Start by marking “If I Could Keep You Little...” as Want to Read:
If I Could Keep You Little...

If I Could Keep You Little...

4.5 of 5 stars 4.50  ·  rating details  ·  194 ratings  ·  40 reviews
IF I COULD KEEP YOU LITTLE exemplifies Marianne's real insights into the human spirit and her beautiful illustrations that will touch children and adults and that are sure to be cherished for generations to come. Taking the reader on a journey of memory and expectation, IF I COULD KEEP YOU LITTLE showcases the fleeting little moments that reveal how a child changes and gro ...more
Published November 1st 2010 by Sourcebooks Jabberwocky (first published August 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about If I Could Keep You Little..., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If I Could Keep You Little...

Van Phan
(1 beginning books) Mother Goose

The story about between parents and their child. The process of growing up and being independent for the child is something that parents fear of doing but know that they should let their child experienced. The book reflects on what the child feel as well as the parents’ perspective. The colors in the illustration is very neutral, it’s not heavy in dark colors. The book has light pastel colors and lines are used to show the outline of the objects which keeps the il
Samantha Savage
A new addition to our children's library, and our first by author Marianne Richmond. A cute little book about having to let our children go to let them grow. Our son hasn't been terribly responsive to it, but its difficult to get him to sit still for much. Only time will tell if his appreciation will grow, but I don't mind as I feel the book was really written for me haha. The bittersweet feeling of children growing older, the theme of the book, is definitely something for the parents. The artwo ...more
Carly Gates
This book was adorable. I want to buy it for my own personal library when I have children of my own. It's a good book for parents to read to show children that even thought they want them to be their little baby forever, they are proud of all the big boy/girl things they are doing now.
Cindy Hudson
If I Could Keep You Little, written and illustrated by Marianne Richmond, is sure to resonate with both parents and growing children who are proud of their accomplishments.

Each page features a mom or dad talking about all the special moments they could hold onto if they could keep their little ones little. Moments like singing lullabies, holding your child’s hand, kissing cuts and scrapes and finger painting together plus more are featured.

Also highlighted is the flip side and everything parents
Maria
What I Can Tell You:
Awwww......This is really the sweetest book. It says everything I try to remind myself about as my kids change over the day to day. Like when I ask my daughter to stop growing because I won't be able to pick her up anymore. Or when I get teary eyed over the fact that they are growing out of their clothes so fast. Or, when they don't ask me to read to them as much any more, or need me to get their snacks and drinks.

I was thankfully very aware of how quick their babyhood would
Margaret
Dec 04, 2010 Margaret rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Margaret by: April Sirianni
As any parent can tell you there a the precious moments where you want your baby to stay just the way they are right then forever. But then looking to the future I personally am excited about the idea of doing sewing crafts together and sharing books and stories. I look forward to a four year old with curls in pajamas squealing about princesses. Yet also... one day I'll look forward to the real far future where she continues to grow, but for now, I'll focus here. If I could keep you little...

Th
Jamie Ruppert
Perfect gift for parents sending kids to middleschool. It's a children's book, but hits the heart of parents who are learning to begin the process of letting go. If you loved, "I'll Love You Forever" this one will be a hit. It's a healthier take on loving your kids and watching them grow.
Kaylee Hammond
I was looking for a book for my mom’s birthday gift when I spotted If I Could Keep You Little… . Perfect, I thought to myself. Recently I graduated high school, so this story’s title reminded me a lot of my life right now so I bought it. I’m not gonna lie I didn’t read the whole thing before I gave it to her so I was a bit surprised when I gave it to her and she started crying. So later I made a point to read the book and the next thing I knew I was crying too. This story is relatable to all bec ...more
Kathryn
Summary: Why a mother would want to keep a child little, but also why she wants to see him/her grow up.

Why I Read This: I got bored at Amanda's baby shower.

Review: This was a super-sweet book.
Melanie
Talk about a children's book that will touch a mother's heart! I know I cried! I want to keep my kids little, but know I'll miss out on what's to come, just as this books shows.
Casey
Overly sentimental and I'm not a fan of the art (watercolors). I imagine people love this book. Meh, not for me.
Tam
I'm sure I loved this book more than my 6-year-old did. He's starting first grade next week so I read this book at the perfect time. I don't want him to grow up yet I know he must.

Excerpt from the book:
"If I could keep you little, I'd hum you lullabies.
But then I'd miss you singing your concert's big surprise.
If I could keep you little, I'd hold your hand everywhere.
But then I'd miss you knowing, 'I can go . . . you stay there.'
If I could keep you little, I'd kiss your cuts and scrapes.
But then
Crystal
This book is a great read for little children and adults alike. Richmond captures the duality of parenthood; you want to keep your child little forever, but at the same time, you delight in seeing him grow up and learn new things. It's similar to "I Love You, Forever;" if you love that book I think you will enjoy this one as well.

