Start by marking “Compact Cabins: Simple Living in 1000 Square Feet or Less” as Want to Read:
Compact Cabins: Simple Living in 1000 Square Feet or Less

Compact Cabins: Simple Living in 1000 Square Feet or Less

The setting might be a sparkling lakefront, a cool clearing in the woods, a breathtaking mountaintop, or an expansive beach, but the dream of a modest retreat from everyday life often includes a simple little cabin. In cabin getaways of the imagination, the cares of the world recede, time slows down, and the day's pace is set by leisure and quiet activities.

Compact Cabins
Published February 27th 2010 by Storey Publishing (first published December 30th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Compact Cabins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Compact Cabins

Kim
It's a 5 star, a ranking I am stingy with, giving it to less than 10% of the books I read. Here is why: it is a simple book that makes good on its promise to deliver 62 plans for simple compact cabins of 1000 sq.feet or less. But it is more than a book of elevations and floor plans. It walks you through design considerations, the idea of building your cabin modularly - either onsite or off site in modules you can trailer in. It talks about materials, where to save and where to spend. The pros an ...more
Andee
Jan 29, 2012 Andee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been on a quest to downsize my life for over 2 years. My hope is to eventually fit myself and my most valued possessions into a small comfy space hopefully no larger than 300-400sqft. That was what prompted me to buy this book. While many of the plans are larger than I was looking for, even the larger ones (those closer to 1000 sqft) still offer ideas that could be utilized in a smaller home. Of the smaller home plans included, several had great appeal and could easily be altered to be pe ...more
Matthew
Aug 07, 2013 Matthew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If Plan A is to buy an island, Plan B is to build a small off-the-grid cabin. (And Plan A may involve Plan B.) Fun read with several excellent ideas about living in a small space, and lots of tips on off-the-grid stuff.

Although this book has lots of ideas, it's not deep on details. Once you have your idea, you're going to have to spend some effort working with an architect and other professionals to turn your idea into reality.
Anne
I think this is a great resource if you're building a cabin but for a year round proper home, not so much. I'll have to look at his book on "compact houses."
Plus with this one, the typical heat sources he references are a fireplace or wood burning stove. I love the idea of each but neither are good for those with allergies like me.
Emily
Jul 13, 2016 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall a good book if you're looking into building a small place. It has a lot of good information besides just floor plans -- tips on construction, important factors in building, etc, etc. I wish there were a bit more variety with the floor plans, but overall a good, solid book to give you an idea of what you can expect. I would recommend this book. 4 out of 5 stars.
R. Shurmer
Pretty much what the title suggests: plans for small cabins. Definitely better than throwing money into pre-fab blueprints from some log company. I can't get too excited, so 3 stars seems 'bout right.
Ed
Jan 26, 2012 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book had a lot of great ideas, but few details. While it was fanatic food for thought and did a good job of getting me excited about the prospect of building a cabin, its technical follow through was lacking.
Elizabeth Olson
Aug 05, 2011 Elizabeth Olson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2011, how-to
Some read romances or sword & sorcery epics as an escape; I drift away in plans for off-grid cabins. This compendium of plans, ideas and resources is a delight, and would probably also be a practical guide, but that might be taking things a bit far...
Katie
Dec 27, 2010 Katie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, nonfiction, own
Provides ideas for layouts. However, no schematic designs for plumbing or electricity, solar or wind panels. Some designs account for battery space needed for being off the grid. Most of the layouts are for less than 600sf interior space. Could probably get the same layouts using an RV catalog.
Donna Jo Atwood
Jun 17, 2010 Donna Jo Atwood rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: houses
This is a true description. So often when people talk about small homes they mean something from 1,000 sq ft up. Most of these are in the 500-700 sq ft range. There is also some practical information about construction and materials.
Alanna Jane
Mar 24, 2014 Alanna Jane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who has ever desired a cabin (or mini home) of their own.
This amazingly detailed small-cabin planner is the ultimate fuel for my "off-grid dream home with soul".
gina
I liked this book a lot. Wasn't exactly what I was looking for but a good starter book for small space living nonetheless :)
Allison
Apr 09, 2011 Allison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is am wonderful book to have on your resource shelf. Gotta figure out a source for RV components in my area ...
J. Gowin
Nov 24, 2016 J. Gowin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: diy
While it does have some useful information, about half of this book is floor plans without useful blueprints or specifications.
Stacy
Plans were basic layouts but the square footage was just what I was looking for. Great book for inspiration.
Tim
Sep 22, 2010 Tim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you are looking for another take on how to live frugally, this is a must see. Not practical for everyone, but fun to think about!
Starry E.
Starry E. rated it it was ok
Jul 18, 2016
Robin
Robin rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2016
Sandra Whittier
Sandra Whittier rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2014
Christine Ayers
Christine Ayers rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2015
Corey
Corey rated it really liked it
May 03, 2014
Kevin Harris
Kevin Harris rated it liked it
Mar 28, 2013
Wysteria Jackson
Wysteria Jackson rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2014
Steven C. Underwood
Steven C. Underwood rated it really liked it
Oct 26, 2016
Megan
Megan rated it liked it
Aug 14, 2016
Potatobug
Potatobug rated it liked it
Oct 13, 2014
Aj
Aj rated it really liked it
May 07, 2015
Leigh Cominiello
Leigh Cominiello rated it it was amazing
Apr 19, 2015
Sandra L Gattilia
Sandra L Gattilia rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2014
Haley Carolina
Haley Carolina rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Tiny Homes: Simple Shelter
  • The Tumbleweed DIY Book of Backyard Sheds and Tiny Houses: Build your own guest cottage, writing studio, home office, craft workshop, or personal retreat
  • Little House on a Small Planet: Simple Homes, Cozy Retreats, and Energy Efficient Possibilities
  • The Very Small Home: Japanese Ideas for Living Well in Limited Space
  • The $50 and Up Underground House Book
  • Earth-Sheltered Houses: How to Build an Affordable...
  • Tiny House Living: Ideas for Building & Living Well in Less than 400 Square Feet
  • Humble Homes, Simple Shacks, Cozy Cottages, Ramshackle Retreats, Funky Forts: And Whatever the Heck Else We Could Squeeze in Here
  • The Hand-Sculpted House: A Philosophical and Practical Guide to Building a Cob Cottage: A Practical Guide to Building a Cob Cottage (The Real Goods Solar Living Book): 10
  • New Treehouses of the World
  • Not So Big Solutions for Your Home
  • How to Live in Small Spaces: Design, Furnishing, Decoration and Detail for the Smaller Home
  • The Wabi-Sabi House: The Japanese Art of Imperfect Beauty
  • Natural Healing Wisdom & Know How: Useful Practices, Recipes, and Formulas for a Lifetime of Health
  • Country Wisdom & Know-How: A Practical Guide to Living off the Land
  • Building Green: A Complete How-To Guide to Alternative Building Methods Earth Plaster * Straw Bale * Cordwood * Cob * Living Roofs
  • Living the Good Life: How to Live Sanely and Simply in a Troubled World