Start by marking “Enemy in Sight (Richard Bolitho, #12)” as Want to Read:
Enemy in Sight (Richard Bolitho, #12)

Enemy in Sight (Richard Bolitho #12)

Aboard the Hyperion, Richard Bolitho sets sail with an untrained crew for blockade duty off France. Unfortunately, his superior, Commodore Mathias Pelham-Martin, is an incompetent egotist whose petty hostilities jeopardize the operation of an entire fleet.
Published April 1st 1999 by McBooks Press (first published December 31st 1969)

To ask other readers questions about Enemy in Sight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Enemy in Sight

Matimate
Mar 28, 2009 Matimate rated it really liked it
Shelves: navalfiction, 2009
George
Aug 16, 2008 George rated it it was amazing
Another Richard Bolitho naval story. The time covered is the end of 1794 to summer 1795 as the war with France continues to develop. Captain Richard Bolitho is in command of the ship of the line HYPERION and resumes blockade duty as part of a squardon. The French ships they are blockading break out and they are ordered to pursue them and destroy them. The mission takes them into the Caribbean and then back to the Bay of Biscay for the climatic battle. Again, it is Bolitho's leadership and skills ...more
theduckthief
May 30, 2009 theduckthief rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of naval historical fiction
"Bolitho raised his head, his eyes moving swiftly above the crouched gunners, shutting the sounds of splintering timber from his ears, concentrating his full being on the ships ahead of him. No wonder the enemy had waited so patiently and confidently. Instead of receving a controlled line of ships across their rear they were now faced with something approaching chaos."

Richard is now captain of his own ship but juggling several issues. His wife is expecting their first child but he won't be prese
Simon Mcleish
Originally published on my blog here in September 2000.

Another one of Kent's conventional naval adventures starring Richard Bolitho. Reading three or four of these in a few months makes them seem quite tedious in the end; the background plot details may move on (a new rank for Bolitho, for example), but everything else about them is pretty much the same.

In this particular case, there are fairly obvious problems with the plot, in the specific way in which Bolitho shows his brilliance in contrast
Hermann Gucinski
Jan 07, 2011 Hermann Gucinski rated it liked it
while there are differences from book to book, my review is of the genre as a whole, as written by this author. Hence:
I can recommend this to people who love adventure tales set in the days of iron men and wooden ships. I think the Patrick O'Brian tales (Master and Commander etc.) were the best of the breed, but the Alexander Kent novels are page turners, and the nautical settings and descriptions seem accurate enough, with occasional lapses. In these tales, the hero may have set-backs but wins,
Doug
May 11, 2014 Doug rated it it was amazing
It's certainly a mark of a great series to find that each successive book in the series becomes your favorite. Maybe not true for everyone of the 11 Bolitho books I have now read, but it was absolutely true for this one. So so soooooo good. I listened to this one on audible, sometimes actually reading along on kindle like i was a preschooler reading along ith the teacher, but the teacher is great! Michael Jayston's narration is the absolute perfect compliment to these books. I'm 100% hooked. I'm ...more
Feb 03, 2014 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Definitely the best Bolitho book I've read so far--the secondary characters were interesting, the action sequences well-visualized and gripping, and the tendency for characters to stop everything to think about how amazing Bolitho is was reined in a bit and at least happened when there were some reasons for it as opposed to "he looked good silhouetted against the sky" as it has been in other books at times. Fun Age of Sail derring-do.
Topher
Feb 20, 2011 Topher rated it really liked it
So, when I manage to forget that the main character has a wife, perhaps I'm going too long in between books in this series? Another good, entertaining book. We meet Richard's nephew, who will go on to be the focus of the later series, though he is still just a midshipman at this point.

Sometime, I need to start picking up westerns - but for now, the wooden ships era is providing my fix of whatever that is....
John
Jan 11, 2012 John rated it it was amazing
This was the first of Mr. Kents Bolitho books that I ever read..that was 40 years ago. The story & characters are still as gripping & exciting as they were back then. To me Kent is the master of sea going tales.
Annie Jones
Feb 06, 2014 Annie Jones rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A rollicking read! I always enjoy Bolitho's adventures on the high seas and this is a particularly exciting one. It moves fast with lots of action yet also has moments of tenderness. Altogether moving.
Merritt
Aug 05, 2009 Merritt rated it liked it
A good one. It has all the necessary ingredients for a Bolitho novel: A new command, a few unexpected surprises about Bolitho's long-lost brother, Hugh, Bolitho being smarter than everyone, and, of course, an appearance of Thomas Herrick.
Rick Byam
Jul 07, 2014 Rick Byam rated it it was amazing
This number 10 for me and a continuation of a great series. You are there, on the water, in the battle, in the life and death of the characters. You take a sigh of relief when you're finally anchored and wondered how you made it. Great stuff.
Margareth8537
Sep 17, 2013 Margareth8537 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bolitho is still taking part in every action
George
Great read!
Wayne
Sep 07, 2013 Wayne rated it really liked it
Shelves: bolitho
Typical Bolitho story. Good, with twists and turns and action.
Sally
Apr 04, 2016 Sally rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book - hard not to compare it with C.S. Forester's Hornblower, but in the end a grand read in its own right - more fantastic adventure and fighting on the sea.
Terry
Dec 14, 2016 Terry rated it really liked it
See my earlier reviews of this excellent Naval/Historical series.
Frank
Dec 26, 2014 Frank rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just like these books! Thanks for the books Jenifer McMullin!
Rodrigo Amaral
Brilliant!!!
Val Prettyman
Val Prettyman rated it it was amazing
Feb 14, 2015
Joseph Mitterando
Joseph Mitterando rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2016
Jeffry
Jeffry rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2012
Geoff
Geoff rated it it was amazing
Dec 01, 2012
Don Martin
Don Martin rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2015
Jane
Jane rated it really liked it
Nov 23, 2010
Denis
Denis rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2014
Dan Kujala
Dan Kujala rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2014
David Barnett
David Barnett rated it it was amazing
Apr 23, 2016
Goodreads Librari...: Incorrect number of pages 3 30 Sep 14, 2013 07:42PM
  • Ramage & the Drumbeat (The Lord Ramage Novels, #2)
  • H.M.S. Cockerel (Alan Lewrie, #6)
  • Artemis (Kydd Sea Adventures, #2)
  • By the Mast Divided (John Pearce, #1)

Richard Bolitho (1 - 10 of 30 books)
  • Richard Bolitho — Midshipman (Richard Bolitho, #1)
  • Midshipman Bolitho and the Avenger (Richard Bolitho, #2)
  • Band of Brothers (Richard Bolitho, #3)
  • Stand into Danger (Richard Bolitho, #4)
  • In Gallant Company (Richard Bolitho, #5)
  • Sloop of War (Richard Bolitho, #6)
  • To Glory We Steer (Richard Bolitho, #7)
  • Command a King's Ship (Richard Bolitho, #8)
  • Passage to Mutiny (Richard Bolitho, #9)
  • With All Despatch (Richard Bolitho, #10)

“Often you told me that responsibility and authority are privileges, not the rights of every man for the taking.” 0 likes