This book is a great read aloud, and would make a great gift for any new parent. Warning: it will probably bring tears to your eyes. This is a favorite of ours that my
Bridget

When you are close to a child, you realize how fast time really goes. It seems like only yesterday I was helping care for my nephew after he was born. He's three now and I have no idea where the time went. If I Could Keep You Little is not only something I thought when looking at Damien, it's also a great book. I read it to him and he followed along and looked up at me smiling. It's a beautiful reminder of what it's like to love a child.
Marisa
My current favorite children's book seems to be written with my daughter in mind. I literally started to tear up in the bookstore when I read it. When she was four, we made a pact that she would always stay four. She's now seven and it has been wonderful to watch her grow and develop into her own person. The rewards of parenting never end (neither do the challenges). This book is all about the rewards! LOVE IT!
Dave Wilson
I'm not the mushy type...ok, I am. This book brings all the feelings a parent experiences to life as we don't our children to grow up too fast. It is the little things that we cherish; "I gotta use the bathroom" or "Dad, what's the biggest grocery store in the world?" The days of the high chairs and sippy cups eventually transition. Great book down memory lane and why we love our kids.
Alyson
Some children's books speak more to adults than to kids, and sometimes that's important as the parent is reading to a child--it helps us stay with the experience of reading out loud and spending meaningful time with our children. But the book must also appeal to the child, and this one does, depicting the nice kinds of things they can look forward to as they stop being little.
Shayla Drumm
"If I Could Keep You Little" illuminates the struggle parents have as their children grow up - we want them to remain little, but if they did we would miss all the incredible experiences they have yet to come. This is a very sweet book that was perfect to read to my preschool class on the first day of school. Parents everywhere will relate to and enjoy this timeless book.
The Sunday Book Review
I liked this book a lot. As children get older and more independent, this book spelled out everything a parent goes through. Wanting to keep them their babies, but knowing they must let their children grow up and make their own mistakes. The illustrations are endearing and will put a smile on both parents and children. It's a must read for every parent.
Stefani
It was no surprise that this was a warm-fuzzy-feeling book. The pleasant surprise was how well-written it is, as well as how it encourages the child to grow up. A sweet celebration of children, their accomplishments (and learning lessons) while growing older, and parental support through it all.
Amberly
This book contains a sweet message. The rhymes are not smooth enough and some of the 'if I could... but then I would miss...' don't go together all that well. But, overall a nice book for adults. While it is a picture book, children would not enjoy it.
Callie Risse
This book was so sweet! It is written from a mother's point of view who wants her child to stay little, but does not want to miss the child growing up. I love the way this book focused on the individuality of children and becoming your own person.
Prom
I love this book. It reminds me that its okay for my little kids to grow up; that its a good thing for them to do. I read a lot and really appreciate the whole growing up process a whole lot more after I do. A great book!
Gabriele
LOVE this book!! This is a book for every mother out there! Such a simple, yet sweet reminder of growing up and how we wish we could keep them little, but all the other wonderful things we would miss if we did. Superb!
Peanut
MOMMY: This is a full 5 stars for me! Adorable and sweet, this book is something every parent will appreciate.

PEANUT: He enjoys this book when I read it but never specifically requests it during storytime.
Amber
Tear jerkers for bedtime. My little one just turned 6. I had to hold back the tears turn off the lights and lunge for a kleenex. So so sweet, so true, so perfect! I will treasure our copy forever and ever.
Jennifer Kloos
I cannot read this without crying. I dare you to try it...
Cindy
I found this book 2 years ago as I was wondering through Target. I absolutely fell in love with it. I have been searching for it ever since and finally got it for Mother's Day this year. Great book!
Rivkah.
I thought it was a cute story book. I felt that the message was good, but it fallowed a similar story line of all the "mommy to baby" books. The illustrations were nice but not outstanding.
April
I got this as a gift for our last baby and absolutely love it. I will be putting it on my go to list to give to new moms. My six and nine year old liked listening to it too.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • You Are My Cupcake
  • Little Goblins Ten
  • Good Morning, Good Night!: A Touch & Feel Bedtime Book
  • Not All Princesses Dress in Pink
Author and illustrator Marianne Richmond has touched the lives of millions through her delightful gift books, greeting cards and gift products distributed worldwide. Her enchanting artistic style and sincere sentiment, which adorn a growing number of products truly offer fans the most heartfelt way to celebrate the feelings of life.
More about Marianne Richmond...
I Love You So... I Wished for You: An Adoption Story Hooray for You!: A Celebration of "You-Ness" I Believe in You I'll Never Let You Go