ann Krentz
Shelves: fantasy, romance
Sequel to After Dark, it follows Lydia and Emmett's next adventure. Only this time it's not a ruin rat that dies in the first page, it's an old college professor gone drug addict. But of course, drug addict or not, with Lydia and Emmett involved, his death can't possibly be a natural one.

This book has the same sparkling humor, the same fantastical world, the same familiar but not quite sense of place. I love all her Harmony books and recommend them most highly.
Meltem Y.K
Jayne Castle’s futuristic novels set in Harmony have just the right amount of paranormal, mystery and love to keep you going from one book to the next. There are nine books in the series so far and I am pretty certain there will be more. These books are stand alones, but all relate to each other. As you read more books you come across references to the hero and heroine of another one in the series, somehow they all know each other and soon you start to feel like you know them all, too. Jayne Cas ...more
Deirdre
This is part of Jayne Castle aka Jayne Ann Krentz's Ghost Hunter series, chronologically the third in the series but as a full novel the second in the series.

This tells the continuing story of Lydia Smith, she's working for a tacky third-rate museum, Shrimpton's House of Ancient Horrors, taking on the occasional job to try to reclaim her career. Between that, dating one of the most powerful and dangerous men in the town and dead bodies turning up she has a handful of trouble.

Lydia is an intere
Donna
I often have difficulty rating books written by Castle(Krentz). I really liked the way she built the world of Harmony - the Dead City and its catacombs, dissonance energy ghosts, hunters and tanglers, etc. I especially enjoyed the personality of the dust bunny Fuzz. The pacing was good, the plot was interesting, and the writing style let the story flow. However, I never became emotionally invested in the characters. It may have been made more difficult in this book because Lydia and Emmett first ...more
Elaine Spearman
Couldn't put this book down until I finished it!

I thought the story of Emmet and Lydia was finished after the first book in the Curtain series but this one is even better and answered a lot of questions that were left hanging in the first book. If you've read the first book in the series you've got to read this one!
Dr susan
Although the majority of the books in the Harmony series seem able to stand alone, I recommend reading After Dark before After Glow since the same couple is featured in both books. After reading four books in this fantastical science fiction/romance series, I admit I am reading mostly for the dust bunnies.
Mojca
A great ending to this two-part Harmony story. The heroine wasn't as bitchy, but still stuck her nose into things she should not be sticking her nose into, the hero was even yummier than in the previous book, the mystery was intriguing, the 'suspense' gripping, but I could've done with only one climax instead of two—the kidnapping was enough of a finale for me, I didn't need that extra little hiccup of suspense. It seemed like an afterthought.

Loved the romance between Lydia and Emmett having mor
Curse of the Bibliophile
“After Glow” continues where “After Dark” left off and now Lydia is once again caught up in a murder investigation.
“After Glow” really ties up all of the loose ends from the first book and readers get to see more of Lydia and Emmett and of course the loveable dustbunnies. I really liked how this book was written. The storyline kept me just as enraptured as the first and maybe even more so with the current developments in Lydia and Emmett’s relationship.
The budding relationship between Lydia an
Heather
Again, as was my problem with the first in this series, this felt like a pale repeat. I got very frustrated with the heroine's know-it-all monologues/attitudes. For those who haven't read Ms. Kentz's Whispering Springs Series (Light In Shadow and Truth or Dare), you might find more enjoyment in this book and its predecessor than I did. If you want a better read, IMO, read that series instead of this one, though Fuzz is freaking cute!
June
Jul 12, 2015 June rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Harmony fans
Liked enough to reread while on vacation. Lydia's trying to recover her memory of her lost weekend. Then her lover is asked to step in as guild boss. It seems someone is out to get Emmet and kidnap Lydia.
Zaire Dunnigan
Definitely worth a read

This is a great continuation of the After Dark story. It was perfect in every sense, I definitely would recommend to those who has a great appreciation for a true love story.
Annalisa
Humorous return to the Dead City of Old Cadence with two of my favorite characters - Lydia Smith and the most dangerous man in town, Emmitt London.
Jayne Ann Krentz ...: After Glow (2004) Book 2 1 1 Sep 27, 2012 10:25AM
  • Sizzle and Burn (Arcane Society, #3)
  • Burning Lamp (Arcane Society, #8) (Dreamlight Trilogy, #2)
  • Heart Duel (Celta's Heartmates, #3)

She earned a B.A. in History from the University of California at Sant
More about Jayne Castle...

Harmony (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • After Dark (Harmony #1)
  • Ghost Hunter (Harmony #3)
  • Silver Master (Harmony #4)
  • Dark Light (Harmony #5)
  • Obsidian Prey (Harmony #6)
  • Midnight Crystal (Harmony #7; Arcane Society #9; Dreamlight Trilogy #3)
  • Canyons of Night (Rainshadow, #0; Harmony, #8; Looking Glass Trilogy, #3; Arcane Society, #12)
  • The Lost Night (Rainshadow, #1; Harmony, #9)
  • Deception Cove (Rainshadow, #2; Harmony, #10)
  • The Hot Zone (Rainshadow, #3; Harmony, #11)
After Dark (Harmony #1) Canyons of Night (Rainshadow, #0; Harmony, #8; Looking Glass Trilogy, #3; Arcane Society, #12) Amaryllis (St. Helen's, #1) Midnight Crystal (Harmony #7; Arcane Society #9; Dreamlight Trilogy #3) Silver Master (Harmony #4)

“When it comes to dysfunctional families," he said,"I'll put mine up against anyone's, anytime” 10 likes