Start by marking “Photography” as Want to Read:
Photography

Photography

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  517 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
For introductory and advanced courses in Photography. This introductory photography text teaches students how to use the medium confidently and effectively by emphasizing both technique and visual awareness.
Paperback, Eighth Edition, 424 pages
Published April 9th 2004 by Prentice Hall (first published January 1st 1970)

To ask other readers questions about Photography, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Photography

The Ansel Adams Guide by John P. SchaeferThe Camera by Ansel AdamsThe Negative by Ansel AdamsThe Print by Ansel AdamsThe Ansel Adams Guide by John P. Schaefer
Photographer's School
8th out of 31 books — 3 voters
Kodachrome, End of the Run by Bill BarrettAmericans in Kodachrome 1945-1965 by Guy StricherzSouthern Californialand by Charles PhoenixKodachrome Memory by Nathan BennKodachrome by Els Rijper
Best Books About Film Photography
9th out of 39 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Anda
Apr 28, 2009 Anda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
Without a doubt, this is the best book ever for photography. Begins with "how to load film" and runs through every minor detail you could ever care to know. Then, it ends with a lovely recap of photography history. This book is hefty, weighing-in at about 10 pounds (not a real measurement) and 500 pages (real page count, yes). It's also 14x14 inches in size. I think the current editions are a couple hundred dollars, so buy a used one. This is the 7th edition and I guess it's as good as the curre ...more
Notturna
Jun 12, 2011 Notturna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An immensely detailed and very helpful book. It's name is quite apt as in many respects this tome feels like the alpha and omega of photography (from a technical aspect, of course). The chapters are well written, concise and easily understood. With a subject as detailed as photography it can be quite overwhelming to broach for the first time, but there is nothing in this book that made me feel over my head.

