Start by marking “Woe Is I Jr.: The Younger Grammarphobe's Guide to Better English in Plain English” as Want to Read:

3.68  ·  Rating Details  ·  101 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Shrek? Earwax-flavored jelly beans? Poems about meatballs? Who on earth would use all these to explain the rules of grammar? Must be Patricia T. O'Conner!

Just like Woe Is I, her national bestseller for adults, the junior version uses simple language and entertaining examples to make good English fun. Hey, nobody ever said grammar has to gruesome or gross or grim. How gra

Published May 10th 2007 by Putnam Publishing Group

To ask other readers questions about Woe Is I Jr., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Woe Is I Jr.

Wendee
Apr 18, 2011 Wendee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fantastic read-aloud, especially to kids who have "grammar-phobia." It makes grammar funny and understandable, and makes the rules easier to remember. I have been reading snippets about plurals during breakfast and we all end up laughing because the examples are so hilarious.

Here's a sampling: "Plural means more than one. Without plural words, we'd have to talk about one thing at a time. You couldn't eat a bag of peanuts, you'd have to eat peanut after peanut after peanut. But language
Suzanne Dix
I can not think of one single kid who would read this cover to cover though I found it tremendously fun and punny. Granted I'm a writing teacher and library nerd. I did however find many new ways to teach grammatical concepts to my middle schoolers.
Tracy Shirley Cooper
Looking for some "fun" support for making flipped videos for my class, but most of this is really too low for our freshman or doesn't apply to the standards covered in the common core for this grade level. On to the grow-up version.
Vj
Nov 09, 2014 Vj rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining, but I can't imagine many middle school kids picking it up.
Manan
Feb 11, 2014 Manan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A guide to speak proper english in a funny way and this book explains clearly.
Amanda
Mar 19, 2011 Amanda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: took-back
So far not that impressed with this book. I thought it was going to be more about rules and how to recognize them (similar to Eats, Shoots and Leaves, I guess). I'm not too far into it, though, so I'll see how it goes.

Took it back without finishing. Ran out of time and didn't get a good enough vibe from it to keep me reading. Seemed more interested in not sounding pretentious. Hopefully it covered why being grammatically correct makes communication meaningful.
Brandy
A light, almost cursory look at grammar, covering plurals, pronouns, contractions, and other commonly-misused parts of speech. The writing is lively, with examples using doggerel and recognizable characters (Harry Potter, the Baudelaires, and the Simpsons all make appearances). I’ve read stronger guides (for real, I have) covering topics in more depth, but for kids just coming out of elementary school, this isn’t bad. Not great, as it is very rushed, but it isn't bad.
Cathy
Apr 13, 2014 Cathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read enough. Good for a 10 yr old.
I'll have to scan the adult one
Sybelle van Erven
I started reading the original WOe is I (and it is still on my nightstand) , but since I needed to help my son with some grammar I read this one with him. It is really a fun way to review grammar and be reminded of the many mistakes many people make. or, in the case of my son, it is good as a crash course too, I think. Quite a feat to present grammar (and some spelling and punctuation too) in a humorous way!
Tracie
Aug 28, 2007 Tracie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 4 - 7/8th grades
Shelves: non-fiction
As a grammar review I found this book to be on target. It was enough information without being overwhelming and the author tried to make the examples fun, memorable and interesting by referring to well-known book/movie/tv characters. I can't imagine kids reading this without prompting, but I think it would be entertaining enough to hold the interest of those who must.
Jenny
Mar 24, 2013 Jenny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great how-to guide for young writers, teachers of grammar and anyone wanting to speak correctly. The tips and tricks of proper grammar usage are relevant to kid's situations.. but also helpful to me as an adult. When to use was and were? Etc... I am going to buy the adult version as well!
Megan
Humor and examples from current pop culture makes the grammar lessons as interesting as grammar can be, and there were a few cute poems and cartoons I plan to use this year with my class.
Sadly, the students who most need this book are the least likely to read it!
Wendy
Sep 05, 2008 Wendy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, school is back in session. I have to have some sort of Young Adult book to read during Silent Reading time. This is on the mystery of grammar, but is really not bad. There is an adult version too. I might read that next...MIGHT!
Sue (booknbeachbag)
There was an editing error in this book which I found really disturbing. After all, it's a grammar book.

On page 99, they wrote that usually a goes before a vowel or soft sound, and an goes before a consenant or hard sound. Hmmm....
Darya Kowalski
Jan 10, 2015 Darya Kowalski rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile
This book is great for anyone, young or old, who needs a refresher in grammar or who hasn't learned some of the fundamentals, without all the pain. It's very useful and easy to grasp. Highly recommend it.
Ruth Ann
The text really is written in plain English, making the finer points of grammar very accessible. contains witty examples and entertaining illustrations . . . making grammar FUN!
Rachel Walker
Jun 27, 2013 Rachel Walker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a lot of information in a small book and it simplize things I learned in school that I didn't fully understand. wroth it to read, when it comes to knowing english.
Ivana Olson
This is an excellent book for anyone, regardless of literacy level, to get a better grasp on English grammar and why our words fit together the way they do.
Stasha
This is a great book of basic rules. The early part of the book drags, but the rules are accurate and the poems make it interesting to follow.
Jan 03, 2015 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute examples will help younger readers/students understand the intricacies of English grammar. Recommend even though I disagree about comma usage.
Meghan
Feb 01, 2013 Meghan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: education, writing
What a clever grammar book! It wasn't for the age group I am working with, but I took away some clever ways to explain certain rules.
Allanna
A good mix of grammar rules and pop-culture references (some of which made me snicker quite a bit).
Adrienne
Mar 18, 2013 Adrienne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Harder book to read because it's not told in the form of a story. More of a guide.
Arik
May 02, 2011 Arik rated it really liked it
It was really interesting.
Beth Starr
Beth Starr rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2016
Julie Gardner
Julie Gardner marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Walker Memorial
Walker Memorial marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Kathy Heare Watts
Kathy Heare Watts marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2016
Lillie B.
Lillie B. marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2016
Kristin Crosslin
Kristin Crosslin rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Urban Dictionary: Fularious Street Slang Defined
  • What a Writer Needs
  • More Anguished English: An Exposé of Embarrassing Excruciating, and Egregious Errors in English
  • National Geographic Book of Animal Poetry: 200 Poems with Photographs That Squeak, Soar, and Roar!
  • Bad Pets: True Tales of Misbehaving Animals
  • Irena's Jars of Secrets
  • Amber on the Mountain
  • Archie
  • Just Hand Over the Chocolate and No One Will Get Hurt
  • What's Your Angle, Pythagoras? A Math Adventure
  • Mechanically Inclined: Building Grammar, Usage, and Style into Writer's Workshop
  • Who Is Jane Goodall?
  • The Girl's Like Spaghetti: Why, You Can't Manage without Apostrophes!
  • Thirty Days Has September
  • Return of the Homework Machine (The Homework Machine #2)
  • Naming the World: A Year of Poems and Lessons [With "A Poem a Day" Book]