Start by marking “If I Could Keep You Little...” as Want to Read:
If I Could Keep You Little...

If I Could Keep You Little...

IF I COULD KEEP YOU LITTLE exemplifies Marianne's real insights into the human spirit and her beautiful illustrations that will touch children and adults and that are sure to be cherished for generations to come. Taking the reader on a journey of memory and expectation, IF I COULD KEEP YOU LITTLE showcases the fleeting little moments that reveal how a child changes and gro ...more
Published November 1st 2010 by Sourcebooks Jabberwocky (first published August 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about If I Could Keep You Little..., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If I Could Keep You Little...

Graduates in Wonderland by Jessica PanOh, The Places You'll Go! by Dr. SeussIf I Could Keep You Little... by Marianne RichmondOnly One You by Linda KranzLove You Forever by Robert Munsch
Books for Graduation
3rd out of 15 books — 8 voters
Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleMoo, Baa, La La La! by Sandra BoyntonBrown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.Guess How Much I Love You by Sam McBratney
Books for one-year-old children
176th out of 274 books — 210 voters

More lists with this book...

"If I could keep you little, I'd keep you close to me.
But then I'd miss you growing into who you're meant to be!"

Such a sweet and touching book about how bittersweet it is to see your little ones growing up. As a parent, you want to keep your baby little, but you also want to see them grow and become their own person... that's what this book is all about, that feeling of being torn between the two.

This is one of those books that gets me emotional every single time, especially that line up above
Mar 27, 2016 Michael rated it it was amazing
Shelves: the-kids-books
Maybe a little better for the parents reading to their kids than for the kids themselves!
Carly Gates
Jul 13, 2013 Carly Gates rated it it was amazing
Shelves: family
This book was adorable. I want to buy it for my own personal library when I have children of my own. It's a good book for parents to read to show children that even thought they want them to be their little baby forever, they are proud of all the big boy/girl things they are doing now.
Clara Galant
Oct 16, 2016 Clara Galant added it
Shelves: october
This book was very sweet.
Dec 09, 2010 Maria rated it it was amazing
What I Can Tell You:
Awwww......This is really the sweetest book. It says everything I try to remind myself about as my kids change over the day to day. Like when I ask my daughter to stop growing because I won't be able to pick her up anymore. Or when I get teary eyed over the fact that they are growing out of their clothes so fast. Or, when they don't ask me to read to them as much any more, or need me to get their snacks and drinks.

I was thankfully very aware of how quick their babyhood would
Cindy Hudson
Dec 09, 2010 Cindy Hudson rated it it was amazing
If I Could Keep You Little, written and illustrated by Marianne Richmond, is sure to resonate with both parents and growing children who are proud of their accomplishments.

Each page features a mom or dad talking about all the special moments they could hold onto if they could keep their little ones little. Moments like singing lullabies, holding your child’s hand, kissing cuts and scrapes and finger painting together plus more are featured.

Also highlighted is the flip side and everything parents
Van Phan
(1 beginning books) Mother Goose

The story about between parents and their child. The process of growing up and being independent for the child is something that parents fear of doing but know that they should let their child experienced. The book reflects on what the child feel as well as the parents’ perspective. The colors in the illustration is very neutral, it’s not heavy in dark colors. The book has light pastel colors and lines are used to show the outline of the objects which keeps the il
Margaret Chind
Dec 04, 2010 Margaret Chind rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Margaret by: April Sirianni
As any parent can tell you there a the precious moments where you want your baby to stay just the way they are right then forever. But then looking to the future I personally am excited about the idea of doing sewing crafts together and sharing books and stories. I look forward to a four year old with curls in pajamas squealing about princesses. Yet also... one day I'll look forward to the real far future where she continues to grow, but for now, I'll focus here. If I could keep you little...

