Start by marking “Beyond Lucky” as Want to Read:
Beyond Lucky

Beyond Lucky

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  119 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Ari Fish believes in two things: his hero-Wayne Timcoe, the greatest soccer goalie to ever come out of Somerset Valley-and luck. So when Ari finds a rare and valuable Wayne Timcoe trading card, he's sure his luck has changed for the better. Especially when he's picked to be the starting goalie on his team. But when the card is stolen-and his best friend and the new girl on ...more
Published June 30th 2011 by Dial (first published June 1st 2011)

The Magic of Finkleton by K.C. HiltonThe Seven Natural Wonders Of The EARTH by Anna OthitisMy First Travel Angelic Airline Adventures by Anna OthitisCharlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart
Cool Books for Grades 4-6
96th out of 480 books — 492 voters
Big River's Daughter by Bobbi MillerFlutter by Erin E. MoultonDon't Touch by Rachel M. WilsonIf All the Animals Came Inside by Eric PinderTracing Stars by Erin E. Moulton
VCFA Student/Alum Books
19th out of 135 books — 21 voters

More lists with this book...

Sebastian Guzman
Do you like soccer if you do then this is your book. This book genre is Realistic Fiction because it talks teenagers that like soccer but are not real people.In my opinion this book relates to me because it talks about a 14 year old teenager that wants to be a starter goalie but there is another goalie and brags a lot and is a better player two.

The setting of this book is at a soccer field and at school. The major events of this story is when Ari finds a Lucky Card of Wayne Tomcoe and this card
Nicole
Obviously, it's about soccer. It's also about friendships and how complicated they can be in middle school. I thoroughly enjoyed this one, and was surprised by the turn of events a few times.

One thing bugs me: Ari compares things to a sine graph. Kids in middle school don't know what that is yet.
Brian
good voice; good message; good conclusion, but it took awhile getting there.
Angie
Ari Fish is an avid soccer player, big Wayne Temcoe fan, presidential trivia fanatic and a firm believer in luck. He has a set of rituals before every game that he must do or else. Then one day he finds a rare Temcoe trading card and believes his luck has skyrocketed. Suddenly he is playing better than ever as the starter goalie, he has girls talking to him and everything seems to be going great. Then his card is stolen. Suddenly his luck changes; he is fighting with his best friend Mac (who he ...more
A.C. Gaughen
I LOVED this book!!

Ari Fish is a really superstitious kid with a seemingly limitless wealth of information about (and slight obsession with) the US Presidents. He's also a young Jewish boy preparing for his bar mitzvah, a younger brother missing his older brother, and a soccer player gearing up for his first starting season. When he finds a trading card for his soccer idol and local hometown legend, his lucky streak begins and everything starts going Ari's way.

Of course, luck runs out, and when
BookChic Club
I loved Aronson's debut Head Case and was really looking forward to reading her follow-up. This is a complete 180 from her debut and I really enjoyed it. I wasn't quite pulled in from the beginning (perhaps because I'm not much of a sports fan) but as I got further into the story, I got invested in Ari and the other characters. Aronson's first foray into middle-grade fiction is spectacular; she really nails the voice, the emotions, and the situations that happen as kids grow up. Their interactio ...more
Ari Fish, a middle school soccer player, faces trouble with his big-shot friend when a girl joins the team. Ari finds his favorite soccer star's trading card and believes that it makes his luck improves dramatically. His best friend, Mac, struggles with his family and accepting changes with the soccer team. Sam, Ari's brother, has dropped out of college and is pursuing a dangerous and exciting job as a smoke jumper. And finally, as a young Jewish boy, Ari is thinking about his upcoming bar mitzv ...more
Andrea
Beyond Lucky is a fun novel about luck, soccer, and friendship. I'm not a soccer fan, but it didn't matter. I was totally captivated by Ari and his desire to be a great soccer player and retain his friendship with his friend Mack.
Ari is the goalkeeper of his soccer team and he's very superstitious. When he finds a rare card of his favorite soccer player, he believes it gives him the luck he needs to be a star on the field and off. When the card goes missing, he gets embroiled in friendship issues and the only way out of it is to face some hard truths. The story moves along nicely but there are several moments that don't sound like real boy talk. Adolescent boys ordering crullers at a diner, for example. A boy telling his ...more
Stacy Ford
Ari Fish is a big believer in luck. He knows all the presidents by heart, can recite them in order and he does so before every game. All he wants is to be a keeper (goalie). When he finds his idol, Wayne Timcoe's trading card, he knows that he is going to have a great day. But can luck sustain Ari when his best friend fish turns on him and a girl joins his team. All bets are off when Ari's luck turns south.

Bottom Line: This is a good sports book. Soccer fans will like it. It also has a good stor
Lindsey
Ari Fish loves soccer and wants more than anything to become the starting goalie on his team. When he finds the rare trading card of his favorite soccer star, he begins to get more luck. Then one day, the card is gone.

One thing I love about this book is that there is a girl who plays on the boys' soccer team. Her presence on the team brings up a lot of conflict and issues for the boys.
Deven Easton
Great book! If you love soccer, this is your type of book.
Aidan
The touching story about a boy trying to become a great goaly, while his brother fights forest fires in California. He finds an incredibly lucky soccer trading card. At first, it makes him really lucky. Then, things start to go downhill. Read to find out more.
Tracy
This was a fun book that kept me guessing until the end. It's great fiction for the middle school soccer lover or sports fan. The main character, Ari is competitive yet relatable and endearing. And if you love the play by play, Aronson pulls you right into the games!
Jul 14, 2011 Sarah rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: ya
I read this book in one sitting. What a great story! Luck and heroism, heroism and luck. There's a fine line between lucky and smart. You'll enjoy Ari and his crew of 13 year old soccer studs (and one studette) until the very last page.
Joyce
LOVED this book and recommend to all! The relationships that grow both on and off the soccer filed show how important sports can be in developing kids. Aronson captures the thrill of the sport and these relationships beautifully!
Linda
This may be the first sports book that I have really enjoyed reading. It is about soccer. But, it is also about friendships and how complicated they can be in middle school. The main characters were surprisingly well developed.
James
ari has bad luck. His best friend Mac is the luckiest boy ari knows. But when ari finds a rare soccer card his luck changes. Then the card was stolen.

I like this book because is has a lot of action in it.
Pat Gilleland
Nice coming-of-age story that imparted lessons without being preachy. Realistic portrayal of sibling relationship. Actually made me care about soccer. I liked this book very much.
Too much sports for me, but that doesn't mean a 5th grade boy wouldn't like it.
Joshua
slow start but solid read that wasn't all wrapped in a bow by end.
Marla
Maine Student Book Award Nominee 2012-2013
Tom
This book sucked! I am NOT a fan of soccer!
Shannon
It teaches a good life lesson.
Anna
Aug 01, 2012 Anna added it
MSBA book 2012 good.
Annika Deans
Annika Deans marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Cassie
Cassie marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
John
John marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Sarah Aronson grew up in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. She is the oldest of three sisters. She graduated from Liberty High School. Her best years: 1973 and 1978, when the family lived in York, England. Claims to fame: Won the drama award. Could parallel park a 1973 Impala station wagon. Got out alive.
More about Sarah Aronson...
Head Case Believe The Princess and the Pea: A Pop-up Book