Start by marking “Los asesinos de la campaña china” as Want to Read:
Los asesinos de la campaña china

Los asesinos de la campaña china (Judge Dee (Chronological order) #8)

4.05  ·  Rating Details ·  1,041 Ratings  ·  71 Reviews
La acción de esta entrega de las aventuras del juez Di se sitúa en un templo budista cuya creciente fama se debe a que, no se sebe muy bien cómo, está logrando que mujeres en apariencia estériles consigan quedar embarazadas. Cuando a un joven que ha entrado en el templo se le pierde repentinamente el rastro, el juez Di decide emprender una investigación, que, como siempre, ...more
Published June 2004 by Editora y Distribuidora Hispano Americana, S.A. (first published 1958)

To ask other readers questions about Los asesinos de la campaña china, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Los asesinos de la campaña china

Henry Avila
Jan 31, 2015 Henry Avila rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All looks calm, in the apparently little, peaceful, beautiful, walled, northern town of Poo-yang, by the Great Canal, as the new magistrate Judge Dee, his three wives, numerous children, four cunning lieutenants, Hoong Liang, Ma Joong, Chiago Tai , Tao Gan, and loyal servants, arrive there. After the usual formal celebrations , meetings, a grand banquet, seeing the leading citizens, taking over from his able predecessor, Judge Feng, only one murder case, active, but that has been solved, already ...more
Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
Jan 15, 2012 Jayaprakash Satyamurthy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Excellent period mystery that draws on the Chinese detective story legacy and diplomat van Gulik's extensive scholarship. Reading this book was like stepping into a time machine and travelling back in time to imperial China, so well realised is van Gulik's portrayal of the era. Judge Dee, a magistrate, is given a new posting and proceeds to clean up the town. Cerebral and often downright inscrutable, he is aided by a cohort of close associates who range from a stalwart sergeant to a former con m ...more
Ivonne Rovira
Feb 14, 2013 Ivonne Rovira rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers of unusual historical mysteries
Admirers of Robert van Gulik's always delightful Judge Dee mysteries have another treat in store with The Chinese Bell Murders. In this novel, Judge Dee is newly arrived in the city of Poo-Yang, and he begins by re-investigating a case that his predecessor, Judge Feng, could not complete since Feng had had to leave when he was reassigned to a new posting. In that case, an impoverished literary candidate named Wang was on the verge of being executed for the rape and murder of a butcher's daughter ...more
Nancy Oakes
Second in a series featuring the Tang Magistrate Judge Dee, based on a real magistrate during that dynasty. Dee has a series of retainers who assist him in his work. It is the case throughout the series that when Dee comes to a new town, mysteries present themselves for him and his friends to solve. Generally there are several mysteries that seem to be linked together somehow, and I take the utmost in pleasure to watch the crimes unravel.

In his first case, Judge Dee finds himself in the Poo-yan
Natalia
Jan 31, 2014 Natalia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, 2014
Oh, this book was great fun. I am unfamiliar with the history of Chinese detective novels (Actually, I was completely unaware China had a history of detective stories at all - Though come to think of it, why not? Every society has crime, and sometimes there are mysteries that need solving.)

I liked that there were 3 crimes solved in the book and that the timelines kind of overlapped. It felt much more realistic. In the real world, crimes don't happen one at a time, waiting for a magistrate to sol
Carol ♔Type, Oh Queen!♕
I loved van Gulik's elegant prose & the simple illustrations that were with this book. I found the construction of the book's plot a bit hard (there are actually 3 different crimes) but will be prepared for that if I read another book in this series.

One criticism is that it would be very hard for the reader to solve the crime.
Erik
Aug 03, 2011 Erik rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the best in the series. Judge Dee and his four assistants, Sergeant Hoong, Chiao Tao, Ma Joong, and Tao Gan, investigate three cases: a 20-year-old feud between two Cantonese families, a suspiciously wealthy Buddhist temple, and the murder of a young girl. Science fiction writers could learn a thing or two from how van Gulik subtly conveys to the reader how the world of ancient China works.
Frank
Dec 27, 2014 Frank rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent historical mystery. I couldn't put it down. Plenty of twists and turns and great puzzles solved by the magistrate with the evil-doers getting their just desserts.
Janice
Oct 03, 2014 Janice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love the reasoning he uses to solve the crimes and the peek into life in 7th century China. Good character building.
Acacia
Apr 09, 2015 Acacia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is an amazing read! The way the plot is intricately woven around dynamic characters ought to be heralded as an example for mystery writers everywhere.
Sandi
Apr 15, 2015 Sandi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Have read 2 Judge Dee mysteries. The Chinese Bell Murders is the first of the series. Have really enjoyed both books!
Franz
Oct 21, 2016 Franz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best of the three Judge Dee books read so far. Maybe my comments about the language (of the first book read earlier in the month) had to do with the fact that it has been a while that I read in German, as I had less of a problem with the flow of words here ... on the other hand, the language of "Mord im Labyrinth" did feel unpolished and abrupt to a point of being at times irritating ... but not enough to make me stop reading ...