Samantha Savage
Mar 07, 2014 Samantha Savage rated it liked it
A new addition to our children's library, and our first by author Marianne Richmond. A cute little book about having to let our children go to let them grow. Our son hasn't been terribly responsive to it, but its difficult to get him to sit still for much. Only time will tell if his appreciation will grow, but I don't mind as I feel the book was really written for me haha. The bittersweet feeling of children growing older, the theme of the book, is definitely something for the parents. The artwo ...more
Apr 04, 2016 Lauren rated it really liked it
If I Could Keep You Little by Marianne Robinson is a story that can be used to read a simple good night story, or to "celebrate everyday milestones". The point of view is of loving parent or guardian speaking to a young child. The parent is lamenting the fact that a child has to grow up, but then looks at the point of view that he/she would miss all the fantastic milestones if the child stayed young. "If I could keep you little, I'd keep you close to me....But then I'd miss you growing into the ...more
Age: 1 year
Highly recommend! We love this book for many reasons. First, the message is sweet and a great reminder to moms and dads each night that fun, fascinating futures are in store for our little ones, especially when we feel sad and nostalgic about how fast they grow. Second, I particularly like that this book has diverse characters. My son lives in a diverse world and it's nice to see kids and adults of color in this book, just like he sees in the neighborhood, at daycare, etc. I've notice
May 23, 2013 Kaylee rated it it was amazing
I was looking for a book for my mom’s birthday gift when I spotted If I Could Keep You Little… . Perfect, I thought to myself. Recently I graduated high school, so this story’s title reminded me a lot of my life right now so I bought it. I’m not gonna lie I didn’t read the whole thing before I gave it to her so I was a bit surprised when I gave it to her and she started crying. So later I made a point to read the book and the next thing I knew I was crying too. This story is relatable to all bec ...more
Apr 07, 2012 Crystal rated it it was amazing
This book is a great read for little children and adults alike. Richmond captures the duality of parenthood; you want to keep your child little forever, but at the same time, you delight in seeing him grow up and learn new things. It's similar to "I Love You, Forever;" if you love that book I think you will enjoy this one as well.

This book is a great read aloud, and would make a great gift for any new parent. Warning: it will probably bring tears to your eyes. This is a favorite of ours that my
Jul 23, 2014 Tam rated it really liked it
I'm sure I loved this book more than my 6-year-old did. He's starting first grade next week so I read this book at the perfect time. I don't want him to grow up yet I know he must.

Excerpt from the book:
"If I could keep you little, I'd hum you lullabies.
But then I'd miss you singing your concert's big surprise.
If I could keep you little, I'd hold your hand everywhere.
But then I'd miss you knowing, 'I can go . . . you stay there.'
If I could keep you little, I'd kiss your cuts and scrapes.
But then
Tyler Dykema
My mom recently got this book and I quick read it after her. It's basically a children's(?) book about the unique and bittersweet struggle a mother goes through while watching her kids grow up. It expresses the simultaneous sadness of no longer spending all of each other's time together while also being proud of the child's growth and excitement for the future. It's actually really touching and I absolutely love the art work. Even though it's like 20 pages and took like 3 minutes to read, I can ...more

