Indefensible (Kate Lange, #3)

Indefensible (Kate Lange #2)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  262 ratings  ·  62 reviews
When Elise Vanderzell plummets from her bedroom balcony one gorgeous summer night, her children awaken to a nightmare.

Their mother is dead.

Their father is charged with her murder.

Published December 28th 2010 by Mira

To ask other readers questions about Indefensible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Indefensible

Mona
This is the book that hooked me on this writer. It's an incredible work of suspense. A must read for anyone who wants to try out the suspense/thriller/mystery genre.

******************

If you like thrillers (or even if you don’t) this is one book that should be on everyone’s TBR list! With Indefensible, Pamela Callow has managed to tap into our deepest fears.

Think about it for a minute...what do you fear most? Death? Prison? The death of someone close to you? Something bad happening your childre...more
Ellie
What do you fear? Losing the respect of your peers, losing a parent, getting divorced, being betrayed by someone you thought you could trust, your child becoming a person you don't even recognize, being sent to jail for a crime you didn't commit or something terrible happening to your child? Those fears and more are in this book.

The characters were all so well written that I can't tell you a favorite. I felt their every emotion and was so engrossed that I didn't hear anything that was going on t...more
Kelly Boyce
INDEFENSIBLE is Pamela Callow’s latest release in the Kate Lange series (MIRA).

In her debut novel, DAMAGED, we found Kate battling it out with the Body Butcher, a serial killer with a nasty habit of leaving bodies in less than pristine condition.

I loved the taught thrillfest that was DAMAGED. If you haven’t checked it out, by all means do – you won’t be disappointed.

The great thing about INDEFENSIBLE was the emotional intensity brought to bear by the nature of story. It brings back several of...more
Kelli (I'd So Rather Be Reading)
I am a big fan of mysteries and legal thrillers. In fact, for about ten years I read those two genres almost exclusively. David Baldacci, Sandra Brown, Nora Roberts, John Grisham, John Lescroart, Brad Meltzer, Jeffrey Archer, they were my favorite authors for quite some time. That was before I rediscovered YA as an adult.

Anyway, I became kind of picky about mysteries and legal thrillers after having read so many excellent books by those bestselling authors. I decided to try Indefensible when I...more
♔ Shayna
Feb 04, 2011 ♔ Shayna rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to ♔ Shayna by: good reads
Shelves: read-and-own
The beginning of this book was so slooooow. It wasn't until a couple hundred pages in that I felt things were starting to heat up. Now usually with a slow beginning there's important facts that have to be teased out or something like that. I didn't feel that way with this though. A lot of the information provided could have easily been slimmed down or taken out completely.

Though I might feel this way because I have not read the first book featuring Kate Lange, Damaged. Looks promising, and it w...more
Julie
I enjoyed this book even more than the first one in the series. The first one was good, but this one was even better. The mystery was less complex than the first book, and I was able to follow along easier. I did figure out who the bad guy was before the author actually revealed it, but the bad guy was so creepy that it didn't really matter--I still wanted to keep reading.

I thought the author did a great job of creating believable characters. Kate Lange's personality and strengths were even more...more
Saturnus
Kate Lange, civilrättsadvokat, har haft ett fall i sin kariär.
Det fallet slutade med att hon nästan blev mördad av en seriemördare.

Nu, flera månader efter händelsen kan hon fortfarande inte släppa det.
Känslan av att bli neddragen under vatten... Hemsöker henne varje kväll.
Men det är inte bara det ho int ekan sluta tänka på.
Det är hur hennes chef Randall Barret såg på henne den natten.
Och hur hennes före detta fästman Ethan bett Kate att ta tillbaka honom.

Besluten att fortsätta framåt i sitt l...more
Star (The Bibliophilic Book Blog)
Kate Lange is still recovering from the events that transpired in Damaged, living with nightmares and insomnia when she finds herself in the middle of another murder investigation. Her boss, Randall Barrett, is suspected of murdering his ex-wife, Elise, in the middle of the night. Kate is shocked because she had just seen the woman and her children earlier in the day - not that she knew who they were - taking their stuff into a house down the street. Once Barrett is arrested, he hires Kate to de...more
Kathy
I'm still thrilled that I found DAMAGED, Callow's first book, on a used book rack in a tiny U.S. airport. I've never been a great fan of crime novels, but Callow creates characters who lack the single dimensional quality found in so much of the crime fiction out there. I'm looking forward to the upcoming release of her third novel.

Kate, a Halifax lawyer, finds herself defending her boss (a senior partner in the firm) against murder charges based on circumstantial evidence and the information pro...more
Genevieve Graham
I've been away from suspense/thrillers for a while, but I'm baaaaaack! I loved the way Pamela Callow's characters could have been the woman next door, or the kid you've seen at school ... and that includes the incredibly BAD guys! The ones you'd never suspect. She has two more books out (this was #2 and I do wish I'd read #1 first) and I'll be getting them for sure.

