Start by marking “Waiting for Odysseus” as Want to Read:

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  244 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Four women.

Four stories.

One man's journey.

Odysseus. His epic tale has been told countless times, but rarely is it heard through the voices of the women who loved and served him. Penelope, Circe, Athena, Eurycleia: Theirs are the silent voices, the voices of longing, waiting, strength. They are the women who moved him and motivated him. And now they shed new light on his ag
Published June 30th 2008 by Simon Pulse (first published March 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Waiting for Odysseus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Waiting for Odysseus

I was impressed. I didn't think I'd enjoy anything that included Greek Mythology, but I was wrong. Waiting For Odysseus by Clemence McLaren takes you on highly daring adventures with twists of heroism and romance (a read for both girls and boys). Included in this book, are four different perspectives of four different women emanating their thoughts on Odysseus' journey. The four women are Penelope, Circe, Athena, and Eurycleia. First, the story starts off with Penelope; a passionate love affair ...more
Four women retell The Odyssey through their relationships with Odysseus in this historical fiction piece. McLaren introduces Penelope, the faithful wife who fell for her warrior husband at first sight; Circe, the seductive siren who kept him captive for years; Athena, the goddess who favored him, and Eurycleia, his nursemaid.

Impressively, each voice is distinct. Athena is done particularly well, with just the right degree of arrogance and benevolence befitting a goddess. She is a master at manip
Sibusiswe Soko
Waiting for Odysseus by Clemence McLaren is a really interesting and captivating book, I really liked it. Actually this is my first time reading an actual book about Greek mythology, since we have been reading short stories about Greek mythology. I think this will be the beginning of me reading Greek mythology books.

There are several people who are telling the story: Penelope who was Odysseus’ wife, Circe who held him for years as her lover, Athena who helped Odysseus to return home and even w
A Y.A. book about the women of The Odyssey? Sure, sounds fine.

But this is more-or-less a boring translation with minor shifts in point of view. The narrators--Penelope (wife who is obsessed with Ody), Circe (captor who is obsessed with Ody), Athena (Goddess who is obsessed with Ody), and Eurycleia (nurse who is obsessed with Ody)--are flimsy, flimsy, flimsy characters. Penelope has almost no character development beyond her contrast with Helen, and Eurycleia's inverted voice is almost painful t
This book annoyed me a lot. It can very close to being a DNF, but I kept reminding myself that it wasn't a very long book.

This book tried to breathe new life into the myths, but failed miserably. It was basically a retelling of the myth with bad narrators and borderline accuracy.

One thing in particular that annoyed me about the narrators was what information they found important. Odysseus' issues with the cyclops and the lotus eaters takes only a couple paragraphs, but the author feels the need
Briana King
I liked the book waiting for Odysseus and I would recommend it for high school and college students to read. It is very fascinating, and leaves you wondering what will happen next throughout the entire story. This book is filled with many suspenseful moments that you would have never foreseen. I was amazingly surprised when an ordinary man was able to inflict a twinge onto a Cyclopes caused by puncturing his eye, blinding him. The overall story was about the main character, Odysseus, feeling los ...more
Jeremy Williamson
I believe people should read this book because you better understand odysseus's relationships. it also may be counter argued that it doesn't relate to the real Odyssey story.
I would like to ask the author why her reason for writing the story of this perspective.
You'll be surprised from reading this book and the many actions of Odysseus.
In many cases of Odyssey heroic acts reminds me when i helped my friend from not drowning to death.
From looking at many perspectives at the book many people se
Elisha Hollis
Told from the point of views of Penelope, Circe, Athena, and Eurycleia, you follow Odysseus on his journey home after fighting in the Trojan War. Originally, I thought this book was going to be great and then I was disappointed because my expectations were too high I guess. I loved the different point of views and some of the stories, like the one about Circe turning men into pigs and the bow during the festival for Apollo but, I was really didn't like the neediness of the women, like how Penelo ...more
Chick lit, not unlike my queries to Socchan (Socrates) in pretending to speak to Classicists.

Not hard to read by any means, but not what I'm used to experiencing (um, Graves).

Short stories are easy to get through - by this logic, I shouldn't have such trouble with Chekhov. So, by this I mean that the short stories appeal due to their lack of necessity of intense focus. This is why I didn't say I disliked this.

Oh well, I suppose I am feeling inimical to literature today.
I think that people should read this book. It keeps you guessing what may happen next! I was surprised when an average man was able to stab a giant cyclops in the eye and blind him. I can relate to this book, because I have felt lost in life before, and used the help of God to find my way back home. I wonder if the author has gotten lost in life before, because it seems that they wrote this book as though its an easy place to get lost.
I think that the book was very informational about the backstory and extra details that are not included in the Odyssey. It still keeps most of the main parts of the Odyssey but adds details on why things happened. It is very relatable if you have ever left home for something or moved away.
Iris Sardeneta
This book is about Odysseus and his adventures before and sfter the Trojan war. In the book after marrying Penelope Odysseus goes to war and after the war has ended he is determined to go back home to his family. But before he could get home he is faced with many challenges like Poseidon trying to kill him, the Cyclops killing some of his crew, and Circe who tries to keep him for herself. My favorite character is Penelope because she is strong, smart, and loyal. "Until I saw your face, your quie ...more
Sigrid Fry-Revere
I loved this book, but then I'm a Grecophile, and Athena and Penelope have always been two of my favorite women. I feel like this is the story every young girl writes between the lines for herself when reading the Iliad and the Odyssey.
Aug 22, 2010 Megan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Megan by: Kathy
3 stars for the story and 4 stars for the Author’s Epilogue (basically the Author’s Afterward)