I really enjoyed the stories in this book, and I did like that
Nancy
Feb 11, 2017 Nancy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I want this to be a movie.
Maybe not live action.
An animated movie would work fine.
I want more!
This is a genre of book I had not heard of
Chinese Detective Story
But not as in a Charlie Chan way
but in actual ancient China.
Bev
This book, originally published in 1958, is actually set in the China of about the 17th century. Van Gulik was a Dutch diplomat and a well-known authority on Chinese history and culture. He drew his plots, settings, and character-development from Chinese literature--particularly the popular detective novels of the period. The story tells us of the adventures and rulings of Judge Dee in the early days overseeing the tribunal of Poo-yang. When he takes over the tribunal, he finds that there is one ...more
Matt
Jul 09, 2014 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very good and highly-entertaining mystery novel by Robert van Gulik, but he's not quite on his A-game here.

For one thing, it's clear that van Gulik hadn't quite perfected his format at this point, borrowed from the Ming-style gong'an novels. It is true that Judge Dee has to solve three mysteries in this novel, having just arrived with his four trusty assistants in the fictional Jiangsu canal town of Puyang. But the Cases of the Half-Moon Street Rape-Murder, of the Secret of the Buddhis
Kathy Chung
Feb 05, 2014 Kathy Chung rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
yes! I love this story. full of surprising twist and turn if event.

Judge Dee taking over a new district had "inherited" a case of rape and murder from his predecessor.

everything sound simple enough. he just have to impose some harsh punishment to get the prisoner to confess. but Judge Dee found something suspicious and seems to have opened a can of worms.

to make it worse , there was a suspicious Sect that have great influence in the Capital . This sect seems to be commiting crime but Judge Dee
Stacy
Jan 04, 2016 Stacy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my new favourite series. I HAVE to read more. The author brilliantly keeps a simple narrative while including casual references to the historical norms of the time-period. These are educational and seamless. The integrity of his main protagonist is revealed through the hero's side-kicks. These are endearing and entertaining, and I care very much for every one of Judge Dee's assistants. Their dynamics between one another, and in certain aspects of encouraging plot development, never once ...more
Malcolm
This is one of a series of novels from the 1950s in the style medieval Chinese crime novels, and as such it is a fairly standard police procedural. I am not a big fan of the police procedural but this was quite engaging, fairly entertaining, even if over reliant on the sense of mystical insight of the enigmatic investigator so common in detective writing. I doubt I’ll be rushing to another, but enjoyable.
May
Dec 05, 2011 May rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great Chinese-style detective story, and very convincingly portrays the attitudes of the Chinese in that time period. Of course, this traditional way of thinking irked my feminist sensibilities somewhat, what with all the "women should be subservient to men" undertones and general masochism going on in the book. Provides great insight into Chinese history and culture, while remaining rather entertaining at the same time.
Carla
Exceptional presentation of another time and place. Judge Dee, besides being a magistrate, is also a detective. He's a character of infinite dignity, propriety, and sense of status. He's educated and privileged but his deft, practised handling of the many and various levels of society in his legal profession leads the reader into a fascinating peek into ancient China. His henchman, from a much lower level of society, balances and expands the historical reach of this series.
Betty
May 26, 2014 Betty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, china
I am especially fond of historical mysteries. So it is a mystery to me that it took so long to read one of van Gulik's Judge Dee mysteries set in 17th c. China. A scholar and diplomat, van Gulik based his mysteries on old Chinese detective stories. The postscript gives the reader the basis for the format of the novel as well as the derivation of the three mysteries that Judge Dee solves in the novel. Clever deduction and interesting cultural observations made this a very entertaining read.
Pamela Mclaren
I read this and several of the other Robert van Guilik Judge Dee mysteries several years ago and event today I remember how good they were and so different from the rest of that time mysteries. Perhaps its because its Asia, its a thinking man (i.e., like Sherlock Holmes) and it reflects the time period it is all about. These are not mysteries for everyone but if you like one, you'll want to ready more.
Joe Rodeck
May 08, 2013 Joe Rodeck rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Has a nice X-Men quality about it. Judge Dee is the leader and brains of the outfit, with his team of three: the big strong guy, the sleight of hand artist, and a good all purpose guy. Lots of mano a mano fights, intrigue and scientific deduction.