When you are close to a child, you realize how fast time really goes. It seems like only yesterday I was helping care for my nephew after he was born. He's three now and I have no idea where the time went. If I Could Keep You Little is not only something I thought when looking at Damien, it's also a great book. I read it to him and he followed along and looked up at me smiling. It's a beautiful reminder of what it's like to love a child.
Feb 21, 2011 Marisa rated it it was amazing
My current favorite children's book seems to be written with my daughter in mind. I literally started to tear up in the bookstore when I read it. When she was four, we made a pact that she would always stay four. She's now seven and it has been wonderful to watch her grow and develop into her own person. The rewards of parenting never end (neither do the challenges). This book is all about the rewards! LOVE IT!
Apr 27, 2015 Leslie rated it it was amazing
This book is so darn cute! My brother recently left our home to join the Military so this book really hit a nerve because I truly wish he could stay little forever. Although this is a children's book I also feel it helps parents (or overly attached older sisters) help cope with the fact that your little ones will eventually leave the nest.
Shayla Drumm
Aug 27, 2012 Shayla Drumm rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
"If I Could Keep You Little" illuminates the struggle parents have as their children grow up - we want them to remain little, but if they did we would miss all the incredible experiences they have yet to come. This is a very sweet book that was perfect to read to my preschool class on the first day of school. Parents everywhere will relate to and enjoy this timeless book.
Dave Wilson
Dec 13, 2011 Dave Wilson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 544-advchldlit
I'm not the mushy type...ok, I am. This book brings all the feelings a parent experiences to life as we don't our children to grow up too fast. It is the little things that we cherish; "I gotta use the bathroom" or "Dad, what's the biggest grocery store in the world?" The days of the high chairs and sippy cups eventually transition. Great book down memory lane and why we love our kids.
Sarah(All The Book Blog Names Are Taken)
I tear up at the end every time - thus why I feel this is geared just as much at parents as our wonderful little ones. Beautiful story and illustrations and a good reminder that no matter how badly I might want Eleanor to stay my little snuggle bug forever, the person she's becoming as she grows is amazing.
Dec 11, 2013 Alyson rated it really liked it
Some children's books speak more to adults than to kids, and sometimes that's important as the parent is reading to a child--it helps us stay with the experience of reading out loud and spending meaningful time with our children. But the book must also appeal to the child, and this one does, depicting the nice kinds of things they can look forward to as they stop being little.
Melissa Trumbo
Aug 10, 2016 Melissa Trumbo added it
Shelves: poetry
I loved this book! I actually caught myself getting a little emotional as I read it. It talks about not wanting your child to grow up and how we want to continue doing things for them. It then shows all that we'd be missing if we don't, such as creating their own pictures or reading their own words. Each page is perfectly rhymed and has playful illustrations.
The Sunday Book Review
I liked this book a lot. As children get older and more independent, this book spelled out everything a parent goes through. Wanting to keep them their babies, but knowing they must let their children grow up and make their own mistakes. The illustrations are endearing and will put a smile on both parents and children. It's a must read for every parent.
Feb 21, 2012 Stefani rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-picture
It was no surprise that this was a warm-fuzzy-feeling book. The pleasant surprise was how well-written it is, as well as how it encourages the child to grow up. A sweet celebration of children, their accomplishments (and learning lessons) while growing older, and parental support through it all.
Feb 22, 2015 Nefertiti rated it it was ok
Shelves: peer-instructor
This book was well written and their were cute drawing throughout the book. The repetition of a few sentences makes it easy for children to learn and remember. This book could be a reminder for parents to cherish the now when it comes to children growing up because the moments don't last forever.
Dec 31, 2012 Amberly rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This book contains a sweet message. The rhymes are not smooth enough and some of the 'if I could... but then I would miss...' don't go together all that well. But, overall a nice book for adults. While it is a picture book, children would not enjoy it.
Jamie Ruppert
Jul 31, 2014 Jamie Ruppert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perfect gift for parents sending kids to middleschool. It's a children's book, but hits the heart of parents who are learning to begin the process of letting go. If you loved, "I'll Love You Forever" this one will be a hit. It's a healthier take on loving your kids and watching them grow.
Jan 28, 2012 Prom rated it it was amazing
I love this book. It reminds me that its okay for my little kids to grow up; that its a good thing for them to do. I read a lot and really appreciate the whole growing up process a whole lot more after I do. A great book!
Jul 05, 2012 Amber rated it it was amazing
Tear jerkers for bedtime. My little one just turned 6. I had to hold back the tears turn off the lights and lunge for a kleenex. So so sweet, so true, so perfect! I will treasure our copy forever and ever.
  • Biscuit's Pet & Play Halloween
  • Part-time Princess
  • I Love You More
  • You Are My Sunshine
  • God Gave Us You
Author and illustrator Marianne Richmond has touched the lives of millions through her delightful gift books, greeting cards and gift products distributed worldwide. Her enchanting artistic style and sincere sentiment, which adorn a growing number of products truly offer fans the most heartfelt way to celebrate the feelings of life.
More about Marianne Richmond...