Northern Lights

Northern Lights

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  27,944 ratings  ·  718 reviews
The colorful, compelling novel about two lonely souls who find love-and redemption-in Lunacy, Alaska.
Published October 12th 2004 by Jove Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Northern Lights, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Northern Lights

Evaine
Michelle
"This book is a perfect example of why I love Nora Roberts so much. It takes a lot for me to want to move anywhere in the north where winters are long and harsh. Yet, even long after finishing Northern Lights, there is a part of me that really wants to move to Alaska. Her descriptions of its harshness, quirkiness, and more importantly, its beauty, leaves me breathless every time and makes me want to experience it myself, even though I hate winter and snow.[return][return]Meg is the perfect heroi...more
Lyndi
Ugh. This book gave me a raging headache. I don't remember who half the characters were and couldn't remember them while reading. There were just too many of them. Lots of time spent in awe of the snowy mountains. I mean, this is a busy book. Lots of things are happening. The repeated descriptions of the scenery weren't necessary. The repeated descriptions of depression weren't necessary. Damn near half the conversations weren't even necessary.

The reason this gets three stars instead of two: I w...more
Krista (One Love) (Critical)
I seriously loved everything about this book. First of all, it was mostly about Nate, which was AWESOME! NR NEVER writes books about the hero! And it was soooo refreshing. On top of that, I ADORED Nate. He is seriously everything I want my future husband to be. How Nate sat with the little boy for breakfast every day was sooo cute. It made me want to kiss him. I loved spending time with him as he adapted to life in Lunacy.

Okay. I loved the setting of Alaska, because I pretty much knew nothing a...more
Tina
I liked this one. Nora Robert is, in recent books of hers that I've read, 3 for 3 with the prickly heroines/cool heroes. Like Birthright and Tribute, I liked the hero more than I liked the heroine.

Police Detective Nate Burke comes to a small town Lunatic, AK (pop. around 600) to get away from the crushing despair he's felt since his partner in Baltimore died in an alley in his arms. Nate is hired on as the Sheriff of the small town. Over time he begins to heal while taking in the quirks of both...more
Andrea Hussey
Of course we start out with an unlikable character using crude language and talking about sex in a completely trashy manner, two characteristics that are sure to come in a Nora Roberts book. He’s talking about him and his group all sleeping with the same whore before they leave to go to the mountain. Ew. He’s cheating on his wife and family. How admirable.

We pick up with the main guy and there’s more crude language. The 1st person he meets tells him there’s an older woman that’ll try to get in...more
Brenda
As Ignatious Burke and his pilot, Jerk, got closer to their destination of Lunacy, Alaska, Burke was sure his life was about to end. The surrounding mountains, covered in snow and ice, the bucking plane and Burke’s churning stomach told him he really shouldn’t have climbed onto this plane. But land safely they did, and never had he been happier to stand on solid ground (albeit a frozen lake)!

Ex Baltimore cop, Nate (please!) had just been hired as Lunacy’s first Chief of Police; their small town...more
Mónica Silva
Opinião no blog http://howtoliveathousandlives.blogsp...

Assente no Alasca, este livro permitiu-me viajar até às montanhas inóspitas, ao frio cortante da neve, ao aconchego da vila de Lunacy. Senti uma vontade irreprimível de procurar esta região, encontrar um chalé onde pudesse passar o meu tempo com uma manta nas pernas, uma chávena de chocolate quente numa mão e um livro noutra. É esta a magia das descrições de Nora Roberts, fazem-nos ansiar por uma realidade bem diferente da que vivemos!

Surpr...more
Samantha
Out of the many, many Nora books I've read, this one pleasantly surprised me. It's unlike any of her other books, this one having more "gore"... but it was still such a nice read. Very well written, and of course, no one can set a scene that makes you feel like you're standing in the middle of it like Nora Roberts can, even if that scene is Alaska.
Mollie Matusick
I've only read two Nora Roberts' books--this one and Tribute--and I liked this one much better. I'm still thinking about the characters weeks after finishing. I feel like I miss them and could pick the book back up and open it to a random page just to visit with them for a little while. The story is set in a remote village in Alaska, and the main character is a cop from Baltimore who gets hired by the mayor to become chef of police after his partner was killed in the line of duty. The characters...more
Sara ♥
4.5 stars.

Man, the end was pretty intense! I was like, "WHO IS IT??? WHOOOOO IIISSSS IIIIITTT?????" while banging on my steering wheel. My 3-year-old was like... "Who you talking to mom?" Hahahaha!

The narrator was really good, too. I liked that it was a guy, since the story is primarily about Nate. And his female voices weren't totally annoying, which is a huge plus!! ;)

To sum up my thoughts/feelings on this book...

