Start by marking “Time on Two Crosses: The Collected Writings of Bayard Rustin” as Want to Read:
Time on Two Crosses: The Collected Writings of Bayard Rustin

Time on Two Crosses: The Collected Writings of Bayard Rustin

Bayard Rustin, the famed openly-gay African American organizer, introduced Martin Luther King, Jr. to the precepts of nonviolence during the Montgomery Bus Boycott, thereby launching the birth of the Civil Rights Movement in 1955. Widely acclaimed as a founding father of modern black protest, Rustin reached his pinnacle of notoriety in 1963 as organizer of the March on Was ...more
Published July 10th 2003 by Cleis Press

To ask other readers questions about Time on Two Crosses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Time on Two Crosses

Richard Wagner
Jul 28, 2015 Richard Wagner rated it it was amazing
In celebration of black history month.

The proof that one believes is in action. — Bayard Rustin

The best way to destroy a culture is to deny, suppress, or appropriate that people’s history. A culture without its art, without its myths, without its heroes will soon wither and die. For millennia indigenous peoples all over the world have suffered this kind of cultural rape at the hands of more powerful invaders. In America, slavery and segregation did its worst for African culture. And, in a rathe
Nancy Mott
May 13, 2014 Nancy Mott rated it it was amazing
Stimulating reading on many levels was this, my follow-up to "Lost Prophet: The Life and Times of Bayard Rustin" by John d'Emilio.

Rustin was a movement strategist par excellence; I wanted to learn as much as I can from his strategical insights. I got that for sure and so much more: Inspiration. Wisdom. And amazement at how much greater impact his Christian faith had on his life and work than was indicated by d'Emilio's biography.

Highpoints: How we taught Black youth that nonviolence doesn't work
Matthew Hall
Aug 25, 2015 Matthew Hall rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history, nonfiction, 2016
Great collection of essays, speeches, interviews and journal entries from over the course of Bayard Rustin's life-- ties together threads from the civil rights, gay rights, and economic justice movements with Rustin's personal queer, black, Quaker pacifist standpoint. Touches on so much, but definitely highlights his socialism and the way in which economic justice ties so many issues of inequality together.

It feels dated at moments, but that's to be expected when reading something with the gaze
Adrien Lawyer
Aug 02, 2012 Adrien Lawyer rated it it was amazing
I think Bayard Rustin should be required reading for American activists in the human rights arenas. I know that folks will have their own opinions about Israel and other topics that Mr. Rustin addresses, but the bottom line is that this openly gay man is the person who taught Gandhian non-violence to Martin Luther King, Jr. He organized the 1963 March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom and is one of the most under-appreciated forces in the African American civil rights movement. A treasure and a ...more
MaryJo
Mar 31, 2014 MaryJo rated it really liked it
I read this along with the biography by John D'Emilio. These writings have an immediacy to them; one feels immersed in the times and events that Rustin is experiencing. One gets glimpses of Rustin's charisma. I listened to the Audible books on tape version. It may have been particularly effective. I am struck by Ruskin's commitment to nonviolence and the breath of the issues in which he was involved.
BMR, MSW, LSW
Jun 19, 2013 BMR, MSW, LSW rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this collection of writings immensely. The book is broken into sections by topic, and each topic has the essays in chronological order.

I do quibble with the categorization of this book under African American Studies/Gay Studies. It should be categorized under Politics and History.

Full disclosure: I got this from a Goodreads giveaway.
Rob
Jun 22, 2014 Rob rated it really liked it
A great way at looking at individual primary sources and writings by Rustin.
The only negative thing I have to say is that the source does not give any indication of where and specifically when they were published. The context of them is wasted unless you have much understanding of what was happening at that point in time.

Other than that, a really helpful and informative read.
Jean Fauntleroy-Reed
Jan 14, 2016 Jean Fauntleroy-Reed rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
Mr. Rustin was true pioneer. Humble, dogged, intellectual...the man behind the movement. His actions inspire me to be a better citizen and to be a voice for those who need to be fought for. I hope all activists learn from his compassion and strategy.
cubbie
Jun 11, 2008 cubbie rated it liked it
some really good stuff, but more dry, newsy, and political than i had hoped for.
Carnelius
Nov 05, 2008 Carnelius rated it it was amazing
An awesome collection of essays that explore the complexities of several social movements.

I love this man!
Cherie
Jun 27, 2010 Cherie rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
B I heard about Bayard Rustin, an amazing Civil Rights and LGBT activist, on NPR. This book collects many of his speeches, essays, and journals. Eye-opening essays.
Ann Hite
Mar 22, 2015 Ann Hite rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Important to know who Bayard Rustin was!!
Tanya Sevier
Tanya Sevier rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2015
Paul
Paul rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2010
Matthew Miller
Matthew Miller rated it it was amazing
Dec 12, 2016
Bluecatblues
Bluecatblues rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2016
Tonstant Weader
Tonstant Weader rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2010
Joy
Joy rated it it was amazing
Oct 29, 2014
david
david rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2011
Stuart Elliott
Stuart Elliott rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2013
Richard
Richard rated it really liked it
Apr 09, 2014
Nicholas
Nicholas rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2012
Mike Walters
Mike Walters rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2014
Geniece Turner
Geniece Turner rated it it was amazing
Jun 09, 2015
Linda
Linda rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2014
K
K rated it really liked it
Jul 04, 2009
Mark Meinke
Mark Meinke rated it it was amazing
Jun 16, 2017
Maria Thegoddess
Maria Thegoddess rated it really liked it
Jul 04, 2016
Mary Lunetta
Mary Lunetta rated it it was amazing
Oct 15, 2013
Keeshawna
Keeshawna rated it really liked it
Oct 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Lost Prophet: The Life and Times of Bayard Rustin
  • Sexuality and Socialism: History, Politics, and Theory of LGBT Liberation
  • Going Down Jericho Road: The Memphis Strike, Martin Luther King's Last Campaign
  • Some of Us Did Not Die: New and Selected Essays
  • Crusade for Justice: The Autobiography of Ida B. Wells
  • Ella Baker and the Black Freedom Movement: A Radical Democratic Vision
  • Paul Robeson
  • Brother to Brother: New Writing by Black Gay Men
  • Bearing the Cross: Martin Luther King, JR., and the Southern Christian Leadership Conference
  • Sojourning for Freedom: Black Women, American Communism, and the Making of Black Left Feminism
  • Let Nobody Turn Us Around: Voices on Resistance, Reform, and Renewal an African American Anthology
  • Black Like Us: A Century of Lesbian, Gay, and Bisexual African American Fiction
  • Malcolm X Speeches: February 1965