Start by marking “Enemy in Sight (Richard Bolitho, #12)” as Want to Read:
Enemy in Sight (Richard Bolitho, #12)

Enemy in Sight (Richard Bolitho #12)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  516 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Aboard the Hyperion, Richard Bolitho sets sail with an untrained crew for blockade duty off France. Unfortunately, his superior, Commodore Mathias Pelham-Martin, is an incompetent egotist whose petty hostilities jeopardize the operation of an entire fleet.
Published April 1st 1999 by McBooks Press (first published December 31st 1969)

To ask other readers questions about Enemy in Sight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Enemy in Sight

Secrets of the Realm by Bev StoutMaster and Commander by Patrick O'BrianMoby-Dick; or, The Whale by Herman MelvilleTreasure Island by Robert Louis StevensonTwenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne
Nautical Tales
57th out of 340 books — 209 voters
Life is a Circus Run by a Platypus by Allison HawnThe Universe Builders by Steve LeBelKeeper of the Unicorns by Sahara FoleySex in the Title by Zack LoveStories and Scripts by Zack Love
Good Books you love to read again.
78th out of 102 books — 74 voters

More lists with this book...

Matimate
George
Another Richard Bolitho naval story. The time covered is the end of 1794 to summer 1795 as the war with France continues to develop. Captain Richard Bolitho is in command of the ship of the line HYPERION and resumes blockade duty as part of a squardon. The French ships they are blockading break out and they are ordered to pursue them and destroy them. The mission takes them into the Caribbean and then back to the Bay of Biscay for the climatic battle. Again, it is Bolitho's leadership and skills ...more
Simon Mcleish
Originally published on my blog here in September 2000.

Another one of Kent's conventional naval adventures starring Richard Bolitho. Reading three or four of these in a few months makes them seem quite tedious in the end; the background plot details may move on (a new rank for Bolitho, for example), but everything else about them is pretty much the same.

In this particular case, there are fairly obvious problems with the plot, in the specific way in which Bolitho shows his brilliance in contrast
theduckthief
May 13, 2010 theduckthief rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of naval historical fiction
"Bolitho raised his head, his eyes moving swiftly above the crouched gunners, shutting the sounds of splintering timber from his ears, concentrating his full being on the ships ahead of him. No wonder the enemy had waited so patiently and confidently. Instead of receving a controlled line of ships across their rear they were now faced with something approaching chaos."

Richard is now captain of his own ship but juggling several issues. His wife is expecting their first child but he won't be prese
Doug
It's certainly a mark of a great series to find that each successive book in the series becomes your favorite. Maybe not true for everyone of the 11 Bolitho books I have now read, but it was absolutely true for this one. So so soooooo good. I listened to this one on audible, sometimes actually reading along on kindle like i was a preschooler reading along ith the teacher, but the teacher is great! Michael Jayston's narration is the absolute perfect compliment to these books. I'm 100% hooked. I'm ...more
Definitely the best Bolitho book I've read so far--the secondary characters were interesting, the action sequences well-visualized and gripping, and the tendency for characters to stop everything to think about how amazing Bolitho is was reined in a bit and at least happened when there were some reasons for it as opposed to "he looked good silhouetted against the sky" as it has been in other books at times. Fun Age of Sail derring-do.
Rick Byam
This number 10 for me and a continuation of a great series. You are there, on the water, in the battle, in the life and death of the characters. You take a sigh of relief when you're finally anchored and wondered how you made it. Great stuff.
Hermann Gucinski
while there are differences from book to book, my review is of the genre as a whole, as written by this author. Hence:
I can recommend this to people who love adventure tales set in the days of iron men and wooden ships. I think the Patrick O'Brian tales (Master and Commander etc.) were the best of the breed, but the Alexander Kent novels are page turners, and the nautical settings and descriptions seem accurate enough, with occasional lapses. In these tales, the hero may have set-backs but wins,
Annie Jones
A rollicking read! I always enjoy Bolitho's adventures on the high seas and this is a particularly exciting one. It moves fast with lots of action yet also has moments of tenderness. Altogether moving.
Robert
Great read!
Topher
So, when I manage to forget that the main character has a wife, perhaps I'm going too long in between books in this series? Another good, entertaining book. We meet Richard's nephew, who will go on to be the focus of the later series, though he is still just a midshipman at this point.

Sometime, I need to start picking up westerns - but for now, the wooden ships era is providing my fix of whatever that is....
Merritt
A good one. It has all the necessary ingredients for a Bolitho novel: A new command, a few unexpected surprises about Bolitho's long-lost brother, Hugh, Bolitho being smarter than everyone, and, of course, an appearance of Thomas Herrick.
Wayne
Typical Bolitho story. Good, with twists and turns and action.
Margareth8537
Bolitho is still taking part in every action
Craig
One of the better Bolitho books, so far at least.
George
A very exciting book
Rodrigo Amaral
Brilliant!!!
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Andrew
Andrew added it
Nov 13, 2014
Dan
Dan marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Robert Kittson
Robert Kittson marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Goodreads Librari...: Incorrect number of pages 3 30 Sep 14, 2013 07:42PM
  • Ramage & the Drumbeat (The Lord Ramage Novels, #2)
  • The King's Commission (Alan Lewrie, #3)
  • Artemis (Kydd Sea Adventures, #2)
Midshipman Bolitho (Richard Bolitho, #1-2) Stand into Danger (Richard Bolitho, #4) Sloop of War (Richard Bolitho, #6) In Gallant Company (Richard Bolitho, #5) To Glory We Steer (Richard Bolitho, #7)