Start by marking “Chugga-Chugga Choo-Choo” as Want to Read:
Chugga-Chugga Choo-Choo

Chugga-Chugga Choo-Choo

4.20  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,046 Ratings  ·  107 Reviews
Chugga Chugga Choo Choo
Published May 5th 1999 by Disney-Hyperion (first published January 1st 1999)

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.Pete the Cat by Eric LitwinThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleBark, George by Jules FeifferFrom Head to Toe by Eric Carle
How to rock toddler storytime
41st out of 327 books — 186 voters
The Little Engine That Could by Watty PiperThe Polar Express by Chris Van AllsburgFreight Train by Donald CrewsThe Little Red Caboose by Marian PotterTrains by Byron Barton
Picture Books about Trains
6th out of 128 books — 50 voters

More lists with this book...

Jeffrey
Sep 10, 2011 Jeffrey rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Parents to read to kids
great book to read to the kids. There is a cute story, but by the time we stopped reading it I was so tired of it, I think I hid it under the bed. There are cute hidden pictures to challenge your kids to find. So if you want a good book to read to your kids -- this is it but BEWARE. YOU MIGHT READ IT 100 TIMES TOO.
midnightfaerie
Jun 21, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
A decent book on trains that kept my preschoolers interested, but bored my 5 yr old. Not an original concept either, since many train books talk about the trains duties in real life, but with the pictures showing toy trains and their environment. The fact that the end showed a boy asleep with his train at the end of the story was fun for my kids, as they could totally relate. The illustrations were nice too. As an adult I love reading books that rhyme, so this gets an extra star for that as well ...more
Darcy Leech
Jan 09, 2016 Darcy Leech rated it it was amazing
Written in rhyming iambic pentameter, I have sang this song in a sing-song voice, as a rap, like an opera and read with many different tempos. The rhythm and rhyme of this book is just about perfect. As a parent, I love to read to my child, but I especially like books that give my tongue a challenge or the chance to dance. This book is a fun romp through a child's imagination that anyone who like oral interpretation can appreciate. If you want your child to love words, read a book that lets you ...more
Jason Stalides
I think we are growing out of books like this, thank merciful Zeus.
Aimee
Feb 24, 2016 Aimee rated it really liked it
Pre-schoolers love making that "whoo whooo!" sound.
Cheyenne Cortesi
Chugga-Chugga Choo-Choo is a story about the traveling of a train. How the train is loaded, where it travels and how the train gets emptied. Along the way the reader learns terms such as “caboose”, for example when it states that the caboose is red and there is only one red cart on the train. This story was very simple and therefore would be a good start for students wanting to learn simple facts about trains. This book does include common train terminology such as “freight”, “caboose”, “engine ...more
Becky
My 2 year old daughter freaked out every time she heard a train go through town. The "choo-choo" and "whooooo-whoooo's" scared her until I read this book. Now, she runs to me mimicking the trains cho-cho's and who-who's. I will forever be thankful I nabbed this book at the library - not only was it a worthy read, but it helped my daughter understand there was nothing to fear about trains. Now, she LOVES them.
Heather
Dec 23, 2013 Heather rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, for-lentil
I love the simple rhymes and the illustrations in contrasting primary colors. Sweet.
Jeff
A favorite children's book in this house. I'm surprised more reviewers haven't commented that the rhythm of the couplets is meant to mimic the chugging of a steam engine. In our house, we start with a slow tempo as the train pulls out of the station, reaching full tilt "Into tunnels, underground" before slowing back down.
Bethany Erickson
This is Ellis's favorite book, and we love it, too. It's fun to make the choo choo sounds. The rhyme and cadence of the story makes it easy to memorize, and the pictures are vibrant with so much to look at and point out. She always grabs it off the shelf for us to read to her, and it never gets old!
April
Aug 28, 2014 April rated it liked it
My son isn't huge into trains, but I thought he might like this books vibrant, crisp art. I enjoyed reading it as it has a very fun rhythm to the words and you get to go "wooooo whhoooo" a lot. I think he enjoyed it, but I doubt he will request that I read it for him again.
Stacey
Dec 30, 2015 Stacey rated it really liked it
This has grown in popularity in our house after hearing it read at library story time, with the addition of a train whistle. I nabbed our own train whistle for $1 at Target, and now we read it every night, with Olly participating as whistle blower. Fantastic!
Aug 27, 2014 Sarah rated it it was amazing
This was introduced to us at baby story time at the library. It is a great book for transportation theme or "night/day" theme in pre-k. It is kind of a toy story type idea where the toys and toy train come to life. This is a fun book!
Rosa Cline
Jul 10, 2015 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
This is a very charming child's book. Both the story and the illustrations are really nice. My special needs teen age son and my 3 year old granddaughter really enjoyed sitting looking at this book as I read it to them.
Chris
Jun 13, 2009 Chris rated it it was amazing
My daughter, who adores trains and is three years old, has cherished this book for about two years now. It is one of her favorites, if not THE favorite. The rhythmic and repetative text is wonderful, and the art is vibrant and full of little details. We still notice new stuff now and then and have read it so many times the binding is loose. The storyline is about a boy who makes a complex railway out of toys and blocks, including stuffed animals working in the railyard and a fish tank as a lake. ...more
JMRL
A rhyming story about a toy freight train's day, from loading freight in the morning to retiring to the roundhouse after the day's work is done.

