Photography

Photography

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  290 ratings  ·  21 reviews
For introductory and advanced courses in Photography. This best-selling introductory photography text teaches students how to use the medium confidently and effectively by emphasizing both technique and visual awareness. Comprehensive in scope, this book-features superb instructional illustrations and examples in its clear presentation of both black and white and color pho...more
Paperback, Eighth Edition, 432 pages
Published April 19th 2004 by Prentice Hall (first published January 1st 1970)

Anda Manteufel
Without a doubt, this is the best book ever for photography. Begins with "how to load film" and runs through every minor detail you could ever care to know. Then, it ends with a lovely recap of photography history. This book is hefty, weighing-in at about 10 pounds (not a real measurement) and 500 pages (real page count, yes). It's also 14x14 inches in size. I think the current editions are a couple hundred dollars, so buy a used one. This is the 7th edition and I guess it's as good as the curre...more
Stephen
THE book on photographic. I don't rate it 5 stars because of the $100 price, and the need for more updating with current use of software and digital photography.
Notturna
An immensely detailed and very helpful book. It's name is quite apt as in many respects this tome feels like the alpha and omega of photography (from a technical aspect, of course). The chapters are well written, concise and easily understood. With a subject as detailed as photography it can be quite overwhelming to broach for the first time, but there is nothing in this book that made me feel over my head.

I borrowed it from the library to augment my photography class, but as soon as I am finan...more
Daniel Golden
A good book about the basics of photography, but it usually doesn't go into enough detail, and it's retardedly expensive. They could have left out a few of their giant glossy photographs, and gone into more detail about what f-stop means (e.g., what's the lowest f-stop a lens can have? Why?). I thought I would use this book as a reference, but once you read it once, you pretty much know everything.
Phyllis Burstein, DePaul Art Education
Should be on every photography teacher's bookshelf. The newer versions include digital photography, from a traditional photographer's perspective. Make sure you have the most recent version of the book as digital photography is constantly changing. (I would not recommend this book for the teacher who does an occasional photo lesson in an Art I class.)
Mel
I am just starting this book but it looks amazing. So much information and beautiful examples provided. Looking forward to reading this book.
Sabina
..really one of the best book on photography I read!..
..full of interesting tips and trick for a passionate beginner like me!..
..a must-read!..
Natalie
This is an incredibly comprehensive book on film and digital photography, albeit a bit difficult to lift.
An excellent general overview of the photography process from its beginnings through to digital.
Sheri
Excellent book for anyone wanting to learn about photography.
Lindsey
Great for beginning film photographers! Easy to read and understand.
Shazia
Great book on manual photography for beginners.
Joe
Very comprehensive book on photography. I haven't read very many modern day books that explain the "zone" system in such detail. I'd give this a 5 star but I feel that it went a bit too deep into the "chemistry" component of film photography. It's good to know the basics but I feel that the chemistry section needed to be written in a book all by itself. It was explained in detail but I feel it went too far for the context of this book. Also there is an error in the "inverse square law" section s...more
Clyn
This is a college photography textbook and teaches the basics of photography. It covers all types of cameras, all sorts of media, and goes into many things that a digital photography hobbyist will not find interesting or even relevent (hence the 3 stars). It does provide a solid base for understanding the principles of photography, and in that sense , is very good. I would definitely recommend it for beginning photographers--just skip the parts that don't apply to your hobby intentions.
Amari
This is a marvelous historical reference book with perfectly illustrated, clearly stated explanations of basically every question or concern a photographer could have. Far preferable to googling, this book is incomparable in any edition. The new ones are always expensive, but the old ones are filled with all kinds of wisdom we'd do well to keep in mind when taking photos. Extremely highly recommended for photo enthusiasts of all levels.
Star Shining Forever
Very informative book, and very wide-ranging. It mainly covers film and digital cameras, but also has info on old cameras. It has great basic info and tips on photography, which is what I used mostly, as this book was for my online photography course. The non-applicable parts I just skipped. Covers history of photography and famous photographers too.
Boy
Jan 09, 2008 Boy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any photo student or someone interested in learning everything about photography
Look for the examples for color film grain (ISO 100 & 1600) on page 83. I took those pictures! Wow... flowers...
untogether
Photography by Barbara London (1997)
Greg
everything you need to know about 35mm and digital photography

gives you the basics, and much more.
Wahiaronkwas David
Excellent resource.
Lady20
very good book
Gueorgui
Gueorgui marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Joe Damon
Joe Damon marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
  • Black and White Photography: A Basic Manual
  • Learning to See Creatively: Design, Color and Composition in Photography
  • The Camera (Ansel Adams Photography, #1)
  • A World History of Photography by Naomi Rosenblum
  • The Moment It Clicks: Photography Secrets from One of the World's Top Shooters
  • The Art of Photography: An Approach to Personal Expression
  • Light: Science and Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting
  • The Photographer's Eye: Composition and Design for Better Digital Photos
  • Within the Frame: The Journey of Photographic Vision
  • The Digital Photography Book (Volume 3)
  • The Photographer's Eye
  • Henri Cartier-Bresson
  • The Mind's Eye: Writings on Photography and Photographers
  • Criticizing Photographs: An Introduction to Understanding Images
  • Photography and the Art of Seeing: A Visual Perception Workshop for Film and Digital Photography
  • Visual Poetry: A Creative Guide for Making Engaging Digital Photographs
  • National Geographic Photography Field Guide: Secrets to Making Great Pictures
Photography: Adapted from the Life Library of Photography A Short Course in Digital Photography A Short Course in Photography: An Introduction to Photographic Technique (6th Edition) A Short Course in Photography: An Introduction to Black and White Photographic Technique (4th Edition) Essential Photography