I borrowed it from the library to augment my photography class, but as soon as I am finan
Stephen
Jun 10, 2009 Stephen rated it really liked it
THE book on photographic. I don't rate it 5 stars because of the $100 price, and the need for more updating with current use of software and digital photography.
Daniel Golden
Nov 07, 2011 Daniel Golden rated it liked it
A good book about the basics of photography, but it usually doesn't go into enough detail, and it's retardedly expensive. They could have left out a few of their giant glossy photographs, and gone into more detail about what f-stop means (e.g., what's the lowest f-stop a lens can have? Why?). I thought I would use this book as a reference, but once you read it once, you pretty much know everything.
Phyllis Burstein, DePaul Art Education
Should be on every photography teacher's bookshelf. The newer versions include digital photography, from a traditional photographer's perspective. Make sure you have the most recent version of the book as digital photography is constantly changing. (I would not recommend this book for the teacher who does an occasional photo lesson in an Art I class.)
Mel
Dec 28, 2011 Mel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am just starting this book but it looks amazing. So much information and beautiful examples provided. Looking forward to reading this book.
Sabina
Aug 25, 2012 Sabina rated it it was amazing
..really one of the best book on photography I read!..
..full of interesting tips and trick for a passionate beginner like me!..
..a must-read!..
Natalie
May 14, 2010 Natalie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an incredibly comprehensive book on film and digital photography, albeit a bit difficult to lift.
May 07, 2010 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent general overview of the photography process from its beginnings through to digital.
Sheri
May 03, 2009 Sheri rated it really liked it
Excellent book for anyone wanting to learn about photography.
Lindsey
Apr 26, 2012 Lindsey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scholarly
Great for beginning film photographers! Easy to read and understand.
Shazia
Nov 30, 2009 Shazia rated it it was amazing
Great book on manual photography for beginners.
Rebecca McNutt
May 03, 2015 Rebecca McNutt rated it it was amazing
Shelves: photography, art, history
The best edition of this book hands down is the 1970 edition. It was a time before inferior yet cheaper digital cameras took over, so the book is entirely for photographers who work with film or want to learn how to work with it. It has simple yet detailed text, vibrant illustrations and an excellent amount of tips on lighting, equipment, processing/developing, lenses, brands and film stocks. If you're one of the few people out there who appreciate the quality and superiority of traditional film ...more
Joe
Jun 14, 2012 Joe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very comprehensive book on photography. I haven't read very many modern day books that explain the "zone" system in such detail. I'd give this a 5 star but I feel that it went a bit too deep into the "chemistry" component of film photography. It's good to know the basics but I feel that the chemistry section needed to be written in a book all by itself. It was explained in detail but I feel it went too far for the context of this book. Also there is an error in the "inverse square law" section s ...more
Clyn
May 25, 2013 Clyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: educational
This is a college photography textbook and teaches the basics of photography. It covers all types of cameras, all sorts of media, and goes into many things that a digital photography hobbyist will not find interesting or even relevent (hence the 3 stars). It does provide a solid base for understanding the principles of photography, and in that sense , is very good. I would definitely recommend it for beginning photographers--just skip the parts that don't apply to your hobby intentions.
Sana KM
Mar 28, 2015 Sana KM rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sana by: Samah
A good read for anyone starting out with photography. It provides a solid base for understanding the basic principles (which makes all those wheels and buttons on your new DSLR less intimidating). I would've loved to see more about composition and less about film processing and darkroom. But that’s the point of the book: it touches on almost every aspect of photography with a moderate amount of detail. A good starting point for beginners.
Amari
Mar 07, 2014 Amari rated it it was amazing
Shelves: photography
This is a marvelous historical reference book with perfectly illustrated, clearly stated explanations of basically every question or concern a photographer could have. Far preferable to googling, this book is incomparable in any edition. The new ones are always expensive, but the old ones are filled with all kinds of wisdom we'd do well to keep in mind when taking photos. Extremely highly recommended for photo enthusiasts of all levels.
Star Shining Forever
Very informative book, and very wide-ranging. It mainly covers film and digital cameras, but also has info on old cameras. It has great basic info and tips on photography, which is what I used mostly, as this book was for my online photography course. The non-applicable parts I just skipped. Covers history of photography and famous photographers too.
Boy
Jan 09, 2008 Boy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any photo student or someone interested in learning everything about photography
Look for the examples for color film grain (ISO 100 & 1600) on page 83. I took those pictures! Wow... flowers...
untogether
Mar 24, 2009 untogether rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: photography
Photography by Barbara London (1997)
Greg
Mar 25, 2009 Greg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
everything you need to know about 35mm and digital photography

gives you the basics, and much more.
Wahiaronkwas David
Excellent resource.
Lady20
very good book
Ian Parkes
Ian Parkes rated it it was amazing
Bryanna Reid
Bryanna Reid rated it it was amazing
Tiffanie
Tiffanie rated it it was amazing
Zachary
Zachary rated it it was amazing
Gabriela Godinez
Gabriela Godinez marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
  • Black and White Photography: A Basic Manual
  • The Moment It Clicks: Photography Secrets from One of the World's Top Shooters
  • Learning to See Creatively: Design, Color and Composition in Photography
  • The Ansel Adams Guide: Basic Techniques of Photography, Book 1 (Ansel Adams Guide to the Basic Techniques of Photography, #1)
  • A World History of Photography
  • Light: Science and Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting
  • Photojournalism: The Professionals' Approach [With Dvdrom]
  • The Camera (Ansel Adams Photography, #1)
  • Camera: A History of Photography from Daguerreotype to Digital
  • The Photographer's Handbook
  • Creative Black & White: Digital Photography Tips & Techniques
  • Night Photography: Finding Your Way In The Dark
  • The Photographer's Mind: Creative Thinking for Better Digital Photos
  • The Digital Photography Book (Volume 2)
  • John Shaw's Nature Photography Field Guide
  • Within the Frame: The Journey of Photographic Vision
  • The Art of Photography: An Approach to Personal Expression

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »