Start by marking “Compact Cabins: Simple Living in 1000 Square Feet or Less” as Want to Read:
Compact Cabins: Simple Living in 1000 Square Feet or Less

Compact Cabins: Simple Living in 1000 Square Feet or Less

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  136 ratings  ·  17 reviews
The setting might be a sparkling lakefront, a cool clearing in the woods, a breathtaking mountaintop, or an expansive beach, but the dream of a modest retreat from everyday life often includes a simple little cabin. In cabin getaways of the imagination, the cares of the world recede, time slows down, and the day's pace is set by leisure and quiet activities.

Compact Cabins
Published February 27th 2010 by Storey Publishing (first published December 30th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Compact Cabins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Compact Cabins

Kim
It's a 5 star, a ranking I am stingy with, giving it to less than 10% of the books I read. Here is why: it is a simple book that makes good on its promise to deliver 62 plans for simple compact cabins of 1000 sq.feet or less. But it is more than a book of elevations and floor plans. It walks you through design considerations, the idea of building your cabin modularly - either onsite or off site in modules you can trailer in. It talks about materials, where to save and where to spend. The pros an ...more
Andee
I have been on a quest to downsize my life for over 2 years. My hope is to eventually fit myself and my most valued possessions into a small comfy space hopefully no larger than 300-400sqft. That was what prompted me to buy this book. While many of the plans are larger than I was looking for, even the larger ones (those closer to 1000 sqft) still offer ideas that could be utilized in a smaller home. Of the smaller home plans included, several had great appeal and could easily be altered to be pe ...more
Alanna Jane
Mar 24, 2014 Alanna Jane rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who has ever desired a cabin (or mini home) of their own.
This amazingly detailed small-cabin planner is the ultimate fuel for my "off-grid dream home with soul".
Stacy
Plans were basic layouts but the square footage was just what I was looking for. Great book for inspiration.
Matthew
If Plan A is to buy an island, Plan B is to build a small off-the-grid cabin. (And Plan A may involve Plan B.) Fun read with several excellent ideas about living in a small space, and lots of tips on off-the-grid stuff.

Although this book has lots of ideas, it's not deep on details. Once you have your idea, you're going to have to spend some effort working with an architect and other professionals to turn your idea into reality.
Katie
Provides ideas for layouts. However, no schematic designs for plumbing or electricity, solar or wind panels. Some designs account for battery space needed for being off the grid. Most of the layouts are for less than 600sf interior space. Could probably get the same layouts using an RV catalog.
Elizabeth Olson
Some read romances or sword & sorcery epics as an escape; I drift away in plans for off-grid cabins. This compendium of plans, ideas and resources is a delight, and would probably also be a practical guide, but that might be taking things a bit far...
Robert
Great 'idea' book, falls flat on follow through. No detailed schematics, and less generically small cabins and more 'difficult use' cabins would have been nice. Still, it's a keeper if you are looking to throw up a nice livable place somewhere.
Donna Jo Atwood
This is a true description. So often when people talk about small homes they mean something from 1,000 sq ft up. Most of these are in the 500-700 sq ft range. There is also some practical information about construction and materials.
Ed
This book had a lot of great ideas, but few details. While it was fanatic food for thought and did a good job of getting me excited about the prospect of building a cabin, its technical follow through was lacking.
R.
Pretty much what the title suggests: plans for small cabins. Definitely better than throwing money into pre-fab blueprints from some log company. I can't get too excited, so 3 stars seems 'bout right.
Tim
If you are looking for another take on how to live frugally, this is a must see. Not practical for everyone, but fun to think about!
Allison
This is am wonderful book to have on your resource shelf. Gotta figure out a source for RV components in my area ...
Kara Wicks
This book is great for early planning and ideas for those who dream of living off the grid.
Shaun
For my future Shaunna-topia. I am fascinated with tiny homes, living in 300 square feet of space.
Rachel
Inspiring with lots of good ideas on maximizing space and resources.
PWRL
Apr 18, 2011 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-new
E
Adam Cordray
Adam Cordray marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Stacy Williams
Stacy Williams marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Scott Woods
Scott Woods is currently reading it
Dec 09, 2014
amanda
amanda marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Patrick
Patrick marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Tiny Homes: Simple Shelter
  • Little House on a Small Planet: Simple Homes, Cozy Retreats, and Energy Efficient Possibilities
  • The Hand-Sculpted House: A Philosophical and Practical Guide to Building a Cob Cottage: A Practical Guide to Building a Cob Cottage (The Real Goods Solar Living Book): 10
  • The $50 and Up Underground House Book
  • The Very Small Home: Japanese Ideas for Living Well in Limited Space
  • The Tumbleweed DIY Book of Backyard Sheds and Tiny Houses: Build your own guest cottage, writing studio, home office, craft workshop, or personal retreat
  • Building Green: A Complete How-To Guide to Alternative Building Methods Earth Plaster * Straw Bale * Cordwood * Cob * Living Roofs
  • Natural Healing Wisdom & Know How: Useful Practices, Recipes, and Formulas for a Lifetime of Health
  • Country Wisdom & Know-How: A Practical Guide to Living off the Land