The story of The Odyssey as told from four different perspectives all women. Penelope, Odysseus’ wife; Circe, Odysseus’ lover and sorceress; Athena, goddess of wisdom and war, Odysseus’ patron and protector; and finally Eurycleia, an old serving woman; nursemaid to Odysseus when he was young.

This is a fun and fast read, but what I found most fascinating was the Author’s Epilogue. I agree with Ms. McLar
A fun, light read that views "The Odyssey" from a new perspective - that of the women in the story. I wish the author would write more of these!
This was the type of book where the premise was awesome, but the follow through was just alright. The stories are so short that you really don't have time to connect with the characters. Also, most of the book is just a 3rd person narrative telling of The Odyssey. It's like 'Odysseus did this/this is what happened' without even any personal interjection. The one exception of Eurycleia, who had some pretty hilarious running commentary on the goings on, it wasn't the re-telling I was expecting and ...more
I really liked this book. Especially the character Athena because she is a very determined character thoughout the hole book. She kept trying to help Odyssues get back to his family thorough the hole book and kept fighting the gods to stay awway and let him get home. I loved how she rescued him from the island with the crazy person. I really like her because she just kept fighting bye Odyssues side and never gave up and kept going side bye side with him.-----------------------
Nina Teal
I had high hopes for this book.
It was definitely an interesting take on the subject. I was very interested to finally hear what Penelope would have had to say about her 20-year wait.
The writing was simple and quite frankly, not very good at all. I finished this book in a 1-hour stint on the treadmill, and was expecting to get a lot more out of it.
Penelope, Cyclopes, Odysseus, and ….. (mythology) teen version
Overall, I remember this book being mostly clean. There is a lot one can learn from this book, concerning Mythology. The author does a great job of breaking down complex literature. McLaren makes mythology fun and interesting! I really enjoyed her work.
I liked this book especially because it managed to turn the situation around and, instead of reading about what Odysseus had done and went through on his way to Troy and back, you get hear the women's side of the story and what they done and went through while he was on his famous adventure! I really liked it! :)
Michelle Garrette
I really enjoyed this book and I'm sad that I left it waiting on my shelf for so long! The story of the Odyssey (sort of) is new and refreshing now that it's being told from the POV of women close to the hero. I love Penelope, but I'm a still bit put out with Odysseus for the whole Circe/Kalypso business.
Heather Puckett
I was utterly disappointed by this book. It was written from the perspectives of five of the female characters in Homer's The Odyssey, so I was really excited to read it. However, the characters were one-dimensional and the writing was trite and uninteresting. Don't bother reading this one.
no, this book is pathetic, do not read it, the idea is a very good one, but it is very poorly executed. It basically summarizes the Odyssey, though some of her facts are wrong..... The pace is slow, and the writing style is almost nonexistent.
Kristy McRae
This was a fast, entertaining read. Odysseus's journey, told from the POV of four women who cared about him--his wife Penelope, the witch Circe, the goddess Athena, and his servant Eurycleia. An interesting twist on a classic tale.
I read this one back in high school. I liked it so much that I forgot to return it to the high school library and wound up needing to buy the copy from them.
I like Clemence McLaren anyways, and I really enjoyed Aphrodites Blessings and inside the walls of Troy. Half-way-through, and good already!
Very curious to read a retelling of the story of Odysseus. Especially as the original can seem a bit taxing at times.

Will look for this!
Elah Nicolas
It was an interisting combination of stories...I honestly loved it, maybe except I felt a little short, like I never wanted the story to end.
  • Lost in the Labyrinth
  • Ithaka
  • Ion
  • Alcestis
  • Joanna (Sunfire, #5)
  • Odysseus in the Serpent Maze (Young Heroes, #1)
  • Achilles
  • Dusssie
  • Marilee (Sunfire, #9)
  • Five Plays: Antigone, Eurydice, The Ermine, The Rehearsal, Romeo and Jeannette
  • Susannah (Sunfire, #2)
  • Goddess of Yesterday
  • Antigone - In a Version by Bertolt Brecht (Paperback)
  • Caroline (Sunfire, #7)
  • Tess And The Highlander (MacPherson Clan, #6)
  • Quiver
  • The Case of the Rock & Roll Mystery (The New Adventures of Mary-Kate & Ashley, #6)
  • Aria of the Sea
Clemence McLaren was born in New Jersey on November 3, 1938 to Edward Dobson, an engineer, and Grayce Berg Dobson. She attended Rutgers University from which she received a degree in 1960. In the same year she married Robert McLaren. Together, the couple had two children, Kevin and Heather.

For a number of years she and her husband taught overseas. During this time they built a cottage on a small G
More about Clemence McLaren...