Find at JMRL: http://goo.gl/KdtFKh
Anita
My son would mark this 5 stars, but he'd do that for any book with a train on the cover :-). It's a nicely paced book, but it is the sort of book that you will tire of reading more than 5 times a day (which we do...).
Kara Anderson
Mar 27, 2014 Kara Anderson rated it it was amazing
There are a lot of trains book out there and this one is the best. I have it memorized after reading it probably over 200 times. Great illustrations and great imagination.
Kim Tyo-Dickerson
My little guy from Ethiopia loved reading a book about trains that featured a brown boy just like him!
Bonnie
Nov 18, 2014 Bonnie rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Simple little book, that's perfect for toddlers who love trains & making the noises along with the story.
Adrienne
Jun 12, 2014 Adrienne rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I love the illustrations! This book is so totally adorable!
Samantha Penrose
Dec 15, 2008 Samantha Penrose rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: train lovers 18 months+
Shelves: kids-books
This is a great book! We have been checking it out, renewing it, and checking it out again for over two years and two states now!
The story has great rhythm and rhyme and the illustrations take you on a train ride around a little boys room. Travel through the country, the mountains, the valleys, over a river, past the city to the train yard and more! The little boys use of blocks and others toys around his room to create a backdrop for his train set will inspire little engineers everywhere.
Highly
Diressa Belcher
Nov 24, 2013 Diressa Belcher rated it it was amazing
Shelves: voice, setting
All aboard! The train is ready to take off at sunset. The books tells the cute story of the train's adventure throughout the day! At the end of the train's journey, the engineer falls fast asleep after being tucked in.

This book is a great example for teaching voice. Students can visualize and make the sounds of the train's engine, wheels and passengers.

This book is also great for describing setting. Students can go one step further with setting, they can describe the time of day a event takes pl
bernadette
Oct 09, 2011 bernadette rated it liked it
Recommends it for: toddlers
Shelves: picture-books
A great read aloud book for the toddler set with a lot of repetition of "chugga chugga choo choo" and "whooo whooo" as a train travels through a landscape created by a child to set up loading docks, mountains, tunnels, cities, etc. as it travels around the child's room. A cute book and it's currently one of my 2 year old daughter's favorite bedtime stories at the moment. She likes pointing out the different items in the pictures, such as princesses, dogs, cowboys, etc., as well as the train nois ...more
Heather
Jul 06, 2015 Heather rated it really liked it
Not our most favorite train book but it's nice to have added to the mix. The creativity of using toys and blocks, a fish tank and other items around the bedroom for creative play
Is wonderful and I hope my son will be inspired by what he sees.
Jen
I used to think this book was overrated until sharing it with my third child. By demand, I have spent the last month reading it multiple times a day (our record is six times in one sitting), and I am reluctantly beginning to respect it. The illustrations are somewhat charming and the writing does eventually endear itself with its cheery, sing-song tone. I suppose I'll eventually learn to appreciate any book that my children love, and this is one of them.
Amy
Dec 10, 2013 Amy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
I read this last year to my then eight year old and we both thought 'what a boring silly book'. It rhymes but other than that it felt like it had nothing going for it. Fast forward to last week when I read it to my newborn. Loved it. Great lively pictures, fun rhymes, interesting book. I highly recommend this book to very young children. I've read it at least two dozen times and I think I can stand reading it at least a hundred more.
Mary
This is a fabulous rhyming book that small children will love! Its repetition gives kids something they can connect and participate with while the story is being read. The images are large and colorful and perfect for a large group of children. They are made of toys, which is another connection kids can make to the book. The book ends with an allusion to the possibility that the little boy dreamed the book into life. A lovely story!
Ebookwormy
Sep 18, 2008 Ebookwormy rated it liked it
It seems the main theme of train books is a little boy on an all day imaginary train ride through his room. Whether or not this is really of interest to kids or a comforting illusion for parents is not yet clear to me. Regardless, we like this one best of the bunch. The illustrations are particularly good, and we like the echoing action of the Chugga Chugga... whoo whoo!
  • My Car
  • Hello, Day!
  • A Train Goes Clickety-Clack
  • Hooray For Fish!
  • The Goodnight Train
  • Who Ate All the Cookie Dough?
  • Barnyard Banter