It's also great to know that not only is Ms Callow Canadian, she's from Nova Scotia. Practically my neighbour!
Bev Pettersen
Pamela Callow's second book is every bit as good as her first. I wasn't able to put it down until I'd reached the end. Indefensible is cleverly plotted and perfectly paced. The tension climbs as dog-loving heroine, lawyer Kate Lange, tries to unravel the mystery but is pulled closer to a twisted killer. The action moves fast as most of it takes place outside the courtroom. Eagerly looking forward to the third installment in this legal-thriller series.
Donna Alward
Speaking as a writer and a parent, I've never been able to go where Callow bravely treads - the subject of children in jeopardy. The greatness of the story comes through the intimate portrayal of the characters - their strengths and more importantly their vulnerabilities.

It's a different sort of thriller than her first book, Damaged, but I enjoyed it just as much, and I'm really looking forward to the next book, Tattooed.
Harlequin Books
Lawyer Kate Lange has another impossible case.
Michelle
Indefensible is the second book in the Kate Lange series by Pamela Callow and a Mira Novel.

Book Blurb:

Their Mother is Dead.
Their Father is Charged with her Murder.

Lawyer Kate Lange knows all about nightmares. She's survived the darkest period of her troubled life and the wounds are still raw. Now she's been handed a case that seems utterly unwinnable: defending her boss, high-pro...more
Mishel Zabala
My Rating: 5/5 stars

I never really considered myself a big thriller/suspense kind of girl but I think I’m converting into one. I think I especially like a really well written, on-the-edge-of-your-seat, can’t-stop-turning-the-pages kind of suspense novel. I couldn’t really find anything wrong with Indefensible. I enjoyed the heck out of it! It’s the second in a series and I didn’t feel lost at all. The characters were so well developed that I got a really good sense of everyone’s personality and...more
Sheree

Pamela Callow enters the illustrious realms of favoured suspense/thriller authors after turning out a brilliant 2nd book in the Kate Lange series. I was sceptical trying Pamela's debut novel, Damaged but that scepticism proved to be completely unwarrranted and I'm now convinced that Pamela Callow is a writer to be reckoned with in this genre.

Indefensible is a thrilling page turner with great character development, a clever plot and the necessary suspense and pace to keep you enthralled....more
Chris
Indefensible is the second book in the Kate Lange series. Managing partner Randall Barrett contacts junior law associate Kate Lange to care for his dog while he attends to his children after his ex wife Elise is found dead just hours after his children witness Randall and Elise in a very heated argument. When the investigation ramps up, the situation quickly escalates and Randall is soon found accused of his ex-wifes murder. After finding himself shunned by his fellow law partners and friends, h...more
Pamela
“Indefensible” follows on the heels of Pamela Callow’s debut novel “Damaged”. Sequels are at times never as good as the first. However, in this case, “Indefensible” is just as amazing as the first. Once I started I couldn’t stop. I was reading well into the night.

The story picks up a couple of months after Kate’s attack. Kate’s been working hard at the prestigious law firm and at the same time trying to overcome the fears the attack has left her with. Just when she thinks everything has calmed...more
Cheryl
Attorney Kate Lange is back. Before Kate can get too comfy, her boss calls. Randall Barrett has just become the prime suspect in his ex-wife’s murder. Helping Randall is going to take all of Kate’s strength. On one hand, Kate wants to believe Randall is innocent but on the other hand the facts are hard to ignore.

Detective Ethan Drake is adamant about stopping a killer. No children should have to find their mother’s body. Can Detective Drake prevent the killer from claiming another victim?

Indef...more
Mandy
WHAT I THOUGHT

Pamela Callow has done it again is what I thought!

I am very grateful to Callow for introducing me to one of my now favourite characters in Kate Lange. The first time we met was when I was reading Damaged and Kate is back in Indefensible.

Previously in Damaged Kate had to contend with the Body Butcher – one would have thought that was enough excitement for a lifetime. Well, Kate being Kate, she doesn’t back down from a fight and in Indefensible she is representing her boss Randall B...more
Lesley Nowlin
Mar 02, 2013 Lesley Nowlin rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: mystery, suspense, Thriller
Spoiler Alert!!
OMG, any book that keeps me up until the wee hours, 1:39am to be exact gets 5 stars from me. I enjoyed every page of this novel. Two key points that I want to mention in the novel.

