Start by marking “Hand Dyeing Yarn and Fleece: Custom-Color Your Favorite Fibers with Dip-Dyeing, Hand-Painting, Tie-Dyeing, and Other Creative Techniques” as Want to Read:

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  179 ratings  ·  18 reviews
No crafter should feel limited by the yarn colors available in a favorite fiber shop - not when it's so fun and satisfying to hand-dye yarn and fleece right in the kitchen. Ultimate color control is now within the reach of anyone who loves yarn and fleece.
In "Hand Dyeing Yarn and Fleece," self-taught dyer Gail Callahan uses fiber, color, and heat to create exciting new ya
Published February 27th 2010 by Storey Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Hand Dyeing Yarn and Fleece, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hand Dyeing Yarn and Fleece

kingshearte
This book got me very excited to try dyeing some yarns. For the time being, I'll have to stick to food-based dyes, I think, since I simply don't have room in my kitchen for extra supplies to use for anything potentially toxic. At any rate, this book discusses various techniques and uses very readily-available equipment, making the whole thing very accessible. Like I said, I'm excited to try some of it!
Deborah Gafford
I have almost every book on spinning, weaving and dyeing that's out there and thought this sounded good to add to my library. Little did I know that it would become my all-time FAVORITE book on dyeing!! I started reading it one morning then had to stop to do other things, but it was so good I went back to it in the evening and didn't put it down until I finished it near midnight!

It is very well written, clear, easy to understand and "friendly". You almost feel as if you are there experiencing th
Ina
Glad that I decided for an English book. I expected a little bit more, and I got it. All the basics are covered (things I didn't think about) like how to set up your dye 'studio', supplies needed, fixation methods, the role of different fibers and plies, preparing the yarn, color theory and dyeing methods I didn't know before.
The only thing I missed were some basic color 'recipes'. I would have liked to get some informations how to mix 'difficult' colors like apricot or shades of brown from the
Read it in less than half a day. It wasn't as in-depth as I'd hoped. Great book for beginners, but if you've read a few internet articles and played around a bit already, this isn't the book to take you to the next level. I thought it was and so I'm disappointed. But that's a problem of expectations, not a problem with the book. It is well organized, clear, and inspiring.
Kerry
This is the first book on dying yarn that I've come across that didn't make me feel like it was an impossible task. I'm still a little overwhelmed by the entire process, but I will eventually buy all the stuff I need and give it a try.
Kristy Bryson
Excellent resource with lots of techniques for acid dyeing yarn. Includes helpful color theory info, but not as thorough as Wilcox or Susan Rex as focus is on dyeing process. Includes some patterns, but none that captured my fancy.
Josiphine
Very interesting. I'd like to try some of these techniques very much now.
Kristin
An amazing book about dyeing yarn. I avoided it for a while, because it uses professional dyes and I generally do natural dyeing or Kool-Aid/food coloring dyes. But that was silly, because these techniques and ideas work just as well with food-safe dyes! I've already tried out one of the "recipes," and I'm so excited to try more.

The instructions are nice and detailed, the photos are lovely, and the whole book is incredibly inspiring. :)
Nicolette
Honest to goodness the best beginner's dyeing book I've read. Ms. Callahan makes the "mystery" of dyeing yarn easy to understand. She provides concepts but it's up to the dyer to investigate with different brands of food, and or acid dyes. She gives more than enough to get the dyer's appetite wet.

Well written, beautiful photos, concise instructions and a variety of techniques can all be found in this book. Definitely a must have for any yarn fibre artist interested in dyeing.
Keith
Very good book on dyeing yarn, but I found the basic techniques to be more involved than what i do. I've found this true of other books as well and can't figure out why they make it more convoluted than it needs to be. Still, there were some techniques in here I hadn't known about, and I liked the patterns included for showing off your hand-dyed yarns!
Denae
An excellent book for a beginning dyer and I have been assured it will remain a good resource. I especially like that it has the spiral binding. I have a dyeing date on Sunday and I can't wait!
Sandy  Kemp
Sep 14, 2012 Sandy Kemp rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: beginning wool/yarn dyers
Shelves: making-yarn
Got me excited to dye. Wish she used Jacquard dyes instead of Sabra, as Jacquard are much more widely available. Someone needs to write a book on dying with Jacquard dyes!
Camille
Great reference book for dyeing your own fibers. I love that so many different ways to dye are covered and basic color theory is addressed.
Dora
I think this is the best book on dyeing yarn. It gives more information than most books on dyeing. Also teaches some color theory.
Cayenne
This book is awesome. She makes dyeing seem so easy. She covers everything a beginner dyer like myself would want to know.
Tracy Hall-Ingram
Explains in great detail how to dye using various techniques. Feel confident to try dying now.
Lenora Carey
A must for anyone wanting to enter the yarn and fleece dyeing world.
Mzfitz
Apr 01, 2010 Mzfitz marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
tclib 746.6041 Callahan
Jessica Cordray
Jessica Cordray marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
cascasexton.com
cascasexton.com marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Mary
Mary added it
Mar 16, 2015
Alicia
Alicia added it
Mar 21, 2015
Caitlyn
Caitlyn marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
  • The Fleece & Fiber Sourcebook
  • Respect the Spindle
  • The Knitter's Book of Wool: The Ultimate Guide to Understanding, Using, and Loving this Most Fabulous Fiber
  • The Intentional Spinner
  • Color in Spinning
  • Start Spinning
  • The Knitter's Handy Book of Sweater Patterns
  • Sock Yarn One-Skein Wonders: 101 Patterns That Go Way Beyond Socks!
  • The Big Book of Knitted Monsters: Mischievous, Lovable Toys
  • A Fine Fleece: Knitting with Handspun Yarns
  • Spinning in the Old Way
  • 2-at-a-Time Socks: Revealed Inside. . . The Secret of Knitting Two at Once on One Circular Needle Works for any Sock Pattern!
  • Spin Control