Old China is a nice change of pace atmosphere.
Anne
Nov 02, 2012 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not only were the plots of the three mysteries of this first of the Judge Dee series interesting, but the author's illustrations drawn in the Chinese style were illuminating. I enjoyed this introduction to a detective who is based on an historical character from another culture and period (630-700 CE). I will definitely read more Judge Dee stories.
Joni
Mar 22, 2015 Joni rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Aivan parasta van Gulikia. Kolme kiinalaista rikosmysteeriä samanaikaisesti tuomari Deen ratkottavana, heti alkuun uudessa piirissään. Juonet perustuvat joko satoja vuosia vanhoihin (kiinalaisiin) salapoliisitarinoihin tai ammoisiin tositapahtumiin, mutta pieteetillä modernisoitu nykylukijalle uskottavammiksi.
Rage
Jan 09, 2013 Rage rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are a lot of interesting historical and cultural details. Judge Dee is clever and compassionate, and his assistants have some unconventional backgrounds. The way they go about solving the mysteries involves a lot of colorful characters.

On a personal note, I find Wade-Giles such a nuisance.
Jc
Feb 19, 2009 Jc rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the first of van Gulik's original Judge Dee novels (after his translation of The Celebrated Cases of Judge Dee). A fun read, combining v.G.'s interperetation of an 18th century Chinese version of a police procedural with some remarkable sociological portrayal of old China. Reads better than my description, with some nice tension and good surprises.
Janet
Nov 16, 2014 Janet rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Judge Dee is a logical magistrate that must solve the mysteries put before him. In Chinese culture, the accused must confess their crimes. Interesting system, and the accused, if guilty , will pay much for their crimes. Judge Dee is a very logical man who uses psychology and evidence to put the accused into a corner, on the way to confession.
Aleksandar Nikolov
Ди продължава да си е пич. Много готино законодателство са си измислили китайците , първо колят и бесят после питат (тумбс ъп). Хюлик отново за 200 страници е наблъскал не един или два случая за разрешаване, а цели четири-пети повече т.е нон стоп действие. Нямаше кой знае какви интересни обрати , но поне имаше обратни интереси!
Diane
Jul 15, 2011 Diane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really nice detective story that tries to capture the life of a local magistrate in Ancient China. It is set up like a police procedural and really held my attention. Lots of characters, and different story lines and great atmosphere. Hope to read more of these before my trip to China next month.
  • The Princess and the Pirates (SPQR, #9)
  • The Samurai's Wife (Sano Ichiro, #5)
  • The White Rose Murders (Sir Roger Shallot, #1)
  • Island of Exiles (Sugawara Akitada, #4)
  • Komisario Palmun erehdys
  • Младенец и чёрт / Мука разбитого сердца (Смерть на брудершафт #1,2)
  • Murder Most Holy (The Sorrowful Mysteries of Brother Athelstan, #3)
  • The Sanctuary Sparrow (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael #7)
  • Kill the Shogun (Matsuyama Kaze, #3)
  • Maigret and the Killer
  • Harem (Cetin Ikmen, #5)
  • The Return of Dr. Fu-Manchu
  • A Loyal Character Dancer (Inspector Chen Cao #2)
  • The Mournful Demeanour of Lieutenant Boruvka: Detective Tales
Robert Hans van Gulik was a Dutch diplomat best know for his Judge Dee stories. His first published book, The Celebrated Cases of Judge Dee, was a translation of an eighteenth-century Chinese murder mystery by an unknown author; he went on to write new mysteries for Judge Dee, a character based on a historical figure from the seventh century. He also wrote academic books, mostly on Chinese history ...more
More about Robert van Gulik...

Judge Dee (Chronological order) (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Celebrated Cases of Judge Dee (Dee Goong An)
  • The Chinese Gold Murders