First, Nick Barrett, the 15 year old son of the deceased and accused, stole the book. I know this is Kate Lang's story, but the actions of Nick had my eyes bucked, and me saying WTH. The anger in this child was unbelievable, and the author wrote it well. As with most characters, he gets it together in th...more
Kris
4 STARS

A great follow up book to Damaged. Randall Barrett is looking forward to spending time with his children this summer but things go wrong from the beginning. First his son decides to go camp instead of sailing with him, and his ex-wife reveals a devastating secret in the heat of an argument. The next morning his ex-wife is found dead from a fall of the balcony and he is the main suspect.

Kate lange is an associate at his law firm and just months ago they had sparks fly and they are still...more
Chris Baert-Wilson
Just finished this book today- In fact, started and finished this book today! I thoroughly enjoyed the read, even more than her first book, Damaged and I look forward to reading more of her books. The characters are really coming to life for me and you know it is good when you finish the book and you are wondering and thinking about the characters in the book. Yet again this is another book set in Nova Scotia ( Halifax mainly) and I am so excited at all of the excellent homegrown authors I have...more
Snogged
I did find the beginning of the book to be rather slow and felt that I didn't really get into the book until I got through the first 100 pages or so. The chapters, much like in the first book, continued to be short and therefore it seemed like this book was a fairly quick read for being slightly over 500 pages. Then again, pacing and character development are strong suits of Callow's so I'm not surprised by this.

I'm really quite fond of Kate Lange as a character. She's a hard-working heroine tha...more
Lori
Pamela Callow’s second installment of the Kate Lange thriller series is just as exciting, suspenseful and well written as the first. In Indefensible we get to follow Lange as she attempts to save Randall Barrett from the nightmare that has become his life after his ex-wife dies mysteriously. Lange’s legal prowess mixed with her compassion and complicated feelings for Barrett are the only resources protecting him from complete and utter failure as he stands to lose everything- his fortune, his ch...more
Sheila
This was the first book that I have read by this author and it was pretty good. An associate lawyer ends up involved in the lives of her boss and his family after he gets accused of murdering his ex-wife.
Deb
Lawyer Kate Lange defends her boss and senior partner in the murder of his ex-wife, when everyone, including his children thinks he did it.

I liked this book overall, especially when it got more suspenseful in the later part, but it is second in a series and there are a lot of references to the first book, making it more difficult to follow--it stands alone less successfully than other similar books I have read out of order--why I am giving it a 3 instead of a 4 (would actually love to give it a...more
Marie
This book is second in a series featuring attorney Kate Lange, and this book was even better than the first novel. I wish I could have given it four and 1/2 stars. I do recommend reading these books in order, DAMAGED, being the first in this series. Very few characters to keep track of and the captivating plot moves along at a fast pace. After these two books, I feel totally invested in the main characters and cannot wait for the third book to be out. I highly recommend these books to anyone who...more
Naomi
Pamela Callow is one of my favorite new authors. She has an unbelievable talent to weave a story and develop characters that is really rare in new authors, although debut authors are rarely boring,sometimes their characters can be. Indefensible is no different. A story which sucked me in from the beginning and was a quick read, even at over 500 pages, because the story is so good. I cannot wait for more from this author. She definitely is not to be missed!
Jamaie
Wow! Another hit by 'Callow'! This was the 2nd in the series. Lawyers, murders, mystery & who's lovin' who?...OH MY! I loved the fast pace at the end of the book. Great twist on who the killer was...I was wrong with my guess most of the book. I would highly recommend this series. The 3rd installment is called 'Tattooed' which comes out, I believe, next year....can't wait!
  • The Immortals (Taylor Jackson, #5)
  • Midnight Fear (Chasing Evil Trilogy, #2)
  • Cold Dawn (Black Falls, #3)
  • The Line Between Here and Gone (Forensic Instincts, #2)
  • They Disappeared
  • Kiss Of Death (Sophie Anderson, #5)
  • Twilight Fulfilled (Children of Twilight, #2)
  • Blood Moon (Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #2)
  • The Last Victim
  • Bad Penny (Cat Dupree, #3)
  • You Are Next
  • Body Heat  (Dept 6 Hired Guns, #2)
  • A Flame in the Wind of Death (Abbott and Lowell Forensic Mysteries #3)
In DAMAGED, Pamela drew on her experience working in a blue-chip corporate environment to create series lead Kate Lange, a struggling thirty-something lawyer whose career-making case becomes deadly as she uncovers a scam that rocks the foundations of biomedical research -- and puts her in the path of a dementing killer.

Prior to making writing a career, Pamela worked as a strategy consultant for an...more
More about Pamela Callow...
Damaged (Kate Lange #1) Tattooed (Kate Lange #3) Im Blut vereint Onderhuids (Kate Lange #3) Tourmentée:T1 - Les enquêtes de Kate Lange (Best-Sellers) (French Edition)