I thought Nate was wonderfully flawed and that he heals in a reasonable and beli...more
Morgan
I don't like to give bad reviews, but sorry, Nora really missed it with this one. As an Alaskan woman, I was offended by her portrayal of Alaskan women. The only character in the book I liked was her hero. Every other character came across as stupid, slutty, selfish, greedy, or a combination of all the above, and it didn't matter if it were the men or the women.

I once read a reader review in which the reader gushed about how she now knew what Alaska was really like. Well, that was Alaska in some...more
Northern Lights was interesting, but not what I've come to expect from Nora Roberts. The characters really come to life in this book and the reader gets dragged into the story. What was refreshing was that it was realistic...the hero wasn't superman, the heroine wasn't wonder woman....they were real, normal people.

However, the story did have a tendency to drag...it was really slow paced. Not to the point that you didn't want to keep reading, but you didn't have the urge to read 'just one more c...more
Debbie
Amazon Description
Roberts shines again with a nuanced tale of the Alaskan wilderness and the appealing eccentrics who cluster there. Former Baltimore cop Nate Burke accepts the unlikely post of police chief of Lunacy, Alaska (pop. 506), to stave off the depression caused by divorce and the traumatic death of his partner, for which he holds himself partly responsible. His early days in the close-knit town are quiet except for minor disturbances and a dalliance with a feisty bush pilot, Meg Gallow...more
Hayes
A little more than 2 stars, a little less than 3. Perfectly good "B Mystery", spoiled by "C Romance" (I'm being generous). It was fun, but I won't be hurrying to read another.
Kara Jorges
Nora outdoes herself again. Just when it seems she has reached her peak and her work is in danger of becoming too predictable, she manages to break new ground, even while wrapping us in the familiar comfort of her prose. This book is a little different, focusing almost exclusively on the thoughts and inner turmoils of the hero, and barley scratching the surface of the heroine. Nora has made the hero the focal point of several previous novels, but her other heroines have shown more of themselves...more
Mara
Nora Roberts is a hit-or-miss author for me. I guess I just find some of her (older) shorter books a bit old skool (and I don't like that kind of romance, where the dick-y hero punishes heroine for her own good or whatever). This one was interesting, mostly due to the unusual setting of a small town in Alaska. Saying that is a bit unfair to the main characters, though.

Meg is not your typical heroine. She has some family problems, commitment issues, and she lives to be wild and free. As a bush p...more
Jane Stewart
Really good mystery, some romance to go with it, feel good ending, enjoyable escape.

STORY BRIEF:
Nate was a cop in Baltimore. His partner was killed on the job. Nate felt responsible and was sad, withdrawn and depressed for months. He left Baltimore to become police chief of a small town in Alaska, hoping to further lose himself. He meets Meg who is a fiercely independent bush pilot, flying people and supplies around Alaska. She has more masculine traits than feminine and is the initiator of casu...more
Cheryl Landmark
Although I'm not a fan of her romance novels, I've read a number of Nora Roberts' mysteries and fantasy trilogies and I think she's a very prolific and good writer. I found this book to be no exception. I loved Nate's quirky sense of humour and his interactions with the many colourful characters in the small Alaskan town where he moves to pick up the pieces of his life and start over again. I love my female heroines to be strong and independent, but sometimes Meg was just a little too prickly an...more
Jacob Proffitt
I've come to think of some of Roberts' books as travelogues. These highlight a location (and sometimes a profession) that is unusual or distinctive in some way. Roberts does an excellent job of evoking these locations and the people who live there. She draws you into their lives and brings you not just to understand them but to see why they are who they are and what their homes mean to them as well.

Needless to say, this book is one of this type. In this one, we get to know a small town in Alaska...more
Christianne
This novel would've been perfect except for Charlene's attitude or better yet her presence. I actually though that she would have a more important role or that we would get to see her change in the book. I mean, she did change but not enough for me to be convinced that she's an okay person.

It's kinda funny though that Nate's scared of Charlene. And he's always in the middle when mother and daughter butt heads. Meg was very straight forward and headstrong. I liked her but it just bothers me th...more
Cristiana Ramos
Este livro conta-nos a história de Nate Burke, um polícia que nunca mais foi o mesmo quando assistiu à morte do seu colega, culpando-se e pensando que ele é que devia ter partido. Para tentar fugir aos seus fantasmas e para se isolar acaba por aceitar o cargo de Chefe de Polícia no Alasca, um ótimo sítio para o estado da alma dele. Se Nate achava que naquela remota vila iria descobrir a calma e a solidão, enganou-se e bem enganado! Começa por não ser totalmente aceite pela a população pelo facto...more
I’m going to open by saying it took me a long time to read this book. There was a good plot and a sweet subtle romance; the story just didn’t jump up off of the page at me.

Chief Ignatious (Nate) Burke’s story will break your heart and make you want him to have a happily ever after. His wife leaves him after telling him she was having an affair, he gets shot, his partner gets killed. It he had a dog it would have been run over by a truck. In the throes of depression, he decides to take a job at t...more
Tina "coffee and books"
As I was listening to this book I kept thinking it sounded really familiar and then I realized that I've read it before. But, since I enjoyed it so much in print version I figured what the heck? I would go ahead and finish it in audio. I'm glad I did. It's not often I get to do an audio versus print comparison. I can honestly say that this book is great in either form.

Meg Galloway is a crazy bush pilot in Lunacy Alaska. Being abandoned by her beloved father and raised by an attention hungry, nee...more
Merima
Sorry but I love Nora Roberts. Perfect read to cozy up on a couch and just float away with the characters. She paints them so well. So, not a Pulitzer prize material, but hey, sometimes we just need a well written relaxing read. Her words are well thought through, characters are believable and she paints pretty pictures with just her words. Must love that about her.
Karen
After having read the Jewels of the Sun series and thinking they were just ok, I wasn't sure what I was going to think of my next Nora Roberts book. I was thinking maybe she just wasn't my style.
A friend of mine had loaned me this book some time ago and thought it better be the next book I read so that I could return it.
I am so glad I did, because I really did enjoy this story much more than any of her other books I had read.
I found that I really liked the characters, the town and the suspense o...more
KarenF
Not my favorite Nora but even a "not a favorite Nora" is still a good read. Nate's a great hero and it's lucky that most of the book is actually his POV and his story. I didn't dislike Meg so much as I feel like I never really got to know her. She's one of the prickly Nora heroines, and while I've liked others like that, I think because we didn't get much of her POV she seemed overly prickly for no reason. She grew on me towards the end but that was with about 50 pages left in a 600+ page book....more
Ian
I sometimes wonder if there are two authors named Nora Roberts. Some of her books are very good, others are so dull beyond belief. This is one of the good ones. OK it's a little cliched but burnt out Baltimore cop Nate Burke accepts the job of Police Chief in a remote Alaskan town called Lunacy. While there he investigates a 30 year old crime.
As with many Nora Roberts books the women are tough. Nate's love interest in this book is Meg Galloway, a shy of commitment bush pilot who takes on bears...more
Eileen
this is one of her better books I think. although I don't understand why she always has to use the phrase - emptied herself into her. uck.
but I didn't figure it out til the end and I love that!
Ruth
I was pretty happy with this one. I found it very romantic, with small amounts of suspense & tons of mystery throughout. What I most liked with this one was location (Alaska), & the way Nora set up all of her scenes (Can't be beat)...You could easily picture them which enhances any read (imo). I also always like trying to guess who the bad guy is & I was surprised (which I love) as to whom it was.
Loved this romantic relationship. Found them very believable (also love). I will keep th...more
  • Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9)
  • Kill and Tell (CIA Spies, #1)
aka
Jill March
J.D. Robb
Sarah Hardesty

Eleanor Marie Robertson was born on October 10, 1950 in Silver Spring, Maryland, USA. She was the youngest of five children, also the only girl, of a marriage with Irish ancestors. Her family were avid readers, so books were always important in her life. She attended a Catholic school and credits the nuns with instilling in her a sense of discipline. During her...more
More about Nora Roberts...

“I don't kick a man when he's down, unless I'm the one who put him down in the first place. I don't put him down unless he deserves it. And I don't break my word if I give it. So I'll give you my word.” 162 likes
“What are these?”
Meg looked at the rings of keys in Nate’s hand, deliberately furrowed her brow. “Those would be keys.”
“Why do you need so many keys?”
“Because there are so many locks? Is this a quiz?”
He jingled them in his palm while she continued to give him a sunny, innocent smile. “Meg, you don’t even lock your doors half the time. What are all these keys about?”
“Well… There are times a person needs to get into a place, and hey, that place is locked. Then she would need a key.”
“And this place that, hey, is locked, wouldn’t be the property of that person. Would that be correct?”
“Techincally. But no man is an island, and it takes a village, and so on. We’re all one in the Zen universe.”
“So these would be Zen keys?”
“Exactly. Give them back.”
“I don’t think so.” He closed his fist around them. “You see, even in the Zen universe I’d hate to arrest my wife for unlawful entry.”
“I’m not your wife yet, buddy. Did you have a search warrant for those?”
“They were in plain sight. No warrant necessary.”
“Gestapo.”